Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

what faction are goons going to pick? this is important because the great faction war of 2017 is soon upon us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
My lukewarm take: Managed to solve my NAT strict woes by throwing out my router so I got to play it a little bit more. There is no other game that scratches this itch so i'll probably pick it up. Only played berserker throughout the beta so I got alot of content left to try out

e: ^^^ In the beta I picked knights because it defaulted on that choice but I cant see myself going anything other than vikings at release

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Whats with the NAT thing anyway? I have never encountered a online game that even mentioned it, was it a beta thing only or?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
NAT is a router based firewall or something along those lines.

I'm no expert, but I don't think you run into trouble before two people with strict NAT settings meet. Modern games might have solved that problem too. I can't remember seeing NAT called out in a game since Test Drive Unlimited 2, and that's like 6 years old.

super macho dude posted:

what faction are goons going to pick? this is important because the great faction war of 2017 is soon upon us

Knights. Viking banners look better, but the faction rewards will be stuff like ornaments, and I want that on knights.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 13, 2017

Gunder
May 22, 2003

People with anything other than Open NATs might have trouble connecting to people.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

super macho dude posted:

I don't really care about the faction war. I'm just picking samurai because my favorite character is a samurai.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zzulu posted:

This game needs hammers

there is an utterly disturbing lack of hammers and maces

Give me a dual wielding warhammer wielding crazyfuck

Don't worry. The Slammurai will be out soon.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Samurai are pretty smart warriors.

They hold their weapons by the hilt.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Chomp8645 posted:

Samurai are pretty smart warriors.

They hold their weapons by the hilt.

Shame their weapons are dogshit that can't penetrate armor. Literally the only one on their team who knows his poo poo is the fatass with the club.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Haroshia posted:

Shame their weapons are dogshit that can't penetrate armor.

*In a very Legolas voice*

"Their armor is weak by the neck... and under the arms."

Strike true, Samurai!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Death by blunt force trauma is among the most honorable types of death inflicted upon your enemy.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Heartcatch posted:

Death by blunt force trauma is among the most honorable types of death inflicted upon your enemy.

Such an honorabu death

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Haroshia posted:

Shame their weapons are dogshit that can't penetrate armor. Literally the only one on their team who knows his poo poo is the fatass with the club.

Hey now, the honorable naginata is perfectly capable of hurting people in armour. :colbert:

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed both the open and closed betas so will be playing this game. Really was wary because of the P2P thing, but my fears were clearly unfounded and the game runs fantastically - I have a good quality connection but regularly enjoy 200ms pings to EU servers from my location, and I did not once notice lag or my ping leaving me at a disadvantage, there's some sort of black magic at work. I'm not all the knowledgeable about netcode and MP design, but I think that P2P was a conscious performance choice by Ubisoft rather than a "we are cheap and evil corporate overlords" choice.

Uplay is still garbage, but workable, and they really need to make a couple of modes for odd-number groups.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Haroshia posted:

actiualllllly there are vids of katanas penetrating plate :smug:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

This is awesome.

I did notice he has 4 executions. I only knew about two (X and Y). Do the others have special "Finish Him" move combinations?

PS : are you completely invulnerable during an execution animation? I believe so but have not seen that mentioned yet.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Evernoob posted:

This is awesome.

I did notice he has 4 executions. I only knew about two (X and Y). Do the others have special "Finish Him" move combinations?

PS : are you completely invulnerable during an execution animation? I believe so but have not seen that mentioned yet.

no, you have to buy the other ones and set them to either x or y (you could buy a third execution for everyone in the beta this way too but not their fourth)

also no, people can interrupt you executing their friend and doing so lets you still be able to res them (until they hit the frame where they get their health back from killing you, that is, you may have noticed the health restore when an axe lops someone's head off etc)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zzulu posted:

actiualllllly there are vids of katanas penetrating plate :smug:

Seems unlikely

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

holy poo poo I can't wait to sit on people to death

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Haroshia posted:

It should be noted that the Katana is a work of art. Not because it's a good sword, but because it takes that much work and skill to make a workable sword out of the poo poo-tastic iron in Japan. Iron is crazy rare in Japan and expensive enough that even nobles would very rarely have enough to armor themselves with more than a helmet made out of it. Katanas are brittle as gently caress in real life and will snap like a twig if handled wrong.

Of course its even sillier considering this game's Glorious Nippon is right next door to KnightLand where there's enough iron for everyone and their dog to have full plate armor. You'd think after a while they'd have started to melt down Knights for more iron.

Perestroika posted:

Hey now, the honorable naginata is perfectly capable of hurting people in armour. :colbert:

That's because the vast majority of the weapon is made of entirely reasonable and workable wood. :v:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Alkydere posted:

That's because the vast majority of the weapon is made of entirely reasonable and workable wood. :v:

As were the primary weapons of the samurai most of the time because, as intelligent people, they realized that the absolute best way to fight is to be on a horse with a bow

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Dosvidanya posted:

also no, people can interrupt you executing their friend and doing so lets you still be able to res them (until they hit the frame where they get their health back from killing you, that is, you may have noticed the health restore when an axe lops someone's head off etc)

This is something I was curious about. Are all execution animations the same length? If not you'd obviously want to use whatever is fastest because preventing someone from reviving can make or break a match.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
is the game out yet

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
is the game out yet

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

UberJew posted:

As were the primary weapons of the samurai most of the time because, as intelligent people, they realized that the absolute best way to fight is to be on a horse with a bow

Well, dunno how intelligent Samurai were. They're basically feudal lords and goodness knows those had a good tendency to end up as a bunch of entitled fuckwits anywhere else, I don't see why Japan would be an exception to the rule.

And yes, Japan has a huge romanticism about archery. And when it comes down to it, it really is a lot cheaper and safer to put a wooden arrow through someone's throat at 50 paces then it is to come within katana/yari/naginata range and risk your hide and valuable cast-iron sword.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Alkydere posted:

Well, dunno how intelligent Samurai were. They're basically feudal lords and goodness knows those had a good tendency to end up as a bunch of entitled fuckwits anywhere else, I don't see why Japan would be an exception to the rule.

And yes, Japan has a huge romanticism about archery. And when it comes down to it, it really is a lot cheaper and safer to put a wooden arrow through someone's throat at 50 paces then it is to come within katana/yari/naginata range and risk your hide and valuable cast-iron sword.

i mean, intelligent enough to realize that its much better to shoot people with arrows while staying away from them on horseback

not all feudal lords reached that low bar

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

UberJew posted:

Samurai trained with the horse and bow long before they even picked up a sword, is my understanding. They also appreciated that the most effective means for samurai to fight was to get the peasants to fight for them. This would be why most period artwork of samurai in battlefield conditions I've seen consist of them either aiming a bow or pointing at the enemy and yelling.

Really, swords in general as an actual battlefield weapon were virtually unseen outside of the nobility in many cultures, simply because only they had the time and money to train with them to a practical level. It didn't make sense to base an army around a weapon that took years of intensive training to master, when any dipshit conscript could pick up a mace and flatten someone's skull in.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 13, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

UberJew posted:

i mean, intelligent enough to realize that its much better to shoot people with arrows while staying away from them on horseback

not all feudal lords reached that low bar

Not all, but there's a reason a map of the HRE at it's height would look like this:

You'll notice a lot of white areas near the center-bottom? As far as I can tell that's shorthand for "This poo poo is too goddamned splintered to even show on the map." There were exceptions, there were many of them, but you'd probably make a lot more money betting on any individual fuedal lord being a fuckwit than him not being one. I refuse to believe Samurai were that much better and I'm sure someone who's actually studied the region/subject could bring up a few wonderful examples.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alkydere posted:

It should be noted that the Katana is a work of art. Not because it's a good sword, but because it takes that much work and skill to make a workable sword out of the poo poo-tastic iron in Japan. Iron is crazy rare in Japan and expensive enough that even nobles would very rarely have enough to armor themselves with more than a helmet made out of it. Katanas are brittle as gently caress in real life and will snap like a twig if handled wrong.

That's... something of an overstatement. Japanese iron in itself is not exceedingly better or worse than anywhere else's. The main difference is that it primarily occurs in the form of ironsand, whereas in Europe and other part you could more easily find it as bog iron. The main drawback of ironsand is that it has a high content of silicates, which take a lot of reheating and pounding to get out. But after you do that, the remaining silicate impurities are generally small enough to not make a huge difference. By comparison, the main impurities in other forms of iron ore are oxides, which can be filtered out relatively easily by way of roasting them in a carbon-rich environment.

Now, the main thing that added extra work was the fact that for smelting, the japanese continually used fairly large bloomeries instead of the blast furnaces that became commonplace in Europe. This meant that resulting bloom of iron and steel had significantly varying levels of carbon content. This in turn meant that to make a sword, the smith had to select just the right pieces of it, and then weld and fold them together over and over until the carbon content was evened out throughout the whole thing. That took a bitchload of labour, but once that was over and done with you ended up with perfectly serviceable steel.

Now, for armour this was less of a problem. For a weapon you needed steel with just the right carbon content to get it hard enough to hold a good edge but flexible enough to withstand repeated stresses. For armour, that was less of a concern, particularly since the japanese usually preferred maille and lamellar armour where damaged sections could be fairly easily repaired. So for that, they often used just regular iron that was left from the blooms. It may not have been as resilient as proper steel, but still usually plenty enough to stop a blade or an arrow and affordable enough to equip even their non-samurai foot soldiers with.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Played the open beta, liked it, bought the game, will play on release.

Conqueror or bust. I will take my flail and shield bro over the hordes of hanzo steel wielding weeaboos any day of the week.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Alkydere posted:

Not all, but there's a reason a map of the HRE at it's height would look like this:

You'll notice a lot of white areas near the center-bottom? As far as I can tell that's shorthand for "This poo poo is too goddamned splintered to even show on the map." There were exceptions, there were many of them, but you'd probably make a lot more money betting on any individual fuedal lord being a fuckwit than him not being one. I refuse to believe Samurai were that much better and I'm sure someone who's actually studied the region/subject could bring up a few wonderful examples.

tbf the HRE makes a very strong case for being the absolute nadir of fuckwittery on the european continent at the time, but yes i doubt the samurai were much better except in their grasp of how to die less often by means of being on horses with bows

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo&t=378s

:colbert:

The katana arguably did better against the plate :smug:

But tbh both swords sucked against it

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 13, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Perestroika posted:

That's... something of an overstatement. Japanese iron in itself is not exceedingly better or worse than anywhere else's. The main difference is that it primarily occurs in the form of ironsand, whereas in Europe and other part you could more easily find it as bog iron. The main drawback of ironsand is that it has a high content of silicates, which take a lot of reheating and pounding to get out. But after you do that, the remaining silicate impurities are generally small enough to not make a huge difference. By comparison, the main impurities in other forms of iron ore are oxides, which can be filtered out relatively easily by way of roasting them in a carbon-rich environment.

Now, the main thing that added extra work was the fact that for smelting, the japanese continually used fairly large bloomeries instead of the blast furnaces that became commonplace in Europe. This meant that resulting bloom of iron and steel had significantly varying levels of carbon content. This in turn meant that to make a sword, the smith had to select just the right pieces of it, and then weld and fold them together over and over until the carbon content was evened out throughout the whole thing. That took a bitchload of labour, but once that was over and done with you ended up with perfectly serviceable steel.

Now, for armour this was less of a problem. For a weapon you needed steel with just the right carbon content to get it hard enough to hold a good edge but flexible enough to withstand repeated stresses. For armour, that was less of a concern, particularly since the japanese usually preferred maille and lamellar armour where damaged sections could be fairly easily repaired. So for that, they often used just regular iron that was left from the blooms. It may not have been as resilient as proper steel, but still usually plenty enough to stop a blade or an arrow and affordable enough to equip even their non-samurai foot soldiers with.

Just wanna say that megaposts about historical poo poo like this make any more awesome.

Still doesn't help the fact that the Japanese Islands were very iron poor. The South American tribes had the same issue really, which is why for "swords" they would often use what was called a Quecha (I probably spelled that wrong). Basically a paddle with obsidian shards on the edges for cutting edges. Works really damned well...until the Spanish come rolling along armored in iron hats and curaisses, and armed with steel swords and smallpox. Volcanic areas just aren't great for iron.

Zzulu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo&t=378s

:colbert:

The katana arguably did better against the plate :smug:

But tbh both swords sucked against it

That's because plate armor such as that was designed to defend against swords in general. It's why you'd have peasants using hammers and maces. Also why as discussed last night you'd have Knights grabbing the blade of their swords in their gauntletted hands to bludgeon each other with the weighted pommels and crossguards of their swords (like with the Warden's executions) as make-shift hammers.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://gfycat.com/BronzeAgreeableGnatcatcher

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Alkydere posted:

Also mounted archery was not limited to Eurasian Steppe people or East Asian countries. German and Scandinavian armies during the early medevil age made extensive use of mounted crossbowmen. Additionally foot archery such as English / Walsh Longbow was used up until the 15th century or so. It just due to many different factors, mostly due to the terrain and other factors as such larger shields, heavier armor and the main forces being shock troops or untrained militia.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://gfycat.com/GloomyGreatFritillarybutterfly

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
bad wire-fu:
https://giant.gfycat.com/NeatWaryAuk.webm

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Didn't play beta because siege is a shiny thing that distracted me, but what kind of shape were berserkers in with this last beta? I loved them during the technical test (or at least the idea of them).

Also, should I be using a controller for this? even on PC? Does it just work better?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This owns.

My favorite thing I did this weekend was time a charging shield bash so perfectly I launched someone off the side of the bridge level. In fact, most of my favorite moments had to do with the charging shield bash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
http://store.ubi.com/uk/for-honor/5...reorder_ID32998

Midnight EU release boys :dance: