Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah the only time I've seen Nioh stutter, framerate wise in action mode on the ps4 old is when you go to a shrine and all those particle effects happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Did the zaibatsu ever use beast mode in Bloodborne?

doos
Jan 1, 2015

I appreciate Evillak's cameo in Congo.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Did the zaibatsu ever use beast mode in Bloodborne?
I recall them trying it out in the Hunter's Dream, maybe on some mooks, but I don't think they ever used it seriously.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I missed matt. This Congo video is so good

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Got DS3 and having a blast. Co-op password is an awesome feature and even though I'm barely into the game, I think I'm already a bit sad there won't be a literal souls 4.

Although get killed by a hacker sucked. Surprised I didn't run into any in 1 or 2.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Pat is getting owned by everything so Woolie desperately tries to convince Pat to carry healing items.
"By why would I want to USE the items?!"
I love this response so much.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

HGH posted:

"By why would I want to USE the items?!"

The fact that he's not joking makes me want to choke him. I am seething with anger :argh:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
oops, wrong thread

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
So apparently a lot of people in this thread has played Fire Emblem games and I'm looking for advice. I just recently started Fire Emblem Awakening (getting Fates if I have fun with this one) and I'm a bit miffed about what difficulty I should play on.
I tried this game originally back when it was released, set the game to Hard Classic, lost like three units in the first two missions and gave up. This time around I did the same thing with the same outcome, so I restarted on Hard Newcomer and it's working out better, but I'm worried I'm not getting the "most" out of the game. I've played games with permadeath before but unlike, say, Xcom the characters in FE are all named story characters, so losing one feels like you're missing out on potentially a lot of backstory. If a grunt dies in Xcom it's bad, but it's just a random rookie who was probably gonna die anyway. Also since there's no bleedout system it feels like an unlucky crit or miss can just ruin your day/file.

I'm only 8 or 9 chapters in, so restarting and skipping all the cutscenes wouldn't be a huge hassle. Should I just restart on Normal Classic?
Also is there some list somewhere of what DLC is doable at which level?
Also is relying too much on Frederick a huge crutch that will bite me in the rear end later?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would just start on hard casual because learning your mistakes is important while also not burning out on repeating missions because of one mistake an hour in.

Main advice is to pair up always whenever possible, have healers heal every nick and bump to constantly gain levels, turn on enemy ranges at all times and put your surdiesst defenders with 2 range weapons on to weaken the wave of enemies incoming.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Foxhound posted:

So apparently a lot of people in this thread has played Fire Emblem games and I'm looking for advice. I just recently started Fire Emblem Awakening (getting Fates if I have fun with this one) and I'm a bit miffed about what difficulty I should play on.
I tried this game originally back when it was released, set the game to Hard Classic, lost like three units in the first two missions and gave up. This time around I did the same thing with the same outcome, so I restarted on Hard Newcomer and it's working out better, but I'm worried I'm not getting the "most" out of the game. I've played games with permadeath before but unlike, say, Xcom the characters in FE are all named story characters, so losing one feels like you're missing out on potentially a lot of backstory. If a grunt dies in Xcom it's bad, but it's just a random rookie who was probably gonna die anyway. Also since there's no bleedout system it feels like an unlucky crit or miss can just ruin your day/file.

I'm only 8 or 9 chapters in, so restarting and skipping all the cutscenes wouldn't be a huge hassle. Should I just restart on Normal Classic?
Also is there some list somewhere of what DLC is doable at which level?
Also is relying too much on Frederick a huge crutch that will bite me in the rear end later?

You are supposed to reset when you lose a character in fire emblem. With casual mode on you can suicide characters into enemies to get through hard spots and permadeath stops that. It encourages careful play.

Difficulty in awakening is also very frontloaded. After you get through the beginning, hard will feel much easier and normal going to be a total cakewalk.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Tae posted:

I would just start on hard casual because learning your mistakes is important while also not burning out on repeating missions because of one mistake an hour in.

Main advice is to pair up always whenever possible, have healers heal every nick and bump to constantly gain levels, turn on enemy ranges at all times and put your surdiesst defenders with 2 range weapons on to weaken the wave of enemies incoming.

Yeah I usually do all that and the further I get the "easier" it becomes. But like the third side mission is just a pain because you have to take out 12ish enemy units before they can gank the idiot villagers and pairing up sometimes makes it feel like you have too few units to deal with all the enemies. Is it worth it to sometimes have sturdy units go solo just to have more guaranteed attacks (I really wish it would say if the paired unit will attack as well rathjer than this semi-random relationship stuff) but always have squishies protected?

Andrast posted:

You are supposed to reset when you lose a character in fire emblem.

I'd believe you if there was a load option anywhere except the title screen, or even a way to return to the title screen. I guess there is one in the options menu on Newcomer, but I don't wanna savescum that hard between every turn, just if a battle goes tits up completely.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

normally id say don't care about save scumming in games but the character to character interactions are like the key reason to play fire emblem so having dudes die kind of ruins that aspect.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you're going to reset if someone dies rather than shrug and call them a casualty of war and keep playing (I do the former except not really beacuse I just play casual) then reset and stsrt it up on some form of difficulty with casual on for your own sake.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Resetting when units die is literally how the developers play the game. If you don't want to do it you should probably play on casual since ironman runs in fire emblem are not very advisable unless you know what you are doing.

Foxhound posted:

I'd believe you if there was a load option anywhere except the title screen, or even a way to return to the title screen. I guess there is one in the options menu on Newcomer, but I don't wanna savescum that hard between every turn, just if a battle goes tits up completely.

L + R + Star/Select is the soft reset

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Futaba Anzu posted:

normally id say don't care about save scumming in games but the character to character interactions are like the key reason to play fire emblem so having dudes die kind of ruins that aspect.

Andrast posted:

Resetting when units die is literally how the developers play the game.

Lol when developers can't stomach their own design decisions.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I don't know about the new Fire Emblem games but the old GBA games would occasionally have unique scenes and dialogue if certain people were dead. It was pretty cool and encouraged you to let go of people you lost. Also you end up with WAY more people then you need so losing even a decent number does not really matter by mid game.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Why wouldn't they just have you game over and restart the mission when someone dies if perma-death is so undesirable? Or give you the option of rewinding to a previous state if you do choose to soldier on and later regret it? Or even "game over, here's how far you got. Start again?" Anything except "buuuhhhhh delete the save I guess?".

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
There's more than one Congo game?

edit: not really a question, more like "Oh god there's more than one Congo game?"

Forgall fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 13, 2017

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Makes you sad that our reality isn't the one with the Congo Cinematic Universe

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'd say the earlier FE games, with their lategame prepeomotes, less intensive support systems, and unique death endings, facilitated permadeath way more than Awakening. Especially considering the kids.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Yeah I usually do all that and the further I get the "easier" it becomes. But like the third side mission is just a pain because you have to take out 12ish enemy units before they can gank the idiot villagers and pairing up sometimes makes it feel like you have too few units to deal with all the enemies. Is it worth it to sometimes have sturdy units go solo just to have more guaranteed attacks (I really wish it would say if the paired unit will attack as well rathjer than this semi-random relationship stuff) but always have squishies protected?

Okay for that specific mission, have Cordelia and/or Sumia pair-up with a tank support *like Kellam or a cavalier*, maybe eat a defense tonic, and have her take on those 3 peg knights. There, that solves most of your problem.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Bee posted:

I'd say the earlier FE games, with their lategame prepeomotes, less intensive support systems, and unique death endings, facilitated permadeath way more than Awakening. Especially considering the kids.

The permadeath and the newer FE's focus on character interaction (and making animes kiss) are definitely at odds since losing someone can mean losing a significant amount of content.

Yet they still balance the gameplay with permadeath in mind so :shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You still get promoted units the mid and late game for Awakening at least. And Fates just gives at least 2 incredibly powerful (probably by a mile) characters at the midway point and they only die at the higher difficulties.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Holy loly. Sen's Funhouse comes out swinging hard against Woolie, it was everything I could have wanted :allears:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
This episode has one of the greatest Pat is Wrong moments ever. :allears:

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 13, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

sort of odd that Pat is directing Woolie to save Solaire considering Woolie has missed Solaire at every opportunity

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tae posted:

DS1 is the most puzzley of the games. The combat he'll do fine, it's the stuff like Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo ceiling that will gently caress him.

Called it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Buckets posted:

Holy loly. Sen's Funhouse comes out swinging hard against Woolie, it was everything I could have wanted :allears:
I can't stop hearing "Welcome to the house of fun" play every time Woolie fucks up, it's great.
EDIT: Might as well link the video where I stole that from

That reminds me, I saw Woolie marking out over Tarkus the other day on Twitter, can't wait for that coop moment.

HGH fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 13, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Neo_Crimson posted:

This episode is one of the greatest Pat is Wrong moments ever. :allears:

Was...was that the fire axe throw moment? That wasn't bad, just a long walk back

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Was...was that the fire axe throw moment? That wasn't bad, just a long walk back

Maybe he'll accidentally throw a fireball at Gwynevere.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Woolie is going to overshoot the drop to the bonfire below the boulder fire giant

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Invictus posted:

Seriously I have no idea if we have hit it yet or if pat doesn't know what a "fire axe moment" is.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Tae posted:

Woolie is going to overshoot the drop to the bonfire below the boulder fire giant

I'm kinda hoping Pat doesn't even tell him about it if Woolie doesn't find it on his own. I sure as hell didn't.

Also, despite what it looks like I'm pretty sure the lightning attack the snake ladies throw is actually pure magic damage. The crest shield is the shield of choice for Sen's and Pat is wrong.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What supposedly is the funniest souls LP they have done besides Bloodborne?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Buckets posted:

I'm kinda hoping Pat doesn't even tell him about it if Woolie doesn't find it on his own. I sure as hell didn't.

Also, despite what it looks like I'm pretty sure the lightning attack the snake ladies throw is actually pure magic damage. The crest shield is the shield of choice for Sen's and Pat is wrong.

Correct. That's a mistake I'd be perfectly fine with forgiving Pat for, though. It's such bullshit.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

HGH posted:

That reminds me, I saw Woolie marking out over Tarkus the other day on Twitter, can't wait for that coop moment.

I don't think you can call it co-op if the summon solo's the boss. Which is what I hope happened, Tarkus is so good.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grouchio posted:

woolie playing the DLC of vanilla ds2. Not the whole thing just the dlc where he's hilariously rusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Skeleton Ball.