Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
He was blown out an airlock by CBS for his crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gonz posted:

He was blown out an airlock by CBS for his crimes.

Goddamn, Bakula is ruthless.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wait, this just hit me. Grizzelas? Were they supposed to be a planet of bear-people?

...I love it.

Courtesy of http://star-trek-microheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Aliens

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hahaha.

In Stargate one of the big important races of ancient advanced aliens was called the Furlings. Nobody ever found one or saw a picture of what they looked like so the characters just kind of came to the conclusion that they were Ewoks.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Is this Hyperriker's first officer?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hahaha he's just some idiot who saw Star Trek aliens and assumed "Klingons."

I was thinking that was a possibility. The average non-Trek fans only knows about Klingons.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I thought it was "the one with the whales"?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wasn't that for all of one episode? And yeah there was the Sherlock "ooooops, nobody bothered to check whether this was public domain yet!" Holmes episode, but after that I don't think there's much at all.

Jesus from the way people get all boo-hoo over the dreadful way she treated our golden son you'd think she spent the whole season walking around the ship calling him "blinkyhead" and telling junior officers his orders carried no legal weight.

She wasn't that far off in early season 2, actually - In "The Child", she doesn't want Data in sickbay, dismissing him as 'cold technology'; in "Where Silence Has Lease", when Data's trying to explain the weird poo poo going on, she turns to Picard and demands 'Does it know what it's doing?!'

Like, she calms down a little bit, but early on, she's literally unwilling to accept Data as a sapient being.

(And people remember that because she doesn't really have any episodes of her own - there's 'The one where they rip off The Deadly Years' and 'The one where she's Moriarty's hostage', but she's not really the lead in either of them, so her most memorable moments are 'being a horrible rear end in a top hat' and 'being a technophobic idiot who inexplicably joined Starfleet'...)

Angry Salami fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 13, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Continuity is an albatross.

Then just say you're rebooting it. :shrug:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
The character trait I remember most about Pulaski other than hating Data is that she doesn't appear to have doubted herself once in her life, onscreen or off. Which puts her in a unique position among the crew (especially the women) until Ro shows up.

Also she banged Riker's dad.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 13, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angry Salami posted:

She wasn't that far off in early season 2, actually - In "The Child", she doesn't want Data in sickbay, dismissing him as 'cold technology'; in "Where Silence Has Lease", when Data's trying to explain the weird poo poo going on, she turns to Picard and demands 'Does it know what it's doing?!'

Like, she calms down a little bit, but early on, she's literally unwilling to accept Data as a sapient being.

(And people remember that because she doesn't really have any episodes of her own - there's 'The one where they rip off The Deadly Years' and 'The one where she's Moriarty's hostage', but she's not really the lead in either of them, so her most memorable moments are 'being a horrible rear end in a top hat' and 'being a technophobic idiot who inexplicably joined Starfleet'...)

I guess I just really don't give a poo poo that she was kind of a jerk to the one person who literally cannot take it personally.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scudworth posted:

The character trait I remember most about Pulaski other than hating Data is that she doesn't appear to have doubted herself once in her life, onscreen or off. Which puts her in a unique position among the crew (especially the women) until Ro shows up.

And probably Worf. She got around.

I guess I just really don't give a poo poo that she was kind of a jerk to the one person who literally cannot take it personally.

This I wholeheartedly agree with, and I think the "She was a dick to Data" is a bad reason to dislike her because of it. When you can go on a three minute rant to someones face, calling them inhuman, potentially-non-sapient walking garbage, and their reaction is mild puzzlement, you're not exactly starting a career in ruining lives.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Orv posted:

This I wholeheartedly agree with, and I think the "She was a dick to Data" is a bad reason to dislike her because of it. When you can go on a three minute rant to someones face, calling them inhuman, potentially-non-sapient walking garbage, and their reaction is mild puzzlement, you're not exactly starting a career in ruining lives.

That just makes it pointless then. Would you go on a tirade to your computer about how you don't respect it?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Like, almost daily.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

She's boozing all the time IIRC.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WampaLord posted:

That just makes it pointless then. Would you go on a tirade to your computer about how you don't respect it?

I get irritated with stupid customer service phone AIs all the time, from her perspective there's not much difference.

I mean imagine everyone else is ok with like an insurance company's phone bot running the ship, you'd freak out too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WampaLord posted:

this is basically the mission statement of YOSPOS

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Angry Salami posted:

'The one where they rip off The Deadly Years'

Speaking of which, how much were the DS9 writers hoping we forgot that episode when they were retconning Bashir? The genetic engineering in that one was insane.

Unnatural Selection posted:

:science:: We're growing kids that are telepathic. And telekinetic! And they mature super fast! And they have external immune systems somehow!
:raise:: Hmm, okay.

Doctor Bashir, I Presume posted:

:sigh:: So, the truth is, I can do math and science fast, and have pretty advanced dexterity.
:rant: You, sir, are a monster!

There was an eight year gap between the two, but it's weird to see that TNG episode post-DS9.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

skasion posted:

M'Benga owns, if only for that scene where he slaps the poo poo out of Spock.

Given how often Spock gets his rear end kicked they should probably have put M'Benga in more episodes.
M'Benga is the main doctor in the Vangard novel series. I appreciate that in TOS they actually had African characters from Africa, even if you'd never really know it culturally. Modern Trek all the diversity is filtered via America or Western Europe. I think Hoshi was supposed to actually be from Japan itself, but off the top of my head every other non-white human character was a whatever-American or British, which is pretty lame. That's one thing Discovery at least seems to be fixing, but they're hopefully not going too out there on the China ship and making it all-China all the time.

MikeJF posted:

The guy who posted it:

So everyone just... chill.

Also he's been fired because he's an NDA-breaking idiot.
I'm not sure I believe that this guy's not just trying to cover his rear end after the fact, other than the tall heads those aliens look a lot like the JJ-verse Klingons. I hope I'm wrong. Now if they are some long-lost ancient sect then I don't mind it, since clearly we've seen Klingons have a lot of variety in ridge type. As long as "modern" Klingons look like we'd expect them to, then I won't have to be a huge sperg over it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eh publicly dissing a co-worker and questioning his competence in front of everyone like that is just unprofessional, and for no reason too. If she had a problem with him she should take it to the first officer or the captain privately instead of undermining him to the whole crew. That's some childish poo poo.

You don't need a crew member who decides she's the authority on who is sentient and starts going off on people because her stone age rear end feels like they're too weird to really be "people".

Everyone's lives depend on accurate information, if you reject what the ops officer is telling you because his biology is wrong then maybe Starfleet isn't the career for you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought Geordi was explicitly from Mogadishu, Somalia, it just never came up, not even to the extent it did with Uhura. Was Daystrom given a specific nationality? If not, the Sisko was I think the first explicitly "African American" Trek character.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nessus posted:

I thought Geordi was explicitly from Mogadishu, Somalia, it just never came up, not even to the extent it did with Uhura. Was Daystrom given a specific nationality? If not, the Sisko was I think the first explicitly "African American" Trek character.
You're right, I guess he was. For some reason I thought Geordi was explicitly American too. I stand corrected.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Geordi does use the expression "beaucoup trouble" at one point, which made me think he was from Louisiana.

But of course Sisko is the one canonically fron Louisiana, so :shrug:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Apollodorus posted:

Geordi does use the expression "beaucoup trouble" at one point, which made me think he was from Louisiana.

Or Vietnam

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Knormal posted:

M'Benga is the main doctor in the Vangard novel series. I appreciate that in TOS they actually had African characters from Africa, even if you'd never really know it culturally. Modern Trek all the diversity is filtered via America or Western Europe. I think Hoshi was supposed to actually be from Japan itself, but off the top of my head every other non-white human character was a whatever-American or British, which is pretty lame. That's one thing Discovery at least seems to be fixing, but they're hopefully not going too out there on the China ship and making it all-China all the time.

I'm not sure I believe that this guy's not just trying to cover his rear end after the fact, other than the tall heads those aliens look a lot like the JJ-verse Klingons. I hope I'm wrong. Now if they are some long-lost ancient sect then I don't mind it, since clearly we've seen Klingons have a lot of variety in ridge type. As long as "modern" Klingons look like we'd expect them to, then I won't have to be a huge sperg over it.

The question is what would you call "modern", since the show takes place prior to TOS.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Didn't Geordi spend time as a kid on that dumb planet that dumb ensign was from in that dumb episode on the communications station?

No I have zero opinions about that episode why do you ask.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 13, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Eh publicly dissing a co-worker and questioning his competence in front of everyone like that is just unprofessional, and for no reason too. If she had a problem with him she should take it to the first officer or the captain privately instead of undermining him to the whole crew. That's some childish poo poo.

You don't need a crew member who decides she's the authority on who is sentient and starts going off on people because her stone age rear end feels like they're too weird to really be "people".

Everyone's lives depend on accurate information, if you reject what the ops officer is telling you because his biology is wrong then maybe Starfleet isn't the career for you.

Yeah I feel like if Pulaski was openly being racist to her android coworker in today's workplace, much less in 2362, she would be in trouble before too long.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah I feel like if Pulaski was openly being racist to her android coworker in today's workplace, much less in 2362, she would be in trouble before too long.

While I actually like Pulaski, and feel that her mini story about coming to accept Data is a good part of the second season, I also do not deny that it is possible and perhaps even likely that the reason she was gone in the third was due to a backlog of EEO complaints finally catching up to her.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

I love that Star Wars gets slavishly adherent 1977 styled period pieces but nobody can handle a vision of the future that isn't covered in terrible bump mapping otherwise it seems

I mean I'm not saying it'll all suck because of one or two photos, we have no idea who these guys are or what the rest of the show will look like but it seems a bit dubious to say "we're setting this show 5 minutes before TOS!" and then there's no real visual indication of that aside from one or two little tiny bits in the back that only nerds like us would be able to pick out.

I bet the computers won't even have physical buttons.

Orv
May 4, 2011

McSpanky posted:

I bet the computers won't even have physical buttons.

Even as a kid I refused to believe you could pilot anything at any sort of speed with TNG and on control surfaces. That poo poo dumb.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I liked in Voyager when Tom Paris designed the Delta Flyer he put in flightsticks and buttons as well as the touchscreen just so he could use them if he felt like it/needed to.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I always figured that the helmsman on the Enterprise-D wasn't really directly controlling the movements of the ship, but rather, entering movement paths in the form of lines or vectors in 3D space.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 13, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

remusclaw posted:

While I actually like Pulaski, and feel that her mini story about coming to accept Data is a good part of the second season, I also do not deny that it is possible and perhaps even likely that the reason she was gone in the third was due to a backlog of EEO complaints finally catching up to her.

"I've come to realize Data is just like us, unlike those filthy glorfors like the one we have as an ensign. Good thing I don't let him in sickbay or he'd steal all the drugs."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pakled posted:

I always figured that the helmsman on the Enterprise-D wasn't really directly controlling the movements of the ship, but rather, entering movement paths in the form of lines or vectors in 3D space.

Yeah they gotta be just typing addresses into the space-gps.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Djibouti.

Orv
May 4, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah they gotta be just typing addresses into the space-gps.
Yeah but, and this is the stupidest thing to hang up on, their inputs must be some crazy shorthand or something. But I won't actually travel that idea any further because I know they're just making poo poo up and my brain is dumb.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
the baseball episode of ds9 rules

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

dangerdoom volvo posted:

the baseball episode of ds9 rules

i thought you meant the baseball card episode for a second

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WeAreTheRomans posted:

i thought you meant the baseball card episode for a second

both rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Except for the fact that the size of the holosuite doesn't work for baseball.