Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

duomo posted:

if only he had heeded a confederacy of dunces

he did, they were the ones that told him to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jabor posted:

did they solve the dust problem yet?

yeah, just use this method to clean your discs first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGgiCwWsktk

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pro-click

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
those are super bad for your records fyi

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay how about an apple watch?

Meh.

...for gamers.

*gets funded instantly*

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/717828519/gameband-the-first-smartwatch-for-gamers/

lol they brag about taking out all the healthy parts to save space for a SD card for your roms or w/e

like, the whole reason you get a smart watch is for the health stuff and now its just a watch that runs out of battery fast

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

those are super bad for your records fyi

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why don't you guys get CDs already

or better, MP3s

leave the analog-to-digital conversion up to the pros

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
oh yeah, love those expertly-mastered 2000s-era cds

can't get enough of that clipped audio

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJoo7Tgjr8U

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jabor posted:

oh yeah love those expertly mastered any era records. can't get enough of that horrible response range, crushed dynamics, and the recording that's literally damaged in the act of playback

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

vinyl inherently sounds like poo poo and anyone who claims otherwise is an idiot

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

vinyl is kinda charming, but lol at physical media

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

my only physical media is vinyl. i use my player when i have company whose pants I want to get into. I like to think it plays its part.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
pity gently caress

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

records are cool and good but I'm not going to argue they are the best sound reproduction system available

it is nice to come home and not have to deal with computers to play music, it's v. relaxing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sniep posted:

lol they brag about taking out all the healthy parts to save space for a SD card for your roms or w/e

like, the whole reason you get a smart watch is for the health stuff and now its just a watch that runs out of battery fast

like the owner will ever be far from usb ports

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

minivanmegafun posted:

records are cool and good but I'm not going to argue they are the best sound reproduction system available

it is nice to come home and not have to deal with computers to play music, it's v. relaxing

lol if your house ai doesnt secretarially take music requests

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sniep posted:

do people actually use smart watches to track "real" health stuff tho. i thought most of them just had like an accelerometer they used to track steps and maybe a heart rate thing that kinda works kinda doesnt

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

minivanmegafun posted:

my friend did a whole year of new analogue music, i think.

like just buying & checking out on physical media

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 11, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fishmech posted:

do people actually use smart watches to track "real" health stuff tho. i thought most of them just had like an accelerometer they used to track steps and maybe a heart rate thing that kinda works kinda doesnt

they use them so other people think they are tracking health.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

My phone automatically connects to my stereo when I walk in the door and keeps playing whatever I was listening to earlier

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Agile Vector posted:

lol if your house ai doesnt secretarially take music requests

lol if you listen to music with pronounceable names

"Alexa, play bronchusevenmx24"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

if that was a thing i would walk into all houses shouting bananaphone

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
records are fun, i have some. . . most my music is done via airplay streaming through the house.

sometimes it's fun though when you have 3 or 4 friends over, a few who dig bins for weird oddities to sit outside, grill, and listen to a record.

granted my normal player is an audio technica lp120usb, puts out normal stereo to my receiver for the listening, and has usb going into the macbook so I can rip all those records for later sampling.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Microsoft already made a gameband https://www.amazon.com/Gameband-Now-Computing-MC0802L-Minecraft/dp/B00RAB0J0S

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

I wonder how hackable these things are

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay how about an apple watch?

Meh.

...for gamers.

*gets funded instantly*

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/717828519/gameband-the-first-smartwatch-for-gamers/
you know they never actually say you can play games on the watch but i don't think gamers will pick up on that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

you know they never actually say you can play games on the watch but i don't think gamers will pick up on that

what? yes it does. they call out five whole atari games that will be "playable" at launch. $150 to play centipede on your wrist!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

what? yes it does. they call out five whole atari games that will be "playable" at launch. $150 to play centipede on your wrist!
"We'll be launching with these mini-games, with more to come in our stretch goals."

what part of that says you can play on the watch and not on the "PixelFurnace" desktop app. where is there a video of someone playing a game on the watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

"We'll be launching with these mini-games, with more to come in our stretch goals."

what part of that says you can play on the watch and not on the "PixelFurnace" desktop app. where is there a video of someone playing a game on the watch.
okay, yes, nowhere does it say "you can play these games on the watch" they only talk about playing games on the watch and have a gif of a game being run on the watch.

quote:

You can play games anywhere. A couple of rocks, a stick and some imagination, and you can game. Since the early arcade days, and later TV consoles, platforms, mobiles.....every time a new technology comes along people discover new ways to adapt it for gaming. So when people see a Smartwatch and say that 'the screen is too small' to game on....we just see lack of imagination.

so, sure, yes, they might be being exceptionally deceptive.

not that i'm defending the thing even if they're not, but i don't think that's the case here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

okay, yes, nowhere does it say "you can play these games on the watch" they only talk about playing games on the watch and have a gif of a game being run on the watch.

so, sure, yes, they might be being exceptionally deceptive.

not that i'm defending the thing even if they're not, but i don't think that's the case here.
what do you think they're using to control the game in that gif you just posted

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i get it, you think they are just being intentionally deceptive. it's fine. i don't really care either way because it's a massive pile of poo poo either way and lol at anyone who gets one

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

i get it, you think they are just being intentionally deceptive. it's fine. i don't really care either way because it's a massive pile of poo poo either way and lol at anyone who gets one
it is and you should definitely update the thread when yours arrives

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

it is and you should definitely update the thread when yours arrives

okay i will be sure to never do that then

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

hmm i could see having a watch with touch strips on the actual sides and 2 people could use the strips to play pong

i mean it would be gimmicky poo poo but for like 10-20 bucks it would be sorta cool

that kickstarter thing tho? lol

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

im just the ideas guy

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

what do you think they're using to control the game in that gif you just posted

nothing at the moment, which is why the ship goes out of control.

its probably just a normal android device though and it already has a touchscreen, so they'd clearly have you use lovely touchscreen controls where you cover most of the screen with your finger, which would look terrible on there

they'd probably also use a bit of tilt sensing, because of course they would.

evilcat
May 16, 2009
What is perfect if you have a pet? A phone controlled thing that spits toys at them and makes so much noise, even animals are not too interested in taking food from it.
It can dig a tiny scoop at a time from the catbox, shine a laser, shoot treats at them, not do anything autonomously and seemingly needs to be plugged into power to work.
The best part? It seems they modified one of these.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tbh anyone who puts money into a "i hate my pet" kickstarter should just have their pet taken away from them

what is even the point of owning an animal that you hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
IT'S THE EXACT SAME DOG ON BOTH SITES

• Locked thread