Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrianWilly posted:

I realize I'm also guilty of goading the bargain-bin SMG -- he leaves such easy openings -- but can we stop goading the bargain-bin SMG here?

Maybe you guys should stop owning yourselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I recognised all of batman's rogues in the batman lego movie except one. Condiment King. I thought the movie made him up.

My comic book knowledge is sub par :negative:.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Monaghan posted:

I recognised all of batman's rogues in the batman lego movie except one. Condiment King. I thought the movie made him up.

It's not too late to ketchup.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Monaghan posted:

You should relish the opportunity to learn more.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Phylodox posted:

I'm just tryin' to talk about Civil War. It's an interesting movie.

It's a great movie. It's hard for me to understand how it isn't everyone's favorite superhero movie. Like Guardians is definitely funnier and maybe there's more charisma in the cast but Civil War at this point I think it's the most "comic booky" while maintaining the most quality or respectability if that makes sense.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My favorite line in a review of Civil War was that it is one of the rare big dumb comic book movies that doesn't treat the audience like they're dumb.

The ending and twist were legitimately well executed and surprising.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My favorite line in a review of Civil War was that it is one of the rare big dumb comic book movies that doesn't treat the audience like they're dumb.

The ending and twist were legitimately well executed and surprising.

I love the ending because it's contingent on Zemo understanding the structure of the genre of film he's in. "Oh, in the end the heroes realize there's a greater threat they need to face, so they put aside their differences and fight the true villain together? Well, hey, guys, wanna watch a video first?"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how a thirty-year old twist from a well known comic is that impressive.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't know how a thirty-year old twist from a well known comic is that impressive.

The hell you talking about?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Approximately 110 million more people saw the movie than ever read the comic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What twist are we talking about?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The one in Watchmen. "Dan, I'm not a republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 13, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

drat dude are you even trying

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He never tries but you keep biting none the less.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rhyno posted:

What twist are we talking about?

Zemo had killed all the other Winter Soldiers in their stasis tubes because he thought they were monsters and had never planned on using them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait are we talking about Watchmen now? When the gently caress did that happen?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rhyno posted:

Wait are we talking about Watchmen now? When the gently caress did that happen?

Bravest of the Lamps is trying to say that the ending of Civil War was not a twist because another comic had done a similar twist 30-years ago.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bravest of the Lamps is trying to say that the ending of Civil War was not a twist because another comic had done a similar twist 30-years ago.

I said that it's odd to find it impressive after Watchmen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Well he's a loving idiot.

Also the ending of CW was fairly predictable, the Bucky having killed Stark's parents bit anyways. They telegraphed the poo poo out of it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rhyno posted:

Well he's a loving idiot.

Also the ending of CW was fairly predictable, the Bucky having killed Stark's parents bit anyways. They telegraphed the poo poo out of it.

That part was predictable and pretty much explicitly said in Winter Soldier.

The parts with Zemo killing all of the other Winter Soldier test subjects instead of activating them, the voicemail being from over a year ago, and then Zemo trying to kill himself were not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was pretty clear that the voicemail was old.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's not even that similar to Watchmen. In that, Ozymandias' big reveal was that he had already implemented his big plan. In Civil War, Zemo's big reveal was that what you thought was his plan all along was just a way of distracting and dividing the heroes long enough for him to get what he needed from the very beginning, the tape of Bucky killing Tony's parents. The whole convoluted scheme involving super soldiers was entirely a ruse. It would have been closer to Ozymandias saying, "Look, Dan, the whole murder mystery/alien squid thing? That was loving stupid. Did you really think that was my plan? Seriously? That was just to keep you guys busy while I brokered a peace between Russia and the United States. Because I knew you'd gently caress it up. Because you're gently caress ups. Anyways, enjoy world peace."

That actually sounds like a pretty cool ending.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The truth is that there is never a core to fiction or art. Art is what it is on the surface. There's never been and never will be any human heart beating beneath it.
|/
:spergin:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

It was pretty clear that the voicemail was old.

It's true. Nobody uses voicemail anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

It's true. Nobody uses voicemail anymore.

How on earth do you still have that avatar?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

How on earth do you still have that avatar?

Not sure I've ever chosen my own avatar on SA, actually. Hmm...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think that whatever else you may think of Civil War, it probably has the best climax of any superhero movie.

No sky laser, no broad schemes by a thoroughly underdeveloped villain, no artificially raised stakes ("Quick, Spider-Man! Stop that artificial sun!")

Just raw emotion and punching. Two of my favorite things!

I guess Dark Knight's climax is pretty good too but it's undercut by how crummy the fight scenes are in that movie/those Bat Suits

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OnimaruXLR posted:

The final battle of Kamen Rider Kuuga is much the same way. Very intense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

OnimaruXLR posted:

No sky laser, no broad schemes by a thoroughly underdeveloped villain, no artificially raised stakes ("Quick, Spider-Man! Stop that artificial sun!")

Dude. Shut up. The mini-sun is built up throughout the movie and Ock dying to help stop it is the perfect end to his arc.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm still gonna say Guardians of the Galaxy had my favourite climactic showdown. Defeating the villain by finally accepting the death of your mother and moving on is pretty awesome.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think that whatever else you may think of Civil War, it probably has the best climax of any superhero movie.

I guess Dark Knight's climax is pretty good too but it's undercut by how crummy the fight scenes are in that movie/those Bat Suits

People don't like the Nolan batsuits? :confused:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean the first one restricted movement too much so I guess Christian Bale wasn't a fan.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

People don't like the Nolan batsuits? :confused:

I thought everything about Batman was just about the least interesting/compelling thing about the Nolan films.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Film quality aside, I always thought the TDK/R batsuit was generally accepted to be the best live-action version of the suit.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Let me show you a little film called Batman: Dead End.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

Let me show you a little film called Batman: Dead End.

I know it's pretty divisive, but that's my favourite live action Batman costume.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Film quality aside, I always thought the TDK/R batsuit was generally accepted to be the best live-action version of the suit.

It's certainly the most practical one yet. I was slightly bothered by the lack of a proper cowl, though. I mean yes, that's what made it possible for Batman to finally turn his goddamn head, but it just looks slightly off.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Nolan batsuits are Goddamn terrible and without the mask are basically unidentifiable as Batman. Even then the mask just looks like a motorcycle helmet.

The TDK/Rises suits just look like fuckin Halo armor or something. Theyre so busy and overstuffed with 'tactical realism'. Finding the Bat logo on that is like searching for that one particular black Lego piece you need in a pile of nearly identical black Lego pieces.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

purple death ray posted:

The Nolan batsuits are Goddamn terrible and without the mask are basically unidentifiable as Batman.
I don't know, I think the belt helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
For all of Batman v Superman's sins, the batsuit was pretty much perfect.

• Locked thread