Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
wtf do immigrants have to do with anything about this

people are so stupid lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Almonds use jillions of water so let's just plant some ammonds on the banks of the river upstream. Looks like this problem is solved you boys can go home

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

wtf do immigrants have to do with anything about this

people are so stupid lol

well maybe if humans hadn't immigrated themselves to the new world they wouldn't have built a dam there :smuggo:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the water is mexicans, the emergency spillway is trump's wall

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

boner confessor posted:

the water is mexicans, the emergency spillway is trump's wall

What's oroville then?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Psycho Society posted:

What's oroville then?

white daughters and or low wage manual labor, depending

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
So I went to the fairgrounds in Chico (the city north of Oroville where everyone was told to go) this morning, it was surprisingly calm and actually felt like less traffic than normal around that area. The fairgrounds were almost full and had some people camping, and all the hotels I saw were packed. Caltrans had a single sign pickup on the highway saying where the road was closed. We also heard helicopters every hour or so last night headed south.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
When can we start looting?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Katosabi posted:

So I went to the fairgrounds in Chico (the city north of Oroville where everyone was told to go) this morning, it was surprisingly calm and actually felt like less traffic than normal around that area. The fairgrounds were almost full and had some people camping, and all the hotels I saw were packed. Caltrans had a single sign pickup on the highway saying where the road was closed. We also heard helicopters every hour or so last night headed south.

This is exactly what will happen when the ruskies invade

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Katosabi posted:

Important question, are the BMX and go cart tracks open today?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Katosabi posted:

Smells like a government cover-up for something far more sinister. Or maybe they're testing the pliability of Americans to be put into camps for their own safety.

Either way something sneaky is afoot, I guarantee it.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Ein cooler Typ posted:

how weak do you have to be to get killed by water anyway

any good adventurer invests enough ranks to score a 5 minimum on a swim check

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

twit666 posted:

When can we start looting?

Last night according to the news. Sorry, they've already gotten all the Long John Silvers. You snooze, you lose.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

Perhaps you've heard of this giant area called "outer space"?

checks out.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My aunt has been evacuated and is like "lol there's going to be nothing left". My uncle, her brother, went to his office and intends to stay so he can keep the servers running for his company's game poo poo. She's like "he's gonna die, good thing I'm getting all his money". I texted him a picture of that and he's going to find a lawyer who hasn't left town yet if he can so he can change his will :)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ein cooler Typ posted:

yeah, even if you're caught out in the open you could just hold your breath until the flood's passed over you and the water subsides. people should do that instead of running round screaming and panicing and using their precious oxygen up.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

My aunt has been evacuated and is like "lol there's going to be nothing left". My uncle, her brother, went to his office and intends to stay so he can keep the servers running for his company's game poo poo. She's like "he's gonna die, good thing I'm getting all his money". I texted him a picture of that and he's going to find a lawyer who hasn't left town yet if he can so he can change his will :)

Lol that's great

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If anything immigrants could be used instead of rock bags

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Pistol_Pete posted:

yeah, even if you're caught out in the open you could just hold your breath until the flood's passed over you and the water subsides. people should do that instead of running round screaming and panicing and using their precious oxygen up.

Surfers do that all the time! You just wait for the wave and dive under it!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just follow the bubbles honey

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

If anything immigrants could be used instead of rock bags

Just like everything else, immigrants would do a worse job.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
i mean, if your first thought when you see the floodwaters is to run away, then you're going to be panting and out of breath when they catch you up and you'll drown quite quickly. If you take a single deep breath and firmly stand your ground, you'd have a much better chance of survival.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

i mean, if your first thought when you see the floodwaters is to run away, then you're going to be panting and out of breath when they catch you up and you'll drown quite quickly. If you take a single deep breath and firmly stand your ground, you'd have a much better chance of survival.

I'd fire a few shots to let the water know I'm serious

a bone to pick posted:

Well, at least if it floods there's plenty of anchor babies to keep you in place.

Lmao

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 13, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Well, at least if it floods there's plenty of anchor babies to keep you in place.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That is Oroville as gently caress.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol and who is gonna notarize it??? Aunt gonna be rich.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I know right? Water is perfectly harmless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5pljvuppzc

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

lol and who is gonna notarize it??? Aunt gonna be rich.

I know more than one notary from Oroville. They are very much the type who would be inclined to stand their ground even as their trailer floats towards Marysville.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Growing up whenever we would interact with kids from other cities in the area it was always Oroville that everyone trashed on.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Did any Californians die yet??

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
They should be evacuating people to the dam and hand out straws when they get there. If the 200k people evacuated get at least the recommended 1 gallon a day drank, then the water will recede in no time.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been drinking water everyday for years, I'm pretty sure I must've built up an immunity by now.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Dam update,

The SacBee writes, water is flowing out of Lake Oroville's main spillway fast enough to cause lake levels to drop by up to 30 feet before the next storm Wednesday night. Officials hope that will be enough. Lake Oroville can fill fast during a big storm. During storms from Monday of last week through Friday, lake levels increased by 50 feet.

The main factor in how fast the lake drains continues to be the condition of the main spillway. Officials said Monday morning that the main spillway had not further deteriorated despite huge outflows cascading over it Sunday afternoon and evening. The more water drained from the lake by the next storm, the less chance that the lake again will fill to the point that activates the emergency spillway. Erosion on the emergency spillway Sunday night created the need to evacuate nearly 200,000 people.

With 100,000 cubic feet per second of water flowing out of the lake, lake levels were dropping about one foot every 3 hours on Monday morning, state figures show. That translates to a drop of about 120,000 acre-feet every 24 hours. At current pace, the lake will fall to about 400,000 acre-feet below its emergency spillway by Thursday morning. To get the lake back to the levels normally mandated for flood control, it would need to fall by about 700,000 acre-feet.

Officials have more modest goals. They said Sunday night that they hope to drain the lake by 20 to 30 feet by the next storm. At current pace, they will hit that target.

Better hope the Wednesday storm and rest of the week, isn't so rainy as the forecast expects.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Uncle got his poo poo done, now I'm getting his inheritance :lol: sent that to aunt, she's mad as gently caress and threatening his wellbeing.

I love california. Who knows who he got to do it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Uncle got his poo poo done, now I'm getting his inheritance :lol: sent that to aunt, she's mad as gently caress and threatening his wellbeing.

I love california. Who knows who he got to do it.

:drat:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Irradiation posted:

Growing up whenever we would interact with kids from other cities in the area it was always Oroville that everyone trashed on.

That's because only Oroville is big enough to have recognition. It's hard to clown on Thermalito when everyone thinks that's what Mexicans drink coffee out of.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Monos Bullet posted:

They should be evacuating people to the dam and hand out straws when they get there. If the 200k people evacuated get at least the recommended 1 gallon a day drank, then the water will recede in no time.

What happens when they need to pee.

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.

exploded mummy posted:

What happens when they need to pee.

This is more tricky than I thought. Maybe they can pee into air tight bags and tie it down with a rock. Use the bags and any turds people take to help build the dam back up.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Walk to Bullards Bar and pee in the Yuba River watershed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ein cooler Typ posted:

quote:

Nothing in the world
is as soft and yielding as water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible,
nothing can surpass it.