Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

But what if it were a neighborhood full of black orthodox Jewish people
I would probably feel safer than I do now if I lived in a neighborhood with Rashida Jones, Lenny Kravitz, and Maya Rudolph.

In other words, kill the poors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Maybe Cee-Lo thinks if he's wacky enough people will forget that he sexually assaults women

Worked for Casey Affleck and Woody Allen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coffee And Pie posted:

MetalliGa was sick as hell, but Adele is lame mom music.

Last year, my Mom was telling me that she didn't have the money to get the rest of Adele's albums.

:v: "What on Earth are you talking about, Mom?"

:downs: "Well, the one I have is called 25. She has 24 more albums, right?"

:stare: "No, Mom, she titles her albums by her age."

:downs: "That's not true, she's still a teenager."

:v: :allbuttons:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Timby posted:

Last year, my Mom was telling me that she didn't have the money to get the rest of Adele's albums.

:v: "What on Earth are you talking about, Mom?"

:downs: "Well, the one I have is called 25. She has 24 more albums, right?"

:v: :allbuttons:
Your mom doesn't have $240 to spend on Adele albums?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The MSJ posted:

Trump was strangely obsessed with Kristen Stewart a while back.

Well I found him most uncouth before, but now he's gone too far. :black101:

plz dont pull out posted:

You got a point there. Everyone post your rainforest song.

I mean, it's about the whole wide world, but it mentions rain!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8udXeyIosoQ

Though that tribute album is notable for having my fav. Jimmy Eat World song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkd91Is47wU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Josh Lyman posted:

Your mom doesn't have $240 to spend on Adele albums?

To be fair, that's far above my Adele budget as well.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally saw The Crowd after trying to see it for years. It's like a precursor to neo-realism.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Mr. Holmes is great and Ian McKellen is the best Sherlock Holmes. That is all

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

Trump was strangely obsessed with Kristen Stewart a while back.

I'm going with the theory that it was just a side effect of him being strangely obsessed with Robert Pattinson.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just watched the Lil Yachty/Carly Rae Jepsen It Takes Two thing and that poo poo is dope and Carly Rae is my new girlfriend

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

So Red Letter Media just did a retrospective review of Starship Troopers. I know a bunch of you don't give a gently caress about RLM, but what's genuinely funny to me are the people in the comments still angry at the film for disrespecting Heinlein's original book.

I watched a decent chunk of that Starship Troopers vid and it comes across like a high school book report for a movie. Are all their re:Views vids like that?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I watched a decent chunk of that Starship Troopers vid and it comes across like a high school book report for a movie. Are all their re:Views vids like that?

Yep.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Except usually lower quality than a high school book report.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Awful.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm legitimately curious as to why there's such a big market for the specific Youtube movie criticism niche of "lengthy plot synopsis interrupted sporadically by some very basic good/bad analysis". Without trying to be too cynical, does it have to do with folks being like "well this movie seems like it sucks so I don't actually want to watch it, so if I watch this video that tells me how the whole thing goes and what the dumbest parts are, I'll be able to talk about how bad it is too"?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Unrelated to that, John Wick: Chapter 2 is now officially my blueprint for how you do action-comedy. There were parts that definitely flagged, especially compared to how relentlessly kinetic the first was, but I count at least three absolute dynamite po-faced comedy sequences

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jenny Angel posted:

Without trying to be too cynical, does it have to do with folks being like "well this movie seems like it sucks so I don't actually want to watch it, so if I watch this video that tells me how the whole thing goes and what the dumbest parts are, I'll be able to talk about how bad it is too"?

Yup.

I know a guy who used to do this. Smart, intelligent, successful guy but when the conversation eventually got to popular culture everything he said was an opinion I had seen or heard on the Internet before, verbatim, and about stuff he hadn't even seen yet.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Does it include the two times he throws a gun at a dude's face?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still feel like people fail to acknowledge that the Final Destination movies are just the Omen movies but minus Damien.

They're Pulse movies minus the cool sentient-electricity demon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm legitimately curious as to why there's such a big market for the specific Youtube movie criticism niche of "lengthy plot synopsis interrupted sporadically by some very basic good/bad analysis". Without trying to be too cynical, does it have to do with folks being like "well this movie seems like it sucks so I don't actually want to watch it, so if I watch this video that tells me how the whole thing goes and what the dumbest parts are, I'll be able to talk about how bad it is too"?

Because it's nice to slightly deeper look into it over just "This part was funny! This part was bad! Also here's some problems I had with it because I have to say bad things about the film and also my opinion!" without jumping to insane readings which are very alienating and not very interesting to people like me. I'd rather listen to people I like* talk about movies casually over someone doing what they do in a typical BvS discussion.

Higher than BBV, lower than CD. That is the exact place for me!

*Also this is the main part. See, I like the RLM crew, a lot actually. So any time I get to hear them talk about movies is worth it. That's kinda what it boils down too. I just like hearing people I respect talk about film.

Also John Wick 2 was quite incredible. There's some awesome religious stuff in the movie, but my favorite had to be the meta plot on how forced the main plot felt, which kinda felt like the whole point. John looks at the camera, tired, bloody, and says straight up too the audience, "YOU WANTED ME BACK. I'M BACK!"

And then I felt kinda bad because I did want him back, but the dude is so drat tired and wants to be happy. It's like one of the few times it felt like a fictional character was screaming "Help me please! Get me outta this movie!!"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

plz dont pull out posted:

Does it include the two times he throws a gun at a dude's face?

No, better than that

1) The Sommelier sequence, especially when he requests that his suit's lining be "tactical"
2) John and Cassian's fight in Rome, especially when they go tumbling down so, so many stairs
3) John and Cassian passive-aggressively shooting silenced pistols at each other in New York while the crowd completely ignores it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel like that's the big thing that doesn't click with you guys about RLM. If you don't like them as people, their videos aren't going to do all that much for you. And that's fine. One of my other favorite site is Double Toasted. I love all of them to death and I listen to that podcast almost every day and yet still don't care much for their film reviews because they operate under the assumption that they must be "critics" and find negative bits just so they can appear non-biased or something.

But I love listening to them anyway because they're just fun people.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Killing time, watching movies by osmosis.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Killing time, watching movies by osmosis.

Pretending like your're hanging out with these people

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lobok posted:

Yup.

I know a guy who used to do this. Smart, intelligent, successful guy but when the conversation eventually got to popular culture everything he said was an opinion I had seen or heard on the Internet before, verbatim, and about stuff he hadn't even seen yet.

I'd rather just watch Terrorvision instead of watching someone tell me about Terrorvision.

CelticPredator posted:

Because it's nice to slightly deeper look into it over just "This part was funny! This part was bad! Also here's some problems I had with it because I have to say bad things about the film and also my opinion!" without jumping to insane readings which are very alienating and not very interesting to people like me. I'd rather listen to people I like* talk about movies casually over someone doing what they do in a typical BvS discussion.

Lol always back to Beavis. While I liked one episode of the nerd podcast thing they did, I can't find anything enjoyable about re:Views given the format. It's boring.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Pretending like your're hanging out with these people

Drake taught me: no fake friends.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jenny Angel posted:

1) The Sommelier sequence, especially when he requests that his suit's lining be "tactical"
Will never not enjoy Peter Serafinowicz popping up wherever.

quote:

2) John and Cassian's fight in Rome, especially when they go tumbling down so, so many stairs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BEAVIS.

And yeah, how much you'll like re:View is almost 100% about how much you like the crew. I also don't think I've ever "watched a movie by osmosis" unless it's something like...I dunno, The Bye Bye Man. Or Rings. Something that I most likely wasn't ever going to watch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm just happy if I can listen to a movie reviewer that understands film but also understands that no one wants to hear the word "diegetic" or how Smurfs is an allegory for the russian aristocracy's decline.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah, when that happened, I immediately visualized the more-blatant version where it pulls back to a wide shot showing that there's hundreds of more steps to fall down. They do it just enough for it to be a bit of a joke.

Whereas this:

CelticPredator posted:

Also John Wick 2 was quite incredible. There's some awesome religious stuff in the movie, but my favorite had to be the meta plot on how forced the main plot felt, which kinda felt like the whole point. John looks at the camera, tired, bloody, and says straight up too the audience, "YOU WANTED ME BACK. I'M BACK!"

And then I felt kinda bad because I did want him back, but the dude is so drat tired and wants to be happy. It's like one of the few times it felt like a fictional character was screaming "Help me please! Get me outta this movie!!"

falls flat for me because it's not like I had any particular interest in seeing the John Wick character again. I was in it for the people who made the movie. Don't blame the tiresome convolutions you came up with to justify a direct sequel on me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My spellcheck thinks diegetic isn't a real word, and it's right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

falls flat for me because it's not like I had any particular interest in seeing the John Wick character again. I was in it for the people who made the movie. Don't blame the lengthy convolutions you came up with to justify a direct sequel on me.

Oh I'm going to now. It's all your fault. All of it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just happy if I can listen to a movie reviewer that understands film but also understands that no one wants to hear the word "diegetic" or how Smurfs is an allegory for the russian aristocracy's decline.

My dude... that sounds like the exact opposite of understanding film

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

My dude... that sounds like the exact opposite of understanding film

I can't really think of a polite way to say you're wrong, so I'm just gonna say you're hella wrong.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

personally I think pretty much all youtube channels suck

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I can't really think of a polite way to say you're wrong, so I'm just gonna say you're hella wrong.

I read it as you preferring analysis that uses layman's terms to convey ideas. c/d?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

I read it as you preferring analysis that uses layman's terms to convey ideas. c/d?

[eyes bugging out] That's... pure ideology

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

My spellcheck thinks diegetic isn't a real word, and it's right.

So what's the laymans way of saying diagetic then?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

[eyes bugging out] That's... pure ideology

[points a finger at you with a stern face]

I got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Wait, what's wrong with the word "diegetic"? How else would you describe, say, a diegetic soundtrack?

• Locked thread