Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Five more dollars tacked onto The Hidden Cost of The Nintendo Switch. :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
hosed up if true

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Stanley Taylor i thought you were dead

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

Stanley Taylor i thought you were dead

Maybe they are OoOoOo :ghost:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Been playing a bunch of Zelda to tide me over until launch.

Finished Link Between Worlds on Hero difficulty. Probably one of the best games on the 3DS by far.

Currently playing Link's Awakening. Played it when I was 10 and I don't think I've played it since. Funny how I can remember some little secrets here and there. Really really enjoying my time with it again, as I'd forgotten how good it is.
It's still pretty difficult as well on the bosses.

Hopefully I'll finish up and get to have a crack as the Seasons games, which I've never played.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The oracle games are legit pretty great.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope there's a trading sequence in BotW :allears:

Nintendo Switch: Is it good? Don't ask me I'm just a kid

Spellman
May 31, 2011

You can tell a lot about a person by whether they liked Ages or Seasons more

I like Ages 😉

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm playing through Skyward Sword and just got to the second Fire/Din temple. I really don't know why the game is so divisive.

The only thing that has been obvectively bad so far is the constant desyncing when aiming, which is strange because swinging the sword works really well. Oh and the first desert temple which went on for much longer than it should've.

Is it because of the sky overworld? Because all Zelda worlds are pretty much empty with some 'hidden' stuff here and there.

Honestly, most complaints I've heard can be attributed to the other 3D Zelda games. Like the uninspired story, overbearing helper (Just ignore her when you don't have to answer. At least she's not that drat owl), and low enemy variety.

It's still fun with some neat uses of the Wii-mote and great bosses.

Oh, and it uses a cool time traveling gizmo for fights and puzzles long before Dishonored 2.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Skyward Sword has a very long tutorial period and wonky controls. It never worked well, and I was using the bundled golden Wiimote+.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh poo poo I'm at the Colour Dungeon! That wasn't in the original! Hell yeah new dungeon :slick:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i prpreordered this poo poo

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I hope this doesn't turn out like the $99 3DS where it's chronically out of stock except for scalpers on amazon

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

UK people - there's a good deal on SD cards on amazon :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Mi...2Bevo%2Bsd&th=1

and the evo+ (what I ordered)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/q3s/Sams...amsung+evo+plus

These two are probably the best bang for your buck - anything bigger or faster gets very expensive. 64gb should last a few years worth of digital games for most of us. By then it'll be much cheaper to get a 200gb+ card.

well why not fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 13, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The 128's only $40/£40 and the 256 is a Pro+ in Evo+'s clothing, making it merely commensurately expensive (well, it's still usuriously priced in the US).

And before you ask, Selects are Pluses in AmazonUS-exclusive trade dress.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Stan Taylor posted:

Five more dollars tacked onto The Hidden Cost of The Nintendo Switch. :bahgawd:

But now you can post about the Switch in style

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

The 128's only $40/£40 and the 256 is a Pro+ in Evo+'s clothing, making it merely commensurately expensive (well, it's still usuriously priced in the US).

And before you ask, Selects are Pluses in AmazonUS-exclusive trade dress.

aw dang. I'm assuming that games will be like 4-5gb on average so the 64 should handle everything I'm planning to get at least for a long time. I'm getting Zelda on cart as well, so that card should be ok.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am so happy to hear the poster report that Sonic Mania is good. I am very excited for it and the music released so far for it has been amazingly good!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

iajanus posted:

I may be so impatient waiting for my pre order to be available that at the markets today I bought a mega drive and a bunch of games

That should tide me over for a bit.
The Mega Drive version of Jurassic Park is absolutely dreadful from what I remember. It was a completely different game from the SNES one, which was supposedly a lot better.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What is Sonic Mania? Just a HD release of the 2D Sonic games with some extra levels?

It def looks good as hell tho.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

irlZaphod posted:

The Mega Drive version of Jurassic Park is absolutely dreadful from what I remember. It was a completely different game from the SNES one, which was supposedly a lot better.

I enjoyed the snes and gb versions of it as a kid and the guy at the market threw it in for free so idk hopefully it's fun in a car crash way

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Infinitum posted:

What is Sonic Mania? Just a HD release of the 2D Sonic games with some extra levels?

It def looks good as hell tho.

A brand new Sonic game in 2D. Like Megaman 9, made tons of year later but in the same style as the good sonic games :D

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

A brand new Sonic game in 2D. Like Megaman 9, made tons of year later but in the same style as the good sonic games :D

Oh sweet. Yeah alright, def interested in seeing more of that then.

If it gets good reviews and the Sega fanboys like it, sounds like a solid pickup.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How big are the switch game cards compared to the 3ds's?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Depends on the game. Should be in the same range as Wii U games, most being around 7 GB and "big" titles somewhere between 12-20 GB.

Edit: oh sorry, misunderstood.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

VideoGames posted:

Expanding on this slightly but it does have some remixed levels in it too, like Green Hill Zone is in the game but it has a entirely new part of the level added to it, was balanced for the spin dash, has a new boss and remixed tunes etc.

It also has entirely new stages. I highly suggest checking out videos on the two new ones (A eggman themed movie studio and a wild west saloon). Everyone that's played it says it's amazing so there's a lot of hope riding on it.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I don't know why after sonic the hedgehog 4 anyone cares about sonic the hedgehog retro-unreboots

or sonic at all for that matter, he's not very zoologically accurate

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Expanding on this slightly but it does have some remixed levels in it too, like Green Hill Zone is in the game but it has a entirely new part of the level added to it, was balanced for the spin dash, has a new boss and remixed tunes etc.

It also has entirely new stages. I highly suggest checking out videos on the two new ones (A eggman themed movie studio and a wild west saloon). Everyone that's played it says it's amazing so there's a lot of hope riding on it.

Link the vids?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Infinitum posted:

Link the vids?

Studiopolis

Mirage Saloon

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
This video explains the origins behind Sonic Mania and why people are optimistic for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omKGDC4JaMU

Basically, it's not being made by Sonic Team but instead some smaller developers who are long-time fans and who seem to understand the actual fun aspects of the original Sonic games. They've made some high quality Sonic fan-games before too so they have a good track record.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

I don't know why after sonic the hedgehog 4 anyone cares about sonic the hedgehog retro-unreboots

or sonic at all for that matter, he's not very zoologically accurate

You want scientifically accurate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvNEZ4WWQIk

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

So flipping excited for this game!!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Super Bomberman R opening cinematic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY8xfcN_cr4

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I am Day 1-ing this game.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Renoistic posted:

I'm playing through Skyward Sword and just got to the second Fire/Din temple. I really don't know why the game is so divisive.

The only thing that has been obvectively bad so far is the constant desyncing when aiming, which is strange because swinging the sword works really well. Oh and the first desert temple which went on for much longer than it should've.

Is it because of the sky overworld? Because all Zelda worlds are pretty much empty with some 'hidden' stuff here and there.

Honestly, most complaints I've heard can be attributed to the other 3D Zelda games. Like the uninspired story, overbearing helper (Just ignore her when you don't have to answer. At least she's not that drat owl), and low enemy variety.

It's still fun with some neat uses of the Wii-mote and great bosses.

Oh, and it uses a cool time traveling gizmo for fights and puzzles long before Dishonored 2.

I'm guessing it's all the stuff that's subjectively bad that makes people disagree about it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Takoluka posted:

Too bad it's not representative of the game itself at all.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

iajanus posted:

I enjoyed the snes and gb versions of it as a kid and the guy at the market threw it in for free so idk hopefully it's fun in a car crash way

Growing up, I had a SNES and my best friend had a Genesis. I definitely remember preferring his Jurassic Park to mine. Instead of a combination top-down and FPS, it was a more traditional side-scroller. But it had a mode where you could play as a raptor. And included the raft scene that was in the book but not the movie.

I could never really get into the SNES Jurassic Park for some reason, it always felt like one of those, "we have the license, we have to make SOMETHING" kind of games, and the Genesis one felt more like the weird but fun Super Star Wars games.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

anatomi posted:

Depends on the game. Should be in the same range as Wii U games, most being around 7 GB and "big" titles somewhere between 12-20 GB.

Edit: oh sorry, misunderstood.

Hopefully it can do better than 14 Mbit/sec.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't speak for the Genesis version, but I remember how frustrating it was to play the SNES version and I never ended up beating it. At the very least, it's got some great music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Takoluka posted:

Good, please do.

And Genesis Jurassic Park is a cool game, while the SNES one is a less cool game. Someone got their wires switched!

• Locked thread