Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Waiting is hard guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I got dragged into this by some friends and know literally nothing about the overarching mechanics of the game. Is there a detailed post anywhere about how the actual War is decided? I think someone mentioned previously that it was related to the amount of resources relative to the total number of players in a faction, so if lots of do nothing players join one side would that give an advantage to the other sides?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

With this post you have likely thought more about the system than Ubisoft did.

Nah it's adjusted based on player count for each faction and you cant just jump to the winning one because you don't get the reward or something

^^ don't worry too much about the intricacies of the faction war just focus on fighting good and think of it as a big game of risk

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I honestly don't care about the war thing either way but I also prefer mechanics to be transparent. I just like understanding how things work in games I play.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Garrand posted:

I honestly don't care about the war thing either way but I also prefer mechanics to be transparent. I just like understanding how things work in games I play.

I feel ya. They've said that it's weighted by population to some degree but there aren't any specifics so you're guess is as good as mine.

Basically it's a slot machine. Pull the lever -----> get a prize???

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I can't believe the entire betas passed and I've yet to see a looping gif of the tin can hump.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

What do you think the chances are of them having button mapping implemented for controllers on release? Actually what I'm tempted to do is break out my fight stick and try and map both the left and right stick to the same stick and use that. Would probably have to use joy2key or something to mimic inputs.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

My friends Shugoki and Valkyrie, what mysteries do you hold, why do I have to wait another day to find out :f5:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Garrand posted:

What do you think the chances are of them having button mapping implemented for controllers on release? Actually what I'm tempted to do is break out my fight stick and try and map both the left and right stick to the same stick and use that. Would probably have to use joy2key or something to mimic inputs.

At release? Essentially zero. It might be on the fast track for post-release additions but you should assume that nothing in the beta will be changed for release.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You might be able to run whatever controller you're using through x360ce and swap up the inputs there. I'm still using an old original xbox controller with the white and black buttons, so I can just remap poo poo through the XBCD driver.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
2017 and we still cant remap the Microsoft Controller in the Microsoft Operating System, or in 90% of the games that use it, without third party bullshit. what a world

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Gimbal lock posted:

I can't believe the entire betas passed and I've yet to see a looping gif of the tin can hump.

Me and a raider kept doing the humps at eachother and it was glorious. The last thing our enemies saw was a huge burly man in a skullmask and a woman clad in full tincan armor grinding crotches at eachother

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I'm currently using a PS3 controller with whatever driver thing I installed to get it to work when I got Dark Souls but I think I would prefer to have the targeting directionals (what the hell do I actually call that? The thing where you change sides to block/attack?) on the same stick as movement. I just don't like having it on the right stick because it kinda fucks with my ability to press buttons at the same time.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This is why you use KB+M you scrubs

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zzulu posted:

This is why you use KB+M you scrubs

I'm a lazy fat goon who likes to lean back in my chair while playing :colbert:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Captain Beans posted:

Speaking of the voices: Do knights speak in latin? Vikings speak russian?

I think it's old norse or Icelandic. They're hard to tell apart.

I'm Norwegian, and I recognize some words the viking mooks yell. I've no idea what the raider says on his unblockable.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Panzeh posted:

The game really needs to give you a better indication of when someone's coming up from behind to tackle or chop you because you have no way of looking around without losing your blocking. I can wreck people in 4v4 but when I have to deal with getting absolutely destroyed from behind because I have no blocking that way, i'm not really sure what to do about it. When you're actually in the thick of it with two people you can kinda work it and the game tries to give you a break with revenge mode(which should not be available in 2v2 or 1v1), still results in a lot of frustration.

It does do this, you can see massive red indicators from whichever direction the dude from behind/sides is going to attack you from. There's also a radar that shows any enemy in the vicinity

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Donnerberg posted:

I think it's old norse or Icelandic. They're hard to tell apart.

I'm Norwegian, and I recognize some words the mooks yell. I've no idea what the raider says on his unblockable.

Yeah, I'm Swedish and every now and then I hear a bastardized word I barely recognize. It's probably an attempt at old norse-ish sounding scandinavian language

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

1500 posted:

I don't know if this has been linked,

Defensive Play Beats Everything
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121546322

I know it's last page, but how come that dude never used the charge dash as a feint? I never played orochi, but i saw it in the tutorial video. Is it hard to do or like a bad stamina cost?

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Alkydere posted:

I Repped Vikings for ULTIMATE METAL, also the round, easy to make something pretty crest and all my friends did. But Warden was the class that was starting to click with me first. I loved playing Plate Armor Girl and breaking Weeb faces. Wish their lovely little katanas would break against my armor or broadsword though like the real things would.

I thought that was the coolest detail when I saw it. Dunno how historical it was, but it makes sense that if you're in combat, and wearing a mail gauntlet, you're just gonna carry the sucker by however's convenient and doesn't hurt your wrist instead of constantly re-sheathing the massive weapon. Also loved that at least in their executions Wardens used the pommel and crossguard of their sword. loving loved watching my Plate Chick rip some unlucky bastard's shoulder blade out with the crossguard of her weapon.

It's apparently pretty accurate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwuQPfvSSlo, and the main reason I stuck with plate armor girl as well at the expense for every other class. Her animations and stance are also really cool.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

I found a warden guide which also goes over some of the advanced fundamentals quite well. Really good for Warden play but there is something to learn there for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgbilcRtTGU

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Does anyone know what (if anything) carries over from the open beta?

Will we get to choose a different faction?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Kubrick posted:

Does anyone know what (if anything) carries over from the open beta?

Will we get to choose a different faction?

Nothing carries over, but you can pick a faction at any time anyway.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Garrand posted:

Nothing carries over, but you can pick a faction at any time anyway.

Not if you want the rewards from winning a round or whatever

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Hypha posted:

I found a warden guide which also goes over some of the advanced fundamentals quite well. Really good for Warden play but there is something to learn there for everyone.

This is a really good video. I learned a few things and I've already played the game for 30+ hours.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

polish sausage posted:

It's apparently pretty accurate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwuQPfvSSlo, and the main reason I stuck with plate armor girl as well at the expense for every other class. Her animations and stance are also really cool.

Yeah, I knew using the blade as a handle to beat the living daylights out of yoru heavily armored opponent was a real thing, which is why I adored Plate Girl as soon as I did my first execution with her. It was more the whole running around with carrying the big-rear end sword in the middle like that instead of sheathing it that surprised me was realistic. And makes so much sense.

Hypha posted:

Damnit, want to play this now. Didn't realize you could use your zone attack just in 1-on-1 fights to gently caress with people.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

panda clue posted:

This is a really good video. I learned a few things and I've already played the game for 30+ hours.

The thing that surprised me was that there are untechable throws based on certain scenarios. I especially didn't know that there was a penalty possible in missing a guardbreak, in that you no longer could break it if the enemy then successfully lands one on you.

I also presumed that all light attacks were pretty safe to play at neutral. To learn that my usual approaches could be punished was important news.

Hypha fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 13, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Alkydere posted:

Damnit, want to play this now. Didn't realize you could use your zone attack just in 1-on-1 fights to gently caress with people.

Zone attacks are really really good in duels as they usually got something going for it big time. Like for the Warden and the Warlord they are ultra fast effectively unseeable attacks. Raider has the famous unblockable, Kensei is a giant fuckoff armoured aoe move which is fantastic against the faster classes as they just have to hold still while its happening and so on.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I some times get finishing hits with conqs zone attack in 1v1s. People wait for the first swing to pass, then dive in and get hit by the second swing.

Better yet, the zone attack goes on forever when you have revenge meter. It's great for stalling a group. They can slip past it, but people tend to back off and wait.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Conqueror is so great for just stalling the poo poo out of a group ganging up on you. Full guard to build up revenge, revenge refills stamina so you can keep full guarding, throw in some zone attacks when possible. You just have to be vary of being guard broken.
This works even better if you have the trait that heals you whenever you block.

I've stalled entire (bad) teams for long enough to have my teammates who were killed in the engagement ress, run back and join back in.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Wait. The languages spoken are real and not pseudo ones?

Has anyone thought that A CAD controller emulating an analog stick + keyboard might be the best way to control the game on a PC? Haven't had experience with them but I assume they are self-centering so you don't accidentally keep blocking to one direction on an assassin. No idea how "twitch friendly" those things are though. Apart from prohibitively expensive.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dessel posted:

Wait. The languages spoken are real and not pseudo ones?

Has anyone thought that A CAD controller emulating an analog stick + keyboard might be the best way to control the game on a PC? Haven't had experience with them but I assume they are self-centering so you don't accidentally keep blocking to one direction on an assassin. No idea how "twitch friendly" those things are though. Apart from prohibitively expensive.

I'm fairly certain the samurai at least are speaking actual japanese or something reasonably close. So it wouldn't surprise me if the vikings got some older norse dialect and the knights spoke whatever latin/old french/old german.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This game needs hammers

there is an utterly disturbing lack of hammers and maces

Give me a dual wielding warhammer wielding crazyfuck

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Perestroika posted:

I'm fairly certain the samurai at least are speaking actual japanese or something reasonably close. So it wouldn't surprise me if the vikings got some older norse dialect and the knights spoke whatever latin/old french/old german.

Icelandic (closest living language to old norse) and Latin, near as i can tell

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
All this appreciation for femwardens reminds me: this game does female characters right. If you're typically annoyed by sexualized armor in video games, the female/male armors are pretty much the same, and you can swap your characters appearance between them whenever you feel like it.

Each faction does have one male only and one female only class though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This game got the bossest looking bitches I've seen in a game

From the Nobushi to the female warden, berserker and raider... They all look hard and like they can kick your rear end

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Will the Lawbringer have a female variant?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Zzulu posted:

Will the Lawbringer have a female variant?

No. All three of the already available knights had a female variant, which means Lawbringer has to be the male only class.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
The gender locked classes are:

M / F
Warlord / Valkyrie
Lawbringer / Peacekeeper
Shugoki / Nobushi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm still on the fence if I should buy this.
I played a good dozen hours over the weekend, and as I expected I feel i'm terrible at it (as I am with all twitchy games).

However when I hear around it sounds like most people feel just the same after only a few hours.

If I buy this I hope this has some really good matchmaker so I can have some good fights consistently, instead of boring stomps (one way or the other).

(In one of my first duels as a Kensei I got paired up against a Peacekeeper.... I didn't even scratch her once)