Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I was smart as hell at 23. Very smart. So smart you wouldn't believe it.
The smartest! YUGE brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mirthless posted:

that time I got called an ableist for getting offended at somebody invading their partner's therapy while snooping in their private possessions

Here is the only time he mentions the word therapy in the post

quote:

I know shes a writer. I know people sometimes write to get out frustrations or as their own therapy, in the same way people go to the gym and punch a punching bag. But I am honestly shocked and a bit disturbed by the things she wrote. She cut off the tongue of a friend because she stuck it out in a picture with me. She made another girl swallow a pint of liquid chilis because she had cooked me (and her boyfriend btw) a chili chicken dinner once when Sarah was out of town.

That's it, the rest is you just jumping to conclusions and then losing your poo poo over ableism. Do you work at a movie theater? Cause your projection is on point.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pick posted:

No it isn't. And any standard for what constitutes a defect is subjective. Unless it means killing all the white people because they get sunburned due to not making enough melanin, which I guess is fine

Preventing extra chromosomes from loving up your kid or keeping Siouxie from being born with a hole in her dear little heart and poo poo is fine. I wouldn't trust even a well-intentioned program like that though, because, "well, sickle cell anemia is a thing..."

Eugenics is a word with no agreed upon definition and is loaded as gently caress, which makes it fun to use. Preventative genetic therapy sounds less spooky, I guess.

I think we're on the same side here.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm still not over Infertile Myrtle.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The problem is trying to 'breed' all that stuff out, which is what eugenics is about.

If we can just fix in en vitro then sure no problem but that's not eugenics really. It'd be eugenics if your baby was then aborted by the state which also then went 'since you have this gene, no kids for you.'

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

The problem is trying to 'breed' all that stuff out, which is what eugenics is about.

That is merely one method of eugenics. Genetic manipulation and the like is also lumped under the term. There's probably a scholarly journal slapfight happening about it right now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ah well in that case it is a loaded as gently caress word for sure and let's just use 'preventative gene therapy.'

Imo it's unethical to let people get born with genetic defect stuff like a hole in their heart if we have the means to prevent it (the defect, not the birth). GF's family member died of that at a super young age.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 13, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Ah well in that case it is a loaded as gently caress word for sure and let's just use 'preventative gene therapy.'

I use eugenics precisely because it makes one wary of genetic tinkering. If you're in there for prevention of leukemia, might as well downsize that giant Jew nose, eh?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

I use eugenics precisely because it makes one wary of genetic tinkering. If you're in there for prevention of leukemia, might as well downsize that giant Jew nose, eh?

You could make the argument that as long as it is the parents deciding that for their own kids without outside involvement/interference, then there is no real issue with such modification. Maybe there could be a law against cosmetic modification of genes but at the same time I feel like a lot of people are going to want to be able to pick what eye color and whatever their kids have.

e: And then the rich will be beautiful and smart and live for 200 years and everyone else will just be regular human and we'll have 1000 years of corporatist dystopia!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i demand my daughter be born with the fat titties gene

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

You could make the argument that as long as it is the parents deciding that for their own kids without outside involvement/interference, then there is no real issue with such modification. Maybe there could be a law against cosmetic modification of genes but at the same time I feel like a lot of people are going to want to be able to pick what eye color and whatever their kids have.

That's great, but it won't stop a government agenda to sterilize your undesirable children.

The US was still sterilizing Native Americans on the sly until the 1980s.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterilization_of_Native_American_women

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

because 155 at 5'4 is around normal weight to slightly curvy at most body types. gently caress that guy and gently caress him hard.
I know this is several pages ago because of a mirth derail but lol this is fat fat and we should be ashamed as a country to be calling it normal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Yawgmoth posted:

The smartest! YUGE brain.
It's shameful that this is how this reads when I'm actually referring to the 1976 film "Marathon Man", which I haven't seen, only quoted.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
As with all debates about this and similar concepts this is gonna boil down to "the tech could be used for some great stuff but it turns out humans brings are inherently awful and lovely so welp"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

That's great, but it won't stop a government agenda to sterilize your undesirable children.

The US was still sterilizing Native Americans on the sly until the 1980s.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterilization_of_Native_American_women

There are people who illegally perform procedures on patients without their consent and therefore we shouldn't advance medical science and possibilities? It's not like you can't get your tubes tied today because that all happened.

I mean you're right it's def concerning and people should watch out for it but I don't think it'll stop people wanting to pick out their kids' features in 30-50 years or whatever.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 13, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

That was my last post on the subject.

Hotdogs. I don't think they are sandwiches as they deviate far too radically from the original concept of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

I know this is several pages ago because of a mirth derail but lol this is fat fat and we should be ashamed as a country to be calling it normal.

155 lbs at 5'4" is slightly overweight at worst and possibly normal weight depending on her build. She's barely above 50th percentile weight. Just slightly chubby. You are an idiot and worse than her dipshit boyfriend.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had a hotdog that was wrapped in bacon the other day and I was super apprehensive about it because it has always seemed gimmicky to me but I gotta say the dude grilled that poo poo and the bacon was crispy as hell while the dog was moist and tender and then he put some onions and jalepenos on it and it was just da best.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Moridin920 posted:

I had a hotdog that was wrapped in bacon the other day and I was super apprehensive about it because it has always seemed gimmicky to me but I gotta say the dude grilled that poo poo and the bacon was crispy as hell while the dog was moist and tender and then he put some onions and jalepenos on it and it was just da best.

This sounds like a hella good dog, and I'm sad now that I'm stuck in the rear end end of an airport and all there is to eat is chips

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

That was my last post on the subject.

Hotdogs. I don't think they are sandwiches as they deviate far too radically from the original concept of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich.

In the state of New York, home of crappy hotdogs, they are legally sandwiches. Sorry Earl of Sandwich, take it up with the Governors office.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Moridin920 posted:

Wanna peep dat hot dog

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

I really want a good rear end hot dog right now.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

155 lbs at 5'4" is slightly overweight at worst and possibly normal weight depending on her build. She's barely above 50th percentile weight. Just slightly chubby. You are an idiot and worse than her dipshit boyfriend.

It's the same bmi as me and I'm deffo fat and in the process of losing weight, I wanna drop at least 20 more pounds. We gotta slow our rolls, just cause we're like average americans doesn't mean we're not fat.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Buncha people freaking out about that therapy journal. If she was a 13th century Italian poet, you'd all be singing a different tune.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

That's overweight, and just, just barely - like, 5 to 10 pounds. If a doctor wouldn't recommend a diet, she's not fat.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

That's overweight, and just, just barely - like, 5 to 10 pounds. If a doctor wouldn't recommend a diet, she's not fat.
She could literally lose 40 pounds and be in the normal weight category. Like trust me I'm that bmi I know what it looks like and I need to lose weight.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

ArbitraryC posted:

It's the same bmi as me and I'm deffo fat and in the process of losing weight, I wanna drop at least 20 more pounds. We gotta slow our rolls, just cause we're like average americans doesn't mean we're not fat.

Say it with me! "Waist to hip!"
BMI isn't all that useful on an individual basis, doesn't mean it can't be a decent indicator but there's plenty of people I've met that'd probably fall into the overweight or obese category that don't look either of the two. Mostly women in my experiences.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

She could literally lose 40 pounds and be in the normal weight category. Like trust me I'm that bmi I know what it looks like and I need to lose weight.

...I don't need to trust you. I am going off information provided by people much more qualified to make that judgement call. Your eyeballs (and uneducated opinion) cannot accurately determine whether or not somebody is fat with accuracy.

Sure, she could lose weight and still be at a healthy weight, but if she doesn't want to, she shouldn't have to, and it's unreasonable to expect somebody to lose weight - or call them fat - when they are at a healthy weight, or within a spitting distance of it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

You do realize that being in the lower end of the normal weight category isn't any healthier than being in the upper end of the category, right?

People have different body types, it's a wide category for a reason.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Say it with me! "Waist to hip!"
BMI isn't all that useful on an individual basis, doesn't mean it can't be a decent indicator but there's plenty of people I've met that'd probably fall into the overweight or obese category that don't look either of the two. Mostly women in my experiences.

I'm told I carry it well (I'm also really tall where the numbers don't work as well) but like I know I got a doughy belly there aint no lying about it. Really the only people I hear goin on about how bmi is just for averages and such and doesn't apply to individuals are themselves fatties.

Andrast posted:

You do realize that being in the lower end of the normal weight category isn't any healthier than being in the upper end of the category, right?

People have different body types, it's a wide category for a reason.

She's in the "overweight" category which is considered a "moderate health risk". Would need to lose 10 pounds at least to be at the "upper end of normal".

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

155 is fat for 5'4". The average for america is obese, don't use that for anything.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

She's in the "overweight" category which is considered a "moderate health risk". Would need to lose 10 pounds at least to be at the "upper end of normal".

And like other people have said, 10 isn't exactly a massive amount

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

155 is fat for 5'4". The average for america is obese, don't use that for anything.

That's not the average. That's "normal weight".

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm told I carry it well (I'm also really tall where the numbers don't work as well) but like I know I got a doughy belly there aint no lying about it. Really the only people I hear goin on about how bmi is just for averages and such and doesn't apply to individuals are themselves fatties.

that's exactly what you're doing, though...?

She's at the beginning of a category that spans about 40 pounds and she's only 8 pounds overweight in most of the BMI calculators I could find. It's not even ten pounds. A little overweight, not fat. You can gain and lose ten pounds on vacation.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 13, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I miss the Fat Thread

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Andrast posted:

And like other people have said, 10 isn't exactly a massive amount

And keep in mind that's just the upper end of "your weight probably isn't causing health problems", it doesn't mean that you're not doughy and frumpy lookin.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

post ur pics if you're gonna do fatchat

LethalGeek posted:

I miss the Fat Thread

wishes do come true, apparently

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

That's not the average. That's "normal weight".

It's not tho it's clinically overweight.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I could stand to lose 15 lbs or so but goddamnit I just like eating and while it is easy to maintain my current weight I gotta cut my calories by like 400 to really start losing it and that's my morning red bull + nutbar ffs.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

And keep in mind that's just the upper end of "your weight probably isn't causing health problems", it doesn't mean that you're not doughy and frumpy lookin.

No, that's the lower end of that. The upper end is like 170 pounds you retard. There is no way she has high blood pressure from her weight at 155.

Jesus christ. 8 pounds overweight is the upper end of overweight, now? 155lbs, she's a corpulent hambeast. Jabba the Hutt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

No, that's the lower end of that. The upper end is like 170 pounds you retard. There is no way she has high blood pressure from her weight at 155.

You are factually wrong, a bmi of 25 for a 5'4 person (the upper end of "normal") is 145 (and some change).