Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
We're playing cklimbey now room for 2 more. add me then look for me in the server browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that was fun

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Cojawfee posted:

No, it's the friends list in rec room.

You have to make them a friend first though by randomly finding them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I played with a few people and we tried questing and got to the last part and died. A++ would group again

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
fun times. a few of us were playing climbey - we actually fuckin beat this level. one hour four mins. my arms are tired.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799938181

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Went overboard on caffeine last night and slept through VR times. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sweet christmas christ the bosses in Thumper VR mode are terrifying :cry:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Pick another time and date because gently caress yeah i want in on this next time around

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I haven't paid close attention in a while, does the Vive have anything yet for (for example) opening browser windows or youtube videos in games like Elite: Dangerous?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I haven't paid close attention in a while, does the Vive have anything yet for (for example) opening browser windows or youtube videos in games like Elite: Dangerous?
Its a little clunky but https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that works great for having things in games etc, I use it with elite a lot.

If you want to interact with your desktop best bet is probably just opening steam overlay and clicking the desktop on bottom though.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
Yesterday was good times. Charades was fun. Disc Golf was fun. Climbey was fun.

What would also be fun:

Serious Sam?
Quest? (we tried a little bit of this but dropped out because it's four players max)

km2
Jul 27, 2012
Serious Sam TFE VR (16 players max, Serious Difficulty)

Bullets And More VR (12 players max)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I assume Quest is super lame as single player?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I think Quest is just kinda lame because of teleporting + swords is awful and no game can handle that well.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a "turn off" feature with the Oculus im missing? I notice that when the computer is on, the Oculus software isnt running, and the headset is not facing the sensors its still doing SOMETHING. Cause it generates a little bit of heat and i think maaaaybe it's putting some load on my GPU? I notice the GPU is hotter when idle than before the headset was introduced at least.

edit: without unplugging it

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dongattack posted:

Is there a "turn off" feature with the Oculus im missing? I notice that when the computer is on, the Oculus software isnt running, and the headset is not facing the sensors its still doing SOMETHING. Cause it generates a little bit of heat and i think maaaaybe it's putting some load on my GPU? I notice the GPU is hotter when idle than before the headset was introduced at least.

edit: without unplugging it

It's a feature - add scare quotes to that as desired. The Oculus software is always running in the background and the headset always draws a small amount of power when connected. This is so that it can detect the user putting on the headset and start the Oculus software automatically, and so it can silently update the Oculus software and downloaded games in the background at any time. As far as I'm aware there should be no additional GPU load when it's not being used, though.

There's deliberately no user-facing way to turn it off completely, but you can manually start and stop the "OVRService" service if you're willing to dig a little under the hood of Windows.

edit: That said, the power required to run the proximity sensor is tiny, so I certainly wouldn't expect the headset to be noticeably warm to the touch when not in use or anything like that.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
It's not hot or anything, but just the most miniscule of temperature change on the top of it that tipped me off. But eh, i suppose i'm okay with that if it's not actually using any meaningful resources.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The headset definitely does generate a little heat when it's "off", it's much less than while the Oculus app is running but I can feel it on mine as well. I tend to just remove the facial interface and unplug it at the headset since it's easier than getting down under my desk to unplug it from the PC.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

My next PC build is for sure going to have a front panel VR plugin. Heck one of these isn't a bad deal even if you don't have a MSI card.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bridge Crew is delayed again, to May 30th

quote:

Previously supposed to release in 2016 and then March 2017, Ubisoft has delayed their VR game, Star Trek: Bridge Crew to add polish to the game and even add some additional content that allows players to play with the original USS Enterprise crew.
I have no idea what that actually means. Did they get the coveted William Shatner's Face rights??

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hope they're delaying it to flesh it out more so it's not just a "neat to try out once or twice" type thing and more of a real game

Buuuuuuuuuuut it's Ubisoft so

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Bridge simulator depresses me since I don't have any other friends who are nerdy enough to be Star Trek fans and into the first gen VR scene. It is basically the game that my basement dwelling teenage self always wanted to play.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Will it be online? I've been interested in it but I also don't have any friends. I don't have friends that like star trek, yeah, that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Will it be online? I've been interested in it but I also don't have any friends. I don't have friends that like star trek, yeah, that.
Its online and, like the other Ubi VR games, cross platform between PC and PSVR.

Also Pulsar: Lost Colony added VR support today and it looks similar or better than Bridge Crew, TBH. You can beam down and go on away missions and poo poo. Haven't played it myself though.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Eyud posted:

The headset definitely does generate a little heat when it's "off", it's much less than while the Oculus app is running but I can feel it on mine as well. I tend to just remove the facial interface and unplug it at the headset since it's easier than getting down under my desk to unplug it from the PC.

The Oculus and Vive both run a little power to the headset to keep it from getting too cold so it doesn't fog when you put it on.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Argggh = Adelaides Really Good Gathering of Game Developers (yeah I don't know where the H comes from either). Monthly get togethers at the Goody.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/382760981775174/

My apologies but I've had a rough day and I'll be missing this event. Chances are I'll show up to the one in April, though, if this is a monthly event.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
http://uploadvr.com/new-patent-suggests-sony-working-vive-like-tracking-psvr/
So looking at this, I'm wondering: do we think there's a chance Oculus/other PSVR people might invest in a serious attempt to create a compact console-like Windows gaming PC to accompany their next gen HMD? PCVR is never going to be able to compete with console VR until the cost of the base hardware drops a lot, and that includes the cost of the requisite computational power. It would mean they have to sell loss-making hardware across-the-board and their storefronts would be their money makers.
e: hell maybe Microsoft is actually going for a full-on Windows-based solution after the XBone disaster? They're keen on VR integration after all. Though I presume next gen XBone will be a few years down the road.

rage-saq posted:

The Oculus and Vive both run a little power to the headset to keep it from getting too cold so it doesn't fog when you put it on.
If only this worked. Though to be fair I keep mine near a bay window and it's winter here.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 14, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

El Grillo posted:

So looking at this, I'm wondering: do we think there's a chance Oculus/other PSVR people might invest in a serious attempt to create a compact console-like Windows gaming PC to accompany their next gen HMD?
Not a significant chance, no. I guess Razer might try something, but lol if anyone thinks that sort of thing would actually catch on.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I know the reason Carmack has mostly been working on the mobile side is that he thinks that's the way most people are going to be using VR for the near future, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant improvement of some sort to GearVR (thinking along the lines of inside out tracking). I think if they could get that working throw in a DayDream like controller and you could have a pretty big step forward there.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lemming posted:

I know the reason Carmack has mostly been working on the mobile side is that he thinks that's the way most people are going to be using VR for the near future, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant improvement of some sort to GearVR (thinking along the lines of inside out tracking). I think if they could get that working throw in a DayDream like controller and you could have a pretty big step forward there.

The problem with GearVR is that Oculus don't have sole ownership of it; it's really more of a product that they designed for Samsung. Unfortunately because of that I think it's much more in Oculus's interests to let GearVR die on the vine and switch over to a mobile offering of their own - probably something based off the standalone kit they've been demoing in the past few months. Which is a shame, because the GearVR is quite nice in many ways.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

NRVNQSR posted:

The problem with GearVR is that Oculus don't have sole ownership of it; it's really more of a product that they designed for Samsung. Unfortunately because of that I think it's much more in Oculus's interests to let GearVR die on the vine and switch over to a mobile offering of their own - probably something based off the standalone kit they've been demoing in the past few months. Which is a shame, because the GearVR is quite nice in many ways.

No way; the GearVR itself is comparatively low-margin product now that they sell for $99 everywhere (or are free with carrier contracts).

Remember, GearVR games are all through the Oculus Shop, not a "Samsung" shop. That can generate a ton of value over time, in addition to the mindshare of having "Oculus" stamped on all the headsets, and the GearVR being the highest market share VR headset by far.

What I'm saying is I highly doubt they want to kill it and do their own. They're getting most of the benefits they set out for, and Samsung is handling the sales/distribution, TV commercials, and hardware support so it's a win-win for Oculus.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Remember, GearVR games are all through the Oculus Shop, not a "Samsung" shop. That can generate a ton of value over time, in addition to the mindshare of having "Oculus" stamped on all the headsets, and the GearVR being the highest market share VR headset by far.

There is actually a Samsung VR store on the Gear VR. It's less prominent than the Oculus store, but I don't know if that's a contractual obligation for Samsung or whether they could choose to push their store instead of Oculus' in future. Obviously it would be a trade off for them, since Oculus' store has more content right now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

NRVNQSR posted:

There is actually a Samsung VR store on the Gear VR. It's less prominent than the Oculus store, but I don't know if that's a contractual obligation for Samsung or whether they could choose to push their store instead of Oculus' in future. Obviously it would be a trade off for them, since Oculus' store has more content right now.

Huh, I had the Gear VR back in the Note 4 days (have a Nexus 6p now so I'm stuck with my desktop Oculus) and never saw a Samsung store.

Hey, is this the newest version of the Gear VR?: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM-R323NBKAXAR-Virtual-International-Warranty/dp/B01M0YDS2A/

My boyfriend has an S7 Edge so if these are really all the way down to $45 each I might as well get him one.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

Samsung always hedges their bets, they always have their own app store. They've had multiple on Android for years and years now. I wouldn't look at it as anything except a backup plan for Samsung.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Huh, I had the Gear VR back in the Note 4 days (have a Nexus 6p now so I'm stuck with my desktop Oculus) and never saw a Samsung store.

Hey, is this the newest version of the Gear VR?: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM-R323NBKAXAR-Virtual-International-Warranty/dp/B01M0YDS2A/

My boyfriend has an S7 Edge so if these are really all the way down to $45 each I might as well get him one.

Yeah I think that's it. Also I've wanted to get the new one but didn't really use mine enough anymore to justify it, but I'm down for $45, thanks for the link

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Whoof, Climbey more like Barfey. I've been completely invulnerable to motion sickness from every game so far except for that one, including things like Rec Room and Onward. Not too sure why. :barf:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

Whoof, Climbey more like Barfey. I've been completely invulnerable to motion sickness from every game so far except for that one, including things like Rec Room and Onward. Not too sure why. :barf:

It got me a little bit too, although I was playing for like an hour before it really hit me. Turning on the floor grid helped some.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It amuses me that my favorite game for VR and the one I keep coming back to is still Audioshield. Janky UI, crash prone, feels incomplete and still the most fun I can have getting exercise.

Bonus points for playing along to FFXIV music from youtube. ~forward and back and put one foot forward~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

It amuses me that my favorite game for VR and the one I keep coming back to is still Audioshield. Janky UI, crash prone, feels incomplete and still the most fun I can have getting exercise.

Bonus points for playing along to FFXIV music from youtube. ~forward and back and put one foot forward~

Yeah Audioshield is still probably my favorite & I have put absolute buttloads of time into. So good.

Super Pixel Smash is very simple but another one that I find myself going back to play at least one round to see if I can push my high score further.