Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
One of the weird things about the animation of the bugs in ST is that some of it was done by Phil Tippet studios. After summarily being kicked to the curb by Jurassic Park, Tippet tried to integrate traditional stop-motion animation with the new CGI visuals. He took the typical ball jointed figure used as an internal support for stop-motion figures, attached custom-designed sensors to the joints, and fed that data into the animation program. So they could hand-pose the physical ball-jointed figure in the keyframes for the animation, and use that to drive the digital characters.

Obviously that was slow and cumbersome as hell, and they even tried doing "live recordings", where there'd be six animators with their hands on the figure, moving the body and limbs in real time. I don't know if the animation they did actually ended up in the film, but I have a feeling it was one of those situations where the practical effects guys hand off their work to the CGI guys, and the CGI guys go "Oh.... thank you, I guess?" and then promptly toss that work in the trash and do everything 100% digital. Amalgamated Dynamics full-size bugs were kept around for some shots, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that Tippets animation data was never actually used.

And now Tippet remains the most bitter effects guy in Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Career
Mar 27, 2010

WampaLord posted:

My favorite thing that isn't really touched on is how poo poo the Federation's tactics are. They send in ground troops en masse to get slaughtered, then only later after promoting a new sky marshall do they think to bomb the planet first with jets and send the infantry to clean up.

I always assumed this was done intentionally: people who want to be "citizens," i.e. politically active, are dangerous to the status quo, so you kill them off en masse in the meat grinder. The only evidence of 'citizenship' in the film is getting a government job if you survive. They don't appear to participate in the government of the country, since it's presented as a military dictatorship with a rubber-stamp legislature where everyone applauds in unison when the Leader speaks.

Also got the impression that the meteor strike (blaming it on "Bug plasma" when they have no loving clue what it does) and the Mormon slaughter (doesn't look like they were killed by Bugs) were both false flags by the junta to manufacture war. The satire is sharper if the Bugs weren't even defending their territory, but were offered up as victims by a government that needs constant war to survive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Let's be honest, all visual effects guys in Hollywood are bitter as hell. It's always going to be one visionary accepting the award on behalf of hundreds of workers doing menial animations and working overtime. That's before you get into stuff like mocap performances, because you have to question whether the performer or the animators deserve credit for the award to begin with.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
True, but Tippet really takes it to another level. I don't think I've ever seen the guy crack a smile in the last 20 years, and his whole attitude during the few interviews he gives is ".... why am I talking to you god-drat plebs?" He's like an american Alan Moore.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Phil Tippet can take solace that one of his cousins is really good at X-Wing Miniatures.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The stuff he did for robocop 2 is still really cool.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hell yeah, the guy was one of the best in his day, and he's still doing enough to keep a small studio open, so more power to him. It's just kinda sad he was never able to really ramp up in the digital era and stay at the top of the game. And along with being a big grump publicly, he is supposed to be a giant rear end in a top hat to work with too, so that ain't helping.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The most shocking thing about starship troopers 2 isn't that Tippet directed it (it had really good visual effects for a DVD film, apart from the LED muzzle flashes), but that Ed Neumeier actually wrote that hunk of junk.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 13, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Arcsquad12 posted:

Let's be honest, all visual effects guys in Hollywood are bitter as hell. It's always going to be one visionary accepting the award on behalf of hundreds of workers doing menial animations and working overtime. That's before you get into stuff like mocap performances, because you have to question whether the performer or the animators deserve credit for the award to begin with.

Wasn't there a animation studio recently that was forced to close up shop after doing tonnes of unpaid overtime to finish a film per contract, and then the head animator brought this up while receiving an award at a show and was promptly yanked off stage?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

MikeCrotch posted:

Wasn't there a animation studio recently that was forced to close up shop after doing tonnes of unpaid overtime to finish a film per contract, and then the head animator brought this up while receiving an award at a show and was promptly yanked off stage?

Rhythm and Hues?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Saying "The book was better" for Starship Troopers is completely pointless by the way, they are apples and oranges, Verhoven didn't even finish reading the book.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

True, but Tippet really takes it to another level. I don't think I've ever seen the guy crack a smile in the last 20 years, and his whole attitude during the few interviews he gives is ".... why am I talking to you god-drat plebs?" He's like an american Alan Moore.

he looks like Freddie Williams Sr.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Ender's Game is the story of Space Hitler exterminating the gay menace.

Written by a pro-fascist super-Mormon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Josh's dad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Saying "The book was better" for Starship Troopers is completely pointless by the way, they are apples and oranges, Verhoven didn't even finish reading the book.

Didn't he only read like the first chapter of it?

I'm not sure how you could watch starship troopers and not get what it's trying to do and think it's pro fascist. I went into watching it only knowing it was a Verhoven film and based on a book and about five minutes in it was pretty clear that it was mocking the source material.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 13, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Ender's Game is the story of Space Hitler exterminating the gay menace.

Written by a pro-fascist super-Mormon.

ok I get space hitler but the gay menace was the shadow book where bean meets his creator who says he overcame his own gayness for the good of society. were the bugs from ender's game proper gay too I forget?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I never saw Rogue One but I bet Starship Troopers was the better war movie. When I first saw it I didn't realize it was a satire so I never really treated it like one. I liked the violence though. And the cartoon. Little kid me wasn't very discerning with political philosophies.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Starship Troopers works completely fine as just an action movie as well, you don't need to appreciate satire to have fun with it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zzulu posted:

Starship Troopers works completely fine as just an action movie as well, you don't need to appreciate satire to have fun with it

My favorite part of Starship Troopers is appreciating it as a dumb action movie when I was a dumb kid and then watching it again as an adult and appreciating it on a different level because it's good in a bunch of subtle ways a dumb teenager would never see. That's like getting two good movies from one!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

Two problems with this.

1. They shot an asteroid across the entire galaxy while seeming to lack any sort of space-based infrastructure. And, until Klendathu, the humans don't think the bugs were intelligent, just animals - so how did they knowingly send a rock to smash Earth?
2. Earth has a defense network that we see is very good at blowing up asteroids earlier in the film, and yet it failed to get this one.

No. The bug jizz blows up spaceships.

Apparently a Starship Troopers comic book or something explicitly states that it was a random asteroid.

1) They use worm holes to shorten the distance…i think. i think that's in the movie, right guys?

2) they built the defense belt after the buenos aires attack so that it couldn't happen again.

i love that rlm did a re:view of Starship Troopers, but i wish it was more coherent and better planned out. its a really good movie on many levels. best of all, its one of those movies that gets better with repeat viewings. there are so many little details and hints packed into the story. unpacking it all requires a couple watch-throughs, which is fine because the action is typically good enough to prevent boredom.

that first landing blew me away when i was young. the wholesale slaughter of an arrogant human army did an excellent job of raising the stakes and adding a tone of seriousness underneath the backdrop of the 90210 vibe.

great movie.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

1) They use worm holes to shorten the distance…i think. i think that's in the movie, right guys?

Brain Bugs can't melt the fabric of spacetime

Argentina was an inside job

BORN TO DIE

410,757,864,530 DEAD ROUGHNECKS

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BUG PLASMA CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS!

*whispered in ear*

"Oh? Oh it can? It can melt ANYTHING? Oh, nevermind then."

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

WampaLord posted:

BUG PLASMA CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS!

*whispered in ear*

"Oh? Oh it can? It can melt ANYTHING? Oh, nevermind then."

Yeah at the very least I saw it gently caress up a space ship in orbit. I don't get whoever was saying it's harmless glow dust that proves an inside job coverup.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Jake Busey's greatest role to date was Dennis on the groundbreaking and totally rad 90s sitcom Shasta McNasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Yj1r6Bz3M

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RaySmuckles posted:

2) they built the defense belt after the buenos aires attack so that it couldn't happen again.

The golden girls lady discusses how bugs launch their ships into orbit and use long term hibernation to reach and colonize other planets.

You can see the planetary defense cannons already in place around the moon when Carmen takes her shuttle ride to the Roger Young. They were built and ready before the first sign of the asteroid.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

My biggest problems with the film, with one being incredibly minor, is how the main guys' guns gets an upgrade during the last ten minutes of the film. Seriously, they chew through bugs like butter, in contrast to earlier where it took 5-10 people to down just a single one. My other pet peeve is how the blood Dizzy spews up looks like that gunk dentists use to find holes in children's teeth.

Otherwise, it's an obvious top three sci-fi contender.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Maybe the bugs on that planet had inferior material to birth warrior drones with?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

THE BAR posted:

My biggest problems with the film, with one being incredibly minor, is how the main guys' guns gets an upgrade during the last ten minutes of the film. Seriously, they chew through bugs like butter, in contrast to earlier where it took 5-10 people to down just a single one. My other pet peeve is how the blood Dizzy spews up looks like that gunk dentists use to find holes in children's teeth.

Otherwise, it's an obvious top three sci-fi contender.

They wanted to know more and learned where to shoot the bugs.

Duh.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 13, 2017

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I like starship troopers and appreciate it's mocking fascism but all the crazy conspiracy theories about the asteroid being planned by Earth is craaazy. The reason there's plot holes around it is because it's a movie and it doesn't need to make sense when it comes to travel times or how Earth could of missed it.

Unless you're going for the full the entire movie is actually a propoganda piece created by the evil space government and doesn't show you how events actually unfolded, but then you're in cinema discussion territory and just making poo poo up.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 13, 2017

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

mobby_6kl posted:

They wanted to know more and learned where to shoot the bugs.

Duh.

Maybe they just fight better indoors?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Carmen fought pretty well for someone who just got a talon through her shoulder.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

hemale in pain posted:

I like starship troopers and appreciate it's mocking fascism but all the crazy conspiracy theories about the asteroid being planned by Earth is craaazy. The reason there's plot holes around it is because it's a movie and it doesn't need to make sense when it comes to travel times or how Earth could of missed it.

Unless you're going for the full the entire movie is actually a propoganda piece created by the evil space government and doesn't show you how events actually unfolded, but then you're in cinema discussion territory and just making poo poo up.

Starship Truther actually makes sense and is vastly less retarded than anything posted in CD, so I'm sorry but you're very wrong.

Buenos Aires was an inside job.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Starship Truther actually makes sense and is vastly less retarded than anything posted in CD, so I'm sorry but you're very wrong.

Buenos Aires was an inside job.

The most I'd be willing to accept was it was a none-related incident that the government callously exploited to do what they wanted to do, anyway. Like 9/11.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Krinkle posted:

The most I'd be willing to accept was it was a none-related incident that the government callously exploited to do what they wanted to do, anyway. Like 9/11.

That's the way I see it. All the federation needs to do is blame the arachnids for a rogue asteroid as a casus belli to invade Klendathu. They could have easily intercepted the rock but they ignored it for Political gain

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

They're probably up to their armpits in movies, but it'd be nice to see RLM talk about TV.

Starship Truther

:golfclap:

If Starship Troopers were made in 2005 and not by Paul Verhoeven I wonder if it'd have been an overt part of the plot.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 13, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I hear they're making an unironic film version of the book. Great timing, am I right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Grevling posted:

I hear they're making an unironic film version of the book. Great timing, am I right?

It is stuck in development hell last I heard. There were talks about it back around 2011, but then the remakes of Total Recall and Robocop both sucked and didn't do as well as hoped and things sort of went quiet on the Starship Troopers reboot. There was a direct to dvd CGI anime film called Invasion, and it was garbage, however. Having Solid Snake Rico is not enough to make that movie good.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

It is stuck in development hell last I heard. There were talks about it back around 2011, but then the remakes of Total Recall and Robocop both sucked and didn't do as well as hoped and things sort of went quiet on the Starship Troopers reboot. There was a direct to dvd CGI anime film called Invasion, and it was garbage, however. Having Solid Snake Rico is not enough to make that movie good.

I'm hoping it never gets made. Not only would it likely suck, but also no films about militaristic utopias and faceless enemies in 2017 please.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Gotta save that for an election year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
RLM is spot-on on the excellent casting. Just dead-eyed smiling the whole time. It's such a loving creepshow. It's like the direction before every scene was "Smile like you just opened a birthday present you don't like, but you don't want to offend anyone."

Except maybe NPH. I feel like he's too in-on-it at the end of the movie. Or maybe it's the SS uniform that pushes things too far?

• Locked thread