Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Rhyno posted:

YOU BASTARD. RUBBING SALT IN THE UNPURCHASED CAR WOUND.

Now you can put it on any old shitpile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Commie posted:

Now you can put it on any old shitpile!

I wonder if I can retrofit them into the Miata.

Edit: So dad's been getting a shitload of blood tests over the last month. He does not have cancer but the protein spike is a sign of circumstances that can lead to it. But since they caught this so early it's probably that they can prevent it from ever being more than a spike.

So, not 100% great but still, I'll take this as confirmation of the cancer free diagnosis we got previously.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 13, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

Classic ends at 1976 because after that I have to get it SMOGed.

I used to have a friend with a '77 Firebird and he was so pissed when the 25 year limit was changed. He was so close.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

I used to have a friend with a '77 Firebird and he was so pissed when the 25 year limit was changed. He was so close.

Did you lose the friend or did he lose the car?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Did you lose the friend or did he lose the car?

I meant he was so close to having the car be smog exempt. I haven't kept in touch with him though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

That definition doesn't fly in AZ because we still have testing for '67 and newer. At least classic insurance will exempt you, and classic insurers are increasingly lenient on what they will cover.

You can get solid copper Classic plates here for anything 25 years or older. It still throws me off to see those plates on GMT400 trucks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My cat, Beetle, that I rescued from under my beetle as a 3 week old kitten when changing the tires after getting them slashed, hasn't eaten for 2 days. He's about a year old. He spent the first day throwing up, constantly. He refuses to drink water or eat, and just sits there. Normally doesn't let you pick him up, but just stays limp now. He had a seizure an hour ago. I just force fed him 20ml of kitten formula / water.

Please don't die. Not on the week I'm leaving Elizabeth. I can't handle this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Get him to a vet right now. My cat was in similar shape and it turned out he'd be poisoned.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Get him to a vet right now. My cat was in similar shape and it turned out he'd be poisoned.

This, cat ate something very not good.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Seriously. Cats not eating means vet ASAP.

Also, I'm in Sacramento and allegedly not going to be hit by a wall of water. We'll see.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Wtf get that cat to the vet what is wrong with you

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cat. Vet. Now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

nm posted:

Also, I'm in Sacramento and allegedly not going to be hit by a wall of water. We'll see.
I don't believe you. On the wall of water part, anyway.

I bet discovery park is completely under water right now.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My cat, Beetle, that I rescued from under my beetle as a 3 week old kitten when changing the tires after getting them slashed, hasn't eaten for 2 days. He's about a year old. He spent the first day throwing up, constantly. He refuses to drink water or eat, and just sits there. Normally doesn't let you pick him up, but just stays limp now. He had a seizure an hour ago. I just force fed him 20ml of kitten formula / water.

Please don't die. Not on the week I'm leaving Elizabeth. I can't handle this.
Cat->Vet ASAP

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Going to echo this VET NOW

Picked up two puppies to foster Saturday. Turns out despite being told they were healthy are very sick, have worms and are terrified of people. Headed to the vet with them this morning for stronger worm meds, parvo test and a check up. They're already doing much better around people and will be great little dogs by the time we're done with them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oh my god they're so cute

They kinda look like rascal did when he was a puppy

Well the ears do anyways

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

NitroSpazzz posted:

Going to echo this VET NOW

Picked up two puppies to foster Saturday. Turns out despite being told they were healthy are very sick, have worms and are terrified of people. Headed to the vet with them this morning for stronger worm meds, parvo test and a check up. They're already doing much better around people and will be great little dogs by the time we're done with them.

A+ good lookin dogs there. Good man for fostering. I keep thinking I should, and keep realizing I don't need to foster-fail 300 dogs. So I just donate time/money to a couple of good local rescues.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Oh my god they're so cute
They kinda look like rascal did when he was a puppy

Well the ears do anyways
You may have the most photogenic dog in the world. They're half rottweiler then part golden mutt.

Siochain posted:

A+ good lookin dogs there. Good man for fostering. I keep thinking I should, and keep realizing I don't need to foster-fail 300 dogs. So I just donate time/money to a couple of good local rescues.
I had always thought about doing it but didn't want to screw up puppies and wasn't sure if I'd be able to let them go. Girlfriend has done it for a few years and is really good at it.

Having a company come give us a quote to fence in the yard today. Will make fostering so much easier and stop the neighbor dogs from barking at us anytime we're in the backyard.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Take your cat to the vet asap and tell your girlfriend you want to break up asap.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

NitroSpazzz posted:

You may have the most photogenic dog in the world. They're half rottweiler then part golden mutt.

I had always thought about doing it but didn't want to screw up puppies and wasn't sure if I'd be able to let them go. Girlfriend has done it for a few years and is really good at it.

Having a company come give us a quote to fence in the yard today. Will make fostering so much easier and stop the neighbor dogs from barking at us anytime we're in the backyard.

Awesome on the fence to.

As to screwing up dogs - given how most people raise them, if you even give a poo poo about training, you'll be better than 75%. The letting them go part is what would kill me.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yay, Dogchat Thread.

Here are my pups:

Apparently I am a gluton for dog punishment because that's two border collies.

One year when I was still living at my old place, a beagle showed up, starving and lonely. Took a couple days to find her owner and I must admit, she was one of the nicest dogs I'd ever met (especially for a beagle) and I was kinda bummed about finding her owner. Not long after I got my first dog, a border collie I named Murray after Bill Murray. Sometimes I think I've screwed him up, but for the most part he is a good dog and listens (when he isn't throwing fits over wanting to go on car rides, his favourite thing ever).

Also, he sleeps in the weirdest loving position:

Anyways, when Murray was a year old I'd started thinking about getting a second dog so that he could have someone to pal around with. Until one day when I was still living at my old place, another dog showed up.

If you can't tell, she's got the head of a black lab and the body of a short-hair border collie, so, basically another border collie. Anyways, this new stranger dog's behaviour made it obvious (with the help of a friend who is a dog behaviourist) that she was mistreated. This dog was scared of literally everything, look at this:

I eventually did track down her owner, despite being extremely loathe to do so, and as it turned out, he was my next door neighbour's brother, and had only had her a week before she'd run off with the hounds he keeps to scare coyotes away from his sheep (this was a rural area and my neighbours were Amish). His hounds will chase coyotes for miles, but they know the way home and it would seem that she got lost and came to the first farmhouse she saw, the one I lived in. Right off the bat he admitted that he regretted getting her because of how timid and fearful she was and I knew this guy well, he practically dotes upon his dogs, of which he has several. Most are work animals, like the hounds, and this dog had been purchased from a tailgate seller at the local cattle auction. A little money changed hands and I ended up keeping her.

Mr. Tailgate-Seller (who's identity I have never learned so I can punch them in the face) had her for 9 months before the Amish guy got her, making it far more likely that the source of her abuse was not my friend's brother, but some random rear end in a top hat slinging puppies on a roadside. Whoever he is, I hope karma catches up to him, because Weaver, named for Sigourney Weaver (my dog naming scheme is actors and actresses from Ghostbusters), is the sweetest dog in the world and all she wants is ear rubs and snuggles. Even now, 3 years later, she still shows signs of her past, but with a lot of help she's a fairly normal dog most of the time now, though usually pretty quiet and still very submissive. Well, submissive to everyone but Murray that is. Most of the time they are good together, but when Murray is doing something I don't want him to, and she knows I don't want him doing it, she'll up and bite him on the nose and I have yet to figure out a good way to get her to not do it because she only does it when she thinks I'm not around to tell Murray to stop being an idiot. Training her is very hard, and I assuming it will be an ongoing process for the rest of her life.

Of course, there are times, usually brief, when she does smile.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 13, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yay, Dogchat Thread.

Here are my pups:

Apparently I am a gluton for dog punishment because that's two border collies.

One year when I was still living at my old place, a beagle showed up, starving and lonely. Took a couple days to find her owner and I must admit, she was one of the nicest dogs I'd ever met (especially for a beagle) and I was kinda bummed about finding her owner. Not long after I got my first dog, a border collie I named Murray after Bill Murray. Sometimes I think I've screwed him up, but for the most part he is a good dog and listens (when he isn't throwing fits over wanting to go on car rides, his favourite thing ever).

Also, he sleeps in the weirdest loving position:

Anyways, when Murray was a year old I'd started thinking about getting a second dog so that he could have someone to pal around with. Until one day when I was still living at my old place, another dog showed up.

If you can't tell, she's got the head of a black lab and the body of a short-hair border collie, so, basically another border collie. Anyways, this new stranger dog's behaviour made it obvious (with the help of a friend who is a dog behaviourist) that she was mistreated. This dog was scared of literally everything, look at this:

I eventually did track down her owner, despite being extremely loathe to do so, and as it turned out, he was my next door neighbour's brother, and had only had her a week before she'd run off with the hounds he keeps to scare coyotes away from his sheep (this was a rural area and my neighbours were Amish). His hounds will chase coyotes for miles, but they know the way home and it would seem that she got lost and came to the first farmhouse she saw, the one I lived in. Right off the bat he admitted that he regretted getting her because of how timid and fearful she was and I knew this guy well, he practically dotes upon his dogs, of which he has several. Most are work animals, like the hounds, and this dog had been purchased from a tailgate seller at the local cattle auction. A little money changed hands and I ended up keeping her.

Mr. Tailgate-Seller (who's identity I have never learned so I can punch them in the face) had her for 9 months before the Amish guy got her, making it far more likely that the source of her abuse was not my friend's brother, but some random rear end in a top hat slinging puppies on a roadside. Whoever he is, I hope karma catches up to him, because Weaver, named for Sigourney Weaver (my dog naming scheme is actors and actresses from Ghostbusters), is the sweetest dog in the world and all she wants is ear rubs and snuggles. Even now, 3 years later, she still shows signs of her past, but with a lot of help she's a fairly normal dog most of the time now, though usually pretty quiet and still very submissive. Well, submissive to everyone but Murray that is. Most of the time they are good together, but when Murray is doing something I don't want him to, and she knows I don't want him doing it, she'll up and bite him on the nose and I have yet to figure out a good way to get her to not do it because she only does it when she thinks I'm not around to tell Murray to stop being an idiot. Training her is very hard, and I assuming it will be an ongoing process for the rest of her life.

Of course, there are times, usually brief, when she does smile.

oh my god ahhhhhhh :)

my first dog was a border collie named shadow. my parents were not Real Dog people so they thought it was fine to let him have run of the house while we were gone and he always left us a punishment in our playroom whenever we got home

he was super chill though, mostly because he was an 10 y.o rescue dog who liked to escape a lot. he always let me rest my 6 year old head on his chest while we watched tv together and i was so sad when my dad had to take him away to be put down

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yay, Dogchat Thread.

Here are my pups:

Your dog reminded me of the last panel.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

clam ache posted:

That has been my breakfast of choice since I was a little boy and had some with my grandpa in bunfuck Georgia. Have yelled at many a chef over the bullshit they sent instead of biscuits and gravy. When my grandpa died we went to the resteraunt he always chose and they had some of the best.

Do you mind to name the resturant? I wanna check it out.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I don't know if all dogs do indeed go to heaven, but they may have already achieved a state of enlightenment

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

And people call me weird for liking cats.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Anyone who obsesses about anything is weird. Like that's a universal given.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If u don't obsess about your handsome beautiful amazing doggo then you're not human

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ouch first fence estimate came back at $4500 and he even forgot to include a section so that was ~1800 low. I knew it would be expensive but drat. Have another company coming out Wednesday afternoon. I guess I should have measured it out myself then did some checking but I was not expecting that at all.

Puppies don't have parvo which we were really worried about. Just worms, dehydrated, malnourished and some type of puppy cold. More meds, bag of fluid for each and wet food until they start packing on some weight.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Ouch first fence estimate came back at $4500 and he even forgot to include a section so that was ~1800 low. I knew it would be expensive but drat. Have another company coming out Wednesday afternoon. I guess I should have measured it out myself then did some checking but I was not expecting that at all.

Puppies don't have parvo which we were really worried about. Just worms, dehydrated, malnourished and some type of puppy cold. More meds, bag of fluid for each and wet food until they start packing on some weight.

I've never not just built my own fences so I'm curious as to how much fence you're talking about here/what it's made of because that is a serious chunk of change.

Glad to hear the pups don't have anything too serious.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Great, now I've got people on ebay asking me for prices to ship car parts to Russian. In Russian, of course.

*Verifies range to target, one ping only*

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, my batteries are dead. This sucks, i better pull them out.

*snap*

poo poo, the front retaining bar snapped. No worries, that'll be cheap to replace, and it fell out afterwards. I'll just remove the t clamp and fin-...oh.

poo poo. Lemme try and pull them out together, maybe they'll pull free as a pair.

Awesome, they came out! ...but they're still attached to each other?

WTF?

Oh. Well, gently caress. At least it's only $200 for a battery box and $400 for new batteries, right?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

I've never not just built my own fences so I'm curious as to how much fence you're talking about here/what it's made of because that is a serious chunk of change.

Glad to hear the pups don't have anything too serious.

Original quote is 86' of pine privacy fence at $16/ft with one 4' gate and 166' (actually 285) chain link at $15/ft. One option if we want it up asap and use these guys is do the 86' of wood fence then a short 16' of chain link to close off the end which would allow me to do the rest of the area with a livestock fence as time allows.

I've never installed a fence before but at those kind of prices I might be.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Original quote is 86' of pine privacy fence at $16/ft with one 4' gate and 166' (actually 285) chain link at $15/ft. One option if we want it up asap and use these guys is do the 86' of wood fence then a short 16' of chain link to close off the end which would allow me to do the rest of the area with a livestock fence as time allows.

Depending on what kind of soil you have it can be either super-easy or stupidly infuriating to dig the post holes. But, as long as you can get the posts plum and an even spacing from each other, the fence panels are pretty straightforward (well, if you go with a simple design, I guess).

You could probably shave a good 1/3rd (or more) of that price off by doing it yourself (again, depending on materials), but you'll pay for it in sweat. I highly recommend renting a power auger for doing the post holes, though, if you can use one. I did the post holes my parents' backyard privacy fence by hand but that's because it's all gravel here past 6" down and the power auger just kept stalling. That summer was literally the only time in my life I could be considered "buff" (also, sunburned).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

Biscuits and gravy are all well and good, but the one true Southern breakfast will always been country fried steak, hashbrowns, and eggs. :colbert:

WITH biscuits and gravy. Duh.

Cop Porn Popper posted:

Over easy or scrambled are the only correct choices. :colbert:

Close. Scrambled with cheese is correct

Goober Peas posted:

On another forum I'm on, someone asked for a definition of what constitutes 'Classic'. Seemingly every boomer said that 'Classic' should only apply to things from 1950-1969. And actively argued their point. These are the people who are making America great again :rolleyes:

My 1970 Cutlass would like to have a word.

InitialDave posted:

Is this car show run by :corsair: types by any chance?

Almost always.

nm posted:

Move to a state where the DMV isn't run by eco-Nazis.

Doges:

Is there anything more pitiful than a blind dog in a cone of shame?
Thanks to diabetes, he went blind from cataracts in the course of about a week. Because it was so sudden, he didn't have time to get used to not being able to see, so he's having a hard time of it. He still moves too quickly, without probing ahead. The cone is for the protection of his head, basically. He managed to dislocate his tear ducts ("cherry eye") last week from crashing into stuff. He's learning, and the cone should come off this week.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Depending on what kind of soil you have it can be either super-easy or stupidly infuriating to dig the post holes. But, as long as you can get the posts plum and an even spacing from each other, the fence panels are pretty straightforward (well, if you go with a simple design, I guess).

You could probably shave a good 1/3rd (or more) of that price off by doing it yourself (again, depending on materials), but you'll pay for it in sweat. I highly recommend renting a power auger for doing the post holes, though, if you can use one. I did the post holes my parents' backyard privacy fence by hand but that's because it's all gravel here past 6" down and the power auger just kept stalling. That summer was literally the only time in my life I could be considered "buff" (also, sunburned).

gently caress building fence forever. I spent a summer of weekends once helping my dad rebuild the barbed-wire fence on my great-uncle's property that our property adjoined. This is North Texas, and better still, more or less a hilltop, so there were rocks everywhere. We had a tractor (Ford 8N) with an auger, but it would get stuck on the bigger rocks. Guess who got to be the designated rock breaker and soil tamper? My shoulders were in good shape that summer...
Best part is that that side of the family went full rear end in a top hat when Uncle Buddy died, and the property ended up being sold to developers. All my hard work torn out in the span of hours.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

Soil here is rocks and clay aka horrible poo poo to dig. We'll see what the other quotes come in at.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

BloodBag posted:

And people call me weird for liking cats.

Ah, well, I too like cats, but don't have any. Weaver's a lot better around them these days but a couple months after she showed up at the farm she chased down a feral kitten and picked it up with her mouth too roughly. Unfortunately it didn't survive and I don't think feral momcat ever forgave me.

My parents have a cat, another random shower-upper, when he was only a few weeks old he would come sit on your lap if you were on their front porch and had some food. Eventually he decided to move in and this is Felix the day he stopped being a feral cat all on his own:

My dogs get along great with him, to my relief, but that took a lot of very careful supervised introductions and tbqh, now he bosses my dogs around whenever my parents are taking care of them since I work 12 hour shifts. Weaver has never attempted to pick him up with her mouth.

Felix does some funny stuff, can be a bit of a spaz sometimes, but all he really wants to do is just chill and drink a Diet Canada Dry:

He ran out the door in Spring of last year, and not long after one of my parents' neighbours instituted a pogrom against the local ferals, poisoning several (I reported them but nothing ever came of it despite this being highly illegal), and shooting a few others (which is not illegal). Because there was no sign of him at all, my folks eventually figured he'd been killed by the assholes (who also own a golden redumbass they never control). It was hard for my dad, because despite being the one who was most against letting Felix stay when he moved in, Felix was most-assuredly, my dad's cat.

Then Winter Came (tm), and one day in early December (In Canada, Winter is basically half the year.) my mom opened the door and a small black and white cat ran in the door and started meowing its head off. Felix came back. Turned out he was probably hiding out near by and eventually got cold and hungry enough to stop being afraid of the other surviving feral cats that live on my parents' property.

There's another feral who is probably about halfway between full-on human-hating and food-giver trusting. We call her Charlie, after Charlie Chaplain. She is Felix's sole surviving littermate, and another tuxedo cat, but her fur makes her look like she has Hitler's hairstyle and moustache. I jokingly called her Adolf at first, until we managed to figure out she was a she, not a he.

Some days Charlie will timidly poke her head inside the front door, and she will almost always come over when she hears it open, ready to receieve food. Ready to hiss at you if you don't have a can of wet catfood in hand. She's only ever let me pet her once, but that was over a year ago. Hard to say, but my mom's hoping eventually Charlie realizes that inside is warmer and has better food, but they won't trap her and bring her in, has to be her choice.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 13, 2017

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's a lot of money!

I've just worked out what I would pay here for fence and had a quick look at the equivalent on homedepot.com and there looks to be an awful lot of labour in that quote!

You should price the parts up yourself before getting a quote like that so that you can see how much labour they are pricing into it. And then bear in mind that a any good contractor should also be paying less for materials than you would be.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe it's all cedar, including the posts?

Idk, I could build a shitload of cedar privacy fence for $4500.

Fencebuilding is easy, just make sure you mark out where the posts are going beforehand. I've seen lots of contractor-jobs where they just kind of randomly dig holes and cut fence panels to fit. Instead, figure out your panel size (typically 8' or 10' long because of standard lumber lengths), and put your posts at those distances.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bear in mind that privacy fencing needs to have a poo poo ton of concrete to stand the wind load. We've had a lot of wind storms the last couple years, and a lot of privacy fencing hit the dirt.

Edit: and if you live somewhere that has real winter, you have to account for frost heave, or at least that's what I gather watching TOH, and Mike Holmes.

• Locked thread