Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Second gif of resolution/saving the guy has about 1/10 views of the first one. Nobody wants to see the guy be ok(-ish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
The Oroville situation is interesting. One of the posters I saw recently was all about climate "whiplash," which, more or less, is the phenomenon where 5-10 years of a certain kind of weather manage to erode preparedness and mitigation efforts relating to other kinds of weather. So when an incident strikes - be it historically predictable or unprecedented - it has even more of an effect simply because resources had been pointing in the opposite direction, e.g., drought and wildfire mitigation. More and more people are talking about this, because it would seem that our ride up to 4 C or whatever is going to be a bit more volatile than a simple line of annual averages on a projection might suggest.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
And of course, it's all Dem's fault:
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/830979971409522688

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I was expecting "god's punishment for voting Killary" but still appropriate:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fasdar posted:

The Oroville situation is interesting. One of the posters I saw recently was all about climate "whiplash," which, more or less, is the phenomenon where 5-10 years of a certain kind of weather manage to erode preparedness and mitigation efforts relating to other kinds of weather. So when an incident strikes - be it historically predictable or unprecedented - it has even more of an effect simply because resources had been pointing in the opposite direction, e.g., drought and wildfire mitigation. More and more people are talking about this, because it would seem that our ride up to 4 C or whatever is going to be a bit more volatile than a simple line of annual averages on a projection might suggest.

This isn’t an immediate result of climate change inaction. The spillway was inspected not long ago and no issues were found then.

Clearly the inspection process will be overhauled, but it wasn’t a situation where people knew the infrastructure was D− and deferred maintenance.

If the levees (dykes) downstream fail, that would be more of a “told you so”.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I mean Jerry Brown has been working for several years to get a major reworking of the dam and levee system, but he has had to fight farming interests tooth and nail because it means that they wont be able to waste as much water on crops not suited for the region

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean Jerry Brown has been working for several years to get a major reworking of the dam and levee system, but he has had to fight farming interests tooth and nail because it means that they wont be able to waste as much water on crops not suited for the region

uhh i'm sorry sir but we have to STOP THE GOVERNMENT CREATED DROUGHT STOP THE TUNNELS ARGLEBARGLE

driving up and down highway 99 sure is fun

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Raskolnikov38 posted:

driving up and down highway 99 sure is fun
Not tonight it isn't...

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Platystemon posted:

This isn’t an immediate result of climate change inaction. The spillway was inspected not long ago and no issues were found then.

Clearly the inspection process will be overhauled, but it wasn’t a situation where people knew the infrastructure was D− and deferred maintenance.

If the levees (dykes) downstream fail, that would be more of a “told you so”.

Sorry, to be more clear, the term "climate whiplash" was actually referring more to the intense swings in climate expression that we're likely to see. The erosion of preparedness was one thing that people worried about, and have seen elsewhere. From what you say, this is definitely the former rather than the latter.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

FMguru posted:

Not tonight it isn't...

it never is

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, what's that thing republicans are always saying? "we need to direct more government attention and tax revenue to maintaining massive state-owned infrastructure projects with only an indirect benefit to society and no obvious immediate payoff," something like that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, what's that thing republicans are always saying? "we need to direct more government attention and tax revenue to maintaining massive state-owned infrastructure projects with no obvious immediate payoff," something like that?

“If Nestlé owned the dam, this wouldn’t have happened.”

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Kurt Sphincter's tweet gets even richer:

Oroville Dam: Feds and state officials ignored warnings 12 years ago https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/12/oroville-dam-feds-and-state-officials-ignored-warnings-12-years-ago/

Hmm who were the president and governor in 2005?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

The valley is about to have a slight market correction

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Platystemon posted:

Bottled water can't break dams.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

Bottled water can't break dams.

Can you imagine a wave of bottles filled with water coming at you though? You may not drown but the blunt force trauma is certainly going to maim you.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'll be dead of dehydration far before.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I used to have frequent nightmares about malfunctioning elevators.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://twitter.com/CA_DWR/status/831024939100631040

That's good news at least

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's going to happen to the big hole in the concrete of the main spillway? How long can it stand up to heavy use before the rest of it starts flaking off?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah they managed to stop the emergency spillway by dumping 100,000cfs down this all day and night

FCKGW posted:

It's getting a tad worse

Their current plan is to try and drain the water fast enough that they can then try and repair both damaged spillways before the water rises back up to the emergency spillway again.

I assume before the rains all next week.

During the news conference the one guy answering questions said "There might be more erosion on the main spillway" so the pictures tomorrow should look interesting.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Space Crabs posted:

Yeah they managed to stop the emergency spillway by dumping 100,000cfs down this all day and night

Their current plan is to try and drain the water fast enough that they can then try and repair both damaged spillways before the water rises back up to the emergency spillway again.

I assume before the rains all next week.

During the news conference the one guy answering questions said "There might be more erosion on the main spillway" so the pictures tomorrow should look interesting.

Yea... the main spillway is ruined anyways, so I think they are better off just using it for now. It's a far better idea than allowing the auxiliary spillway to continue eroding the dam itself

Hopefully they can cancel the evacuation orders if things are stable enough

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The damage to the spillway looks worse from that perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2aD53JIDzo

Video is from a couple days ago, but it hasn’t been posted in the thread before and it gives you an idea of how long the spillway is and how far down the hole started.

Jump to 1:40 to skip the lead‐in.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 13, 2017

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If that was 60 hours ago and only 40,000 cf/s, it's gonna look like an ice cream scoop got taken to the hillside by morning. Headcutting is the erosion pushing back and in against what it's pouring over, I take it? How much of that can an already crumbling concrete chute take, and for how long?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWEg12ckdjE&t=45s

The hillside is taking a beating, but the concrete wasn’t much shorter as of sundown yesterday.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well gently caress, I can't jerk off to that.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

What's going to happen to the big hole in the concrete of the main spillway? How long can it stand up to heavy use before the rest of it starts flaking off?

Echoing what others said, the main spillway is trashed at this point, so I'm assuming they're just going to try and slow down the erosion occurring at the screwed up area. Reuters says that they're going to use helicopters to drop rock into the hole which would at least control the rate of erosion/undermining. Anything you can do to deflect the kinetic energy of the falling water away from the eroded base is a good thing. It's good news that flow over the auxiliary spillway has ceased. Maybe the rains will be light this week.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Echoing what others said, the main spillway is trashed at this point, so I'm assuming they're just going to try and slow down the erosion occurring at the screwed up area. Reuters says that they're going to use helicopters to drop rock into the hole which would at least control the rate of erosion/undermining. Anything you can do to deflect the kinetic energy of the falling water away from the eroded base is a good thing. It's good news that flow over the auxiliary spillway has ceased. Maybe the rains will be light this week.

I love that it was sarcastically suggested that concrete be dropped in by helicopters to fill up the hole last week, and now they're just airdropping rocks.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I love that it was sarcastically suggested that concrete be dropped in by helicopters to fill up the hole last week, and now they're just airdropping rocks.

Well, chunks of cured concrete would work, yes, but liquid uncured concrete will still just wash away. I'm sure that since most of the landscape downstream of the auxiliary discharge is wasted, they're, like, let's just drop loving anything in there to break up the flow, and hope it holds. Hell, old cars would do the trick too, for that matter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
At this point I assume that the people up the chain of command who were responsible for overseeing the upkeep of the dam are getting a lot of poo poo from pretty much the entire country for letting things get so bad that entire towns need to be evacuated and they're desperate to be seen to be doing anything at all so if the only two options are A) sit and watch or B) drop rocks out of helis they'll go for option B even if there's only a tiny tiny chance it'll be at all effective.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Platystemon posted:

Ha. Nestle would put the dam and property under the supervision of a Delaware shell company which would poof into oblivion the instant something bad happened.

My father had to threaten to stop working for a particular landowner because they were not going to replace a rusted and leaking spillway in a dam holding a 100acre pond. They got it fixed right before a 1-in-1000 year flood event that would have easily breached the damaged dam and taken out a nearby 4-lane highway.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Flaggy posted:

If you squint this looks like MST3K, which it most likely is.

"He Tried to Kill Me with a Forklift" could be the thread's themesong.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

They're got about a week to do any emergency repairs because a large storm is about to dump a ton of water in the area again next weekend. It's likely the emergency overflow will be used again very shortly.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

They're got about a week to do any emergency repairs because a large storm is about to dump a ton of water in the area again next weekend. It's likely the emergency overflow will be used again very shortly.

The rain is actually supposed to be back in just three days.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rah! posted:

The rain is actually supposed to be back in just three days.

Oh.

That's much worse.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

At this point I assume that the people up the chain of command who were responsible for overseeing the upkeep of the dam are getting a lot of poo poo from pretty much the entire country for letting things get so bad that entire towns need to be evacuated and they're desperate to be seen to be doing anything at all so if the only two options are A) sit and watch or B) drop rocks out of helis they'll go for option B even if there's only a tiny tiny chance it'll be at all effective.

I'm not so sure that it was the upkeep of the dam that's the problem. Unless, the recent inspection of the spillway was conducted by complete idiots. I worked awhile for a civil engineering design firm, and when we did storm water collection systems, they would be designed to handle the "100 year storm event". I don't know what statistical specifications that dam was built under, but it's real possible we are experiencing the storm event that it wasn't designed for. Meaning, even if the main spillway wasn't toast, the auxiliary spillway might've been forced into use by the weather pattern anyway. So, at this point, the only thing they can do is damage control. Treat the symptoms. You can't stop the rain. Unfortunately, torrential rainfalls in the near future will just be throwing gasoline on the fire. Crap.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The comments suggest that it is the liberals and their global warming agenda which distracted everyone from the possibility of this happening.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I'm not so sure that it was the upkeep of the dam that's the problem. Unless, the recent inspection of the spillway was conducted by complete idiots. I worked awhile for a civil engineering design firm, and when we did storm water collection systems, they would be designed to handle the "100 year storm event". I don't know what statistical specifications that dam was built under, but it's real possible we are experiencing the storm event that it wasn't designed for. Meaning, even if the main spillway wasn't toast, the auxiliary spillway might've been forced into use by the weather pattern anyway. So, at this point, the only thing they can do is damage control. Treat the symptoms. You can't stop the rain. Unfortunately, torrential rainfalls in the near future will just be throwing gasoline on the fire. Crap.

lol that dam was probably inspected when it was built and left at that

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

A 100 year storm event this is not, this is just the straw that broke the camels back and there's a good chance the thing hasn't been given a thorough inspected in a decade or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My impression is that the main spillway was inspected and even repaired fairly recently.