Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Monk E posted:

So I just ended up digging out my old ds because apparently the ds version of battle network 5 isn't 3ds compatible and figured I might as well take advantage of the newfound knowledge that my ds survived years of abandonment any notable obscure game boy advance rpgs you can recommend only really developed more of a taste for them as I got older so I the only ones I played back then were pokemon and battle network.

RPGs:

FF6
Golden Sun
Mother 3
Lunar Legend

Action-RPGs:

Zelda
Boktai
Sword of Mana
Summon Night
Mario & Luigi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I think I remember seeing a thread a while ago about an Airport Management game that seemed really in depth. Does anyone remember what game that was?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Thats not the only extremely obvious plot twist tbh

Don't tell me, she loves me so hard she ends up going Dark Side...somehow. It wouldn't make much sense, but neither does the Star Wars universe in general.

It's either that or the wookie betrays me.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

What are some games where you can be like John Wick and get brutal, quick kills on loads of enemies, using guns and hand to hand combat? I like Payday 2 for that (especially since you can actually BE Wick), GTA, and the Hotline Miami games. Counter Strike also fits the bill to a lesser extent (it's a lot harder to go on a killing spree without dying yourself.) Anything else out there?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Queering Wheel posted:

What are some games where you can be like John Wick and get brutal, quick kills on loads of enemies, using guns and hand to hand combat? I like Payday 2 for that (especially since you can actually BE Wick), GTA, and the Hotline Miami games. Counter Strike also fits the bill to a lesser extent (it's a lot harder to go on a killing spree without dying yourself.) Anything else out there?
SUPERHOT isn't great but gets this particular aspect down perfectly. Watching the real-time replay at the end makes you feel like a cool rear end-dude.

Resident Evil 6 is... interesting but has a really great combat system, with quick-shots, sliding, dodging, loads of contextual melee moves, counters and so on. The transition between melee and gunning is done really, really well, it feels less like two binary states and more like one smooth, combined set of moves where you always have a few different options in any given situation.

RONIN is a really good and underrated game which takes a bit from Hotline Miami, a bit from Gunpoint etc. Basically you use an extremely flexible set of core moves to kill everyone in the room in a turn-based 2D stealth-ish platformer style. It works a lot better than it sounds like it should!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Queering Wheel posted:

What are some games where you can be like John Wick and get brutal, quick kills on loads of enemies, using guns and hand to hand combat?

You mean like Doom?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Queering Wheel posted:

Did you ever play Volition's Punisher game?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You mean like Doom?

I'm assuming you're referring to new Doom here, but also worth checking out is the Demonsteele mod for classic Doom.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

SUPERHOT isn't great but gets this particular aspect down perfectly. Watching the real-time replay at the end makes you feel like a cool rear end-dude.

Resident Evil 6 is... interesting but has a really great combat system, with quick-shots, sliding, dodging, loads of contextual melee moves, counters and so on. The transition between melee and gunning is done really, really well, it feels less like two binary states and more like one smooth, combined set of moves where you always have a few different options in any given situation.

RONIN is a really good and underrated game which takes a bit from Hotline Miami, a bit from Gunpoint etc. Basically you use an extremely flexible set of core moves to kill everyone in the room in a turn-based 2D stealth-ish platformer style. It works a lot better than it sounds like it should!

Thanks, I haven't played any of these so I'll look into them.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You mean like Doom?

Yeah, I guess the new Doom is also similar to what I want. I already have it, still working on beating it.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did you ever play Volition's Punisher game?

I rented it around when it came out and I remember not being very impressed.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Queering Wheel posted:

Sleeping Dogs sounds like what you want. It's basically a GTA set in Hong Kong, but with a Batman/Arkham style hand to hand combat system built in that works really well.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man I forgot i bought sleeping dogs last year. I've got a right hankering for an open world game too

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Queering Wheel posted:

John Woo's Stranglehold is basically suppose to be a replica of 80s-90s hongkong crime films with lots of absurd action sequences. Not much martial arts and hand to hand combat but a lot of cool combos with the environment like sliding on the rails and shooting with dual beratta. A lot of fun stuff in that game. It came out of 2007 but it still looks alright. Games from that era haven't aged badly compared to the old ps1 era games atleast yet.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Queering Wheel posted:

EYE Divine Cybermancy has really good gunplay and as an immortal undead cyborg you can do some pretty ridiculous killing sprees. Good luck understanding the plot or why/how you can look at people to telefrag them with a werewolf!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Queering Wheel posted:

The only game that comes to mind is Matrix Path of Neo. Maybe the Uncharted series?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

dkj posted:

I think I remember seeing a thread a while ago about an Airport Management game that seemed really in depth. Does anyone remember what game that was?

The SNES game Aerobiz?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any games that are like XCOM or Darkest Dungeon except I don't actually have to play out the combat? Something like just the Geoscape from XCOM where I manage my bases and resources and research and put together squads of soldiers to send on missions which they complete on their own would be cool.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe total war series but its not individual units but an entire army so you don't really get to have a squad or anything. But the base building is basically the whole map of the world. You can make cities, fortress, advance your technological tree or military. A lot of the fun of total war is playing out the combat but if your army is strong enough you can basically sim all the battles. In some total wars, the simulation is crap so you lose to ai alot.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are there any games that are like XCOM or Darkest Dungeon except I don't actually have to play out the combat? Something like just the Geoscape from XCOM where I manage my bases and resources and research and put together squads of soldiers to send on missions which they complete on their own would be cool.

For XCOM look into XcomUtil which does have an AutoCombat feature to automatically resolve combat. I've been arguing that Open XCOM needs to implement such a feature for a long time, but no one's interested in doing so.

Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 patches also have an auto resolve feature.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Thanks Summon Night looks interesting and and apparently I had Lunar Legend mixed up with Dragon Song.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Queering Wheel posted:

The Darkness II, Shadow Warrior 1 & 2 (the modern remakes), any of the Serious Sam games, Bulletstorm,...all games I've played that fit the bill and that I would recommend.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

It's old, but Majesty sounds like what you're looking for. You manage a town and collect resources why setting up quest for NPC's to complete.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

gohuskies posted:

I highly recommend you play KOTOR 2 as well, it has a much more interesting and complex story (to the point it can be difficult to catch some plot points without spending a great deal of time in long conversation trees) and also some better new gameplay options as well that make non-lightsaber more feasible. I like it much more than 1. I also don't feel the cut content replacement mods are necessary but some people are big fans of them.

I am planning on doing just this, seeing as I've beaten KOTOR an hour ago. My character being a generic meathead space marine with retro-future sunglasses, rather than a Jedi, made all the cutscenes much funnier, but for KOTOR 2 I want to be more prepared.

Which mods should I be installing? What is the most effective class/which stats should I be pumping or dumping if I pick said class?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Phlegmish posted:

I am planning on doing just this, seeing as I've beaten KOTOR an hour ago. My character being a generic meathead space marine with retro-future sunglasses, rather than a Jedi, made all the cutscenes much funnier, but for KOTOR 2 I want to be more prepared.

Which mods should I be installing? What is the most effective class/which stats should I be pumping or dumping if I pick said class?

KOTOR 2 is a very easy game in general, but there are a couple fights that are harder. There's one where the Atton character has to fight melee enemies solo and if you spec him as a gunslinger, he can have trouble with it. And there is a new unarmed hand-to-hand fighting mechanic that they add in and force you to do a couple unarmed fights. Any guardian/fighter PC can do fine, but a non-fighter PC may need to get creative. Probably not worth actually putting skill points into, but you might need to be ready with a saved game and preset mines or other stuff to help cheese the fights.

Minor spoilers, but you can train nearly all the non-Jedi NPCs to be Jedi if you spend enough time making the right choices in their conversation trees and if you have a bunch of Jedi characters and min-max the lightsaber customization mechanics, the game gets super easy in general.

Edit: also, I think the story and ending works a lot better if you go light side.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 15, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ulio posted:

total war

Total War is cool and this is how I usually play them (auto-resolve combat) but so much of the focus of those games is on the actual combat that they always end up feeling a little shallow as purely empire management games.

Malt posted:

It's old, but Majesty sounds like what you're looking for. You manage a town and collect resources why setting up quest for NPC's to complete.

I love Majesty and have played a lot of Majesty 1, but I heard mixed things about Majesty 2. Ideally I'd like something that plays out as a long campaign instead of individual missions, though.

A big part of what I'm looking for is developing, equipping and getting attached to my characters, and getting sad when I lose them. I love games like XCOM/X-Com, Darkest Dungeon, Battle Brothers, etc. and I even enjoy the combat in them, but I always find myself saving and exiting when I have to do a third combat segment in a row without much geoscape/overworld interaction, and I always find myself wanting to continue on the geoscape a little longer when a mission pops up. I like the macro management of a squad of soldiers but would prefer it without the micro management of what they do each turn in battle.

Cantorsdust posted:

For XCOM look into XcomUtil which does have an AutoCombat feature to automatically resolve combat. I've been arguing that Open XCOM needs to implement such a feature for a long time, but no one's interested in doing so.

Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 patches also have an auto resolve feature.

Hell yeah, I had no idea that either JA2 or X-Com had auto-resolve combat. That's the stuff. Are they actually viable to play with automatic combat or is it the kind of thing that's intended to be used sparingly when you just don't feel like doing a mission?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Try management games like out of the park baseball, motorsport manager, eastside hockey or football manager. They're exactly what you want.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Hell yeah, I had no idea that either JA2 or X-Com had auto-resolve combat. That's the stuff. Are they actually viable to play with automatic combat or is it the kind of thing that's intended to be used sparingly when you just don't feel like doing a mission?

I've played almost the entirety of XCOM with auto-resolve. The only thing it won't do is capture aliens, so you'll have to play the occasional battle to capture them for research.

Vanilla JA2 has a lot of randomness in its autoresolve, but the 1.13 patch has that configurable so you have less bullshit losses of troops. It should be fully playable with autoresolve, but it's been a while since I've played it, so I could be misremembering.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

I've played almost the entirety of XCOM with auto-resolve. The only thing it won't do is capture aliens, so you'll have to play the occasional battle to capture them for research.

Vanilla JA2 has a lot of randomness in its autoresolve, but the 1.13 patch has that configurable so you have less bullshit losses of troops. It should be fully playable with autoresolve, but it's been a while since I've played it, so I could be misremembering.

Do you know if 1.13 is compatible with the Steam version of JA2? My understanding is it wasn't and that makes it a lot less convenient.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Phlegmish posted:

The only mod that's super recommended is the restored content mod off the steam workshop. Anything else is up to you. And yeah, as was said there's only a few sections where kotor2's difficulty ramps up, but you get a lot more options to deal with poo poo. Guns become less of a joke and you can even wreck poo poo with your fists. Of the classes Guardian is the easiest one to roll with for most content. Aside from that, going Male and Lightside lets you see the story kinda how it's meant to be told.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

gohuskies posted:

Do you know if 1.13 is compatible with the Steam version of JA2? My understanding is it wasn't and that makes it a lot less convenient.

I don't specifically know, as I used the GOG version, but this guide seems to suggest it installs okay.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want more games like Tales of Berseria

I love the fighting system, I love the story, I love the item crafting / disenchanting, I love the whole thing, hell even the anime has grown on me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

gohuskies posted:

KOTOR 2 is a very easy game in general, but there are a couple fights that are harder. There's one where the Atton character has to fight melee enemies solo and if you spec him as a gunslinger, he can have trouble with it. And there is a new unarmed hand-to-hand fighting mechanic that they add in and force you to do a couple unarmed fights. Any guardian/fighter PC can do fine, but a non-fighter PC may need to get creative. Probably not worth actually putting skill points into, but you might need to be ready with a saved game and preset mines or other stuff to help cheese the fights.

Minor spoilers, but you can train nearly all the non-Jedi NPCs to be Jedi if you spend enough time making the right choices in their conversation trees and if you have a bunch of Jedi characters and min-max the lightsaber customization mechanics, the game gets super easy in general.

Edit: also, I think the story and ending works a lot better if you go light side.

Brainamp posted:

The only mod that's super recommended is the restored content mod off the steam workshop. Anything else is up to you. And yeah, as was said there's only a few sections where kotor2's difficulty ramps up, but you get a lot more options to deal with poo poo. Guns become less of a joke and you can even wreck poo poo with your fists. Of the classes Guardian is the easiest one to roll with for most content. Aside from that, going Male and Lightside lets you see the story kinda how it's meant to be told.

Alright, based on this:

- Install restored content mod
- Spec main character as male light side Guardian with lightsaber
- Spec Atton as melee fighter (Jedi?)

I suppose I should be pumping STR and CON. DEX might be useful for defense. Uh, is there a dump stat for my build? Even INT might be useful if it works the same way as in the first game.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Weird idea, but you could play HOMM3 (or a newer one I guess) with auto combat on? That has fun hero/army building, overworld exploration, and base building.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, based on this:

- Install restored content mod
- Spec main character as male light side Guardian with lightsaber
- Spec Atton as melee fighter (Jedi?)

I suppose I should be pumping STR and CON. DEX might be useful for defense. Uh, is there a dump stat for my build? Even INT might be useful if it works the same way as in the first game.

There are no dump stats, especially considering you can use skills in conversations. So having STR and CON will make fights easier, but raising other stats will open up new dialogue choices.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are there any Transport Tycoon type games that are new enough to use with a touch screen in Windows? My ASUS tablet can run OpenTTD with no issues, but I'd like something I can run in tablet mode. I would also like to avoid games with a bunch of in-app purchases if I go through the windows store.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What are some of the must haves for the PS4 right now? I got $60 in PS gift cards and don't know what to get. I already have RE7, FF XV, Uncharted 4, Last of Us, and Bloodborne. Is there anything else that are crazy amazing good or should I save my gift cards for stuff coming down the line?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yakuza 0.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If you like Bloodborne, grab Nioh for sure. Yakuza 0 is brilliant though so go with that over anything else.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gravity Rush

Edit: Do not buy The Witness. It's a frustratingly bad puzzle game.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 15, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Who What Now posted:

What are some of the must haves for the PS4 right now? I got $60 in PS gift cards and don't know what to get. I already have RE7, FF XV, Uncharted 4, Last of Us, and Bloodborne. Is there anything else that are crazy amazing good or should I save my gift cards for stuff coming down the line?

Depends. Do you mean console only? I have heard hot stuff about Yakuza & Nioh.

Otherwise, I highly recommend the Witness, DOOM, titanfall 2, nuclear throne.

The Witness is something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Turtlicious posted:

I want more games like Tales of Berseria

I love the fighting system, I love the story, I love the item crafting / disenchanting, I love the whole thing, hell even the anime has grown on me.

The Tales series has been running for over 20 years now. Check out some of the other ones like Symphonia or Zestiria or Graces. I've personally played the 2D ones on PS1 and they were all excellent (Phantasia remake, Destiny, Eternia [US version was called "Destiny II" to prevent a lawsuit from He-Man]). If you have a PSP hanging around, I recommend the Star Ocean games (First Departure, Second Evolution) as they also have fun battle engines.

As an aside, I noticed the other day that a game in the Atelier series has just been released on Steam. I've only played the very first English release on PS2, but item crafting is that series thing, and I found it to be really enjoyable.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 15, 2017