Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Johnny Walker posted:

Really? I thought it was the Vacation thing, which really isn't so far-fetched with Gilchrist. Never heard of that for Wal-Mart.

It's like pronouncing Target "Tarjhey"; sometimes you're going to the same drat store so often you want to be cute about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD
]
Jesus Christ, lady, we get it. He's fat.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
:qq: :qq:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I really like this one

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Savidudeosoo posted:

Jesus Christ, lady, we get it. He's fat hot.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Really? I thought it was the Vacation thing, which really isn't so far-fetched with Gilchrist. Never heard of that for Wal-Mart.

I don't necessarily recommend anyone watch this video but apparently the Louisiana EBT card is called the Louisiana Purchase Card. I can't decide if that's clever or awful. I'm leaning towards clever.

It's a bounce video so it's all twerking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c468I5qQnUU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Savidudeosoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8kY_IbYq4

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Heavy and hot costumes, padded and bulky. They're also bloated and overweight and smell slightly of burnt french fry oil at all times

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of KCHINK KKABLDK UUNNGHH

Eastern Sour:

2 oz. bourbon or rye
2 oz. fresh orange juice
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
1/4 oz simple syrup
1/4 oz orgeat syrup

Shake with one cup of crushed ice, pour into an old fashioned glass, garnish with a citrus slice or peel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would drink that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Savidudeosoo posted:

wah wah wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I would drink that.

Ditto but it's too many ingredients for me to bother with at home.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Edge of KCHINK KKABLDK UUNNGHH

Eastern Sour:

2 oz. bourbon or rye
2 oz. fresh orange juice
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
1/4 oz simple syrup
1/4 oz orgeat syrup

Shake with one cup of crushed ice, pour into an old fashioned glass, garnish with a citrus slice or peel.

Turns out he's just allergic to almonds.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Quite probably my favorite C&H strip.

Good, because you'll see it plenty of times over the strip's run.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

gently caress you Piraro

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Somebody please tally the amount of post-Ces Judge Parker strips that's just the family looking morose and broken

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
Piraro is one of the worst working cartoonists. By far. Guy can't land one single loving joke and is also outright offensive at times to boot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

This is a known feel.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

painynumbs posted:

Piraro is one of the worst working cartoonists. By far. Guy can't land one single loving joke and is also outright offensive at times to boot.

Agreed on current piraro, but here's one from 2008 I liked because of the guy at the bar.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

painynumbs posted:

Arlo and Janis is consistently good. I love it.

I've been reading Baldo for like two years now and I really dislike it. There's one strip where the dad puts a sign on the front lawn that says something like "My daughter reads books and is smarter and better than your loving illiterate spawn" or something like that, I'm paraphrasing.

There was no joke or anything, it was just that.

I've decided that Baldo is the result of someone deciding that there needs to be more positive depictions of Hispanic people in the media, without the realization that there should also be good story telling, character development, jokes, etc.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I just..can't...whut

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I just..can't...whut

Edited 9/11 tribute.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Odonata posted:

I've decided that Baldo is the result of someone deciding that there needs to be more positive depictions of Hispanic people in the media, without the realization that there should also be good story telling, character development, jokes, etc.

The first mistake was making it a newspaper comic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That was the first success - newspaper comics is like the only medium in which you can avoid having any of those three things without affecting your popularity or distribution in any way.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Odonata posted:

Curtis is the same thing, except for black people.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I dunno, Curtis is a lot better than Baldo imo, especially considering it has the amazing :catdrugs: Kwanzaa specials

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Curtis is better than Baldo because even when it's making an old man-ism it still feels like you're relating to the kid and the dad is like Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace. Baldo, on the other hand, has the universe set up to support the old man-ism.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kavak posted:

Edited 9/11 tribute.

First I burst out laughing at it, then I saw Mort Walker's handwritten date and realized what it must be.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Curtis rules and I get the sense the artist is at least a little self-aware

painynumbs posted:

I feel like part of it is just the expressions on every character's face, in every strip. Everyone looks so loving full of ennui, like they all look like that Super Fun Pak parody of the Lockhorns, they know they're in the comic, they know they're part of a probably not good joke, and they're just going through the motions. Everyone just delivers their wry quip with no physical emotion or conviction whatsoever and it's almost draining to look at any strip for more than a few seconds.

90% of Bizarro strips:
:geno: The minorities, eh?
:what: Yes, I, too, have seen them depicted in media.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

I dunno, Curtis is a lot better than Baldo imo, especially considering it has the amazing :catdrugs: Kwanzaa specials

Though they seem to have stopped doing those. :(

My internet is being just the worst today, so my good comics will have to wait until it stops doing that. Here's some Luann, though! It's time to poo poo on Les!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (February, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (June, 1916)

I don't know. It just came to me.

Doings of the Duffs. (May, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (May, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (May, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (October, 1940)

Tweedy (December, 1955, click for big)

Archie (October, 1955, click for big)

Jaf (1970)

Feiffer (1971, click for big)

Andy Capp (February, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (March, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (November, 2009, click for big)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CRIME STOPPERS TEXTBOOK
During the denouement scene never take your finger off the trigger and make sure to point your gun directly into the face of whomever you are addressing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set just wants a challenge.

Working Daze is a big ol' wet fart.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is stuck in a rut.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm really glad to see all the Baldo and Curtis discussion. For the record, I agree with all the Baldo criticism, but I post it because it's a great hate-read and every once in awhile it lands a joke. Today is not that day though.

Wizard of Id

I think this is the second or third time that WizofId has done the "Wizard makes someone barf something weird at the castle" gag but it's still funny so whatev.

Big Nate

Wallace The Brave

Curtis

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
"ptic-ptac-ptoe" ... Richard Thompson, you were too beautiful for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Slammy posted:

The Gay Thirties (May, 1935, click for big))

Reusing exam questions is an amateur move, 1930s school teacher!

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

• Locked thread