Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
this is the most exciting thing to happen to sacramento since kanye melted down on-stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I bet you could find a tweet by someone saying they heard someone shouting in Arabic right before the hole appeared.

E. I suppose it's more likely some kind of false flag meant to trick Americans into thinking we need to replace our crumbling infrastructure before we need a border wall. Soros paid the spillway to crumble

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 13, 2017

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

SeXReX posted:

I bet you could find a tweet by someone saying they heard someone shouting in Arabic right before the hole appeared.

E. I suppose it's more likely some kind of false flag meant to trick Americans into thinking we need to replace our crumbling infrastructure before we need a border wall. Soros paid the spillway to crumble

false flag potholes in 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SeXReX posted:

https://twitter.com/Alex_Panetta/status/830766724177940480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
The rising sea levels are coming from inside the state!! :spooky:

I hope no one is hurt but i would like to see properties swept away instantaneously by mother nature.

Sorry.

I also hope trump tweets about this and it bites him in the rear end

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Naw if anything it'll help that "rebuild the nation" thing he was promising

Privatizing our nation's crumbling infrastructure will be seen as the alternative to massive tax hikes.

Can't wait to pay bridge tolls

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Trump farted and the dam broke. #TootSwish.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
this is fake news. Americas infrastructure is A#1 best.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Jose posted:

Infrastructure spending

It's things like this that remind me we spent $1.7 trillion in Iraq, plus ongoing veteran benefits, with nothing to show for it. Maybe history will eventually regard that conflict on the same level as the Pyrrhic War or the Battle of Bouvines, but for now it seems to have gone down the same memory hole as the rest of the Bush years.

Growing up in the Central Valley, you learn how much of California is based on massive environmental engineering projects, and how much the rest of the country depends on it. I'm happy I don't have to live there anymore, but good luck to anybody who still does.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Totally real.

Trump farted. Dams died.

#TrumpsFlatulenceLeveledTheLevee

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The water is going down the spillway at freefall speed

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
Commiefornia sucks anyways. Destroy Communism. Can't wait for the to secede and then for us to stop selling them all their water. Then they die.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

Commiefornia sucks anyways. Destroy Communism. Can't wait for the to secede and then for us to stop selling them all their water. Then they die.
You need a rowdy dog avatar to go with that rowdy post Kleen_TheRowdyDog!!!

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

also all the red state ppl chortling about the libtards and the anarchists getting washed way, that's all trump country the dam'll flood lmao

like clockwork

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
thats such a broad post someone else must be using his account now. he didnt even say anything about black people

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Trump's in so much deep poo poo already that even if he was like "deserve it for the state not voting for me" it'd probably barely break into the top 5 scandals going on atm

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheSpamalope posted:

Somewhere an unknown surfer is about to become a legend.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so did it break and flood the city or what is the latest

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

It's things like this that remind me we spent $1.7 trillion in Iraq, plus ongoing veteran benefits, with nothing to show for it.

Are you saying we should have taken the oil?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

paul_soccer10 posted:

so did it break and flood the city or what is the latest

Npr says it's ok now

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
There's a gas station on 99 by 2nd street that sells real good fried chicken and I'm glad they can continue to do so

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Did they reopen the Long John Silvers

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

Npr says it's ok now

aw, nuts

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
this is why I never listen to emergency alerts or safety advice

the media blows everything out of proportion

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Imagine your bowels after getting lysteria from a reheated fish taco at long john silver's, that's how evacuated that town is right now

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

this is why I never listen to emergency alerts or safety advice

the media blows everything out of proportion

Tbf it looked pretty bad when they were showing what was happening

Until I saw that it was just going back into another river or w/e

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
imo the best plan right now is to fix the main spillway while water ingress is low with an rear end-ton of concrete. Turn that poo poo up to 11 to protect the top 30 feet of the emergency letoff from crumbling and smashing the town.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're letting out a whole bunch of water into the Feather River, right? Like, way more than usual. And it's going to rain a lot later this week. With the river already significantly higher than normal, would the rain by itself be enough to cause flooding along the river?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Mozi posted:

aw, nuts

Seriously. 2017 sucks so far I'm tired of Trump carrying all the catastrophe.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're letting out a whole bunch of water into the Feather River, right? Like, way more than usual. And it's going to rain a lot later this week. With the river already significantly higher than normal, would the rain by itself be enough to cause flooding along the river?

nah, one of the purposes of the dam is flood control which means letting out a measured amount of water so the river doesn't flow out of its channel. even when busted the dam can still do this

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I broke the dam

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yes, hence the evacuations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

boner confessor posted:

nah, one of the purposes of the dam is flood control which means letting out a measured amount of water so the river doesn't flow out of its channel. even when busted the dam can still do this

withak posted:

Yes, hence the evacuations.

One of you is lying to me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
^^^ I literally design dams for my job.

boner confessor posted:

Once the reservoir is full and the emergency spillway is running then the dam has is zero flood control capability because water will flow out as fast as it is flowing in.

They are actually releasing a lot faster than water is flowing in right now, intentionally flooding to free up more space in the reservoir for when it rains again later this week.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated. Does this mean that over a hundred thousand people would have died if they didn't evacuate and the dam broke? Seems like dams would be an ideal target for a terrorist attack if that were the case.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

exploded mummy posted:

Did they reopen the Long John Silvers

This is an important question

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

qkkl posted:

So hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated. Does this mean that over a hundred thousand people would have died if they didn't evacuate and the dam broke? Seems like dams would be an ideal target for a terrorist attack if that were the case.

It's way harder to blow up a dam so that it fails catastrophically than it is to just spray bullets into a nightclub or set off a car bomb.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

qkkl posted:

dams built upstream from heavily populated areas can kill a poo poo ton of people if they fail. a dam in China blew out when a hurricane sat on top of it for three days and killed 175,000 people

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

qkkl posted:

Whoa quit trying to give terrorists ideas there buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fullhouse posted:

dams built upstream from heavily populated areas can kill a poo poo ton of people if they fail. a dam in China blew out when a hurricane sat on top of it for three days and killed 175,000 people

half a million or something are predicted to die if the dam near dallas bursts and its not that unlikely

• Locked thread