Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Star Citizen 5: 3.0 is complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen 6:The Stimpire Strikes Back/Revenge of the Parp

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
gently caress

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Star Citizen 2 Fur 2 Furriest

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Furscape

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Kosumo posted:

Yeah, I think that Citizen, Fuzzy Modem is having plenty of interesting and unique things happen these days. I'm sure he is rapped that 2.6.1 has been release and the toilet can now be accessed. Some of his new 'friends' might be helping him theory craft ship to ship docking.

"Rapped" is not how you spell that word.

Oh.

Okay, it's close enough.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

trucutru posted:

Chris Roberts said here is a sweet ambush point.

Have the AI bark the audio that Chris Roberts approved.

Chris Roberts thinks this is laid out to be a memorable encounter.

Over a decade ago I played FEAR and I had some memorable encounters. Like killing most of a group of soldiers, and listening to their leader telling the last man to go attack me. He responded with "gently caress you, Sir!" or something in that line. That was memorable.

Meanwhile, in Star Citizen, a commando clips through a floor and the game crashes. Memorable, but in another way.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Pfft, move aside goonie, let me show you how :smuggo: is done

:golfclap:
Well played, goon friend

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Henry Scorpio posted:

So.... Tiered state machines like so:

Explore universe [level 1]
Invade autism chariot [level 2]
Use toilet [level 3]

Options are to:

1) Locate and hire one person who worked on AI in GTA: Vice City or a more recent game, or

2) Create entirely new programming language

:confused:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Is it true they released a singing mushroom as a purchasable item, truth is so much stranger than fiction at this point

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Mods pls change my name to minus 5 IQ Derek, tia

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

The Road to CItizenCon
Think about it... it's beyond all question now that they knew at the time there was no way the "Squadron 42 demo" was days away from release. If they had anything that close to being ready they'd have put it out to quiet the whales and give them a much needed confidence boost. Which means that the whole Road to CitizenCon was a ~*metacon *~ itself. It was all staged! There were no last hour meetings deciding they couldn't make it, there was never a question of it being ready! They probably filmed it all in a day.

Maybe they filmed it after the fact? :ohdear:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Sorry people who gave us money, we're just a bit too busy to finish that game trailer we promised you like two months ago but hey at least you got that one hour documentary on how we failed to make it

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Sorry people who gave us money, we're just a bit too busy to finish that game trailer we promised you like two months ago but hey at least you got that one hour documentary on how we failed to make it

I like how it went from "essential piece of development and all assets go directly into the real game so no dev time wasted" to "It would be a waste taking us away from real development to finish it"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38948274

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac4LEopZXjQ

This is relevant for reasons.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I like how it went from "essential piece of development and all assets go directly into the real game so no dev time wasted" to "It would be a waste taking us away from real development to finish it"

Well the first claim was September Chris and the corrected one was December Chris. Clearly they're both correct in the context of their relative existence, but choosing to believe the latter is obviously more virtuous.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Blade Runner video game turns 20 this year:

If you've never played it, it's a point and click noir action adventure with a compelling and amazingly told story.

It's abandonware, and you can play it for free, I just set up a Win 98 virtual box for it, if you've never played it before, treat yourself.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JC_136/status/831116508931567616

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Megabound posted:

The Blade Runner video game turns 20 this year:

If you've never played it, it's a point and click noir action adventure with a compelling and amazingly told story.

It's abandonware, and you can play it for free, I just set up a Win 98 virtual box for it, if you've never played it before, treat yourself.

It's maybe the best detective game ever made. Leaps and bounds ahead of the overhyped LA Noire.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

croberts knew

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Nobody show Chris :silent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkEdyq3UE5M

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Henry Scorpio posted:

I worked on FEAR's AI more than a decade ago, and the buzzword there would have been STRIPS... but the AI framework was just a piece of the whole. The meat of the system was actually from the LDs placing smart nodes all over telling the AIs "here is a sweet ambush point", good audio and barks letting you know the AI was thinking, levels laid out for memorable encounters.

Thinking about the server compute resources to do this in an MMO ... it should be interesting to see what they try.

I think you did a good job. You weren't able to create fidelity but that's okay. FEAR was the first PC game I bought when I built my first PC and I recall one of the enemy troopers in the beginning kicking office furniture over to create cover and crawling behind it.

:downsbravo:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
FEAR loving ruled. The AI was the best, so thank you guy!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, it's still remains one of the best FPS I ever played. The guns were amazing too. Good job man!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Henry Scorpio posted:

I worked on FEAR's AI more than a decade ago, and the buzzword there would have been STRIPS... but the AI framework was just a piece of the whole. The meat of the system was actually from the LDs placing smart nodes all over telling the AIs "here is a sweet ambush point", good audio and barks letting you know the AI was thinking, levels laid out for memorable encounters.

Thinking about the server compute resources to do this in an MMO ... it should be interesting to see what they try.

Baby. Oh, Baby. Big fan of that work. That article on the FEAR AI really got me interested in game AI. I've not really made anything impressive, but hopefully I can juggle some time to dig deeper some day.

:swoon: :swoon:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

necroid posted:

[PENETRATING INTENSIFIES]

One of the all time great FPS guns

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Fellow commandos. Prepare yourselves for a hilarious announcement at the end of March /start of April. A Stimperial address is planned to explain where sq42 is , or indeed isnt. Its going to be even better than 'You've had it all along stop loving whining'

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

EightAce posted:

Fellow commandos. Prepare yourselves for a hilarious announcement at the end of March /start of April. A Stimperial address is planned to explain where sq42 is , or indeed isnt. Its going to be even better than 'You've had it all along stop loving whining'

Enlighten us.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Better you hear it from Lord Croberts

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Enlighten us.

“Out today, on Xbox One and PS4, also, it's an RTS in the vein of Brütal Legend.”

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

They couldn't make the mocaping work with lumberyard so they have cut SQ42.

Cate tax

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 13, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
"Lumberyard has obviously delayed things *hand wave* a little *hand wave* for Sq42, expect further updates in 2018. Let's move on to discuss this exciting new concept sale"

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Also total costs for for mocap is now over 80 million dollars.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I have a hard time believing they have anything planned six weeks in advance

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there a rumour about them selling a $3k ship this month?

Not a rumour I believed but they have to sell something new soon.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

I'm totally clueless when it comes to network poo poo, so I need this explained to me.

Is there any logic behind the way that sc's client downloader cripples your network, or is it plain lovely amateur stuff?

What does your heart tell you?

Torrents work on the basis of asking lots of endpoints for individual chunks of whatever you're after, and if there are a lot of clients, you usually want to throttle the number and frequency of streams, or they'll multiply to fill available bandwidth (and usually CPU/Southbridge). In the worst cases, it can flatten the TCP/IP stack by not being able to send out chunk acknowledgements.

In short, Torrents tend to saturate, but MOST people using them have figured to throttle down to a decent level that balances being able to use the machine and download whatever.

edit: And that it's still doing this poo poo after years really speaks to the quality of the software.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

Yeah, I think I already know where this is going #jjustagamemode

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sandweed posted:

They couldn't make the mocaping work with lumberyard so they have cut SQ42.

cutting sq42 would be their smartest move since they started selling ships jpegs for cash tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

"Ben ate the server mistaking it for a giant deep pan mega meaty dream pizza. We're currently awaiting it's re-emergence from his pipeline."