Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My first ever game as Hesse I got Burgundian Succession right after I got the HRE title. Love when that happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My luck just isn't stopping this run.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yolomancer posted:

Awwwww yeah!

Couldn't have come at a better time either, I honoured the call to defend Liege against Burgundy while I was still finishing up my war to vassalise the Livionian Order + take Riga + Neumark, then Burgundy's King dies.

I've never ever had that fire at the right time as Brandenburg despite playing that start a 100 times...Usually I ignore the HRE though...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I've never ever had that fire at the right time as Brandenburg despite playing that start a 100 times...Usually I ignore the HRE though...

I had it happen when I was playing the voltaires nightmare mod so the extra dutch provinces gave me a trillion bucks and i converted to zwinglianist soon after

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ah gently caress they are removing the "fugger" tag

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i hate when my allies join me when i promise them land and then every time i try to give them land they go "nah no thanks bro" and then bitch at me for not giving them the land they promised when i try to sue for peace

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That feel when the king of France sends a 300 man army to help you fight off the Andalusian muzz coalition.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been a bit HOI4'd out after playing it pretty much as my only game for the past few weeks. Think I'm going to dive into Stellaris and try and find out if it's actually good or bad.

Hopefully I don't die from insanity.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

wait for the next patch

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

wait for the next patch

The actual next free patch or do you mean Utopia?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

utopia will come with a free patch that'll add a lot of stuff, the expansion is a bonus really

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

stellaris will not be good next patch. maybe next year

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

wiz is making the next patch. he'll make it good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

wiz is making the next patch. he'll make it good.

I think with another DLC or two as big as Utopia it will feel like a full game. I remember thinking EU4 was dogshit until whatever DLC was before Art of War

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

EU4 needed a lot of dlc, i hated it at first too. wait a bit to see how the patches change thing up before jumping on stellaris

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked EU4 from launch but I also was living somewhere at the time without internet so I sat a library nearby for like 5 hours to download it and then played it offline for like 100 hours that summer.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
eu4 was always good and people who are saying otherwise are insane

paradox had exactly two games that were good at launch: ck2 and eu4. we will forever honor their memory

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you though for the input on Stellaris. I'm still going to dive into it and try and get a handle on things.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

utopia will come with a free patch that'll add a lot of stuff, the expansion is a bonus really

Oh wow, I actually didn't know about the Utopia expansion until seeing your post! Since I hadn't really been following the game, ever since I decided to shelve it until they release more mid- to late-game content.
Thanks - I might have to check it out once it releases, and see if it's finally good. (Well, I know it won't be fantastic like CK2 is yet, but I like the idea of Stellaris and Paradox's execution of it is good...it's just missing content compared to CK2/EU4, I feel)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HoI4 was good on release (as long as you played as a major)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Yeah, that's the problem with me; I tend to go for a random middle-power nation and try to build them up with the goal of eventually crippling a major power or two, through various means. (And those generic tech trees, etc. are a little off-putting)
Perhaps not the best strategy for a good, action-packed game compared to playing as Germany or the UK, but well, it does lead to a lot of interesting scenarios, like the US repeatedly nuking India and China, in addition to some of their own cities in order to prevent invading forces from advancing further! :D

(Although that being said, you've reminded me that I genuinely need to give HoI4 a go, at some point soon. I've owned it since November 2016, but haven't touched it yet...)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Coolguye posted:

if my human empire's name bank means anything actual white people were genocided sometime in the 2100s

this explains why we were able to reach space so quickly tbh

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

I feel like even playing as some of the minor nations in Europe the game was great on release. Same for some of Asia (eg. Siam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines). Africa/Middle East is super bland/boring for a lot of the build up though.

My Saudi Arabia game didn't really have anything happen until like 1943 other than building up and training troops.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

should i get hoi or ck2

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

should i get hoi or ck2

Both.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Ck2 will be far more feature-complete, so I reckon that would be the safe option. unless youre particularly interested in hoi's gameplay or historical setting

and i say that as someone who's biggest paradox game time commitment has apparently been in hoi4

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hmm i don't think i give two beans about medieval stuff. and ww2 is still cool, to me...

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

This is the guy that posted in Imp Zone about how he took over his WoW guild by epically trolling all the nerds and then used his guildmaster status to pound hot gamer pussy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This is the guy that posted in Imp Zone about how he took over his WoW guild by epically trolling all the nerds and then used his guildmaster status to pound hot gamer pussy.

That sounds badass tbh

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ah excuse me, i just got an idea for a new stellaris empire

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Stellaris thread is full of the most tedious retards imaginable and I want to knock all their heads together like the three stooges every time they make another multi page derail about what form space communism would really take, or how some thing they read in a sci-fi book once should be crammed into the game, or GlyphGryph whining for the fortieth time that elitist would be a better word than authoritarian, or whatever.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

yeah i'm being unfair to it. hoi4 is fine. not perfect, the naval combat is not great and the air war is actively war... but it's still fine.

The Stellaris thread is full of the most tedious retards imaginable and I want to knock all their heads together like the three stooges every time they make another multi page derail about what form space communism would really take, or how some thing they read in a sci-fi book once should be crammed into the game, or GlyphGryph whining for the fortieth time that elitist would be a better word than authoritarian, or whatever.

hm, sounds like someone made the mistake of reading the stellaris thread!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

read it... buddy, i post in it :twisted:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it is really bad though

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Awesome.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Stellaris thread got mad for pages because of a half assed "Make America Great Again" joke rather than shrugging it off and moving on until a wittier comment replaced the it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Though when I went to go look for those posts that guy's profile says he's a girl. And all the posts are in the Games map game threads. Do you got the right guy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think they meant the person odium is quoting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol it's this guy https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748321&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post460498002 I remember that post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
what? you're dumb

lol all the guns do no damage ok *goes back to killing 400+ cops on one map with a flamethrower that makes them die in an instant in screaming burning agony* oh look a bulldozer *destroys an entire room by firing an RPG, including killing teammates* man i think i will need to defend here a while *deploys a bipod machine gun and kills every cop in the county*

man i sure wish i was playing calladoody 591 where guns hurt *kills 4 cops with 1 shot from a .50 cal sniper rifle, gets cheevo for it* *does the same thing with a grenade launcher, gets another cheevo for it*

gee sure wish i could get a change of pace *plays mission where you race nukes past a gauntlet of cops* man even that isn't quite doing it for me *kills 5000 russians attacking a secret base from hardcore henry*

sure wish i could stand out from my teammates *switches from build that eats bullets like pez and destroys everything with a machine gun to a medic build that yells at people to get them up off the ground* hm still not different enough *uses sentry gun and flaming trip mine build instead* but i'm still even using armor i want to run around in a suit and murder a million people *clicks a button, now dodges bullets effortlessly and runs around like sonic killing everything with akimbo pistols, firing the pistols to the saturday morning cartoon beat*

there are a lot of reasons to hate paydude but really the only one here that isn't wrong as gently caress here is 'stealth sucks' which it does