Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Steakandchips posted:

Kids don't need valentines gifts from their parents.

Look at this joyless sonuvabitch. Just because you are miserable all the time is no reason the kids should be too.

What's wrong with giving the kids a chocolate bunny or something for the holiday? It's for people you love, not just adults hoping to get laid

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's for people you love, not just adults hoping to get laid

Doubly so in my case. Just a night in with the kiddos eating chocolate and watching Sesame Street.

But the valentines stuff is for class. I'm also on the hook for juice boxes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm also on the hook for juice boxes.
It has a tube so obviously it's an IT problem.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Collateral Damage posted:

It has a tube so obviously it's an IT problem.

Everyone knows that grape juice is just some yeast and time away from alcohol, and no self respecting IT guy can say no to alcohol.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

I found a classified document (naval exercise plans iirc) on the desk of one of the most trafficked offices on board once. Some moron ops officer had printed it and promptly mislaid it. A whole shitton of fun happened after I alerted the CIC :haw:

The words "what the gently caress did you print that poo poo for?!" was heard clearly across half the boat when the XO found out.

Oh my God please tell me that you don't have printers in submarines, and if you do, please tell me you're not on an SSBN.

I just caught up on larches' spontaneous generation of brass testicles the size of grapefruits (and I threw a fist up in the air at every turn) and Larches, isn't that attitude of this director one of those Southern mentality things? One of those "respect your betters, boy" leftovers?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MJP posted:

Oh my God please tell me that you don't have printers in submarines, and if you do, please tell me you're not on an SSBN.

I'm now imagining a toner explosion happening on board the Red October.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

"Re-verify our print to target. One page only."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MJP posted:

I just caught up on larches' spontaneous generation of brass testicles the size of grapefruits (and I threw a fist up in the air at every turn) and Larches, isn't that attitude of this director one of those Southern mentality things? One of those "respect your betters, boy" leftovers?

I'm going to say no, based on my experience in the South. Well, it is, but not in successful companies, and schools are usually fairly progressive(compared to the general population)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

This was on a frigate. From the 60s. Based on the 40s Dealy-class destroyer.

The network onboard (as much as it existed, heh) was fibreoptic because TEMPEST wasn't even invented when the ship was built.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

The Fool posted:

Or a laser printer doing a clean or calibration during silent running. Imagine sitting on the sonar, trying to locate a sub, only to be blasted with printer screams. I would run away...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Wibla posted:

The network onboard (as much as it existed, heh) was fibreoptic because TEMPEST wasn't even invented when the ship was built.

How many degrees of roll did that ship do in rough seas?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I hate noreply@/blind autoresponder addresses and when I am king any domain caught with one will be blacklisted :argh:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Javid posted:

I hate noreply@/blind autoresponder addresses and when I am king any domain caught with one will be blacklisted :argh:

Hate to break it to you, but some of the big players do that. Cisco and Level3 are two off the top of my head.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I new phone install request came in.

Office area has 5 phones, 2 PCs. They need two replaced and two extra installed. Easy enough, order the phones, configure them at my office and head over for what will surely be a walk in the park.

There are two data ports for the entire office area. All 7 devices are daisy chained across the two ports. One port runs all the way across the room to a phone (because there's no power there, the phone requires poe), then tracks back across three phones to where the port is.

All along the underside of the desks are phone power cords, bricks and all, zip tied and suspended from taut ethernet cables.

When I told the building supervisor why he wasn't getting any new phone at all until somebody budgets to fix this disaster he shrugged and said 'yeah when it was first installed we rushed through the cabling, heh!'

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SEKCobra posted:

Holy gently caress, a client threatened to sue us, as well as the marketing company that created their website. We are their MSP & webhoster.

So the story goes like this:
They are a travel agency

Why didn't the story end there with "no thanks"?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Today I learned Windows doesn't handle logins very well when the user has saved over 4,100 files to their desktop folder.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Knormal posted:

Today I learned Windows doesn't handle logins very well when the user has saved over 4,100 files to their desktop folder.

That's a lot of files, what the hell did they do, copy the contents of a couple network folders onto their desktop?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MF_James posted:

That's a lot of files, what the hell did they do, copy the contents of a couple network folders onto their desktop?

You're thinking too smart. I'll bet they put ALL their work on the desktop so they could find it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Our password complexity requirements are fairly simple, and on top of them there's a historical ban preventing you from using the previous four passwords.

Three, maybe four years ago, I got frustrated by a consultant who seemingly needed a password reset every three months and challenged them over it. Their response was "It won't let me set it to the same password and I don't want to remember more than one". Nice. What was their current password? Flanker1 - so secure! I told them I reset their password to Wanker1 and let them go off on their way. A little while later they came back and said they couldn't believe that's actually what I set it to as they thought I was just joking with them. "No, this is your incentive to think of a better password."

Today their colleague needed to get into their workstation. Thankfully through my elite hacking skills I managed to get them access by guessing it was still Wanker with a number between 1 and 4 on the end.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh dear every three months, what a burden it must've been for you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Just because I'm a restroom attendant doesn't mean I'm interested in wiping asses.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

How many degrees of roll did that ship do in rough seas?

Google "oslo-class frigate" :v:

25-35 degrees roll weren't unheard of in storms. And it's not just rolling, the ocean doesn't swell in just one direction, so it could get pretty lively... We sailed with a Canadian frigate in the Mediterranean and they were amazed at how we managed to stay operational...

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

I thought it was sacrilege to call anything on the surface "boats" but what do I know about naval tradition

Edit: disregard, I'm unaware of the fact that US naval slang doesn't always necessarily apply to other navies

A reduction in force came in...

Wednesday while I'm out on jury duty, they let go four sales team members. My boss disabled the accounts pending our internal Sharepoint-driven add/move/change/terminate forms (which break when they get breathed on wrong) and let me and the desktop guy know who should get the forwarding.

Today, the forwarding still hasn't taken place.

This desktop guy is not exactly the world's greatest, and we're aware of it, but he's the kind that occasionally requires explicit and actual directions.

My boss is both in charge of IT and technical engineering (we're the broadcast industry) and as such I think I kinda want to pitch to him that we change up the organizational structure, make me the desktop guy's manager, and have him as my direct report so we can stop crap like this from happening again.

Last time I tried to cut dead weight away, they ended up just not hiring a desktop guy and I had to do the work. Here, it's more a matter of what I think our salary budget is for a desktop dude will only get us such a caliber of employee. Plus he's been here a few years, and doesn't yet seem to want to climb up. Which is good, because there's really nowhere to climb.

I dunno. When I was still helldesking it, my bosses never let me get away with stuff like that.

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 14, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ghostlight posted:

Our password complexity requirements are fairly simple, and on top of them there's a historical ban preventing you from using the previous four passwords.

Three, maybe four years ago, I got frustrated by a consultant who seemingly needed a password reset every three months and challenged them over it. Their response was "It won't let me set it to the same password and I don't want to remember more than one". Nice. What was their current password? Flanker1 - so secure! I told them I reset their password to Wanker1 and let them go off on their way. A little while later they came back and said they couldn't believe that's actually what I set it to as they thought I was just joking with them. "No, this is your incentive to think of a better password."

Today their colleague needed to get into their workstation. Thankfully through my elite hacking skills I managed to get them access by guessing it was still Wanker with a number between 1 and 4 on the end.

You're doing it all wrong. When you reset a password, it has to be long enough that it's a burden for the person to type.

mewse
May 2, 2006

When people call for a password reset now I tell them "OK I'll give you a temporary password", set it to something simple and set the flag for "user must change password at next logon".

I like to think this prevents repeat calls because they're forced to choose their own password that fits the requirements -- I know there are some people who just call in every time their password expires rather than handling it themselves, which is OK if they are out of the office but just lazy otherwise.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mewse posted:

When people call for a password reset now I tell them "OK I'll give you a temporary password", set it to something simple and set the flag for "user must change password at next logon".

I like to think this prevents repeat calls because they're forced to choose their own password that fits the requirements -- I know there are some people who just call in every time their password expires rather than handling it themselves, which is OK if they are out of the office but just lazy otherwise.

This should be mandated. Helpdesk shouldn't know user's passwords, that's basic stuff.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

This should be mandated. Helpdesk shouldn't know user's passwords, that's basic stuff.
There's no indication that this didn't happen.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

There's no indication that this didn't happen.

I was trying more to second the "always check the user must reset password box" than anything else.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Our org mishandles passwords terribly and I am making up the rules as I go along

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If my helpdesk would give me gripe about forgetting my password a measly 4 times per year I'd think they'd be pretty unprofessional.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mewse posted:

Our org mishandles passwords terribly and I am making up the rules as I go along

Well you're doing it right! :shobon:

spankmeister posted:

If my helpdesk would give me gripe about forgetting my password a measly 4 times per year I'd think they'd be pretty unprofessional.

People around here forget their passwords all the time and/or ignore/don't see the "Your password is going to expire!" bubble. I have a script that can easily reset their passwords across all the DCs so it's really no skin off my back and people think it's fancy when I run it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Eh, if I do something simple like check the "change password at next logon" I'll just be resetting their password the next day.

If I set their password to 14022017first.lastname45687newpassword (date, username, idnumber, literally the string newpassword) it's all of a sudden far more convenient for them to do the work to change it. They usually then do it right there on the phone. Repeat calls have dropped significantly for it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Eh, if I do something simple like check the "change password at next logon" I'll just be resetting their password the next day.

If I set their password to 14022017first.lastname45687newpassword (date, username, idnumber, literally the string newpassword) it's all of a sudden far more convenient for them to do the work to change it. They usually then do it right there on the phone. Repeat calls have dropped significantly for it.

I mean, if you check that box it's maximally convenient for them to change the password since they don't have a choice.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
The must-change password flag messes with a bunch of our single sign-on apps that don't handle the response properly and just continue to give "bad password" errors. Users will ignore any and all instruction to change the temp password and continue trying it in the SSO-enabled app until we clear the flag. Then we re-enable it later, they log into Windows the next day and get forced to change it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, if you check that box it's maximally convenient for them to change the password since they don't have a choice.

They seem to remember their new password better when their choice is either remember, or have another abomination of a password. :shrug: I used to set the checkbox and forget about it but the long password seems to be the better deterrent.

e:

Sunblood posted:

The must-change password flag messes with a bunch of our single sign-on apps that don't handle the response properly and just continue to give "bad password" errors. Users will ignore any and all instruction to change the temp password and continue trying it in the SSO-enabled app until we clear the flag. Then we re-enable it later, they log into Windows the next day and get forced to change it.

Also this happens.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 14, 2017

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Inspector_666 posted:

I worked at a auto retailer whom wanted me to do this and I straight up refused.

But then again, they wanted credit application information on their website to go to a web form in HTTP plain text to a non secure email address...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Between me and the other guy who handles them, we once had to reset a guy's password six times in five days because he kept locking himself out. I've also had several supervisors requesting password resets on the behalf of their subordinates and being very confused when I ask to talk to the account holders directly. Also people try to give me passwords that they want me to reset them to and don't understand why I really do not want that information.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Any guesses as to how well the 'force password change on next login' box works when you give the user a temporary password and have minPasswordAge set to 1 day in GPO?

The user can't change their password on login and it just gives an unhelpful error about the password not meeting the complexity requirements :ssh:

Also the other posts about SSO breaking as well.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

SeaborneClink posted:

Any guesses as to how well the 'force password change on next login' box works when you give the user a temporary password and have minPasswordAge set to 1 day in GPO?

What is the reason behind minimum password ages? I never understood that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MANime in the sheets posted:

What is the reason behind minimum password ages? I never understood that.

To make sure people don't change it and then immediately change it back? Disallowing the last n passwords would fix that too, I guess.

• Locked thread