Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

New episode of Archive 81 is up. I still have some reservations about the new direction they're going, but I am intrigued and will keep listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I don't know, it seems totally plausible that someone would use that as an online handle.

Except Nick exists in the real world, and treats this person like a friend and colligue. And fucks her.

And still refers to her through her dumbass, 12 year old live journal name. It's loving bananas.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If you ever put your dick into someone who you exclusively know as "meerkatnip" you have probably hosed up really, really badly in life.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Paul Zuvella posted:

If you ever put your dick into someone who you exclusively know as "meerkatnip" you have probably hosed up really, really badly in life.

Again, I haven't listened in a while, but my guess is that, in-universe, Nic knows MK's real name but doesn't use it on the podcast because she wants to remain anonymous.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Man, I don't remember Nick and MK hooking up at all.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Finished The Once And Future Nerd today. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. But did want to mention about how much I enjoyed the Nice Guy/MRA/Friend Zoned necromancer... It was brilliant and didn't overstay it's welcome.

Really glad the next book is coming out in the next month or two.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jurgan posted:

Again, I haven't listened in a while, but my guess is that, in-universe, Nic knows MK's real name but doesn't use it on the podcast because she wants to remain anonymous.

This is explicitly stated in an early episode.

Slamhound posted:

Man, I don't remember Nick and MK hooking up at all.

It's an assumption, though a reasonable one based on context.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Ornamented Death posted:

New episode of Archive 81 is up. I still have some reservations about the new direction they're going, but I am intrigued and will keep listening.

I'm in the same boat. I'll listen for a few more before deciding.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The last two episodes of Wolf 359 were... pretty drat crazy :stare:.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Christ, A New Winter is loving terrible.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Slamhound posted:

Yes but somehow it grew on me. I realize it's poo poo but I can't stop listening to it. I wonder if Archive 81 will go the same way.

Finished first season of Liberty and no idea what to think of that one. It's just some people's RPG game in podcast format right?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Hughlander posted:

Yes but somehow it grew on me. I realize it's poo poo but I can't stop listening to it. I wonder if Archive 81 will go the same way.

Yeah, I'm a heart beat away from dropping Archive 81. I was pretty certain the last episode was going to be my last until they got to the part with the archival tape of the radio show talking about the weird extra-dimensional radio station. If the show focuses more on those neat, one-off, "short stories" instead of whatever weird and bad exploration storyline they're pursuing then I might keep going with it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Slamhound posted:

A New Winter would be much better as a novel than a podcast. I like the story (it reminds me of Twin Peaks) but it really doesn't take advantage of the format. The narrator doesn't even try to differentiate the voices so I never know who's talking, and every episode ends with the music getting really loud and then shutting off before saying something dramatic.

Also, I think I'm the only one who likes the new season of Archive 81 better. The first season was just another "creepy found footage" series, but the idea of exploring an uncharted world full of eldritch abominations is really exciting. Also the mad scientist makes me laugh because he sounds exactly like Kevin from Welcome to Night Vale- I'm willing to bet that's an intentional choice by the actor.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Slamhound posted:

Oh gosh, yes. The first episode caught my interest despite the really poor sound quality but from there it just got too ridiculous for me. And I loved Twin Peaks.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Just released the last episode of Synesthesia Theatre's season 2, Cold Reboot. We've got a cast interview/behind the scenes episode and a one-off story or two, but there'll be a general hiatus while we fund-raise for season 3. Really going to try and write the next one with fewer than a dozen actors. Full-cast is a blast but scheduling a dozen people who all have day jobs over a few weekends is a beast.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

psychopomp posted:

Just released the last episode of Synesthesia Theatre's season 2, Cold Reboot. We've got a cast interview/behind the scenes episode and a one-off story or two, but there'll be a general hiatus while we fund-raise for season 3. Really going to try and write the next one with fewer than a dozen actors. Full-cast is a blast but scheduling a dozen people who all have day jobs over a few weekends is a beast.

Woah hey I just finished the first episode, sounds really good, gonna binge it now :)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jurgan posted:

A New Winter would be much better as a novel than a podcast. I like the story (it reminds me of Twin Peaks) but it really doesn't take advantage of the format. The narrator doesn't even try to differentiate the voices so I never know who's talking, and every episode ends with the music getting really loud and then shutting off before saying something dramatic.

Also, I think I'm the only one who likes the new season of Archive 81 better. The first season was just another "creepy found footage" series, but the idea of exploring an uncharted world full of eldritch abominations is really exciting. Also the mad scientist makes me laugh because he sounds exactly like Kevin from Welcome to Night Vale- I'm willing to bet that's an intentional choice by the actor.

They kind of call it out when Dan says he sounds familiar. The second episode definitely won me over, wasn't as impressed with the first. There's kind of a point to the tapes now. Though, I hope they avoid murdering a group of mercs every episode.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thank you Terms for playing the emergency broadcast sound with no warning.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Good news, everyone! The Box will be returning for 16 episodes! :buddy:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

So in order to stop one potential despot President Pierce installs his own despotism fuckin lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kraps posted:

So in order to stop one potential despot President Pierce installs his own despotism fuckin lol

I assume this is from that drama that sounded like lovely House of Cards/'WHAT I TOTALLY WOULDA DONE IF I WAS OBAMA' Sorkin style fanfic?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I assume this is from that drama that sounded like lovely House of Cards/'WHAT I TOTALLY WOULDA DONE IF I WAS OBAMA' Sorkin style fanfic?

Yeah. Well it was good till this episode.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kraps posted:

Yeah. Well it was good till this episode.

No but it's okay because they're gonna write a NEW constitution and release it on the 4th of July and it'll be totally rad and modern.

I heard that part and it made me loving terrified as to what a current day constitutional congress would write. I shudder to think what Ted Cruz or Nancy Pelosi would add to a constitution nowadays. If they're trying to write a horror story, they're doing a not bad job. I don't think they're trying to write a horror story, though.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

rotinaj posted:

No but it's okay because they're gonna write a NEW constitution and release it on the 4th of July and it'll be totally rad and modern.

I heard that part and it made me loving terrified as to what a current day constitutional congress would write. I shudder to think what Ted Cruz or Nancy Pelosi would add to a constitution nowadays. If they're trying to write a horror story, they're doing a not bad job. I don't think they're trying to write a horror story, though.

No, I do think Graham is going for a "he who fights monsters" idea, here. Pierce instituted a coup d'etat to try to prevent a dictatorship and in doing so created his own dictatorship. That's how a lot of tyrannies started. That's how the Roman Republic became an empire. That said, I thought early on they said the show was only going to be one season, so I wonder if this twist was drawn up at the last minute to keep it going.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't think that's fair. Graham swears he's been working on it for years, and the first episode dropped just a few days after the election, so there's no way it could have been in response to Trump's victory. Plus, Pierce is a Republican.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I started listening to The Box and while I like it, holy god do they need to do something about the volume levels in that loving thing. I'm fine when Addison is just talking, but when they do the phone conversations, the filters or whatever they're using for the person on the other end of the line are terrible and are probably going to end up making my ears bleed.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Some beautiful soul made a "concept map" for the Magnus Archives showing how all the various episodes link together.

Extremely helpful for keeping track of all the story threads and connections.

http://svgshare.com/i/fh.svg

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

theblackw0lf posted:

Some beautiful soul made a "concept map" for the Magnus Archives showing how all the various episodes link together.

Extremely helpful for keeping track of all the story threads and connections.

http://svgshare.com/i/fh.svg

This looks exactly like an insane person's basement whiteboard.

Good find though, thanks! There are some pretty clever minds behind TMA.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I look forward to Magnus more than any other podcast these days.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

Same. Is the only one I listen to on normal speed without dead space removal. Remember when it started people dropping it for the accent?

Also latest Archive 81 converted me on the new format.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Definitely true for me as well. When they launch their patreon I'll almost certainly sign up.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

New Leaf posted:

I really need to force myself through the early episodes. I've only listened to the first three and not much has happened. I would probably just drop it altogether but everyone here insists it'll get good later.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Jurgan posted:

I really need to force myself through the early episodes. I've only listened to the first three and not much has happened. I would probably just drop it altogether but everyone here insists it'll get good later.

I'm also in the early episodes. Lunatic mystery board aside, it seems like just a nice, quick little creepypasta I can enjoy when it's quiet at work.I actually kinda like that, and hope it doesn't get too much into an overarching plot.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm up to episode 11 or 12 of The Box and, while they seem to have fixed the issue I complained about regarding the volume levels/filters used during phone calls, my new complaint is that every woman, regardless of age, sounds like a bored 20-something. That's fine for Addison, who actually is a bored 20-something, but it's literally every single female character.

I know the folks producing this podcast (and most any other podcast) have to work with limited resources, including talent pools that are usually just their friends, but it's really off-putting how little effort seems to go into the voice acting for the female characters.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jurgan posted:

The first one that I thought was really great was Lost John's Cave, if you want to skip ahead a little.

I wish their site was better organized.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

I know the folks producing this podcast (and most any other podcast) have to work with limited resources, including talent pools that are usually just their friends, but it's really off-putting how little effort seems to go into the voice acting for the female characters.

When you hit the Cleveland episodes and beyond, be ready for them to say gently caress it and literally leave in bad line reads. As in, the actor badly reads a line, sighs and reads it again without any editing. Or another where they literally leave in the flubbed line, the actress laughing, warming up and trying again.

Genuinely couldn't believe how lazy they got with editing toward the end, which is why I'm shocked that they're coming back. It really felt like they ran out of steam.

Also, I'll second that Lost John's Cave is a really solid stand-alone episode of Magnus Archives. You can jump ahead to it without missing anything, if you're not feeling the early episodes.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Anyone still listening to Hello from the Magic Tavern? Out of nowhere, the show suddenly developed a serious plot in episode 100. I didn't think they'd ever actually leave on Usidore's quest. When they started counting down to it I kind of thought they'd beat The Dark Lord very easily and make a joke about how anti-climactic it was, like they did with the Lunar Sword. Instead, the surprisingly menacing Dark Lord appeared in person and drove the heroes out of their base, and now they're fugitives hiding in the wilderness. It's a weird direction for a comedy improv show to take, but it's at least got my interest.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

When you hit the Cleveland episodes and beyond, be ready for them to say gently caress it and literally leave in bad line reads. As in, the actor badly reads a line, sighs and reads it again without any editing. Or another where they literally leave in the flubbed line, the actress laughing, warming up and trying again.

Genuinely couldn't believe how lazy they got with editing toward the end, which is why I'm shocked that they're coming back. It really felt like they ran out of steam.

I finished the Cleveland episode earlier and only noticed one time where a line got repeated, and it sounded more like a hiccup in the audio file rather than a bad reading left in. Regardless, it should have been caught in editing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ornamented Death posted:

I finished the Cleveland episode earlier and only noticed one time where a line got repeated, and it sounded more like a hiccup in the audio file rather than a bad reading left in. Regardless, it should have been caught in editing.

To be fair the Cleveland episode does have a warning at the beginning that says something like she's editing from her car in lovely wifi so expect it to be rough so I assumed that was intentional.

But the black lives matter episode was tonally awful.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Jurgan posted:

Anyone still listening to Hello from the Magic Tavern? Out of nowhere, the show suddenly developed a serious plot in episode 100.

The plot was always there. The seriousness was... not? I say with trepidation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Inkspot posted:

The plot was always there. The seriousness was... not? I say with trepidation.

The plot was always there as a backdrop, but I assumed Usidore trying to gather a party for his quest would be a running gag and never actually amount to anything. I have a feeling that was the intention at first, so I was surprised they started taking it somewhat seriously.

• Locked thread