Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I don't even want to show my archfey warlock player this UA for fear that he'd tell the rest of the party to piss off and just go solo the rest of the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kurieg posted:

They can change the saving throw once per rest but they've got infinite flexibility on damage types forever.

Well if we feel that is too strong we can bring that up in the survey. This is still playtest stuff after all.

koreban posted:

I don't even want to show my archfey warlock player this UA for fear that he'd tell the rest of the party to piss off and just go solo the rest of the campaign.

How so. The Invocations are pretty cool. But nothing overpowering.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 13, 2017

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's better then it was in all editions other then 4e. And the martial are still very solid. Like they are never going to be useless.

I'm really curious what you're doing or how you're playing that a Rogue and Fighter aren't eclipsed by the other flavors of martials & casters after a few levels.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Generic Octopus posted:

I'm really curious what you're doing or how you're playing that a Rogue and Fighter aren't eclipsed by the other flavors of martials & casters after a few levels.

Well one of my players Rogue is hiding and sneak attacking to deal large amounts of damage while taking advantage of fast hands to use extra items in battle. His high stealth has also allowed him to pretty much go undetected everywhere and find out a ton of info through scouting.

Hell the rogue currently has the highest kill count in battle. Ahead of the Paladin, Revised Hunter Ranger and Tempest Cleric.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Rogue gets to do fun stuff both in and out of combat, they might not be as effective as wizards but they aren't boring. At least for me.

Pity the fighters though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MTV Crib Death posted:

This is my ruling when I DM. One-and-done checks. Your character doesn't know how well you, the player, rolled. If a thief tries to pick a lock and fails, he'd think "this one is above my pay-grade." Likewise when the beef boy can't bust down the door, the wispy elf isn't going to throw himself against it. The elf doesn't know the beef boy's player rolled a 2. The elf would think "That must be one motherfucker of a door."

When I pick locks, I keep trying until I get it because I can feel where I slipped off the pin or whatever, and know I can do better. Sometimes the same practice lock will take 2 mins and sometimes 15 (I'm not very good yet). If I was trying to get into somewhere important, I'd definitely try for a while before giving up.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well if we feel that is too strong we can bring that up in the survey. This is still playtest stuff after all.

How so. The Invocations are pretty cool. But nothing overpowering.

This guy has a pixie-like companion for story reasons and once while on a ship that was being boarded by pirates he had his pixie cast Fly on him, flew up 100ft, had the pixie then cast polymorph on him to turn him into an elephant. He landed on the deck of the pirate ship, took 10d6 damage, broke through the top of the deck into the hold, and proceeded to charge and gore the mast and ribs of the ship until it started to flood. Once the pirate captain and first mate came down to kill the rampaging elephant who was sinking their ship, he dropped polymorph, cast expeditious retreat or misty step back to his ship and they sailed of while the pirates frantically tried to save themselves from their sinking warship.

He's really clever like that and loves to do the wacky poo poo that is just so cool it has to work.

Now he'd have the invocations for poo poo like never sleeping, slow things he hits with eldritch blast, +2d8 force damage bow attacks, maximize healing, heal others when he crits eldritch blast, underwater breathing and fast swim speeds...

It's not super overpowered stuff, but for a guy that clever and devious, it's got some poo poo in there.

e: especially since my campaign features an inland sea that the setting sort of revolves around. Lots of watery stuff, pirates and the like.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Hello D&D thread! I have a very fun group with a great DM that it took me years to find after moving across the country. It's real delight. I want to take some weight off of my DM and run a game every other weekish, but I too am busy and would like to run one of the premade adventures. Which ones are good? Anyone have a list of what DM's Guild or third party content is worth its salt?

I'm playing a Goblin Ranger Beastmaster in the current game (level 2, so not really a beastmaster yet). He is obsessed with pigs and is amazingly fun to play-- in some ways a combination of Old Man McGucket, Usidor the Blue, a feral cat, and Beavis.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Level 2 Shatter but it's necrotic damage and takes a charisma save.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WerrWaaa posted:

Hello D&D thread! I have a very fun group with a great DM that it took me years to find after moving across the country. It's real delight. I want to take some weight off of my DM and run a game every other weekish, but I too am busy and would like to run one of the premade adventures. Which ones are good? Anyone have a list of what DM's Guild or third party content is worth its salt?

I'm playing a Goblin Ranger Beastmaster in the current game (level 2, so not really a beastmaster yet). He is obsessed with pigs and is amazingly fun to play-- in some ways a combination of Old Man McGucket, Usidor the Blue, a feral cat, and Beavis.

I have a good deal of fondness for Curse of Strahd, Princes of the Apocalyse and Out of the Abyss. Storm Kings Thunder, and The starter adventure Lost Mine of Phandelver are also good.

Paramemetic posted:

Level 2 Shatter but it's necrotic damage and takes a charisma save.

Why bother with that Most things don't resist Thunder damage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WerrWaaa posted:

If you are playing Beastmaster I recommend asking if you can use the revised ranger version. It's simply better and more fun.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 13, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's better then it was in all editions other then 4e. And the martial are still very solid. Like they are never going to be useless.

is this actually true? the most pre-3e experience i have is installing bg2 once or twice and never getting past the intro dungeon but i was under the impression that casters were actually reigned in more and martial access to better armor/weapons + proficiencies actually helped them a lot in those days

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

If you are playing Beastmaster I recommend asking if you can use the revised ranger version. It's simply better and more fun.

Oh I certainly am.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WerrWaaa posted:

Oh I certainly am.

:)

Brother Entropy posted:

is this actually true? the most pre-3e experience i have is installing bg2 once or twice and never getting past the intro dungeon but i was under the impression that casters were actually reigned in more and martial access to better armor/weapons + proficiencies actually helped them a lot in those days

Well in BG it's kind of harder to aim spells to avoid allies. And they still take over the game. Though Guys like fighters are still useful.

(game is still super fun.)

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

It's better pre-3.x, yes, although Thieves were pretty weak overall and casters still dominated at high level. Whether it was better then than it is in 5e is debatable, 5e is better in some aspects and worse in others.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Wanting my Boar to scale better with level when I finally get one, is it too much to ask the DM to have the Charge and Resilient features use a formula? Replace Charge DC with 10 + Str + Prof and the Resilience damage cap become 5 + HD? On a similar note, barding for a pig... should I really have to pay 4x? Seems excessive.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Brother Entropy posted:

It was apparently better in 2e because fighters got a whole bunch of fringe benefits to make up for their deficiencies in the magic areas. But it was definitely the case in 3.5 pre Bo9S.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I always think I can't respect Mearls less as a designer and then some new UA comes out.

First it's a Wizard better at Cleric spells than a Cleric. Because he studied super hard.

Now a Wizard that outflexes the Sorcerer, because he studied super hard.

Dude just needs to write an RPG about a Wizard school so D&D can get a real lead.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Spiteski posted:

New Warlock and Wizard archetypes. In today's Unearthed Arcana, the Wizard becomes a better more versatile sorcerer than the sorcerer.
Warlock Raven Queen and Hexblade archetypes, Raven Queen seems nice, but Hexblade seems lacking.
Also a good selection of Eldritch Evocations for the new, and old Archetypes.

The one mile range on every spell with range 30ft+ and the ability to use any spell in the game once per day seems unbelievably broken. Just off the top of my head-

quote:

Alchemical Casting
When you cast a spell with a spell slot, you can expend one additional spell slot to augment its effects for this casting ... An additional 2nd level spell slot can increase the spell’s range. If the spell’s range is at least 30 feet, it becomes 1 mile

quote:

Master of Magic
As a bonus action, you can call to mind the ability to cast one spell of your choice from any class’s spell list. The spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots, you mustn’t have it prepared, and you follow the normal rules for casting it, including expending a spell slot.

quote:

Animal Shape
8th Level. Range 30ft. 24 hour duration.
Your magic turns others into beasts. Choose any number of willing creatures that you can see within
range. You transform each target into the form of a Large or smaller beast with a challenge rating of 4 or lower. On subsequent turns, you can use your action to transform affected creatures into new forms.The transformation lasts for the duration for each target, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

When I pick locks, I keep trying until I get it because I can feel where I slipped off the pin or whatever, and know I can do better. Sometimes the same practice lock will take 2 mins and sometimes 15 (I'm not very good yet). If I was trying to get into somewhere important, I'd definitely try for a while before giving up.

This makes sense from an 'in universe' perspective but makes very little sense from a mechanical one.

First, you have to ask yourself what a lockpick check represents - is it a single attempt, or is it several? The Dm running the game must ask himself - is it important that the character succeed? Is it necessary for the game to continue? If so, we shouldn't be making a check in the first place, or the check needs to represent something else - such as how long it takes for the check to succeed.

If you're making rolls there needs to be some drama behind it or else there's no point. I usually only allow re-checking if there's some tangible resource being consumed, such as time (this is why Fallout and Skyrim literally break your lockpicks when you fail). Of course if even a passingly competent thief is making checks with no time pressure he probably shouldn't be able to fail anyway except against the most serious locks.

Considering mechanics only from the perspective of the character is misleading because the two are not a 1-to-1 representation and actually change from moment to moment. A damage roll can wound, or it can represent endurance attrition. A knowledge check can represent specific information or helpful insight.

This also goes for intra-party multichecks. Like, sure, logically everyone can try to pick the lock on a door or chest, but the failure to do so is rendered meaningless by the randomness of the d20. In a system where most DCs are in the teens and most modifiers are between +2 and +8, the d20 is the biggest contributing factor to any roll. Multiplying that attempt by the number of party members makes individual distinctions created by the skill system nonexistant. Who cares if the Barbarian is 'the strong guy' if statistically the rest of the party is more likely to succeed collectively than him alone? Who cares if the Wizard is a master historian if, when he fails, the rest of the party will just roll until somebody knows the relevant details? There are times where it is better to allow several checks, or to allow people to attempt things in pairs, than single rolls, but the fact remains that outsourcing stuff to the party just lets you hit the d20 well a few more times and that means a very high chance of success.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why bother with that Most things don't resist Thunder damage.

It's true actually, good point. I guess you could avoid breaking all kinds of equipment that way.

Actually is that true? Does Shatter break things because it's thunder damage, or does it break things because it's Shatter?

Were I DM I'd change it to ignite things with fire, or apply cold with cold damage, etc. but I wonder if that's the "right" way to do it?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
So is it just me or did someone decide that paladin/warlock was too common so the solution must be to give warlocks their own divine smite? Because now they have divine smite but better if you go pact of the blade. Except it doesn't do radiant damage which is an obvious down-side given how powerful radiant damage is against common enemy types such as fiends and undead.

edit: oh wait, my mistake they get radiant damage too. At range. With a bow.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 13, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

WerrWaaa posted:

Wanting my Boar to scale better with level when I finally get one, is it too much to ask the DM to have the Charge and Resilient features use a formula? Replace Charge DC with 10 + Str + Prof and the Resilience damage cap become 5 + HD? On a similar note, barding for a pig... should I really have to pay 4x? Seems excessive.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask your DM to improve the ancillary abilities of your animal companion. In fact, your suggestions would be quite agreeable to me if you were in my game. As for the barding, I would argue that it should cost more because what blacksmith would ever make barding for anything but a horse? And since you animal companion gets to add its proficiency to its AC, you run the risk of making your boar nigh untouchable. The idea of a boar in plate mail barding is hilarious to imagine though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Looking at two options for Adventurer's League -- either a kenku monk or some kind of war cleric. Any thoughts/suggestions either way? And if I were to go war cleric, is there anything fun in Volo's/SCAG/EEPC that would add some zazz to it?

Basically I just wanna fight people and have neat utility and tricks and both of those look a fun way to go.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Razorwired posted:

I always think I can't respect Mearls less as a designer and then some new UA comes out.

First it's a Wizard better at Cleric spells than a Cleric. Because he studied super hard.

Now a Wizard that outflexes the Sorcerer, because he studied super hard.

Dude just needs to write an RPG about a Wizard school so D&D can get a real lead.

He's just really stuck on the idea that Martials are inherently bound by physical reality while Casters are not.

So a fighter maxes out at "Bruce Lee", where you are at the absolute physical peak and cannot exceed it (except in rare, brief spots), while Casters can shatter dimensions and essentially never stop gaining power until the moment they die.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Looking at two options for Adventurer's League -- either a kenku monk or some kind of war cleric. Any thoughts/suggestions either way? And if I were to go war cleric, is there anything fun in Volo's/SCAG/EEPC that would add some zazz to it?

Basically I just wanna fight people and have neat utility and tricks and both of those look a fun way to go.

The cantrips in SCAG may work for clerics, But I have not checked.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I was running Storm King's Thunder and there's a DC 20 chest in the starting town. Lockpicking a chest while there's no time pressure sounds like a reasonable time to take 20, but that's kinda boring and why was the chest even there with no encounter? I may just not do stuff like that any more, since why was there a lock, but I thought that was a particularly strange one. (I said rolling a 1 would break his tools and made him roll until he passed but still.)

The other option would be to say like, one attempt and that's it, or one attempt and that's it until a long rest (to uhh, re-approach the problem with a beginner's mind.)

Of note, I'm actually preparing to run this campaign myself, and while it's been a little bit since I read all of Chapter 1, are you talking about the chest in the castle in Nighthold? because if I recall not only was there a [/spoiler]trap in that room[/spoiler], but also guards who would be with the party that would tell them off for trying to mess with it. I would definitely not give them infinite time to dally in that situation.

Unless I'm completely wrong about where the chest is but I believe I remember reading about a hard to open chest and being like, what a tease.

Tags added to ward off anyone who is looking to be a player in said campaign, or has a passing interest.

Subjunctive posted:

I think the point that people are trying to make is that the roll encapsulates a time frame that you're not accounting for. Let's say you're trying and cannot get it for 10 minutes, that's because you rolled a 2. Will you be as confident after trying for a half an hour that you can do it still? ( say you get another roll in? )

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 13, 2017

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Vengarr posted:

He's just really stuck on the idea that Martials are inherently bound by physical reality while Casters are not.

So a fighter maxes out at "Bruce Lee", where you are at the absolute physical peak and cannot exceed it (except in rare, brief spots), while Casters can shatter dimensions and essentially never stop gaining power until the moment they die.

Which would be fine, if breathing on a caster made them shatter in a similar manner. Glass cannons are fine as long as they crack every once in a while.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

Updated OP with disclaimer about Zak S which hopefully will stop any future discussion on the topic:

And I'm following this up with a new thread rule: No More Arguing Or Discussing These Events In This Thread. Take It To The Industry Thread Instead, Where Such Arguments Are Expected.

You need to include Pundit as well. And it's "trans woman", not trans women, as well as that other people on the forums were harassed. Mikan just got the worst of it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Of note, I'm actually preparing to run this campaign myself, and while it's been a little bit since I read all of Chapter 1, are you talking about the chest in the castle in Nighthold? because if I recall not only was there a [/spoiler]trap in that room[/spoiler], but also guards who would be with the party that would tell them off for trying to mess with it. I would definitely not give them infinite time to dally in that situation.

Unless I'm completely wrong about where the chest is but I believe I remember reading about a hard to open chest and being like, what a tease.

Tags added to ward off anyone who is looking to be a player in said campaign, or has a passing interest.

Nah, it was the owner's gear in the inn. For some reason my players decided not to bother with the keep.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Nah, it was the owner's gear in the inn. For some reason my players decided not to bother with the keep.

Well poo poo! Yeah that is asinine. I'll take note of that though! Thanks for the info.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

The cantrips in SCAG may work for clerics, But I have not checked.

They're for sorcerers, warlocks and wizards. An Arcane Cleric could pick some up but those guys didn't look too exciting to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Well poo poo! Yeah that is asinine. I'll take note of that though! Thanks for the info.

Please post about your campaign when you start. I'd kill for someone's notes all the way through, though I found some blog that has a nice writeup. No clue how my players are gonna do the fight with 3 giants and 2 wolves in bryn shandar where they each control an npc - that seems like a confusing clusterfuck and a recipe for [N]PC death.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

Not really.

Fighters own in 2nd and 1st ed. They're arguably the best class at early levels, drop off a little at 5-6 but don't ever suck, and then turn into if not the best, then definitely top tier after level 9. Assuming you're playing by the rules. Someone mentioned "fringe benefits" earlier. There's a stack of fighter-only magic items in, and a most or maybe all of the make-you-better-at-fighting stuff is either fighter specific or fighter + thief/cleric/both specific. Also as a minor fringe benefit the fighter attracts a small army.

Paladins are always OK, and get more OK if your DM's not a dick. Rangers are pretty much middle of the road.

Only fighters, rangers, and paladins ever get more than one attack per round. Fighters (only fighters, not multiclass fighters, not paladins, not rangers) can get weapon specialisation, which gives them bonus hit/damage and even more attacks/round.

Thieves are poo poo if you compare them level-for-level, but they level up faster than everyone else by a long way. They're still never great but if you're going to compare them do it by xp total not character level and you'll be surprised how much less poo poo they look.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Please post about your campaign when you start. I'd kill for someone's notes all the way through, though I found some blog that has a nice writeup. No clue how my players are gonna do the fight with 3 giants and 2 wolves in bryn shandar where they each control an npc - that seems like a confusing clusterfuck and a recipe for [N]PC death.

Yeah Giants are dangerous. I would give warning to the players about that.

Also I must say I really like the Giant customization options in the back of the book. Make each type of giant a little more different from each other. So I have all Giants equipped with them by default now. They some more of that stuff in Volo's and They should totally do the same thing for dragons in a later book. As 5e Dragons are way too similar right now and stuff like that would help.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Brother Entropy posted:

Monsterenvy has no idea what he's talking about. Pre-3e is basically an entirely different game due to spell interruptions and movement being entirely different. That's without getting into attacking , defense, etc etc etc

That being said rogues are also essentially an entirely different class from pre-3e. I don't like pre-3e rogues very much but I also dislike 5e rogues even more. I just absolutely hate classes that try to avoid taking damage in melee (so monks too), maybe it's a personal preference.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mastershakeman posted:

I don't like pre-3e rogues very much but I also dislike 5e rogues even more. I just absolutely hate classes that try to avoid taking damage in melee (so monks too), maybe it's a personal preference.

Yes I think it is.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I will definitely, we a finishing book one of a PF adventure soon, then switching to me dm'ing for SKT for a change up for a few weeks, then it will be weekly PF, with a weekend day D&D, so it will be slower progression.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I would recommend against kenku anything in AL.

AL can be fun if you want to run a gimmick build like a Tabaxi monk with Mobility and just flit around the field giving the rogue advantage on anything he wants.

You run into literalists in AL who will expect you to conform to RAW, for everything. It's tightly controlled play setting, and it only allows you to choose from a single auxillary resource aside from the PHB. So you can get Volos, or SCAG, or EEPC, but not more than one.

For clerics, I enjoyed playing with a nature cleric that took Shillelagh and a quarterstaff, polearm master and sentinel.

I didn't have reach, but anything that came at me got bopped and stayed put. I was able to use my Wis modifier for attack and damage rolls, allowing me to focus on wis/con for stats and group buffs. It wasn't particularly "effective" but having spells like Meld Into Stone, Control Water, and Stone Shape along with Detect Magic and Locate Item made for some fun non-standard solutions to AL dungeon and encounter puzzles.

e: Dampen Elements is also a fun little reaction ability for encounters. Once-per-turn resistance to magical damage from common sources is super useful.

koreban fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Agent355 posted:

I do genuinely love 5e but man the martial caster balance in this game is just all sorts of out of whack.

As someone who genuinely enjoys just playing a weapon collection/martial type character. My three campaigns of D&D 5e I've played had me playing Cleric (War Domain), Bard (Valor School) and 1 Fighter/everything else Wizard to let me play a 'fighter' while actually still being able to contribute successfully. My fighter/wizard kinda derailed the campaign a bit as I wanted to play a 4e warlord and did so by playing a necromancer wizard with an army of skeletons and used that as my army i was healing and buffing. Game gets a bit nuts when my attack action is 'I cast a big aoe buff and my 30 skeleton archers shoot arrows'.