Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Not saying that perception is accurate, but that's how a lot of people in the hockey world think.

I don't get this at all. Burns essentially plays as a forward and gets most of his points off the rush. He's not a two-way guy. Hell, he was a forward until he was 19 and has played several seasons as a right winger including a couple years ago with the Sharks.

I don't see how he's any different from Karlsson. A talented offensive defenceman no doubt, but Karlsson put up basically identical totals (82pts in 82 games last year compared to Burns' 59 in 57 so far) and didn't even win the Norris. What is Burns doing differently that makes him not only a run away Norris winner, but also a Hart trophy candidate this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's playing in the less visible conference so a lot of the voters only see point totals and "Defense" and don't actually know.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

He's also Canadian and therefore he plays defense, unlike those floaty Euros.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I don't get this at all. Burns essentially plays as a forward and gets most of his points off the rush. He's not a two-way guy. Hell, he was a forward until he was 19 and has played several seasons as a right winger including a couple years ago with the Sharks.

I don't see how he's any different from Karlsson. A talented offensive defenceman no doubt, but Karlsson put up basically identical totals (82pts in 82 games last year compared to Burns' 59 in 57 so far) and didn't even win the Norris. What is Burns doing differently that makes him not only a run away Norris winner, but also a Hart trophy candidate this year?

They probably both deserved consideration tbh. It was harder for Karlsson because Kane had such an outrageous year. Burns is a lot closer to winning the Ross than Karlsson even though comparatively their seasons are similar.

What Karlsson did last year may have even been more impressive considering he logged almost 29 minutes a night.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

They probably both deserved consideration tbh. It was harder for Karlsson because Kane had such an outrageous year. Burns is a lot closer to winning the Ross than Karlsson even though comparatively their seasons are similar.

What Karlsson did last year may have even been more impressive considering he logged almost 29 minutes a night.

Yeah, Karlsson was as good or better and apparently that didn't even warrant serious Norris consideration. Karlsson finished 9th in Hart trophy voting last year for arguably as good a season. Burns is not doing anything especially unusual or outlandish, and even considering him for the Hart trophy would be pretty much unprecedented post-lockout. No defenceman has been a Hart trophy finalist since before the cancelled season, and no one has finished above 8th since Lidstrom was 4th in 07/08.

If Burns was on pace to smash records or something then fine, but he's essentially at the same level as several other players in the last few years. Give him the Norris, he deserves it no question. I have no idea how he's the guy who's apparently going to buck the trend and be the first Hart trophy winning defenceman since Pronger 17 years ago.

e: to be clear, the Hart trophy has been awarded to two defencemen since Hitler died. Bobby Orr (3 times) and Pronger. I just don't feel like Brent Burns should be added to that list.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 13, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I just heard real professional NHL talk radio people speculating that players have quit on Therrien and a change seems necessary if not imminent.

:siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop:

:siren::snoop::siren::snoop:

It'll be real demoralizing when he sends Carey to the Stars for speaking out against the god-emperor Therrien's efforts.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

bub spank posted:

Burns definitely deserves the Norris this year, but it's interesting to see the unanimous hype for Burns given the intense debate over the award last year. On the same date last year, Karlsson had 62 points in 56 games (3rd in NHL scoring), led his team in scoring by 17 points, and led the next-highest scorer on defense (Burns) by 16 points. This year, Burns has 59 points in 57 games (4th in NHL scoring), is leading his team in scoring by 11 points, and leads the next-highest scorer on defense (Karlsson) by 14 points. Aside from the goals and overall team strength, not all that much difference - but the Norris front runner all last season was Doughty, whereas there hasn't been much talk of anyone but Burns winning it this year.
Doughty became the Norris frontrunner when it became clear that Ottawa wasn't a playoff team, but not any time before that. I'd say most of the year Karlsson was ahead whenever there were Norris articles, right until near the end of the year. Karlsson wins Norris near unanimously and gets a Hart nomination if Ottawa is a playoff team instead of pretty out of the picture.

As for the Hart, there's also no Kane blowing away everyone else. Currently McDavid is in the league lead but is under 90 point pace, so they won't necessarily default to forward, especially if Burns is basically right there. And if Burns falls off the pace or the Sharks go on a big losing streak than we'll hear rumblings about the Norris.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

As for the Hart, there's also no Kane blowing away everyone else. Currently McDavid is in the league lead but is under 90 point pace, so they won't necessarily default to forward, especially if Burns is basically right there. And if Burns falls off the pace or the Sharks go on a big losing streak than we'll hear rumblings about the Norris.

Crosby has a 1.25ppg (103 point pace over 82) and should be the slam dunk winner.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Crosby has a 1.25ppg (103 point pace over 82) and should be the slam dunk winner.
If he misses a few more games or his pace drops off a bit than he ceases to be a slam dunk winner. The voters historically have cared far less about pace than actual season end totals.

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, Karlsson was as good or better and apparently that didn't even warrant serious Norris consideration. Karlsson finished 9th in Hart trophy voting last year for arguably as good a season. Burns is not doing anything especially unusual or outlandish, and even considering him for the Hart trophy would be pretty much unprecedented post-lockout. No defenceman has been a Hart trophy finalist since before the cancelled season, and no one has finished above 8th since Lidstrom was 4th in 07/08.

If Burns was on pace to smash records or something then fine, but he's essentially at the same level as several other players in the last few years. Give him the Norris, he deserves it no question. I have no idea how he's the guy who's apparently going to buck the trend and be the first Hart trophy winning defenceman since Pronger 17 years ago.

e: to be clear, the Hart trophy has been awarded to two defencemen since Hitler died. Bobby Orr (3 times) and Pronger. I just don't feel like Brent Burns should be added to that list.
I absolutely think that making the playoffs is a big part of it. I mean, for the purposes of Norris consideration, Karlsson won the previous year with 66 points when Doughty had the same season with no playoffs. There's never been a Norris winner who didn't make the playoffs, and they didn't get nominated for several decades before the last 3 years.

At some point you'd hope they'd consider more defensemen for the Hart. Lidstrom never getting nominated was absolutely ridiculous, particularly in 07/08, In the case of Burns we're talking about him being nominated over guys that he's currently ahead of or a point/2 behind, and conceivably could be ahead of by the end of the season. It's not that uncommon for the voters to just go right down the scoring list anyways.

We're also not going to see any records smashed by defensemen for the same reason we won't see any smashed by forwards.

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 13, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I would actually not be opposed to Sweeney trading for Landeskog or Duchene but I don't think he's savvy enough to pull of an even, much less a favorable, trade. It sounds like the ask is still Carlo, a good prospect, and an early-rounds pick, and I'm not into that even considering Boston's depth with RHD both on the team and in the pipeline. Colin Miller, Krejci, or Spooner and a prospect+pick I could live with, but those don't seem like enough to interest Colorado and/or address their actual needs.

Realistically Boston should be sellers. They have their break, and then a tough west coast trip, and everyone has games in hand on them. Odds are pretty good that the Bruins could find themselves out of the hunt by early March if things don't go their way. But management is dumb so instead we're probably going to trade for one of the aforementioned Avalanche players.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I'd pick Jeff Carter as MVP at this point based on the argument "which NHL playoff team probably would not make the playoffs without this player on their roster". 21% of the Kings goals. Kopitar has been awful and they would suck without him.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I just heard real professional NHL talk radio people speculating that players have quit on Therrien and a change seems necessary if not imminent.

:siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop::siren::snoop:

:siren::snoop::siren::snoop:

Inshallah

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Duckman2008 posted:

Visiting Nashville, glad I picked tonight's game to go to and not the 7-4 loss from yesterday. Preds looked mostly ok, but man did the Stars just tank in the final period.

Bridgestone arena was always nice, but they really made it a lot shinier since I was last there (4-5 years ago).

I went to both and can confirm, Sunday was way more fun.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Martytoof posted:

It'll be real demoralizing when he sends Carey to the Stars for speaking out against the god-emperor Therrien's efforts.

Ain't it great that Therrien's gonna get fired after Bergevin traded away a legitimate star player and a fan favourite to appease him?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yeah it's great. I wonder if he'll fire him before or after Price publicly requests a trade.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

grack posted:

Ain't it great that Therrien's gonna get fired after Bergevin traded away a legitimate star player and a fan favourite to appease him?
Bergevin hated him too, and legitimately prefers Weber.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've made my peace with the Subban debacle, and I legitimately am happy we have Weber so I'm not even going to go down that route.

Aside from potential, the only thing I was pretty confident about with PK was that he would be a Hab for a long long time (given his choice). Weber I can see loving off back to Nashville or testing the market. At least that's the impression that I get. I'm sure I could be wrong and Subban could have chased a paycheck too, but he seemed to legitimately love Montreal.

Wait now I'm angry again. Great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even though he's even or worse in every way, now including points?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, but you got Shaw too.

Even the Chicago blaggers are talking about him with a "phew glad we offloaded that" tone. :v:

http://blackhawkup.com/2017/02/13/blackhawks-got-the-most-out-of-andrew-shaw/

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Subban never sidelined Gallagher for 2 months.

Then again, I'd be more on board if he wasn't saddled with Emelin on EV and PK.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I've made my peace with the Subban debacle, and I legitimately am happy we have Weber so I'm not even going to go down that route.

Aside from potential, the only thing I was pretty confident about with PK was that he would be a Hab for a long long time (given his choice). Weber I can see loving off back to Nashville or testing the market. At least that's the impression that I get. I'm sure I could be wrong and Subban could have chased a paycheck too, but he seemed to legitimately love Montreal.

Weber's contract runs until he's 40.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Martytoof posted:

Uh, considering for how long and for how much both guys are signed for I don't think worrying about whether they would re-up with Montreal should have been a concern in any way?

I mean Weber is 31 and signed through the 2025-2026 season I think you probably want him loving back off to Nashville if he's still determined to play at that point!

AND PK already chased the money when he got Montreal to sign him to the biggest cap hit for a defenseman in the NHL and second richest contract for a defenseman in the NHL (the first being, of course, Shea Weber).

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 13, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

AND PK already chased the money when he got Montreal to sign him to the biggest cap hit for a defenseman in the NHL and second richest contract for a defenseman in the NHL (the first being, of course, Shea Weber).

I still love that Goldblum playing hardball with Subban and insisting he sign a bridge deal back in 2012 cost Geoff Molson and co. in the neighbourhood of $30-40M of extra cash over the following decade. Subban asked for 5 years at $5M per or 6 years at $6M per then, but Goldblum got all tough and ornery and refused to sign him long term and now they're saddled with Shea Weber and an angry fanbase until several seasons after the heat death of the universe.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The CBA expires after the 2011-22 season, and both the Habs and Preds are going to get out of the recapture on Weber's contract.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

The CBA expires after the 2011-22 season, and both the Habs and Preds are going to get out of the recapture on Weber's contract.

Not while Brian Burke draws breath

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

IMO that would be a good compromise for closing the Pronger-style LTIR loophole, since that will probably be where most of those recapture contract players are in 2022.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Burke advocated for the rule both out of fairness and self-redemption, but in this case, neither team really bargained for what they got. The offer sheet itself was intended to circumvent the rules, but it wasn't made by either team. It'll be like the league cutting the Devils new ownership some slack on the Kovalchuk fine.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Burke advocated for the rule both out of fairness and self-redemption, but in this case, neither team really bargained for what they got. The offer sheet itself was intended to circumvent the rules, but it wasn't made by either team. It'll be like the league cutting the Devils new ownership some slack on the Kovalchuk fine.

Yeah, but if they let one slide, they have to let all of them slide and then that means the Canucks are free of Luongo's penalty and Brian Burke made it a personal crusade to ensure that never happens.

Also the CBA technically expires in 2022, but the NHL and NHLPA both have an option to opt out shortly before the 2019 season begins, so expect one of the two to announce their intention to do so just over two years from now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Yeah that was Paul Holmgren basically forcing Nashville's hand.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I think both the players and owners probably feel kind of lovely for a guy like Luongo being publicly dicked around for years, and we know all the GMs hated Homer for that. Not sure what other contracts might be affected by this.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

I think both the players and owners probably feel kind of lovely for a guy like Luongo being publicly dicked around for years, and we know all the GMs hated Homer for that. Not sure what other contracts might be affected by this.

Anything over 8 years, so a bunch including:

Sidney Crosby
Shea Weber
Roberto Luongo
Zach Parise
Ryan Suter
Marian Hossa
Duncan Keith
Jonathan Quick
Jeff Carter

and a bunch of others who have already moved on including:

Ilya Bryzgalov
Brad Richards
Vinny Lecavalier
Mike Richards
Christian Ehrhoff
Johan Franzen

You'd have to get a majority of owners to let a handful of teams out of some very dubious contracts that benefited them cap wise while escalating salaries across the league. So yeah, they're here to stay.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 13, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

That would require the owners to feel anything.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Anything over 8 years, so a bunch including:

Sidney Crosby
Shea Weber
Roberto Luongo
Zach Parise
Ryan Suter
Marian Hossa
Duncan Keith
Jonathan Quick
Jeff Carter

and a bunch of others who have already moved on including:

Ilya Bryzgalov
Brad Richards
Vinny Lecavalier
Mike Richards
Christian Ehrhoff
Johan Franzen

You'd have to get a majority of owners to let a handful of teams out of some very dubious contracts that benefited them cap wise while escalating salaries across the league. So yeah, they're here to stay.

Also Zetterberg and Kronwall. And I think Franzen is still on the books, just perma-IR. Zetterberg has a pretty steep recapture if he retires early at all, at this point.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

That would require the owners to feel anything.

I thought Dolan feels nothing but hatred and smug towards uppity black folk^W^W^W Charles Oakley.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

I thought Dolan feels nothing but hatred and smug towards uppity black folk^W^W^W Charles Oakley.

Well, lemme rephrase that - it would require the owners to feel empathy and I just don't know if that's possible.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Thufir posted:

Also Zetterberg and Kronwall. And I think Franzen is still on the books, just perma-IR. Zetterberg has a pretty steep recapture if he retires early at all, at this point.

loving Fire Ken Holland

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have a hard time imagining what mess the Flyers would be with contracts right now if Holmgren were still GM and damned if the Wings aren't giving some almost perfect insight into what could have been.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It's a real palantir to a tower of garbage

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

gently caress alex burrows for ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

Well, lemme rephrase that - it would require the owners to feel empathy and I just don't know if that's possible.

Let me think of an owner-

Nope. Can't.

Ok, /maybe/ Mark Cuban and whoever owns the Warriors. But I can't think of any others.

• Locked thread