Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was also hosed up on (purely medicinal) weed the first time I saw BvS and it made me so angry I was sober within 30 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
The only reason I even got to the end of BvS is because my brain was full of (not even remotely medicinal) weed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Justice League Dark featuring Batman

Worth it for Constantine's jokes. Dubstep theme tune is loving atrocious

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Lego Batman is amazing. So many obscure jokes - kids will love it, but comic nerds will love it too. Casting spoiler - I think I was the only one laughing my rear end off when I realized Billy Dee Williams was doing the voice of Two Face. Had to explain why it was funny after the movie to my friend.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rocksicles posted:

Justice League Dark featuring Batman

Worth it for Constantine's jokes. Dubstep theme tune is loving atrocious

Has it been sitting on a shelf since 2013? Who the gently caress cares about dubstep in 2017?

After seeing Lego Batman, I kind of want them to take the voice cast and make a straight Batman animated show using this cast. Or just cast Rosario Dawsome as DCCU Batgirl or Batwoman.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I watched BvS finally today and it was nowhere near as awful as I was expecting but it wasn't good and was about an hour too long (the director's cut).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

I watched BvS finally today and it was nowhere near as awful as I was expecting but it wasn't good and was about an hour too long (the director's cut).

That cut is considerably better than what was released in theaters. Not good by any stretch, but at least some things actually make sense in it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The amount of crap over-packed into that movie is most of the reason I enjoy it. The Batman's dream/premonition that included New Gods/Apokolips teasing, future Flash stepping through a wormhole, and Bruce waking up from it twice might be my movie moment of 2016.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

welp,

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Jason Todd wearing a Bat-logo is my "NOT MY BATMAN" rage trigger

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You need blue kryptonite to hurt Bizarro :goonsay:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

At least he isn't tearfully beating him to death

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

At least he isn't tearfully beating him to death

Well yeah, you can't do that after MoS already used that idea.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can Cee-Lo please be cast as Darkseid?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ganonseid.

Endless Mike posted:

The theatrical cut has a choppy, loose quality that denies quick and easy satisfaction. Fandom is dependent on that satisfaction, so the movie continues drive people into anger and frustration. It's part of why BvS is remembered and Civil War has been forgotten.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 13, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Age of Ultron is on Netflix now, so I finally watched it. It was entirely what I expected. James Spader did a very good job but they should have kept the effects from Ultron's first appearance throughout.

After seeing Civil War and Doctor Strange in theaters I think I'm gonna go back to watching these whenever. They're alright to see once but not worth dragging my rear end out of the house for. Kinda sucks there's nowhere that rents DVDs anymore cause that would be the perfect way to catch these - shorter wait than for Netflix, but you can return the DVD when you're done.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

BvS was unsatisfying

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Kinda sucks there's nowhere that rents DVDs anymore cause that would be the perfect way to catch these - shorter wait than for Netflix, but you can return the DVD when you're done.

https://dvd.netflix.com ?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not in my country. :(

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BvSw as very satisfying, but it's not easy satisfaction. That's the quality of really memorable art: it stands still, stays, and lingers. What's left when we leave the theatre or the gallery is what we find difficult to process.

The exact opposite of this is Civil War, a movie produced to please in quick and immediate spurts almost tailor-made to become gifs. It's a logical development from the superior but also banal GotG, where the creators are hesitant to ever indulge or linger on the majesty of its cosmic wonders.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 13, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

the creators are hesitant to ever indulge or linger on the majesty of its cosmic wonder.

If there's one thing Star Trek: The Motion Picture did right, it was circling their Enterprise model for about ten minutes :)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I remember a lot more about Civil War despite having seen Batman v Superman much, much more recently. Other than some striking visuals, the only thing I was left with having seen it was a vague memory of being bored. It took me two tries to get through it.

Then again, it was the three hour "Ultimate Cut".

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BvSw as very satisfying, but it's not easy satisfaction. That's the quality of really memorable art: it stands still, stays, and lingers. What's left when we leave the theatre or the gallery is what we find difficult to process.

The exact opposite of this is Civil War, a movie produced to please in quick and immediate spurts almost tailor-made to become gifs. It's a logical development from the superior but also banal GotG, where the creators are hesitant to ever indulge or linger on the majesty of its cosmic wonders.
Batman v Superman shows the problem with your definition of high art. Dawn of Justice is an audacious movie filled with weird music cues, striking dream sequences, and Jesus allegories. But it's still a fundamentally hollow experience. It is possible for something to be striking and memorable and still abysmal. And I speak as someone who not only does appreciate aspects of the movie and has thought a lot about it and has allowed myself to be challenged by it, it's just not that good of a movie.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It is mostly a film of references and allusions but no real thematic depth, if it's a deconstruction of Batman and Superman then it lacks a coherent thesis, but as it is impossible to say nothing (a narrative will create meaning whether it intends to or not) the things it does end up saying are pretty gross and horrible - this isn't to say Snyder is gross and horrible, I in fact hear that he's a lovely man, but his film is. It is also one of the most appallingly structured films I have seen for a number of years as well.

Civil War in comparison has a coherency of vision and theme, and because it has interesting characters that are more intriguingly flawed and layered than BvS's Superman and Batman attempt to be , it was more emotionally engaging to an audience. I don't think it has been forgotten at all, or at least that's not my perception, but Batman v Superman seems to be centre of more active debate because it is both hailed as a disaster (which I feel it is), or as a secret masterpiece (which I feel it certainly isn't) and these are starkly polarized positions.

It's certainly not high art though, I mean, come on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Karloff posted:

Who ever said that? It's a weird mess, which can make it the more interesting/fascinating movie for some.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"It's good it's good" I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a corncob.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can Cee-Lo please be cast as Darkseid?

That's not even his final form.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Something I don't get about Lego Batman

I'm not sure I buy King Kong, Voldemort, Sauron minus his massive army, the Wicked Witch of the West, and Daleks as being particularly more intense than the Batman rogues.

Maybe if they had actually managed to get the rights to Godzilla, instead of having to use a thinly veiled reference, but just those guys? Man I bet Bane could handle half of those by himself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think the weirdest thing about Voldemort being in the movie is that he wasn't voiced by Ralph Fiennes. I guess they didn't want the Dark Lord to sound like Alfred?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
it seems like a casting joke.

The movie seems and sounds like it's gonna be fun, but I'm wondering if it'll work beyond being an entertaining homage to the franchise.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Batman v Superman shows the problem with your definition of high art. Dawn of Justice is an audacious movie filled with weird music cues, striking dream sequences, and Jesus allegories. But it's still a fundamentally hollow experience. It is possible for something to be striking and memorable and still abysmal. And I speak as someone who not only does appreciate aspects of the movie and has thought a lot about it and has allowed myself to be challenged by it, it's just not that good of a movie.

BvS is squarely pop art, not high art. It's pop art.

The movie being hollow would imply that there's some core to it that's missing. The truth is that there is never a core to fiction or art. Art is what it is on the surface. There's never been and never will be any human heart beating beneath it.

Karloff posted:

It is mostly a film of references and allusions but no real thematic depth, if it's a deconstruction of Batman and Superman then it lacks a coherent thesis, but as it is impossible to say nothing (a narrative will create meaning whether it intends to or not) the things it does end up saying are pretty gross and horrible - this isn't to say Snyder is gross and horrible, I in fact hear that he's a lovely man, but his film is. It is also one of the most appallingly structured films I have seen for a number of years as well.

Civil War in comparison has a coherency of vision and theme, and because it has interesting characters that are more intriguingly flawed and layered than BvS's Superman and Batman attempt to be , it was more emotionally engaging to an audience. I don't think it has been forgotten at all, or at least that's not my perception, but Batman v Superman seems to be centre of more active debate because it is both hailed as a disaster (which I feel it is), or as a secret masterpiece (which I feel it certainly isn't) and these are starkly polarized positions.

I didn't say anything about high art.

BvS is about people being disempowered and dealing with that. It's a constantly present theme. You have the habit of just roundly denying that anything happens or is present in the movie. Your criticisms of its "gross" statements were that it makes Batman fascist because he gets into exhilarating fight scenes, and thus he's an idol for the wrong people (which you claimed was "YOUR Batman" for anyone who liked the movie).

Both you and Timeless Appeal seem to appeal to this thesis of "depth" that there is some missing element in it. Your defence of Civil War is that the characters are more "intriguingly flawed and layered" is in this manner: there is depth to the movie because there's humanity to it. In truth, Civil War uses the pretence of humanity to obscure whats happening on the screen - or what's not happening on the screen. It's a movie that's not actually about America, despite starring it's superhero embodiment. Civil War the comic was rooted in the War on Terror and pro/anti-government anxieties of the Bush years. The creators of Civil War the movie never properly decided how to reflect American discontentment, so they ended up with a clumsy transplanting of a rebellious Captain America into an apolitical post-Bush context.

What exactly is the Civil War of the movie about? There's initially tensions over whether or not state power should control superheroes Then Captain America chooses to protect Bucky Barnes from law enforcement while Iron Man wants him arrested. This is ultimately not contingent on that conflict of state power, which at most serves as set-up to divide the heroes. Then Iron Man wants to avenge his parents on Bucky Barnes. The villain also wants vengeance, further confusing the initial conflict of State vs. Individual. Is the conclusion then that the State is the enemy? The creators seem to have worked backwards from the concept of Captain America and Iron Man fighting. That's the result of thinking that the characters are point of the story instead of vice versa. This thematic confusion is foreshadowed when Winter Soldier shifts the blame for American surveillance state from Bush and Obama to a conspiracy of Nazi infiltrators. Even for escapist art, the Marvel movies have become disengaged from reality.

BvS in contrast draws on the disillusionment and fear of the later Obama years when we all became aware of the chaos churning beneath the surface, when we started hearing the sound of jackboots in every corner of the world, and stared at our impending climate catastrophe. Media, politicians, and the common man are impotent in the face of global and personal insecurity, and are drawn instead into a bitter partisan conflict. The villain of the movie is the type of political freak who we'd never guess to find in the Cabinet of the United States in 2017. How we wish that Flash would have warned us properly.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 13, 2017

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Medullah posted:

Lego Batman is amazing. So many obscure jokes - kids will love it, but comic nerds will love it too.

yeah, i absolutely loved it :)

was consistently funny the whole way through

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The thesis of Civil War seemed pretty clear and consistent to me. Not "the personal is political" but "the political is personal". The actual, political reasons behind the Sokovia Accords are immaterial because the movie makes it very clear that they only exist to make people who are guilty or afraid feel better. The Accords are nonsensical and unenforceable because they're entirely emotionally motivated: "We want to feel like we have some measure of control, even if it's just an illusion." The same is true of Steve and Tony. They make noise about ideals, but Steve just wants to protect his friend and Tony just wants to absolve himself of guilt (even if it's just an illusion). And later, of course, Tony discards all pretence of reason or ideology and just wants revenge and closure for his parents' deaths (even if it's just an illusion). Just like he tried to find closure earlier in the movie through an illusion. This emotionally driven political message seems pretty relevant, even prescient, given our current situation.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

The thesis of Civil War seemed pretty clear and consistent to me. Not "the personal is political" but "the political is personal". The actual, political reasons behind the Sokovia Accords are immaterial because the movie makes it very clear that they only exist to make people who are guilty or afraid feel better. The Accords are nonsensical and unenforceable because they're entirely emotionally motivated

That is hella libertarian.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm not sure I buy King Kong, Voldemort, Sauron minus his massive army, the Wicked Witch of the West, and Daleks as being particularly more intense than the Batman rogues.

Maybe if they had actually managed to get the rights to Godzilla, instead of having to use a thinly veiled reference, but just those guys? Man I bet Bane could handle half of those by himself.

I think it was just an excuse to riff on The Lego Movie. Instead of getting all the heroes together for a big smash up you get all the villains together. It didn't work as well because nothing as as memorable as the Green Lantern/Superman gag in Lego Movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Lord Voldemort is a teleporting immortal superwizard who can murder you with a thought. I mean of all the people mentioned there he is one of the ones who can probably wipe out Batman's rogues on his own.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

That is hella libertarian.

It's partly Libertarian, in that it posits that governments acting on entirely emotional reasons is bad and unenforceable and shouldn't happen, but the individuals aren't shown to be any better at self-governing. The final message of the movie is, if anything, "Reason and discourse could have avoided this disaster", which isn't a terribly controversial statement, I should think, but here we are in 2017.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The truth is that there is never a core to fiction or art. Art is what it is on the surface. There's never been and never will be any human heart beating beneath it.

Are you an extraterrestrial? It is the only explanation for how you could so badly misunderstand art as a concept.

Your criticisms of its "gross" statements were that it makes Batman fascist because he gets into exhilarating fight scenes, and thus he's an idol for the wrong people (which you claimed was "YOUR Batman" for anyone who liked the movie).

No, I'd say he's a fascist for deciding to murder a man he's never met in the name of maintaining the status quo, and he's only an idol for people who have been clamoring to see Batman beat up Superman regardless of context and quality.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I realize I'm also guilty of goading the bargain-bin SMG -- he leaves such easy openings -- but can we stop goading the bargain-bin SMG here?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm just tryin' to talk about Civil War. It's an interesting movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

I'm just tryin' to talk about Civil War. It's an interesting movie.

Elizabeth Olsen sure is purty.

• Locked thread