Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

Did they just conjure that up from nowhere or is it based in fact? I've oft elected to wonder about that.

It's to help the narrative that they've "defeated" the SA goons somehow. Because at one time everybody here was buying into Star Citizen as well, when things started to go south with the game, SA goons pulled out since it smelled fishy.

This pull out, instead of being because the game is shady and not being anything near as advertised, is instead seen as a huge butt hurt and retreat because we somehow lost some kind of war with CIG that never took place.

It's your shill spin on "game is a lie, get a refund ASAP", since winning an internet war over a game that still doesn't exist sounds significantly better to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

I am no longer disembodied space boobs.

I can't decide if that's an argument for or against…

Mirificus posted:

"Someone needs to remind them that this is all going on in their forum, under their brand, and it's not good for their image to be associated with that level of toxicity. "

Of course, what poor thorn forgets to mention is that his posts pretty consistently entail dragging the thread off-topic and discussing some problem with Elite, rather than SC, and equally consistently getting told by the mods to stop doing that, which is why they now have a bit of a temper as far as accepting his Elite-derails. He also consistently fails to grasp the difference between “SC should do [thing from other game]” (i.e. talking about SC with a different game as point of comparison) and “Elite does [thing] bad, so how can you rag on SC?” (i.e. talking about Elite and thinking that this somehow disproves criticism against anything). Poor thing — so harassed by the mods for trying the same thing over and over and failing every time. :D

In other news, this game is really neat — CIG should implement some of the tech so they can be the Best drat Evolving Bullet Hell Arcade Shooter Space Game Ever, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBMY0vcDj4

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

The second picture looks yucky. I have to do my wet work with kindness and a firm spanking hand.

It is considered epically nasty by all but a small few. Ammonium chloride (the amazingly bitter coating) is also used as fertilizer. Wow. Note to self - Market to CIG backers. Obviously they don't mind the taste of crap.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I oft elect to play Star Citizen on my Ouya, it's a good experience, it's really great

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Samizdata posted:

Oh my! I am inspiration for a 'shop! GO ME!

Crobbler needs to get a better toupee. His current one is like copy protection against photoshoppers. It's only when you try to cut his mug out that you realise it's like he cuts his own "hair" with pre-school scissors.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

It's to help the narrative that they've "defeated" the SA goons somehow. Because at one time everybody here was buying into Star Citizen as well, when things started to go south with the game, SA goons pulled out since it smelled fishy.

This pull out, instead of being because the game is shady and not being anything near as advertised, is instead seen as a huge butt hurt and retreat because we somehow lost some kind of war with CIG that never took place.

It's your shill spin on "game is a lie, get a refund ASAP", since winning an internet war over a game that still doesn't exist sounds significantly better to them.

Which is why some many of the Goons (yours truly included) like to talk about being in the trenches and phrase certain events as military battles. (Moreso in the last thread, granted)

To mock backers.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

Forget that! I just can't wait for the next chance to use an Medipen from an unlabelled cabinet in an abandoned space station! Thank God there's not really any aliens so I don't have to worry about the medicine being human compatible!

I think they just need to do it realistically the way it was done during WW2 that Roberts so loves. Everybody knows you had to eat a turkey dinner sitting on the floor to regain lost health. You could also eat random dog food, but it's healing qualities weren't as good.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Xaerael posted:

Crobbler needs to get a better toupee. His current one is like copy protection against photoshoppers. It's only when you try to cut his mug out that you realise it's like he cuts his own "hair" with pre-school scissors.

Well, sorry about that. He apparently had Archer teach him hair care. As a legal protection matter.

"Hey, Ryan? How can I stop those Salty Asshats from making me look bad in their Photoshops?"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Did they just conjure that up from nowhere or is it based in fact? I've oft elected to wonder about that.

There's a lot of history to it.

Basically CIG were making incredibly amateur mistakes on community management and proposed game design. People from here starting pointing out the obvious on the RSI forums, like, don't allow grey market trading on your own website forums, don't let people get banned for stupid poo poo because a mod is power mad without being able to appeal in some form. Don't let mods sell people ships and make money from it, maybe be a little less harsh on people making harmless jokes and a little more harsh on racist shitheads talking about sex slaves and rape.

The forum suggestions were mostly taken on board because even CIG cares about their forums making them look bad and there's only so long you can keep loving up incredibly basic community management issues, there was a fuss over a few things.

The most visible game suggestion stuff was around PVP as CIG were marketing the game to both PVE & PVP players, again all obvious stuff that anyone who's played a PVP game would recognise and drives PVE players nuts. This is when the Eve thing started as Eve is also a space game with pvp. Obviously these suggestions weren't taken on board as there's no game, also after a while everyone here pretty much figured out the problems weren't down to normal startup teething issues but the fact that nobody at CIG has any level of competence required to manage a community or design a game.

Beer probably kept up the helpful suggestions longer than anyone but they fixed that when they banned him.

From a stupid Citizen point of view I can see how they'd think that goons were trying to heavily influence the game and that is bad. To them it obviously suggests nefarious plans instead of, you know, people who'd spent far too much on these stupid dreams from a liar (estimated release Nov 2014) trying to make suggestions to improve the game they wanted to play, as normal players for an actual game are sometimes known to do.

The most visible example of just how dumb CIG was at the time is probably the smug pretense post. Years later it's still amazing to me that :lesnick: thought that was a good idea, but then that's a guy that 18 months later decided to call out Derek Smart on the interweb and get him to shut the gently caress up with an epic putdown.

AP fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 13, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/831221635462074369

:drat:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

There's a lot of history to it.

Basically CIG were making incredibly amateur mistakes on community management and proposed game design. People from here starting pointing out the obvious on the RSI forums, like, don't allow grey market trading on your own website forums, don't let people get banned for stupid poo poo because a mod is power mad without being able to appeal in some form. Don't let mods sell people ships and make money from it, maybe be a little less harsh on people making harmless jokes and a little more harsh on racist shitheads talking about sex slaves and rape.

The forum suggestions were mostly taken on board because even CIG cares about their forums making them look bad and there's only so long you can keep loving up incredibly basic community management issues, there was a fuss over a few things.

The most visible game suggestion stuff was around PVP as CIG were marketing the game to both PVE & PVP players, again all obvious stuff that anyone who's played a PVP game would recognise and drives PVE players nuts. This is when the Eve thing started as Eve is also a space game with pvp. Obviously these suggestions weren't taken on board as there's no game, also after a while everyone here pretty much figured out the problems weren't down to normal startup teething issues but the fact that nobody at CIG has any level of competence required to manage a community or design a game.

Beer probably kept up the helpful suggestions longer than anyone but they fixed that when they banned him.

From a stupid Citizen point of view I can see how they'd think that goons were trying to heavily influence the game and that is bad. To them it obviously suggests nefarious plans instead of, you know, people who'd spent far too much on these stupid dreams from a liar (estimated release Nov 2014) trying to make suggestions to improve the game they wanted to play, as normal players for an actual game are sometimes known to do.

The most visible example of just how dumb CIG was at the time is probably the smug pretense post. Years later it's still amazing to me that :lesnick: thought that was a good idea, but then that's a guy that 18 months later decided to call out Derek Smart on the interweb and get him to shut the gently caress up with an epic putdown.

Thanks for that. OK, so basically they are fuckwits.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Yes, there was a lot of funny drama though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

Yes, there was a lot of funny drama though.

I sort of miss the times when Star Citizen was funny instead of painfully horrible on every level

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

My God I forgot about that post. Man those were the halcyon days for CIG drama.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

It's an amazing post, I'm going to take a screengrab of it again now before the RSI forums go offline.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I think they just need to do it realistically the way it was done during WW2 that Roberts so loves. Everybody knows you had to eat a turkey dinner sitting on the floor to regain lost health. You could also eat random dog food, but it's healing qualities weren't as good.

Thanks for reminding me I need to finish playing that. Also, I love that list of Ernie Pyle stories discussing the U.S. soldiers dual wielding assault rifles.

Wait, why exactly AREN'T akimbo weapons in Star Marine?

EDIT: Wait a sec. Could all those Lovecraftian nightmares we see in SC be the result of a covert Stimperial project to sabotage medipens with deskeletonization drugs? Brilliant, Crobbers! Worthy of an M. Night Shyamalan movie!

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 13, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

It's an amazing post, I'm going to take a screengrab of it again now before the RSI forums go offline.

Didn't Ben used to have different coloured posts like MoMMA Toast etc or am I remembering wrong?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
How do you do that thing where you can find deleted reditt posts?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Didn't Ben used to have different coloured posts like MoMMA Toast etc or am I remembering wrong?

The dev tracker on the front page only links to gold posts, when :lesnick: posts he can choose to exclude a post from the dev tracker by not making it gold.

Incidentally, years later the dev tracker still links to gold posts in the concierge and subscriber forums but only shows a few sentences from the start of the post on the front page. So if you aren't concierge or subscriber you can't read the rest of the post as you get "permission denied" or whatever the error is, open development by clowns.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

How do you do that thing where you can find deleted reditt posts?

I use Ceddit (although it seems like their certificate recently expired). You can check if Ceddit has the deleted post in question by replacing the reddit with ceddit in a url.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

AP posted:

The dev tracker on the front page only links to gold posts, when :lesnick: posts he can choose to exclude a post from the dev tracker by not making it gold.

Incidentally, years later the dev tracker still links to gold posts in the concierge and subscriber forums but only shows a few sentences from the start of the post on the front page. So if you aren't concierge or subscriber you can't read the rest of the post as you get "permission denied" or whatever the error is, open development by clowns.

This is a known issue. Everything is normal. Fixed in Spectrum

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mirificus posted:

I use Ceddit (although it seems like their certificate recently expired). You can check if Ceddit has the deleted post in question by replacing the reddit with ceddit in a url.

Thanks, that found it :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

Everything is hosed isn't it?

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
Hello this is the AI for hygiene mechanics. Could you wash your balls as they are starting to smell. Hot flannel with soap will do the trick. You will be awarded 1000 uec plus receive + 10 crew morale boost.

Also consider a pubic trim - mission is available in on planet landing zone a-11-d

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Everything is hosed isn't it?

I was almost panic selling ships in December 2013, fearing that the dog fighting module might arrive and burst the bubble before I'd broken even. Sadly over three years later they've learnt to hide their incompetence better, so it's not as funny, but people like moma are still fascinating to me. How many warning signs do people need, how can someone keep up with this thread and not know everything is hosed?

I still find the bug reporter interesting as the "game" isn't something they can hide, but the crazy fans on reddit less so.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

I was almost panic selling ships in December 2013, fearing that the dog fighting module might arrive and burst the bubble before I'd broken even. Sadly over three years later they've learnt to hide their incompetence better, so it's not as funny, but people like moma are still fascinating to me. How many warning signs do people need, how can someone keep up with this thread and not know everything is hosed?

I still find the bug reporter interesting as the "game" isn't something they can hide, but the crazy fans on reddit less so.

It's an odd thing, where we are now. It feels like no matter what they do it's tinged with bullshit, sort of changes them from being comedy clowns to straight up assholes and it makes everything less funny. Things feel more calculated these days, shittier.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Speaking of Spectrum (lol), did they manage to release that yet or is it typical CIG?

Before you say it, my heart/smart/fart says the latter

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

Ben Lesnick, Developer. That's why. No need to be openly angry.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah. It's as if he's no longer an official employee but they don't want to disclose it to the Spergs.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ben Lesnick, Developer. That's why. No need to be openly angry.

:argh:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Well, all the staff, except him, have Gold posts nowadays. Remember the Ali B fiasco, and how he went from standard to Gold by using his CIG account?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7516130/#Comment_7516130

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. It's as if he's no longer an official employee but they don't want to disclose it to the Spergs.

*checks the date on the Ben post screenshot*

*lols at Derek*

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ben: Moving the gold posts

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

It's an odd thing, where we are now. It feels like no matter what they do it's tinged with bullshit, sort of changes them from being comedy clowns to straight up assholes and it makes everything less funny. Things feel more calculated these days, shittier.

They got burnt a few times in the past with negative things on gaming sites for simple gently caress ups so they had to learn. But Derek really changed everything, not just on refunds but I'm convinced they really see it as a propaganda war now and everything meaningful they put out on video is pre-approved and run through the expensive teleprompter.

I think the tone has changed because the lying has become blatant and high incidence of mental illness of the the major whales has just become a lot more obvious.

I'd be in favour of sponsored r/starcitizen suicide prevention posters for when the end comes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5tsswt/cig_ok_go_and_publish_the_262_schedule_this/ddoxj2h/

quote:

COD:IW took an extremely experienced team and an existing, stable engine what? 3 years to make?
Now say SC is twice as complex as a IW (lol), and we give them twice as long as IW to design, implement and test the entire game, and until the end of this year to completely stabilise an engine that will support it, we'd be looking at a 2024 release. You good with that? More to the point, you going to pay to support that?

:allears:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Throw some faps my way you cheap slut.
:arghfist::wth::fh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beet Wagon posted:

To be fair, Toast never banned anyone for being a goon. Thank goodness, otherwise he'd have to face Ben's wrath.