Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah, and someone discovers it for the first time every few months.

Sometimes I check out the stellaris reddit and almost every couple pages has someone excitedly posting how they like totally found earth in their game but it's full of roaches, or primitive humans!
I'm not mad, I wish I could recapture that joy of discovering all the cool stuff for the first time again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nice! Just modifying human portraits alone is daunting stuff, working on a new alien species altogether must be draining as hell. That end product's worth it, though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

Nice! Just modifying human portraits alone is daunting stuff, working on a new alien species altogether must be draining as hell. That end product's worth it, though.

Most of the work was done by Mr. Unknown DeviantArt-artist, luckily. I just had to do the uncreative work of modifying the picture in paint.net until it didn't look like a painted cardboard shoved into Stellaris. :v:

That said, the original picture had tons of weird shadows and mist layered over it, which confused the hell of paint.net's selection tools. I had to manually move along the edges of all those feet/arms with a tiny eraser. Still not really difficult, you just need a calm hand and lots of time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Seriously that it some cool-rear end centipede xeno poo poo right there, I can't wait to get started purging them for being freaky!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Also I wish we could trade for consumer goods, or force other countries to give us consumer goods and set up actual economic imperialism where your people get high living standards off the backs of a galactic 3rd world.

Way too unrealistic

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The Paradox extra channel has an entire run (bit outdated) from the Devs as well as the new one by Wiz and the dreadlock dude.

Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadoxExtra/playlists

I guess that'll do, it's a little out of date, but oh well. For some reason when I was checking around all I could find were some plays in German for newer stuff.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Libluini posted:

:siren: Man-eating centipedes incoming :siren:

Centipedes done. But gently caress, making this work took so much time the spider-portrait has to wait until next weekend. :suicide:

And poo poo like this is why I'm glad we can get the Armageddon bombardment option.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/831077240184020992

Some indoctrination teasing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Now we just need to fill that empty 6th slot.

I'm thinking "game preserve" for the managed hunting of the natives and a minor food bonus. And perhaps the opposite effect of indoctrination wherein they start to vehemently hate the ideals of the demon monsters who would hunt and eat them.

Edit: Ohh, or even better, give more modern-era game preserves a chance to not only jump-start their interstellar development but let them start with some percentage of the offender's tech tree thanks to captured big game hunter gear.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 13, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm thinking "game preserve" for the managed hunting of the natives and a minor food bonus. And perhaps the opposite effect of indoctrination wherein they start to vehemently hate the ideals of the demon monsters who would hunt and eat them.

Edit: Ohh, or even better, give more modern-era game preserves a chance to not only jump-start their interstellar development but let them start with some percentage of the offender's tech tree thanks to captured big game hunter gear.

The icon could be this:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ad some event chains to this and it would be perfect. I know fuckall about modding but now i am tempted to try and learn ut just for this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PoptartsNinja posted:

Active Experimentation. Dump mutagens, plague bombs, and random technological artefacts from orbit, watch the results. Warning: May cause X-Men.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is it just me or do plantoid cities and ships actually fit nicely for space parrots?

(Using this mod to pretty them up and remove the fishbowl helmets)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

GotLag posted:

remove the fishbowl helmets

wtf

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Got to agree with this wtf here, fishbowl helmets on parrots is amazing.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

(Using this mod to pretty them up and remove the fishbowl helmets)

Get the gently caress out you monster.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Just reported that hosed up post to the mods. Wow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What the hell other kind of helmet is a parrot going to wear?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Indoctrination sounds great, especially as someone whose xenophile-empires are always getting burdened by the strangest weirdos. Gently leading rear end in a top hat aliens to the path of awesomeness sounds a lot better than dealing with unwanted Fanatic Shitheads.

In other news, my centipede-portrait is now used by 40+ people according to the Steam-Workshop. Nice!

I also had my first bug report: "It's not working for me." Great my friend, but uh could you tell me a little bit more details? :shepface:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the little helmets on the birds are extremely win and one of the only reasons they don't get purged from my pretty species collection

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Being pretty in space is the most important thing. Aside from giga cannons.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

What the hell other kind of helmet is a parrot going to wear?

Exactly, their beak would get in the way of anything else.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
To be honest, I wish all the other birds had helmets too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

remove the fishbowl helmets
Get purged

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't think you get a lot of food from big game hunting but you should definitely get to farm Influence by catching impressive trophies. Or give your leaders great hunt events like in CK2. You can kill natives with high tech weaponry (less risk, less influence) or low tech jungle poo poo (higher risk of failure or death, more influence gained).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hunting grounds would be so awesome. Well, except for the aliens you hunt, eat and mount on your wall to admire while smugly smoking a pipe.

canepazzo posted:

The icon could be this:

That's one ugly motherfucker. :v:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Expanding on your idea for collectivist, instead of eating them, for the duration of observation post is located on a planet, their species serves as alien pets. :v:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
That reminds me, I got alien pets on my homeworld? How does that work

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, really some "Preservation" option on observation posts where the primitives were prohibited from advancing technologically would be nice.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Darth Windu posted:

They arrived on Space Driftwood

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

6th option should be "create crop circles", because that's what aliens supposedly enjoy

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A question for modders: I have this weird issue where 2 guys out of 40+ can't see the portraits from my portrait-mod, any idea what could cause the portraits simply not to show up?

The guys in question already tried shutting down all other mods, even though a simple portrait+namelist mod shouldn't cause trouble. It still didn't work. Since I don't have this problem, it's kind of hard to find out what went wrong here. :confused:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Dwesa posted:

6th option should be "create crop circles", because that's what aliens supposedly enjoy

There really should be an option to just constantly prank primitive aliens outside of the pyramid event.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dwesa posted:

Don't you do this as part of an event in one of the other options?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Libluini posted:

I also had my first bug report: "It's not working for me." Great my friend, but uh could you tell me a little bit more details? :shepface:

Welcome to the world of software development.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Welcome to the world of software development.

The super-confusing thing is, they can see my namelist just fine, just my portraits won't show up for them. There isn't even a conflict with other mods, since they tried it with every other mod off and still can't see them. At this point my knowledge pool is basically depleted and I have no idea how to solve this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

GlyphGryph posted:

Don't you do this as part of an event in one of the other options?

Yep, some of your guys are doing it for shits and giggles.

Darth Windu posted:

Your people looked at a cat and said "Boy that thing's too cute and sociopathic to be ours, must be an alien!"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

Your people looked at a cat and said "Boy that thing's too cute and sociopathic to be ours, must be an alien!"

I'm always imagining aliens visiting your homeworld and accidentally leaving their pets. Cue your scientists going "Huh. That's weird, this five-armed starfish with ten eyes doesn't even have DNA. It's totally alien. How did it get here?!" :v:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Can someone give me the n00b breakdown on Diplomacy? I'm not sure I get it. Or maybe I do and it's just not what I expected. Does it basically just come down to identifying contenders for future alliances and starting with promising to defend them? I feel in many situations that I would not be able to fulfill such a promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Can someone give me the n00b breakdown on Diplomacy? I'm not sure I get it. Or maybe I do and it's just not what I expected. Does it basically just come down to identifying contenders for future alliances and starting with promising to defend them? I feel in many situations that I would not be able to fulfill such a promise.

Yeah. You might as well just tell everyone to go gently caress themselves and wipe them all out.

• Locked thread