Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The correct way to play Crystal Chronicles is with five Gamecubes, four of which are fitted with GBA players :colbert:.

No joke last time we played it was a gamecube and 3gbas connected to a Wii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The correct way to play Crystal Chronicles is with five Gamecubes, four of which are fitted with GBA players :colbert:.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

One of these days I'll stop being cheap and buy two more GBAs and then I'll be able to play CC/FSA again.

Ya know, assuming I can find three friends.

The fact that nintendo hasn't made a working version of the original crystal chronicles for the wii u or something is a sin. The little moogle spraypaint mini-game was fun and I really liked the game's overall visual design. Shame the multiplayer was rear end to pull off.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Push El Burrito posted:

Bloodborne update: I am bad at Bloodborne.

That is what makes NG+ so sweet.

I mean it won't quite be this easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGOPl3i6q1Y

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Has anyone ever played a round of Four Sword Adventures that didn't devolve into everyone constantly dicking each other so they could get more force gems?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

scarycave posted:

Has anyone ever played a round of Four Sword Adventures that didn't devolve into everyone constantly dicking each other so they could get more force gems?

We've never finished level 1 because of That Guy

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Worlds of Final Fantasy I've just done the second intervention quest for the Warrior of Light. Loved the little unsubtitled lines that the Goblin Princess had in the background of their scene

Sara: "She was doing it for the right reasons. A reason as selfless and pure as my own..."
Princess Goblin: "No it's not..."
Sara: "So Warrior of Light, Sheathe your sword!"
Princess Goblin: "Yes please..."

:3:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Len posted:

It's really funny how games with co-op competition always get like that. I remember playing Dark Moon online, and I had the highest point total and I got stuck in a trap - guy comes in the room stands around for a bit then leaves to catch ghosts. :saddowns:
Also I lost count of how many times somebody died in Super Mario 3d world because they were making a beeline for the crown, or were thrown off a cliff/at a hazard because they were wearing the crown.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Len posted:

I think it was FSA where the last boss was a four player version of the typical zelda "hit the ball back at the boss until it dies" thing, right? I had to take one of the controls away from a friend who just couldn't get it. Like, he wasn't even loving around because he couldn't manage the timing in any normal zelda either somehow. So every time one of those parts would come up he would toss the controls to someone else and that person would have to dual wield.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, I've been deep diving into Nioh recently, and definitely been impressed by the combat system. Every weapon has a specific feel and role to it, and the game never punishes you for having the wrong two weapons. Everything feels viable. That being said, Kusarigama are far too good for this world as they make stun-locking enemies completely trivial.

Also, after one mission help a female samurai rescue her husband. You get a guardian spirit dog that, in the lore, is said to be stronger when it's paired with a mate. Then when you get the mission to fight her husband in a duel, one of your rewards is the other guardian dog, making the pair and improving the stats. And they are the cutest.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
In The Last of Us there's a section where you get separated from Ellie, falling down an elevator shaft into a hotel's flooded basement. Obviously, being a "zombie" game, you're going to fight some infected in a creepy area. What I dig more than anything is the buildup of tension in this section.

You start grabbing some items and moving your way out. Then you hear one of the infected screeching...but just one, and you can't really reach it before it disappears. Moving forward, the area starts filling up with spores and you have to put on your gas mask - always a sign that the newly infected are around, even if you can't see them. Then there's the zenith of the section, the calm before the storm: turning a corner and seeing a hallway lined with fungal walls and no infected. The zombies have been birthed, and they're somewhere, and the only way out is that hallway. It's a long enough hallway, and the walls are so thick with these empty pods, that you just have to sigh, gird yourself for some misery, and move forward.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but this subtle buildup of dread stands out in a game full of stand out moments. :shobon:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In World of Final Fantasy, I love the third key dungeon, the Train Graveyard. (Context to this visual - the world is separated into floating continents connected by waterfalls and train tracks, so some continents are above others)The characters make a big deal about how high you are getting, but despite the numbers of trains you are seeing as you climb them ever higher, for storeys you never really get context for how high you've come, until you get to the boss arena. Where the skybox is rippling. You have climbed so high you can literally see the underside of the ocean above you, which is a really cool idea. Despite being too long I love the sense of scale that the dungeon provides.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
I finished one playthrough of Dark Souls 3 and then started an another for the upcoming DLC. I like how the game is bookended by two locations on the opposite sides of the map. Lothric Castle and Anor Londo. You start in the castle, make your way down from there to ground level and below, then climb back up towards Anor Londo. And once in a while the game provides you with a nice vantage point that shows you where you came from and where you're going.

hirvox has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Feb 13, 2017

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

hirvox posted:

I finished one playthrough of *Dark Souls 3* and then started an another for the upcoming DLC. I like how the game is bookended by two locations on the opposite sides of the map. Lothric Castle and Anor Londo. You start in the castle, make your way down from there to ground level and below, then climb back up towards Anor Londo. And once in a while the game provides you with a nice vantage point that shows you where you came from and where you're going.

I loved just how many locations you can see from a distance and how they actually gave thought to their relative distances.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sad lions posted:

I loved just how many locations you can see from a distance and how they actually gave thought to their relative distances.

The other kinda neat thing is that each of the outdoor zones is associated with a particular time of day. The Highwall is a cloudy morning, Undead Settlement is midday, Road of Sacrifices is heading into the afternoon, Cathedral of the Deep is sunsetting and Farron Keep is going into the evening.

When you emerge into Irithyll it's a beautiful starlit sky. So it makes you feel like the entire journey has taken place over the course of a single crazy 'day', especially since NPCs tend to travel either to your 'timeless' home base or forwards with you as the game goes on.

Then when you finally reach Lothric Castle you know something's really messed up because the sky isn't back to normal, and that's not an eclipse... it's a hole in the sky that's leaking.
And not only that, but the sky isn't just different there - it's different in all the previous other areas, too, other than Irithyll.
(Archdragon Peak doesn't change either, but given that you somehow teleport there via meditating and falling unconscious, that place is wacky)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Then when you finally reach Lothric Castle you know something's really messed up because the sky isn't back to normal, and that's not an eclipse... it's a hole in the sky that's leaking.

It's not just a leaky hole It's a Dark Sign. The thing that all hollows have, the thing you can use in all three games. The very world is starting to hollow after being stuck in the endless cycle for so long. It's lost its purpose, it's beyond dead and the act of reigniting the flame is just forcing it to sustain a life that's been gone for a long time.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Feb 13, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda meta, but gently caress it:

One of the things that always winds up bugging me about Blizzard games is that the lingo for certain things becomes so impregnable that I have no idea what people are talking about.

However, I was looking at Icyveins for some information on a character I'm playing in HotS, and holy poo poo, every time the page mentions things like frontline/backline/soaking/scoobingthedoobing/etc, I can mouseover those terms and actually find out what they are talking about in normal English. It's incredibly helpful!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started playing the original Yakuza on PS2, and it's been pretty interesting so far. The combat is fluid although the character has issues with where he faces, but I've just learned that the R1 button locks on to avoid that, and I know how to dodge now due to the same guy. It's surprising how well it has aged, I was expecting early GTA levels of Jank.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Far Cry 3 is a profoundly funny game at times and I really wasn't expecting that at all so it's even better. Item descriptions, enemy banter, inter-mission dialog - it's all made me crack up a little at one time or another.

My favorite so far is when you rescue Liza, you drag her out of the burning building and towards a Jeep, and Liza finally gets to see your transformation from frat boy douchebag to mass-murdering psycho douchebag firsthand.

Jason: Come on, get in! No, you drive!
Liza: Wait, you want me to drive? Oh god, they're shooting at us! Holy gently caress, Jason, you're shooting at them!
Jason: Jesus Liza can you quit jerking the wheel? You're making me miss here!
Liza: WHY ARE THEY SHOOTING AT US, JASON?!
Jason: HAHA! Eat that, you motherfuckerrrrrrrsss!!!!

Just the delivery of the lines is so perfect - Liza is terrified for her life and utterly confused, and Jason is Rambo with a huge testosterone imbalance getting annoyed with his girlfriend's lovely driving while he gets his murderin' on.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

food court bailiff posted:

Far Cry 3 is a profoundly funny game at times and I really wasn't expecting that at all so it's even better. Item descriptions, enemy banter, inter-mission dialog - it's all made me crack up a little at one time or another.

My favorite so far is when you rescue Liza, you drag her out of the burning building and towards a Jeep, and Liza finally gets to see your transformation from frat boy douchebag to mass-murdering psycho douchebag firsthand.

Liza: Wait, you want me to drive? Oh god, they're shooting at us! Holy gently caress, Jason, you're shooting at them!

Just the delivery of the lines is so perfect - Liza is terrified for her life and utterly confused, and Jason is Rambo with a huge testosterone imbalance getting annoyed with his girlfriend's lovely driving while he gets his murderin' on.

After a tear filled reunion between your freshly dead brothers girlfriend and Liza you can immediately trundle on over to a big bowl of drugs and chow down. Go on a wild trip and wake up next to said weepy girls to resume your archipelagoes purge.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

food court bailiff posted:

The mook dialogue is the best.

"Killed by Snow White... ain't dat a bitch" makes me laugh every time, especially because it's one of those super long lines that eventually is getting spat out by a completely ragdolled corpse.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm currently in the middle of the first ending of Worlds of Final Fantasy, and I quite like the idea of using the Nameless Girl's room to solve everyone's problems using the time travel/sidequest system, although I wasn't a fan of the Figaro minigame. I got one of the Cogna dead, then the next one killed everyone but Vivi before I could find it and I just skipped it. I like the concept though.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm replaying a little bit of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright to get a save point right before an amazing puzzle, but i just noticed something I don't think I ever paid attention to before.

When dialogue is unvoiced, there are little sounds that play to indicate that someone's talking. When Layton/Luke is talking, a different sound plays than when Phoenix/Maya is talking. I'm going to check some other characters, but I think that characters who are designed more in line with one series will use the 'talking' progress sound of that series.

The puzzle in question is basically the coolest thing. It's a TURNABOUT PUZZLE. You attempt to go about the puzzle in the typical Layton way, but nothing works. Ace Attorney mechanics kick in, and then the puzzle solving gets changed up! I loved that.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hirvox posted:

I finished one playthrough of Dark Souls 3 and then started an another for the upcoming DLC. I like how the game is bookended by two locations on the opposite sides of the map. Lothric Castle and Anor Londo. You start in the castle, make your way down from there to ground level and below, then climb back up towards Anor Londo. And once in a while the game provides you with a nice vantage point that shows you where you came from and where you're going.

I'm pretty sure you can see almost every single location in the game( except the Profaned Capitol and Archdragon Peak) from the Giant archer's tower. You can also see Archdragon Peak from Anor Londo.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's not even out yet, but in Neir: Automata when you go fishing 2B generates a holographic stool to sit on.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

a kitten posted:

It's not even out yet, but in Neir: Automata when you go fishing 2B generates a holographic stool to sit on.

It won't be the same without Weiss scaring away the fish. :smith:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

scarycave posted:

It won't be the same without Weiss scaring away the fish. :smith:

:negative: Nothing will be the same without Weiss.

Honestly I'm surprised at how popular Automata has become already, I see fan art of it everywhere now. So few people it seems had even heard of Nier before and now everyone's psyched for the sequel. I hope they hurry up with the PC release and give the original a PC port too. Apparently the special edition of the PS4 version has a PS4 port of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Honestly I'm surprised at how popular Automata has become already, I see fan art of it everywhere now. So few people it seems had even heard of Nier before and now everyone's psyched for the sequel. I hope they hurry up with the PC release and give the original a PC port too. Apparently the special edition of the PS4 version has a PS4 port of it.

Wait what?! gently caress!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Wait what?! gently caress!

I don't understand that part. The PS4 version has a PS4 port?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I don't understand that part. The PS4 version has a PS4 port?

a port of the original nier i think

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Stardew Valley is almost entirely comprised of little touches. My favorite little thing is that after getting married there is a "hug your spouse" button :3:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Another release of Nier? Now we can all do "Life in the sands" a second time! :suicide:
I'm joking - it's the only quest I could not bring myself to finish.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Brother Entropy posted:

goddamn, stop giving me reasons to buy a new console.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I'm pretty sure you can see almost every single location in the game( except the Profaned Capitol and Archdragon Peak) from the Giant archer's tower. You can also see Archdragon Peak from Anor Londo.

Even before that, from the vista after Bordt before dropping to the undead village you can see everything (that's above ground). Anor Londo is shrouded by clouds but you can get glimpses of it. I'm pretty sure you can see the mountain Archdragon is on too but not the ruins themselves but I'm not 100% on that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

goddamn, stop giving me reasons to buy a new console.

trust me i know the feeling :smith:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing the original Yakuza on PS2, and it's been pretty interesting so far. The combat is fluid although the character has issues with where he faces, but I've just learned that the R1 button locks on to avoid that, and I know how to dodge now due to the same guy. It's surprising how well it has aged, I was expecting early GTA levels of Jank.

The combat in the original game is pretty janky at times even when you know what you're doing. Also boss fights are annoying as poo poo so don't feel bad about cheesing them with weapons, especially the ones near the end of the game where hopefully you have found and put on the bulletproof vest because you will loving need it.

That said the story is great and the combat only gets better as the series goes on, Yakuza 0 is probably the smoothest out of all of them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

It's part of the like two hundred dollar super special edition that's on back order and poo poo though. I'm hoping they have a similar bundle for the steam release if that ever shows up in the store. I mean, minus the physical poo poo I don't care about. I want that nier port.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

2 reasons for Automatas popularity.

Platinum handling gameplay duties.

2B is pure waifu bait.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

It's Revengeance 2 in all but name for me. Also from seeing gameplay it looks like they've finally created a character action game with some decent third person shooting.

I was watching a Nier LP to prep for the game but it fell through, so if there's gonna be a PS4 port of the first game I'm definitely getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

2 reasons for Automatas popularity.

Platinum handling gameplay duties.

2B is pure waifu bait.

Pretty much, yeah. 99% of the fan art is of her butt.

But hey, it might get more people to go back and play the first Nier if they didn't before.

Action Tortoise posted:

I was watching a Nier LP to prep for the game but it fell through, so if there's gonna be a PS4 port of the first game I'm definitely getting it.

Dark Id did an LP of it as well and it's pretty good like the rest of his Drakengard stuff. I was sold on buying the game before the first update even finished, but that was mostly the work of the soundtrack he linked.