Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Two things, one, I predict that dededestruction will end with everyone dying because humanity sucks

And two, new chapter of onideka. In this one, things escalate pretty quickly. Have to wonder how long the series will go for though.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onideka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yanno what, I just caught up on the last few chapters of Dorohedoro, and I'm kinda glad it didn't end when it could have. It means we get more stupid slapstick shenanigans in a world that absolutely does not deserve them. As much as I like regular Nikaido, demon Nikaido is fun too. So is the dude with the black eyes(forgot his name) who did his spiteful dance.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Dang Jairo Taniguchi died.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-02-11/award-winning-manga-creator-jiro-taniguchi-passes-away-at-69/.112126

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
What the fuuuuuuuuuck :(

69 isn't even that old either! :smith:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Just finished Chapter 54 of Kamisama no Iutoori 2. I really, really didn't expect this manga to get a real emotional reaction out of me. It was just kinda fun up until Kai Hara's death, which actually wrangled a couple tears out of me. Maybe I'm still just a kid inside, but whatever it is I'm glad I'm enjoying this so much.

e: MAJOR SPOILERS oh my god they have Stands now

e2: drat, just blitzed through that entire manga in one sitting. Can't quite point to any one thing that kept me going, but I don't regret it a bit. Had a lot of fun with this one, even more than the first.

klapman fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 12, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just binged all of Ontan and Friends.

I hope that it doesn't go full Bad End but it probably will.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rodyle posted:

I just binged all of Ontan and Friends.

I hope that it doesn't go full Bad End but it probably will.

Well, by my estimate, that there will be some sort of catastrophic Bad End is almost a given; the more interesting question is what will happen after that end. The entire series thus far has been an ongoing mockery of the assumption that the End of the World will actually change anything substantial; at least the End of the World as we know it - that is, as we know (or imagine) the end. There has always been an apocalyptic strain in Asano's works, but the apocalypse depicted in them is more of a state than an event.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Fire Punch is once again pushing the boundaries in grimdark cruelty on contemporary problems by having a transgendered character not being able to get a sex change since the body's regeneration restores the original state. Also due to this regeneration, said character has to basically live forever with gender identity disorder. :master:

It does bring up the interesting duality of person 1 suffering eternal bodily torment, and person 2 suffering eternal mental torment, so maaaybe they can find some kind of common ground there, but i'm not having high hopes since one of them is basically a tortured 13 years old.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

HenryEx posted:

Fire Punch is once again pushing the boundaries in grimdark cruelty on contemporary problems by having a transgendered character not being able to get a sex change since the body's regeneration restores the original state. Also due to this regeneration, said character has to basically live forever with gender identity disorder. :master:

It does bring up the interesting duality of person 1 suffering eternal bodily torment, and person 2 suffering eternal mental torment, so maaaybe they can find some kind of common ground there, but i'm not having high hopes since one of them is basically a tortured 13 years old.

gently caress that noise, I'm not gonna read it then. I was kinda curious about the silly movie themed villain thing, but that particular treatment of a trans character that you mentioned just turned me off that. I don't really want to read about someone being stuck with eternal gender dysophia. I've underwent enough of that for a lifetime.

EDIT: Also, gently caress the author for using trans people for cheap edgy drama.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 14, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i wouldn't muster too much empathy for the person who knows how to cure the protagonist of his eternal burning but chooses not to

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Man I love junji ito's style, I just wish he had a good horror writer to pair with. I don't know if it's a j horror thing but it feels like 70% of his ideas are the dumbest gimmicks that often go nowhere
But the art is just so great

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I guess that's true of a lot of Stephen king too though so maybe that's just what happens when you're a high volume horror guy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haha jesus christ the comments section after that Fire Punch chapter.

It's actually kind of interesting to have a remotely realistic depiction of transgender issues in a manga, particular in a setting that isn't either related to "traps" or involving a cute transgirl/woman (like Bokura no Hentai or Hourou Musuko*). In fact, I think this is the first time I've seen a transman at all in a manga. Given how bad Japan is with issues related to gender/sexuality, it's kind of surprising to see this kind of thing, especially in a manga that isn't specifically focused on gender issues.

*I know Hourou Musuko had a girl in it who likes dressing like a boy, but IIRC she wasn't actually trans and just liked dressing that way? I haven't read through the whole thing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

It's actually kind of interesting to have a remotely realistic depiction of transgender issues in a manga, particular in a setting that isn't either related to "traps" or involving a cute transgirl/woman (like Bokura no Hentai or Hourou Musuko*). In fact, I think this is the first time I've seen a transman at all in a manga. Given how bad Japan is with issues related to gender/sexuality, it's kind of surprising to see this kind of thing, especially in a manga that isn't specifically focused on gender issues.

*I know Hourou Musuko had a girl in it who likes dressing like a boy, but IIRC she wasn't actually trans and just liked dressing that way? I haven't read through the whole thing.

There's a transman in I Am A Hero too.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ytlaya posted:

Tiger from My Hero Academia is a transman.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Those comments are impressively awful.

Kissmanga posted:

why are you calling Togata a he? Yea yea I get it, people now a days like to called by what they identify as but... This is a manga and togata is a female no matter how you look at it. She, that's right I said SHE is drawn as a female and we just recently found out SHE is a man on the inside but that doesn't change how she is drawn and the way we have seen her till now. I guess this translates to real life but because it's a manga i'm less likely to hurt peoples feelings (even though I don't understand the whole male but female/ female but male thing.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Begemot posted:

Tiger from My Hero Academia is a transman.

Slime posted:

There's a transman in I Am A Hero too.

I somehow completely forgot about both of those characters, despite having read those manga (though to be fair neither are major characters along the lines of Togata).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also tbf forgetting my hero academia characters by the bushel is completely understandable

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Hahaha, Dungeon Meshi has updated and it now teaches us the birds and the bees.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Mahou-Tsukai-no-Yome

new Ancient Magus Bride. This chapter's insanely heavy. Also, probably one of the best chapters in the entire series.

It could really go anywhere from here. The threads have been laid out in many different directions.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did they ever explain what Cartaphilus did to that girl on the street, it seemed really ominous/:ohdear: but it's been like 5 chapters.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Mahou-Tsukai-no-Yome

new Ancient Magus Bride. This chapter's insanely heavy. Also, probably one of the best chapters in the entire series.

It could really go anywhere from here. The threads have been laid out in many different directions.
Sorry to hijack this(?)

I remember getting turned off by this manga because the early chapters seemed to revolve around making the MC suffer for the sake of showing how much it sucks to be her and she seemed mostly passive unless being active would land her in more poo poo. Obviously skipping over a bunch of chapters isn't going to fill me in on the nuances but the story seems to still be about piling on how the MC suffers and then when she is proactive she just gets to suffer again.

Maybe I've glanced at it at coincidentally the wrong times but what is the draw of this manga? I don't want to start a fight or anything about this but I'd like to know from other readers if it's worth giving it another shot or if it really is just a matter of taste.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Chise has a tragic past but she suffers very little and that suffering is not the focus of the story

If anything the disturbing part of the story is the codependent relationship that Elias and Chise are forming

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Chise has a tragic past but she suffers very little and that suffering is not the focus of the story

If anything the disturbing part of the story is the codependent relationship that Elias and Chise are forming
spoilers for the latest chapter
As I said I dropped it near the start so jumping from "sold during a human auction, FYI she's from have an abusive family" and to -> "3 years left to live and this arm is the 3rd curse she has" created the impression that the story was keen on piling misery on her. Hence why I asked if it was just a coincidental read on my part or not.

So is the codependence the (morbid?) draw of the story?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How about just read it, it's not that long

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

blankd posted:

spoilers for the latest chapter
As I said I dropped it near the start so jumping from "sold during a human auction, FYI she's from have an abusive family" and to -> "3 years left to live and this arm is the 3rd curse she has" created the impression that the story was keen on piling misery on her. Hence why I asked if it was just a coincidental read on my part or not.

So is the codependence the (morbid?) draw of the story?

The focus is on her relationships with people not on her suffering. I've never thought the focus was on her suffering. Tragedy exists as a vehicle at various points in the story to change directions, but it is not the focus, as in you are supposed to think she has it hard all the time.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

The focus is on her relationships with people not on her suffering. I've never thought the focus was on her suffering. Tragedy exists as a vehicle at various points in the story to change directions, but it is not the focus, as in you are supposed to think she has it hard all the time.
Thanks, by the sounds of it then I simply picked a bad chapter to "check in" on. I'll give it another try. Might post report comment later or something.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

blankd posted:

Thanks, by the sounds of it then I simply picked a bad chapter to "check in" on. I'll give it another try. Might post report comment later or something.

It is one of my favourite manga at the moment, that and Flying Witch.

The character development is great, there is action, romance, tragedy and humour. It has everything you could want in a story.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010
Reporting back on Ancient Magus Bride:
I'm very thankful to those that gave me info in their replies.

I feel it hits a better stride at around ch 6 with the cat arc but having read all the chapters, there's one odd bone I still have to pick with this manga and that's the fixation and handling of her age. At this time I feel like the author had to make her 15 for some arbitrary publishing reason, however it gets brought up from time to time and kind of never really... goes anywhere even though the characters who do are (seemingly, well-meaning) adult humans. Binging it probably makes this seem more frequent than it actually is.

If it was never really touched on again I'd just shrug it off as a weird contrivance of manga where protagonists just CAN'T be older. I'm willing to work with the conceit that Elias HAD to buy her to get the plot rolling and the inherent fuckery of developing some normalcy out of that, but the age difference is treated as much a punchline but also a concern by the characters in-comic (eg: characters that use her age as a reason why she shouldn't do something just as quickly back off).

It's not a dealbreaker for me, but it makes it harder for me to rec to other people and that's a massive shame since the issue stands out because it's in a competently done manga.

I'll probably give Flying Witch a read too since that was mentioned.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
flying witch is absolutely nothing like magus bride except that they are both very good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chise is 15 because she's an impulsive, headstrong young woman who constantly jumps headfirst into problems without considering the consequences. Whenever someone complains about Elias buying her, like this chapter straight up explains it better than I could. She was suicidal and sold herself at auction as a reagent. Elias isn't a human, he is straight up a What Is Love Beep Boop creature who wants to understand emotions better and wasn't sure why he was created. Together they find new reasons to live. It's a super good story, and considering a lot of the other characters are SIGNIFICANTLY older than humans tend to be if not outright immortal, treating her as a child goes beyond just "she's younger than me", it's often that proportionally she may as well be a fetus to a lot of them. :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Just coming into this thread having remembered Shield Hero and noticing a new chapter came out after I almost immediately stopped reading it

who is the intended audience for this? It's loving awful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mra's and/or pedophiles

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Edgelords who have a revenge fantasy

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
42% of japanese men age 18-34

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Relin posted:

42% of japanese men age 18-34

OneDeadman posted:

Edgelords who have a revenge fantasy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mra's and/or pedophiles

all of the above

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
In a way it's almost fascinating because it reminds me of GATE where the authors weird hosed up views come through insanely strong, only this time it's obviously some dude who I imagine was turned into a raging misogynist by a rape accusation.

I mean it's complete poo poo, but still sort of fascinating.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most dudes who get really worked up over the idea of false rape accusations have never actually been falsely accused of rape. same with spermjacking, for obvious reasons. i dunno the specifics about the shield hero author's life, but i'm not terribly inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. i mean goddamn, "adult women are all lying bitches but little girls are still pure and valid romantic partners"? gently caress that guy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

most dudes who get really worked up over the idea of false rape accusations have never actually been falsely accused of rape. same with spermjacking, for obvious reasons. i dunno the specifics about the shield hero author's life, but i'm not terribly inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. i mean goddamn, "adult women are all lying bitches but little girls are still pure and valid romantic partners"? gently caress that guy.
I (obviously) haven't read or seen the whole thing but I got the impression that the main character is so hosed up by the accusation and what happens to him that he literally loses interest in women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mentat Radnor posted:

A new chapter of Dead Dead Demon's is up, and things continue to look grim. :ohdear:

But also, lol.

I'll probably also wait til it's done, but what the heck are those girls up to now??