Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I'm just a lurker, but I'd like to thank you all for ruining the best thread on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yawgmoth posted:

No. Ketchup goes on nothing because it's disgusting tomato frosting.

you're already eating a hot dog there is not much moral high ground to be taking lol

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

Don't flatter yourself; it's actually because you say such stupid poo poo.

Arguing that a woman isn't overweight because she's only slightly overweight according to the metric you're using is straight up idiocy.

I didn't say she wasn't overweight, I said she wasn't fat.

Next time I do this at least point it out to me and explain how I'm trying to come across as an authority because I really don't get it and both of the last two times I can remember you doing it I ended up scratching my head in confusion, asking you to elaborate, and getting nothing in response

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Psycho Society posted:

Barbecue sauce is like 70% sugar these days :chloe:

Again, you got to go with no added sugar, because the sugar palette on the average North American is completely overton window'd to Candyland

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Psycho Society posted:

Barbecue sauce is like 70% sugar these days :chloe:

I've worked with a lot of international people and one of the most common complaints is that everything is so loving sweet in america, we add sugar to basically everything.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
let us come together in our hatred, not be torn apart

quote:

I [25 F] am growing tired of my[28 M] boyfriend of 4.5 years' picky eating.Relationships
1,027 points 611 comments submitted 1 year ago by cravingvariety to /r/relationships

Robert and I have been together for almost five years now, but have only lived together for about a year. Up until recently, we were long distance, and saw each other every weekend and on most holidays. We were lucky to be able to do that, and I knew going into this all that he's a picky eater. What I did not know was just how picky, because he downplayed it a lot, until we moved together.

We have an otherwise happy relationship, but I love to travel, as does he, and I am not a picky eater. I would like to be able to eat the local food wherever we are, but he throws a tantrum if he sees me eating something that he doesn't like, and he won't kiss me or be intimate with me for days after, even when I brush my teeth and do the entire oral care routine in front of him (which he demands). I feel like he's trying to use intimacy as a weapon to keep me from doing what he doesn't like, and that's irritating as well, and it honestly is a big bummer to not be able to try new things while we're travelling. For me, that's half the fun of being in a new place.

At home, it's more of the same. I can't bring home anything that he wouldn't eat, and if I do, I have to be prepared to be frozen out for however long because of my "betrayal" as he's called it.

Here is the list of things he doesn't like:
    All fruits, with the exception of bananas and grapes
    Cheese
    Milk, except for chocolate milk
    Water, unless it has an artificial extract in it or other sort of flavoring
    Vegetables, with the exception of avocado
    Nuts
    Legumes
    Soups
    Anything with a sauce
    Bread, except for cheap, white bread
    Frozen things
    Yogurt
    Tea, Coffee and hot drinks
    Alcohol, even when it's all cooked off (like, rum cake for example)
    Pasta
    Rice
    Real Chocolate
    Granola and most cereals
    Oats
    Grits
    Mustard
    Food that has any spices in it at all- not just "spicy" things
    Ketchup
    Mayonnaise
    Pork
    Chicken
    Seafood
    Eggs
    Pudding
    Gelatin
    Popcorn
    Crackers
    Anything that's touched another food type

There's more, but you get the idea

This leaves a lot of things totally off of the table, literally, and it's starting to really be a problem for me. I come home earlier than he does at night, so I've been buying just enough for what I need for dinner, cooking for myself, deodorizing and cleaning the kitchen and putting it all back so it doesn't look like I've done so, and then making a Robert approved dinner for "us" later, when he gets back, but I'm getting tired of doing that.
Everything, other than this is working for me, in our relationship, and I'm not really sure if this is enough to break up over, after being together so long. I've tried to come to a compromise with him before, but he dismissed everything and wouldn't budge, at all.

He knows that his behavior and attitude makes me upset, but all he can focus on is how much he doesn't like that I want to eat things he doesn't want to.
Those of you with picky partners, how do you deal with mealtime and travel?
tl;dr: Boyfriend hates a lot of food, insists that I restrict my diet to match his- I'm getting tired of sneaking around, not sure what I should do.

Edit: Since a lot of people keep asking, this is a list of what he does eat:
    Bananas
    Grapes
    Avocados
    Beef
    White Bread
    Butter
    Cheerios
    Chocolate Milk
    Instant Potatoes
    Flavored Water

Last night, for dinner, he had a bowl of instant potatoes, a steak, a glass of vanilla flavored water and a bowl of grapes.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

Again, you got to go with no added sugar, because the sugar palette on the average North American is completely overton window'd to Candyland

You can also make it yourself, BBQ sauce isn't that hard to do. Good BBQ sauce is expensive. :(

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Mirthless posted:

I didn't say she wasn't overweight, I said she wasn't fat.
So is she big boned or what? Fat and overweight are almost always synonymous.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it is a bitch trying to get stuff that has no sugar in it at the store

even if it says 'no added sugar' that doesn't mean it isn't BBQ sauce which is 90% sugar to begin with

Pick posted:

wow normally I'd say that person has the palette of a 5 year old but tbh I think that might be a small scale eating disorder

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Picky eaters are literally the worst forms of life imo. When you especially gently caress up in an exquisite way you get reincarnated as a picky eater.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

tl;dr: Boyfriend hates a lot of food, insists that I restrict my diet to match his- I'm getting tired of sneaking around, not sure what I should do.

extra point in the eating disorder column

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

I'm really, really surprised at this huge list of things that are absolutely verboten, but somehow he's okay with Avocado

I mean, Avocados are awesome, but it's a little more adventurous than I'd expect from a guy who is grossed out by soup

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Pick posted:

Isn't this the one where he ends up assaulting her? Vanilla flavored water is ringing a bell.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pick posted:

Ketchup with no added sugar is good :colbert:.

I agree on ketchup with added sugar, which is in the same food group as carrot cake and candied yams.
I am conflicted because I like carrot cake but candied yams were made by the devil. Or possibly introduced to the devil on a trip through Minnesota.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Everyone just loving ignore Mirthless gently caress.

I [29F] feeling betrayed by [46M] husband backing out of legal ceremony[new]

submitted 2 hours ago by Fist_City_86

quote:

So, we had a ceremony in October and were going to get legally married after the 1st of the New Year. That has been the plan all along. When I said in a couple weeks we will be getting our marriage license he freaked out and is saying he wants to wait until our relationship is better before committing legally. I feel so hurt and betrayed. We have kids together and I have been going by Mrs.[his last name] and now I feel like a fraud. I was looking forward to changing my last name and more than anything, I just feel betrayed. When I committed to him, I was committing to better or WORSE and now I feel like I have to be perfect for him to think I'm good enough to marry. He even had the audacity to call me a gold digger during our argument even though I pay for ALL of my poo poo AND the kids'. I don't give a poo poo about money, happiest times of my life were when I was poor so, I don't equate money with happiness, I would be happy living in a trailer. I just think I'm stuck now because I don't want to force someone to marry me and I don't want to be in a relationship with someone who thinks I'm not good enough. I'm just so heart broken because I don't want to gently caress my kids up.

TL;DR Had ceremony with husband, planned to legally marry, husband now backing out
Never date older dudes

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Some of you have stared into the abyss for too long.

quote:

Me [20F] with my "boyfriend" [21M] of 2 months, won't see me again, because of my race

Hey Reddit, sorry if I've posted this in the wrong subforum, used Reddit only once before.

A little bit of background: My mother is from Nigeria, but since she was 10, she was living in Hungary. She met my father here, who was Hungarian. I have a brother too, I think he had it way harder than I have, he had no friend, no nothing here, because he was black. Two years ago he went to study abroad and said he will never look back. I always wanted to have a boyfriend, you know cuddle and whatnot, but the boys were never interested in me, I never really thought it was because of the colour of my skin. I was naive, I guess.

I had a few friends, but never had a boyfriend at all. I always got strange looks on the street, but I guess I got used to it, anyways. I went to university here in Hungary, I wasn't a really good student, but thankfully I got in somehow.

The current "story" starts here:

Sooo in uni I've met this nice guy, who unlike most of the other people didn't mind the fact that I wasn't Hungarian (Or more like... white, because they get along with their fellow eastern European people, expect a few). So we got along just fine, we were hanging out more and more and during one party, we have kissed and more...

After that we have started to hang out more and more. We did other... things too, but after two months, this Sunday actually I've asked him if we were a couple or not. He seemed visibly shocked and said no, I've started crying, a lot at his place. I've told him why, he didn't answer me and asked me to leave his place and it would be better if we wouldn't see each other again.

Today he sent me a text, where he explained himself. He told me that we can't be a couple, because if he dated me, people would mock him and he doesn't want a girlfriend like me either. When I have asked him what do you mean "like me", he told me "You know.. black."

I've never been so heartbroken in my entire life, I just want to get him back and I don't care what other people would think about it, everybody looked down upon me in my entire life here, he was the first one who didn't and now I've lost him too.

What can I do?

tl;dr: Met a guy, we hanged out a lot, kissed etc, but he told me he won't date me because I'm black, but I love him.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

artichoke posted:

Isn't this the one where he ends up assaulting her? Vanilla flavored water is ringing a bell.

oh my god i looked it up and it's more horrifying than just "assaulting her", jesus christ.

content warning, sexual assault:

First off, thank you to everyone who replied and gave advice and support, it was totally amazing and all of it was good to read and take into consideration. You guys helped a ton.

I wish I could say that this update was good news and that everything went smoothly. It didn't. Shortly after he woke up, I presented him with breakfast and said something along the lines of "When you have time today, and after you've woken up a bit, I'd like to talk to you about something." which was met well. Off I went to think about what I wanted to say. About an hour later, he said he was ready to talk, so we went into the living room and sat together. I stayed calm, and didn't make it a blaming and shaming situation, what I said was along the lines of "Robert, I love you, and I love what we've been building. I feel like we're at a point in our relationship where we're serious enough that I think we need to talk about nutrition.
I know that you take a multivitamin, but I would like if you would go to a Doctor and make sure that you truly are getting all of the nutrients you need. I want you to be around for as long as you can be. I am also going to stop adhering to your diet, because it's not healthy for me. For my health, I need to keep vegetables, fruit, nuts, legumes and grains in the house. I will pay for this myself, and you only need to chip in for your groceries- nothing's changing for you, but this is unhealthy for me, and I need you to understand that."

He actually let me finish what I needed to say, but he proceeded to pretty much have a meltdown. He was defensive, called me some unsavory names and told me that I have no right to bring vegetables into our living space without his consent. He said that I was basically raping him, and making him feel violated. He got physical with me. He threw me into a wall, punched me repeatedly, broke my rib and proceeded to sodomize me. Through everything, he was yelling and I was crying and paralyzed with fear. It was all a blur, but the next thing I knew was my neighbor coming into our living room and pulling him off of me while saying that the police were on their way. Robert took off. Neighbor helped me get my pants on and told me not to move too much. He stayed with me through everything and we gave information to the police- he even came with me on the ambulance to the hospital. At the hospital, a rape kit was done and my rib was dealt with.

The police were able to find Robert thanks to me being a weirdo who keeps hers and her SO's license plate numbers memorized and written in my phone just in case. Charges have been filed and I got a restraining order this week. I am safe now, and moved into my own place, closer to school and work and I have my own kitchen that I can keep whatever the gently caress I want in. I feel so much more free and overall, am happier. I don't know if Robert will ever get help for his eating problems, but I am glad to say that it's no longer my concern.

tl;dr: Said I wanted to keep veggies in the house, got rib broken; broken up, moved out and happy now.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
:murder: time yo

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

murder is a bit of a half measure don't you think?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
alright that's like 100 points in the eating disorder column with a few thousand extra bonus points in "mentally deranged" column

quote:

I have no right to bring vegetables into our living space without his consent. He said that I was basically raping him, and making him feel violated.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

I am conflicted because I like carrot cake but candied yams were made by the devil. Or possibly introduced to the devil on a trip through Minnesota.

I agree on carrot cake. Not all things weirdly sweetened are bad per se, I'm just saying, it's in that family of foods.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Literally dismantle that miserable oval office piece by piece and feed him to himself

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

don't date picky eaters!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

LethalGeek posted:

Never date older dudes

:barf: @ that age gap, good lord, 17 years?

They have "kids" together, when do you think they started dating?

Also, lol@him thinking not marrying her is any kind of serious legal protection against anything, they almost certainly became common law married when they had kids together

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

LethalGeek posted:

Never date older dudes

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:17 year difference :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Derail that has been run into to ground before starting in 3....2....1

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mirthless posted:

oh my god i looked it up and it's more horrifying than just "assaulting her", jesus christ.

First off, thank you to everyone who replied and gave advice and support, it was totally amazing and all of it was good to read and take into consideration. You guys helped a ton.

I wish I could say that this update was good news and that everything went smoothly. It didn't. Shortly after he woke up, I presented him with breakfast and said something along the lines of "When you have time today, and after you've woken up a bit, I'd like to talk to you about something." which was met well. Off I went to think about what I wanted to say. About an hour later, he said he was ready to talk, so we went into the living room and sat together. I stayed calm, and didn't make it a blaming and shaming situation, what I said was along the lines of "Robert, I love you, and I love what we've been building. I feel like we're at a point in our relationship where we're serious enough that I think we need to talk about nutrition.
I know that you take a multivitamin, but I would like if you would go to a Doctor and make sure that you truly are getting all of the nutrients you need. I want you to be around for as long as you can be. I am also going to stop adhering to your diet, because it's not healthy for me. For my health, I need to keep vegetables, fruit, nuts, legumes and grains in the house. I will pay for this myself, and you only need to chip in for your groceries- nothing's changing for you, but this is unhealthy for me, and I need you to understand that."

He actually let me finish what I needed to say, but he proceeded to pretty much have a meltdown. He was defensive, called me some unsavory names and told me that I have no right to bring vegetables into our living space without his consent. He said that I was basically raping him, and making him feel violated. He got physical with me. He threw me into a wall, punched me repeatedly, broke my rib and proceeded to sodomize me. Through everything, he was yelling and I was crying and paralyzed with fear. It was all a blur, but the next thing I knew was my neighbor coming into our living room and pulling him off of me while saying that the police were on their way. Robert took off. Neighbor helped me get my pants on and told me not to move too much. He stayed with me through everything and we gave information to the police- he even came with me on the ambulance to the hospital. At the hospital, a rape kit was done and my rib was dealt with.

The police were able to find Robert thanks to me being a weirdo who keeps hers and her SO's license plate numbers memorized and written in my phone just in case. Charges have been filed and I got a restraining order this week. I am safe now, and moved into my own place, closer to school and work and I have my own kitchen that I can keep whatever the gently caress I want in. I feel so much more free and overall, am happier. I don't know if Robert will ever get help for his eating problems, but I am glad to say that it's no longer my concern.

tl;dr: Said I wanted to keep veggies in the house, got rib broken; broken up, moved out and happy now.

At least she says at the end that she's safe and better off now, sounds like she's been able to deal. But Robert needs :murder:
My cousin is a bit like that. He can't even handle the smell of most foods, it makes him gag. I don't know how it's possible to live like that, or why it happens. Both of his sisters eat normal food.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Fullhouse posted:

don't date picky eaters!

I'm at the point in my life where if a girl shows me she likes all types of food and culinary methods I will p. much be halfway to marrying her

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

My cousin is a bit like that. He can't even handle the smell of most foods, it makes him gag. I don't know how it's possible to live like that, or why it happens. Both of his sisters eat normal food.

He should get therapy for his mild eating disorder.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Fullhouse posted:

don't date picky eaters!

Definitely the lesson here

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
And more therapy for his raping disorder

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grevling posted:

I feel like you might not be totally dialed in on what happened here.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Mirthless posted:

Also, lol@him thinking not marrying her is any kind of serious legal protection against anything, they almost certainly became common law married when they had kids together
Common law is the exception, not the rule.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

Common law is the exception, not the rule.

Whoops, yeah, my bad. It's only in about a fourth of the country, I didn't realize that!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

zakharov posted:

Definitely the lesson here

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You could argue picky eating is the anime watching of food habits though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mirthless posted:

I am generally against torture but holy poo poo this guy is making me rethink that stance in his case. :wtc:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Psycho Society posted:

You could argue picky eating is the anime watching of food habits though.

Lots of people do it, but if you're not over it by the time you're 22 it's probably a bad sign?

Yawgmoth posted:

I am generally against torture but holy poo poo this guy is making me rethink that stance in his case. :wtc:

i want kevin spacey to gluttony this guy with nuts

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lol

quote:

22M] I used to call this girl [20F] butterface among friends, now dating and it's getting real. I know I have to tell her, but how?

u/thrwwybttrfcbb15m

So, I've known this girl for quite some time, but we never really talked to each other except for the standard 'Hi' & 'Bye'. Among friends we used to call her butterface. I coined this nickname myself a few years ago and we just kept using it. Well, we got to know each other better the last few weeks and things are going well. Of course I realize I'm a huge douchebag for calling her that, and I know there's no way I'm getting out of this any good. I do know that I have to tell her, but I have no idea how I should approach her about it.

Background: butterface is what you call someone with a great body but a not so great looking face (but her face -> butterface). She used to be not so pretty but that changed. I guess that's just karma coming my way.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TLDR: Used to call this girl butterface among friends, now dating and it's getting real. I know I have to tell her, but how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mirthless posted:

Lots of people do it, but if you're not over it by the time you're 2 it's probably a bad sign?
FTFY