Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hillary clinton, ghost of elections past and future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Philip Rivers posted:

I'm not comparing across party lines though, I'm saying Hillary got much more support in a state like, say, Ohio than Bernie did and lost that state to Trump in the GE. What evidence is there that Bernie, having gotten less support than Hillary in the primary, would have gotten more than she did in the GE? If the answer is independent voters, remember that Ohio has an open primary.

An open primary still has a different set of voters than the general election, in that the vast majority of people don't bother voting in the primary but a decent chunk of them will vote in the general

imagine if you will more clap emojis

docbeard posted:

Are you seriously asking why the AP would want to be the first to report arguably the biggest piece of American political news at the time?

I thought the media loves horse-race narratives. Why not keep people glued to their seats all of the next day watching and reading coverage of a primary, rather than finding out it doesn't matter right beforehand?

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

I dont think we shall ever be able to move on from the primaries and heal

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Proud Christian Mom posted:

she can't lose, It's Her Turn!

right?

i mean rep voters would never vote full fascism and dem voters won't stay home when the alternative is full fascism

Serf
May 5, 2011

this election was a gut punch to the nation, and we're not gonna stop talking about it anytime soon

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

loquacius posted:

I thought the media loves horse-race narratives. Why not keep people glued to their seats all of the next day watching and reading coverage of a primary, rather than finding out it doesn't matter right beforehand?

it was called by the AP, who makes money from people re-publishing their stories. not the networks, who were expecting to call after NJ

i mean regardless, if the clinton campaign could tell the ap what to do she would have had a much easier time in this election

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

logikv9 posted:

I can't tell how much of this is joking and how much of it is not reading the article

in the grand scheme of things, only two things really matter: death and

quote:

Buttigieg.

bootedgeedg-- yeah, that.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Serf posted:

this election was a gut face punch to the nation, and we're not gonna stop talking about it anytime soon

republican voters are antifa, and america is richard spencer

right now we're walking away from the cameras crying

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Philip Rivers posted:

God just 6 me now please I hate getting pulled into primary salt chat every time I say anything about how Hillary isn't the devil.

She's not the devil She's a run of the mill corporate oligarch who ran a huge patronage network and outside of that has a weird and devoted personality cult.

And she lost a general election to Donald J Trump, pissmonkey.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

it was called by the AP, who makes money from people re-publishing their stories. not the networks, who were expecting to call after NJ

i mean regardless, if the clinton campaign could tell the ap what to do she would have had a much easier time in this election

My argument wasn't that they were telling them what to do so much as leaking info at exactly the right time to take all the wind out of Sanders' sails

And I still say the timing was highly suspect, but even if it WAS just a completely random confluence of natural forces or whatever, the race was still pretty much over by California anyway and IMO it was impressive that Bernie managed to get so many votes there even after being mathematically eliminated from contention

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

You know who has a real cult of personality? Bernie

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

bernie and trump: the nation is broken we must fix it!
clinton: lol no its fine go back to sleep sheeple

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Philip Rivers posted:

Oh jeez

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Philip Rivers posted:

yes, actually.

Which points to one of the major problems with the way Democrats conduct business. Politics, like the vast majority of things in life, cannot be reduced to looking at 2 columns in a spreadsheet and making the best choice. Politics is necessarily personal and human: we don't vote for proposals, we vote for people.

I caution not to hero worship anyone, least of all a politician, but it's to Bernie's credit that people have a strong vision of the kind of world he wants. I have no idea what Hillary's world would've looked like, but I guess it's my fault because I didn't view her website.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Philip Rivers posted:

speaking as someone who was in that cult of personality, to someone who is in the other one: both of them do

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Philip Rivers posted:

You know who has a real cult of personality? JEB!

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Philip Rivers posted:

:lol: that you think that

:berned::bernin::gethill::bern101::bernpop:

just :lol:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Penisaurus Sex posted:

yes, actually.

Which points to one of the major problems with the way Democrats conduct business. Politics, like the vast majority of things in life, cannot be reduced to looking at 2 columns in a spreadsheet and making the best choice. Politics is necessarily personal and human: we don't vote for proposals, we vote for people.

I caution not to hero worship anyone, least of all a politician, but it's to Bernie's credit that people have a strong vision of the kind of world he wants. I have no idea what Hillary's world would've looked like, but I guess it's my fault because I didn't view her website.

did you know there are people who vote who do not have access to the internet

weird i know

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

anime was right posted:

did you know there are people who vote who do not have access to the internet

weird i know

robbie mook assured me it would be fine

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

All successful presidential candidacies rely on a rabid cult of personality. It's called "your base"

Also in good news, some rear end in a top hat that pulled a gun on a BLM rally got convicted

http://koin.com/2017/02/12/man-who-pulled-gun-on-crowd-guilty/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

zegermans posted:

All successful presidential candidacies rely on a rabid cult of personality. It's called "your base"

Also in good news, some rear end in a top hat that pulled a gun on a BLM rally got convicted

http://koin.com/2017/02/12/man-who-pulled-gun-on-crowd-guilty/

im sure his 3 months of probation will sting

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

is there ever been, in teh history of america, a black man who has drawn a gun with police around and survived

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Hey Newton.

For a while, at least.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Al! posted:

is there ever been, in teh history of america, a black man who has drawn a gun with police around and survived

it doesn't even have to be a gun!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Al! posted:

I'm p sure there's black cops

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

Devil's Advocate here: let's say the opinion Philip Rivers has most recently moved the goalposts to is 100% correct, and Hillary only lost because of decades of smear campaigns of misogynist origin. Take that as a given for a second.

What would that change exactly? If a candidate has been so thoroughly smeared that they can't win against an openly-mocked reality-TV Twitter-tantrumming fascist, isn't it still a Really Bad Idea to nominate that candidate? Shouldn't you instead choose to nominate someone who HASN'T been under a microscope for 30 years? Even if the smears were only smeared because everybody hates women or something, does that make them not count?

In short, would not Bernie still have won?

I think the general answer to this is that they assumed that everyone could see the 30 years of Republican lies/the emails/etc for what they were, and that everyone could see Donald Trump for what he was.

And really, I think they were probably right about that, but wrong about how much difference it would make. This election didn't turn solely on desperate people (from the demographic breakdowns I've seen it was basically rich old people that hosed us all, as per usual), but they were absolutely a factor, and Trump was the only GE candidate who (astonishingly) was convincing about giving a poo poo about their problems. Hillary's premise of Let's Hold On To The Good Things We've Got In The Face Of People Who Want To Take Them Away isn't actually awful, but it's not a message that, on its own, was going to resonate with people who are wondering where the gently caress any of their promised good things are.

I'm more skeptical than many about whether Bernie could have out-populisted Trump the Televangelist, but in retrospect attacking Trump as a failed politician was a losing strategy.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al! posted:

Negromancer has a story of beating up cops and getting only a year.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Philip Rivers posted:

All successful national politicians have a cult of personality. Ted loving Cruz has true believers, for some reason.

What does that have to do with anything?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
do you know who you get if you want a politician without a cult of personality? You get John Kerry.

Even fuckin Gore got some Clinton cult spillover and then when he got all beardy and stuck his tongue down his wife's throat on stage folks were all 'haha ok'. Kerry was a black hole of personality and if you tell me you know any one genuine Kerry fan, not just a Kerry voter but someone who was eager to go vote for him in a not 'well yea fuckin Bush is gonna wreck us otherwise' context I'll call you a liar.

The worst part is Clinton totally did have her cult of personality. She just completely failed to use it because she somehow forgot after near three decades in national politics that you still need to preach to the chior.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Concerned Citizen posted:

ThndrShk2k posted:

"No" cried the DNC in a lackluster monotone voice as the media repeatedly says Hillary is destined to win due to her massive lead of 500 super delegates
"That's misrepresenting things." they persisted but failed to feign interest, almost yawning. "The super delegates don't actually vote until after the primaries"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

do you know who you get if you want a politician without a cult of personality? You get John Kerry.

Even fuckin Gore got some Clinton cult spillover and then when he got all beardy and stuck his tongue down his wife's throat on stage folks were all 'haha ok'. Kerry was a black hole of personality and if you tell me you know any one genuine Kerry fan, not just a Kerry voter but someone who was eager to go vote for him in a not 'well yea fuckin Bush is gonna wreck us otherwise' context I'll call you a liar.

The worst part is Clinton totally did have her cult of personality. She just completely failed to use it because she somehow forgot after near three decades in national politics that you still need to preach to the chior.

I was a member of the Kerry Kult. I was super happy when he became SoS.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

zegermans posted:

what the gently caress, i almost gave u a probation just for that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

there's so many jokes to make here but I just genuinely want to settle on '...why though' in hopes to get some insight.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

:agreed: except I think Clinton's campaign focused TOO much on preaching to the choir and running up the score in California etc

zegermans posted:

jesus christ zegermans

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've used Kerry as an example for a politician without a 'cult of personality' plenty of times and this is the first time a dude has been all 'nah I liked Kerry tho' and it's like having someone go 'uh excuse me I like to get my nuts kicked' when someone says 'that was a real kick in the balls huh'. It's not that I didn't know there's a literal non-zero population into that, it's just that I didn't expect to actually encounter one in the wild.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

He wasn't Bush, that was enough for me. Also the Iran Nuclear Deal was a shining example of what he could have been as president, a man who's willing to put in 25 hour days to get a deal done to save lives.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh, that's why I said "In a not 'well bush is gonna gently caress us' context". Like, if you were voting in the primary would you pick Kerry as choice #1?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Oh, that's why I said "In a not 'well bush is gonna gently caress us' context". Like, if you were voting in the primary would you pick Kerry as choice #1?

i thought john kerry was just mac tonite's name offstage

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

i thought john kerry was just mac tonite's name offstage

man I'd vote for Mac Tonite in a primary no question. America's ready for our first moon man president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

man I'd vote for Mac Tonite in a primary no question. America's ready for our first moon man president

i guess jerry brown is kinda too old now

• Locked thread