Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I know someone was talking earlier how it makes comic-book universe sense for James to want to become a superhero because that's just what good people who want to be heroes do in these worlds, but it really doesn't make sense in a series that includes the likes of Alex and Maggie. If James doesn't want to be stuck behind a desk literally running one of the biggest and most influential conglomerates in the country, he can just as well apply for the DEO or a police academy.

It's doubly weird because earlier in the season he was bemoaning how Winn had found his rightful calling as a DEO agent but now they're making so that Winn's rightful calling isn't just to do helpful tech things in an office but also...doing the exact same thing...in a van...elsewhere.

The goalposts kinda keep shifting in order to make this plot functional and sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually like to believe that Alex was mad at Jimmy and Winn because she didn't get the Guardian gear to play with.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Noticed a short glimpse of Luthor's green and purple battle suit (probably no need to spoiler that but I haven't seen it being discussed ITT yet) in the trailer for the next episode, so that will hopefully be fun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I actually like that they don't feel the need to force Kara to be someone. I always maintain that the downfall of many super hero shows is relationship drama because it always ends up just making our heroes into sad sacks to mope around.

loving Barry.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah, in a lot of ways Supergirl is lucky that Kara doesn't have a destined love interest the Flash or Arrow. I mean, in both cases they found ways around it, and I think Barry/Iris are in a good place right now for that show, but man does CW shipping drama suck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You're forgetting about the horse.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

Kara did you not learn how to eat a cupcake? You rip the top off and flip it around and smoosh it to the bottom, cupcake sandwich! Not with a fork. Seriously.

I've been doing it wrong since cupcakes were invented, by hipsters in 2005.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The proper way to eat a cupcake is to shove the whole thing in your mouth and remove the paper when you're done. It's like tying a cherry stem into a knot but with frosting.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I actually like that they don't feel the need to force Kara to be someone. I always maintain that the downfall of many super hero shows is relationship drama because it always ends up just making our heroes into sad sacks to mope around.

But they are doing relationship drama. :confused: The i'll turn him down for reasons, but now actually want him, buh oh no now he's with someone! is exactly that. Have her be with someone or stay single, whatever, just don't dwell on it. Wish stuff like this as well as keeping secrets as a source of drama just went away.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'd actually find it so incredibly refreshing if Kara never entered another romantic relationship. It would be really novel for a CW show, and would be super cool. Kara should remain a rad lady who's friends with everyone.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
They should do it Big style.

"Kara, I want to sleep with you." ;)
"Uh okay, but I get top bunk!" :)
:(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
What is wrong with you weirdos just remove the paper and shove half of it into your fat gob

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Kara did you not learn how to eat a cupcake? You rip the top off and flip it around and smoosh it to the bottom, cupcake sandwich! Not with a fork. Seriously.

This seems incredibly messy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

twistedmentat posted:

loving Barry.

I think they should just lean into Kara being persistently incompetent at romance as an endearing character trait. Plus, that she doesn't need a romantic relationship to be fulfilled in her life, when she has so many friends/family that love her and support her. Also she may have some maturing left to do before she can handle romance stuff. Hiding who she really was for so long did a number on her, and she still habitually buries her feelings, even as people keep insistently telling her not to do so.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It would be a nice change of pace for a CW show to say that you can be personally fulfilled without a romantic partner. Kara just needs her friends and family, and a bad guy to punch every so often.

And I want to point out my cupcake sandwich comment was a joke because that silly thing keeps coming up in dumb life hack videos/pages as "you've been eating cupcakes wrong your whole life!".
It's on par with "cut the ice cream tub in half" suggestion.

Just take the top off and have some control fatty.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

I think it was more that it shamed Kara. Not that she suddenly likes him but that she really doesn't know him at all because she is as dense as lead.

Edit: not as dense as Barry Allen, but still.

Does this make Alex Bizarro-Kara since she can see right through her?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Episode was good except it teased Barenaked Ladies and didn't deliver.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Yer Burnt posted:

Back to the episode. LOL that poor Asian Agent trapped at the DEO with them. He never appeared in an episode before and he spent two thirds of the episode without anyone mentioning his name despite the angry accusations. I was so sure he was gonna die.
#1: According to iMDB his name is apparently Demos... no, I don't get it either.
#2: "Paranoid DEO agent with extended dialogue and actual reactions from main cast for all of one episode" is still a more significant role for a non-villain Asian male character (Asian-Canadian actor) than I remember in all of the MCU...

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Chortles posted:

#1: According to iMDB his name is apparently Demos... no, I don't get it either.
#2: "Paranoid DEO agent with extended dialogue and actual reactions from main cast for all of one episode" is still a more significant role for a non-villain Asian male character (Asian-Canadian actor) than I remember in all of the MCU...

Hogun of the Warriors Three would beg to differ

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chortles posted:

It's a mythology joke. They gave the panicked DEO agent a name that's a homophone for Deimos, the Greek god of fear :eng101:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a mythology joke. They gave the panicked DEO agent a name that's a homophone for Deimos, the Greek god of fear :eng101:
In the same season as Cadmus and Medusa featuring I see. :golfclap: Though my other name for him was "obvious holdover from Hank Henshaw's tenure".

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

I know someone was talking earlier how it makes comic-book universe sense for James to want to become a superhero because that's just what good people who want to be heroes do in these worlds, but it really doesn't make sense in a series that includes the likes of Alex and Maggie. If James doesn't want to be stuck behind a desk literally running one of the biggest and most influential conglomerates in the country, he can just as well apply for the DEO or a police academy.

It's doubly weird because earlier in the season he was bemoaning how Winn had found his rightful calling as a DEO agent but now they're making so that Winn's rightful calling isn't just to do helpful tech things in an office but also...doing the exact same thing...in a van...elsewhere.

The goalposts kinda keep shifting in order to make this plot functional and sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't.
I buy James' motivation for wanting to become Guardian, but I don't buy that he's actually able to pull it off. Non-powered heroes in the DCU basically have a prerequisite of putting in years on non-stop training they're driven to by some sort of trauma, James seemed to decide to become Guardian basically overnight. Even assuming years of experience running around with Superman and whatever fighting training he's had in his own spare time, I don't see him able to take on anyone with actual powers or skills. Which, granted, he hasn't yet, but I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before he's supposed to be helping Kara out. He should be getting stabbed or shot a lot more often.

Spatula City posted:

I think they should just lean into Kara being persistently incompetent at romance as an endearing character trait. Plus, that she doesn't need a romantic relationship to be fulfilled in her life, when she has so many friends/family that love her and support her. Also she may have some maturing left to do before she can handle romance stuff. Hiding who she really was for so long did a number on her, and she still habitually buries her feelings, even as people keep insistently telling her not to do so.
Also assuming they're following the comics, she (and Superman) are essentially immortal and unaging on Earth, which could be another roadblock for wanting to get involved in any relationship.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Knormal posted:

I buy James' motivation for wanting to become Guardian, but I don't buy that he's actually able to pull it off. Non-powered heroes in the DCU basically have a prerequisite of putting in years on non-stop training they're driven to by some sort of trauma, James seemed to decide to become Guardian basically overnight.

Have you seen Arrow? At least James has a supersuit.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Piell posted:

Have you seen Arrow? At least James has a supersuit.

Arrow is exactly why James should be dead a dozen-times over. Arrow's little cadre of cohorts is training extensively and still routinely get clowned on.

James is buff, but has no idea how to fight. He's been a photographer. They've never hinted that he had a kickboxing hobby or anything that would allow him to survive street fights. And obviously his super-suit isn't even bulletproof.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
Actually he mentioned back in the episode where his camera got broken that he has a black belt.

That's literally the extent of his training.

I want Oliver to travel to the Supergirl Earth just to clown Guardian all day.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Everyone knows you can't beat a karate man

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dracorion posted:

Actually he mentioned back in the episode where his camera got broken that he has a black belt.

Elvis Presley had a black belt.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aleph Null posted:

And did he ever lose to an escaped alien convict in a street fight? No!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If he can run Catco he can be a bad superhero. Why is Catco still in the show anyways?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aleph Null posted:

What did he have a black belt in? :confused:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Six Sigma, that's why he can run CatCo

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheat Loaf posted:

Karate.

http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures/elvis-presley-karate-black-belt.html

quote:

Elvis trained from 1970-1974 under Master Kang Rhee in Memphis, TN. He said Master Rhee had a good reputation and had come highly recommended by Ed Parker, his former instructor, of California. During the four year period under Master Rhee, Elvis, like all the other students, selected an animal title by which to be addressed in the training area. After first choosing Mr. Panther, that name was later changed to 'Mr. Tiger' because of existing political implications associated with the name 'Panther' at that time.
Elvis trained with the other students in a regular training session. Classroom discipline was so strict that Elvis was allowed the same freedom of training as the ordinary students without the usual press from adoring fans. Elvis was awarded 7th Degree Black Belt in 1973 by Master Rhee and on occasion had the opportunity, himself, to test and promote students of lower rank.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aleph Null posted:

Arrow is exactly why James should be dead a dozen-times over. Arrow's little cadre of cohorts is training extensively and still routinely get clowned on.

James is buff, but has no idea how to fight. He's been a photographer. They've never hinted that he had a kickboxing hobby or anything that would allow him to survive street fights. And obviously his super-suit isn't even bulletproof.

Yeah, while Oliver's sidekicks don't have the years of training that he has he does make a point to put them through a daily boot camp. And Arrow's actually more than once shown people like Laurel and Curtis struggling while the ones who excel like Diggle and Rene actually do have extensive background experience.

I don't mind James becoming Guardian but I do agree that its comical how he went from zero to rear end kicker without any transition.

But it doesn't bother me TOO much since they haven't really given him an opponent yet that his armor and gear doesn't theoretically give him the edge on. It seems like the way they're hitting Kara's concern so hard means they're going to go one of two ways. Either James helps her at a key point proving her wrong or he locks up against an alien or someone tougher and proves her right. I could see it going either way but I'd prefer the latter and then maybe James realizing that there's merit in slowing down and working with the DEO/Maggie.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, while Oliver's sidekicks don't have the years of training that he has he does make a point to put them through a daily boot camp. And Arrow's actually more than once shown people like Laurel and Curtis struggling while the ones who excel like Diggle and Rene actually do have extensive background experience.

I don't mind James becoming Guardian but I do agree that its comical how he went from zero to rear end kicker without any transition.

But it doesn't bother me TOO much since they haven't really given him an opponent yet that his armor and gear doesn't theoretically give him the edge on. It seems like the way they're hitting Kara's concern so hard means they're going to go one of two ways. Either James helps her at a key point proving her wrong or he locks up against an alien or someone tougher and proves her right. I could see it going either way but I'd prefer the latter and then maybe James realizing that there's merit in slowing down and working with the DEO/Maggie.

I do like that Arrow's Mr Terrific is like a super marty stu. Olympic decathelete, multi-disciplinary genius who is also a incredibly nice person. But he is a nice person so I do enjoy his character. Of the sidekicks, he's had the most development. Bad Dog or whatever is just a street punk and Rag Man has literal magic on his side. The other lady who betrayed them was getting secret trained by Prometheus.

And, yes, Laural was getting her rear end handed to her until she convinced non-Talia to teach her some moves.

Edit: Sorry for spoilers.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 13, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Haha, you learn something new every day.

Did William Shatner also have a black belt in something? I feel like I've heard he did.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aleph Null posted:

I do like that Arrow's Mr Terrific is like a super marty stu. Olympic decathelete, multi-disciplinary genius who is also a incredibly nice person. But he is a nice person so I do enjoy his character. Of the sidekicks, he's had the most development. Bad Dog or whatever is just a street punk and Rag Man has literal magic on his side. The other lady who betrayed them was getting secret trained by Prometheus.

And, yes, Laural was getting her rear end handed to her until she convinced non-Talia to teach her some moves.

Curtis has the most character development but to be fair he's also been around twice as long as the others. All his backstory was established last season before any of the other characters even existed.

But maybe we should cut down on the spoilers since yours has some fairly big ones. I'm not innocent either.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I want to see Supergirl vs Guardian. Don't care why. Maybe Kara gets Red Kryptonite'd again? That'd be fun.

Imagining it would look something like Barry's first fight with Savitar :allears:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
On one hand Guardian is nice because Jimmy in S1 was basically defined by his relationships with either Kara or Lucy - and now the show is on the CW, which itself is practically defined by having relationship crap all over the place, so it was a nice move. Plus it gave Mehcad Brooks something somewhat useful to do.

On the other hand it's mostly annoying in actual execution and poorly though out in terms of whether or not a photographer actually has the skills to do it. I hope it's leading somewhere interesting otherwise I'd really rather it get shelved for more alien/robot/whatever plots.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I basically give it a pass because the one clear flaw the show has is a complete and total inability to do anything with character work or storytelling outside of Supergirl and the DEO. So in the end its good that Wynn joined the DEO and James became a vigilante with him because otherwise I'd have to continue to pretend I give a poo poo about anything happening at CatCo since Calista Flockhart left the show.

Sorry, Snapper, but I literally forget you exist between scenes and it took me days to remember who Miss Tessmacher was after her cameo on Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hi Lex :buddy: