Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
are the android versions of the dragon quest games any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Bicyclops posted:

Do they? When I did the basic "Can you play with people one PC if you have PS4, it was a bunch of dads saying "Can I play with my son this way?" and getting a "No" answer, so I assumed that didn't exist.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic, or about that anyway. It would be neat but at least in my experience, people oddly rage more in casual play in OW than in comp.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I've been playing Witcher 3 for the first time recently and it's kind of unbelievable how good this game is. How the hell did this polish company go from an interesting but janky as gently caress first entry to this masterpiece with only one release inbetween? If you told me CDP sold their souls to satan to make their dream game I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm just hoping like hell it wasn't a total one off miracle and that Cyberpunk turns out as great as my rose tinted glasses tell me genesis Shadowrun was

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If Cyberpunk ends up sucking, you can always go play Dragonfall or Hong Kong which are good. Or maybe play SNES Shadowrun which has aged ok.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

But Shadowrun does not have (Witcher 3 spoilers) a cameo by dimension-hopping Ciri

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

babypolis posted:

I've been playing Witcher 3 for the first time recently and it's kind of unbelievable how good this game is. How the hell did this polish company go from an interesting but janky as gently caress first entry to this masterpiece with only one release inbetween? If you told me CDP sold their souls to satan to make their dream game I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest
The big leap was 1 to 2, and they did it with a combination of revenue from console versions and revenue from owning GOG.com

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

The big leap was 1 to 2, and they did it with a combination of revenue from console versions and revenue from owning GOG.com

yeah, the key thing to remember here is that this isn't a no-name company who just happened to do something amazing. They have a significant budget. Witcher 3's development team is larger than the team that worked on Skyrim.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sup people

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kidney stones again, which means I am trapped in bed, but also means I can shirk off my college homework to finish Nioh :confuoot:

I like the game a lot more than I did when I posted about it a while back, it's grown on me significantly, but boy are the repetitive enemies starting to wear out their welcome as I near in on the end. Definitely enjoyed it though. What's new with you?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ImpAtom posted:

yeah, the key thing to remember here is that this isn't a no-name company who just happened to do something amazing. They have a significant budget. Witcher 3's development team is larger than the team that worked on Skyrim.
On one hand I agree but on the other money+people isn't enough of an explaination for making better games when you look at the industry as a whole. CDPR's improvements in release quality shows they had some insanely talented people willing to learn from the start and some very good management with a vision.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Kidney stones again, which means I am trapped in bed, but also means I can shirk off my college homework to finish Nioh :confuoot:

I like the game a lot more than I did when I posted about it a while back, it's grown on me significantly, but boy are the repetitive enemies starting to wear out their welcome as I near in on the end. Definitely enjoyed it though. What's new with you?

RIP your kidneys

I'm not doing much of anything. Looking up costuming poo poo, might play a game, idk. Just bored. I wanted to stream earlier but nobody was around for it so meh, so I just sat back doing nothing lol

Sometimes I think about asking if anybody in here wants to be in for a stream but I feel like that'd be kinda tacky and tasteless and I don't want people thinking I'm trying to shill or whatever

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Palpek posted:

On one hand I agree but on the other money+people isn't enough of an explaination for making better games when you look at the industry as a whole. CDPR's improvements in release quality shows they had some insanely talented people willing to learn from the start and some very good management with a vision.

from what I've gathered from forum posts and interviews that i've briefly seen, it seems to be a similar thing to how the Deadpool movie was so good despite being on such a small budget. They made an actual big plan and worked on the game after a majority of ideas and writing was more settled than most game devs(or blockbuster films). So they worked more cohesively and efficiently instead of remaking things as new concepts float in. To use everyone's favourite comparison, Bethesda is very clearly compartmentalized and the weirdness and terrible/inconsistent writing and gameplay comes from them shoving everything together after they're produced.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

Sometimes I think about asking if anybody in here wants to be in for a stream but I feel like that'd be kinda tacky and tasteless and I don't want people thinking I'm trying to shill or whatever

Just be like your pal cjacobs and don't give a drat if people think you're shilling. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been craving a little stress in my games so I turned Cook Serve Delicious back on and finally finished getting the best restaurant and acing the Hungry Festivities.

The problem with this game is that it keeps showing me delicious food, so I'm gonna have to break out the rice cooker tomorrow and make something fancy for myself.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/Ryuugoku/status/830630143013986306

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qG4AlK1qk

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Can't believe he's just going to spoil the ending of super mario odyssey like that

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

My landlady returned from the hospital with her newborn baby yesterday and I got about four or five hours of sleep last night between all the crying, so I think I might have to move.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Red Bones posted:

My landlady returned from the hospital with her newborn baby yesterday and I got about four or five hours of sleep last night between all the crying, so I think I might have to move.

Does she have the baby on a PA system or something?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Dungeons of Dredmor is a good roguelike and especially forgiving if youre new to the genre. I had a lot of fun with it as someone who's bad at these games. Relatedly, I found a spare key laying around. Use it for yourself or give it to a buddy!

H48RL-TJQ3K-8EIK8

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lizard Wizard posted:

Does she have the baby on a PA system or something?

She's my landlady in the sense that I'm renting a room in her apartment, and the two bedrooms are next to each other so I can hear the baby through the wall. The kid's cute, but she's got a real set of lungs.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Earplugs and time. On average it should be sleeping through the night in 4 to 6 months.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Have some music that I like, games chat thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAyNuQDNSAU

Red Bones posted:

I'm sorry to hear that :( I'm sure things will quiet down sooner than later though, so try to stick through it (unless you're really jonesing to move and this is the specific push needed to get you out of there).

CJacobs posted:

Just be like your pal cjacobs and don't give a drat if people think you're shilling. :v:

I care too much about how others see me because I don't want to hurt other people or be a burden to them and my streams are usually just an excuse for me to talk to people while I play lovely games (or good games, but mostly lovely) and I don't really expect anyone to pay attention to the games I play. I just like the company, as pathetic as that sounds.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been craving a little stress in my games so I turned Cook Serve Delicious back on and finally finished getting the best restaurant and acing the Hungry Festivities.

The problem with this game is that it keeps showing me delicious food, so I'm gonna have to break out the rice cooker tomorrow and make something fancy for myself.

CSD is really good and has good food in it. What do you think you will make with your rice cooker? Maybe I should make some rice tomorrow too, rice and steamed...something, I'm sure I have something in the fridge that'll taste good steamed. Salmon maybe.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Problem Sleuth posted:

are the android versions of the dragon quest games any good?

I've only played VIII, it had quite the gee-wiz factor when it came out a couple years ago due to being a full blown PS2 port running on a phone but it's locked in portrait mode which makes it kind of a hassle to navigate around town if you've got a less than stellar sense of direction.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

I care too much about how others see me because I don't want to hurt other people or be a burden to them and my streams are usually just an excuse for me to talk to people while I play lovely games (or good games, but mostly lovely) and I don't really expect anyone to pay attention to the games I play. I just like the company, as pathetic as that sounds.

That's also why I stream and most of the reason I make let's plays so don't worry about it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Depending on if there's any chicken left over by the time I get up, I'm thinking rice + veggies + chicken in the cooker - so technically not fancy, but it'll be a change of pace from the burritos I've been having. :D

Also, I beat the main game mode in CSD and good lord the game does not screw around in extreme mode. The customers have no patience, you have to play nearly perfectly just to keep things from timing out, and hoo boy. I want those achievements, but may not be capable of 'em!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

That's also why I stream and most of the reason I make let's plays so don't worry about it.

You should be in a stream with me some time while I read bad visual novels or play bad rpgmaker games or play flawed but enjoyable games :D

StrixNebulosa posted:

Depending on if there's any chicken left over by the time I get up, I'm thinking rice + veggies + chicken in the cooker - so technically not fancy, but it'll be a change of pace from the burritos I've been having. :D

Also, I beat the main game mode in CSD and good lord the game does not screw around in extreme mode. The customers have no patience, you have to play nearly perfectly just to keep things from timing out, and hoo boy. I want those achievements, but may not be capable of 'em!

Man I could go for a good burrito right now. Maybe I'll see if I can get the materials for them tomorrow or something, idk.

I didn't play much of CSD but I watched KCB play a ton of it and beat it and tbh, it seemed like the biggest issue was the cell phone dating stuff because the texting task would take soooooo long. I heard they patched that to be shorter though so it's more reasonable to do in-between handling janitorial duties and making food and handling crime sketches.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Man I could go for a good burrito right now. Maybe I'll see if I can get the materials for them tomorrow or something, idk.

I didn't play much of CSD but I watched KCB play a ton of it and beat it and tbh, it seemed like the biggest issue was the cell phone dating stuff because the texting task would take soooooo long. I heard they patched that to be shorter though so it's more reasonable to do in-between handling janitorial duties and making food and handling crime sketches.

A good cheesy burrito with some hot sauce mixed in is just to die for, and if you're willing to splurge, a steak cut up and mixed in as well is just, mmm. (I can talk about food right now without running off to the kitchen as I had some french toast earlier. :v: )

I had a few problems with the dating texts, but, well, as long as I wasn't going for a perfect day and tried to angle them so I wouldn't have any other foods time out on me while they happened, they weren't too bad! I mostly had trouble with the crime sketches and certain foods - I am never adding shish kabobs to my menu again, I just can't do that kind of puzzle-solving while moving at high-speed and whipping out burgers. So glad the game doesn't make you use 'em unless it's in a challenge or something.

On a more broad food-in-games subject, I've been watching an LP of Lone Survivor and really enjoying how food is handled in that game - it's the classic survival horror scrounge up food mechanic, but it actually lets you develop some...self-care with it? You can go from eating chips off the floor to carefully cooking a ham and combining it with fruit and savoring the feast - not that the food banishes the monsters or whatever, but it's just...part of this whole concept of taking care of yourself, regardless of your circumstances, so you can better face them, and I like that. I kind of wish more games went into that beyond basic "press A to eat this apple and regain 5 health" stuff.

Another game that handled food well is Lonely Star - you could plant seeds of corn in the desert and pick 'em when they grew - but there were several things you could do with the corn, like using it for magic, or drop it to attract animals (I think, it's been a while since I played it) - but I distinctly remember that you could eat the corn and there was the chance you'd lose a tooth to it, which just made me smile. Fit the tone of the game, didn't affect you, just...flavor. Cook your food before you have it, basically!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Vanillaware is a developer that really loves two things: food and women, in that order.

What are some other devs who love food and shove food stuff into their games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let It Die has the most deliciously rendered mushroom stew I've ever seen. :downs:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The people who made FF15

VanillaWare actually loves three things: food, women and insanely ripped dwarves.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The people who made FF15

VanillaWare actually loves three things: food, women and insanely ripped dwarves.

I thought the dwarves were just a side effect of their love for insanely ripped women

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

You should be in a stream with me some time while I read bad visual novels or play bad rpgmaker games or play flawed but enjoyable games :D

That sounds like fun! Maybe when I can exist without going "oohhhhohohhhh fuuuccckkk" every couple minutes again, which will hopefully be soon.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ah, the famous Peach-età

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are Total War and Paradox strategy the only games that have released a Slav LDC?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

The sequel looks like it'll be 100 times worse in that regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn0RpK_PP_Y

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to deny that they are also a remarkably talented team. It's just worth remembering that they had the resources and people to pull it off too.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Snackula posted:

I've only played VIII, it had quite the gee-wiz factor when it came out a couple years ago due to being a full blown PS2 port running on a phone but it's locked in portrait mode which makes it kind of a hassle to navigate around town if you've got a less than stellar sense of direction.

Hmmm, I might give it a shot then if I manage to work up to 20 dollars worth of opinion rewards credit (unlikely)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bicyclops posted:

Are video game rentals even a thing anymore?
For me only Redbox survives, so needless to say many of the games I would like to try are not broad enough in appeal and never make it there. I don't give enough of a poo poo to use a Gamefly ssubscription

Darth Lamer posted:

Who is getting the Switch? I didn't get a preorder but I know a guy who got two and I'm buying one of his.
I got an unexpectedly big refund, I could still get one. I don't like the idea of playing one game and then mothballing it for half a year though.

• Locked thread