Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Except maybe NPH. I feel like he's too in-on-it at the end of the movie. Or maybe it's the SS uniform that pushes things too far?

He's psychic, he got promoted to loving colonel, of course he's in on it. I assume he knows everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

He's psychic, he got promoted to loving colonel, of course he's in on it. I assume he knows everything.

Oh, sorry I think I was unclear. I mean the actor seems too aware that he's playing a space Nazi.

Or maybe that's the point, by the end of the film he's like all the other adult authority figures from the beginning of the movie who are played as completely over-the-top fascists. He's just taken a different route from his dead-eyed cannon fodder friends.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

just lol if you wouldn't find inherent fun in playing psychic SS officer

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PostNouveau posted:

RLM is spot-on on the excellent casting. Just dead-eyed smiling the whole time. It's such a loving creepshow. It's like the direction before every scene was "Smile like you just opened a birthday present you don't like, but you don't want to offend anyone."

Except maybe NPH. I feel like he's too in-on-it at the end of the movie. Or maybe it's the SS uniform that pushes things too far?

Michael Ironside is definitely in on the joke, as is Clancy Brown. Figures they're the two best parts of the movie.

My favourite scene in the film is at the grad dance and Ironside gives Rico advice. Notice how he reaches out to Rico with his remaining hand, the only time he does so in the movie, and tells Rico that the only true freedom someone has is the right to make their own decision. It's the only time Ironside's character breaks away from the dogma and offers something genuinely human. Any other time in the film, he either shoves his stump at people or pokes them with his robot hand. It's a really subtle thing but once you pick up on it you cannot unsee it.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
I get Starship Troopers, I just think it's a terrible movie. Like if I grant all the parts people want me to grant, that he hired dead-eyed stupid actors because that's the kind of characters he wanted... I mean that's like an art student who needs a hot girl in his film so instead of actually finding actors and directing them he just pays a hooker a few bucks. I can't really give Verhoeven any credit for that. That's Neil Breen territory, and I love me some Neil Breen films, but not in the way people seem to credit Verhoeven.

To be fair I think I just don't jive with Verhoeven. Like I get RoboCop, but at random the movie really doesn't need the acid melty guy. It's weird and out of place. I feel like a tiny dose of another director and some editing would make a truly great movie, but as-is it's just weird and it only stands out because it was an achievement for its time. Lots of the effects don't hold up for poo poo- most famous being ED-209. So I'm fine crediting the movie with what it did right. It had vision, it had some cool costumes and effects, but it's also real bad in spots, so to me it only stands out as a time capsule.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Michael Ironside is definitely in on the joke, as is Clancy Brown. Figures they're the two best parts of the movie.

Counterpoint: Highlander. Clancy Brown is both a goddamn badass, and also not taking the movie terribly seriously for most of its runtime. He's just best in those kind of roles.

Michael Ironside doesn't have to be in on the joke either. He's often cast to play total hardasses that get used to show how awful the military slash career veterans who lose perspective are, so he can just take the role completely seriously and know he's not acting in Unironic Mein Kampf or anything.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao wtffffffff even is this do u even have senses? like seeing and hearing etc?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

revdrkevind posted:

To be fair I think I just don't jive with Verhoeven. Like I get RoboCop, but at random the movie really doesn't need the acid melty guy. It's weird and out of place. I feel like a tiny dose of another director and some editing would make a truly great movie, but as-is it's just weird and it only stands out because it was an achievement for its time.

You should probably stop trying to analyze movies, you do not "get" RoboCop.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Starship troopers is amazing and i literally don't understand how anyone could dislike it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

revdrkevind posted:

Like I get RoboCop, but at random the movie really doesn't need the acid melty guy. It's weird and out of place.

Lol I bet you're one of those people that likes to brag that you've figured out what the suitcase in pulp fiction represents.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

revdrkevind posted:

I get Starship Troopers

No you don't.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Starship troopers is amazing and i literally don't understand how anyone could dislike it

:yeah:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, sorry I think I was unclear. I mean the actor seems too aware that he's playing a space Nazi.

Or maybe that's the point, by the end of the film he's like all the other adult authority figures from the beginning of the movie who are played as completely over-the-top fascists. He's just taken a different route from his dead-eyed cannon fodder friends.

I wonder if Verhoeven knew NPH was gay when casting him. Being a closeted gay actor playing that particular character certainly adds a layer of subtext to the whole thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:same:

As mentioned by other, better posters, it works well on a couple levels at least. And I am also surprised how well the effects hold up, especially the CG bits.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MrSlam posted:

They're probably up to their armpits in movies, but it'd be nice to see RLM talk about TV.

:golfclap:

If Starship Troopers were made in 2005 and not by Paul Verhoeven I wonder if it'd have been an overt part of the plot.

why the gently caress are you :golfclap:ing him you piece of poo poo

Milky Moor posted:

anyways, mods please rename me Starship Truther

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Talking about Starship Troopers and the upcoming Dune remake got me thinking about old 70's classic sci-fi novels. Lot of interesting stuff out there. Like I'm surprised nobody ever adapted The Forever War.

Wikipedia posted:

As of May 2014, author Joe Haldeman stated he believed the project was on its seventh draft of the script.
Oh no...

Wikipedia posted:

In May 2015, Warner Bros. won the rights to the novel and will develop the project with writer Jon Spaihts

IMDB posted:

John Spaihts - Writer - Prometheus
Oh no...

Milky Moor posted:

Cause Starship Truther is a witty phrase that I assume just got coined.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Didn't Ridley Scott have the film rights to The Forever War at some point? 10 years ago I would have thought that was a good thing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
starship truther is legit funny and i like

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Milky Moor posted:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Someone should post starship truther in the username thread, I will emptyquote it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao wtffffffff even is this do u even have senses? like seeing and hearing etc?

Almost my exact response but instead it was 'lmao is this thing even human?'

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

Didn't Ridley Scott have the film rights to The Forever War at some point? 10 years ago I would have thought that was a good thing.

That's a great book. Scott hadn't made a great film in ages though so I agree with you

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
ie: Forever War - it would be good to see someone make a blockbuster "war is pointless" movie, most true life war movies from the last while are "war is hell" movies instead

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Despite seeing Robocop 1 and 2 well before Starship Troopers, it's the first movie that I ever recall disturbing me with graphic over the top violence. I think it's because I didn't expect it at all and it starts right of the bat with a guy getting bitten in half.

I still liked it.

Also, I forget where I heard this, but didn't test audiences react negatively to Denise Richards' character for leaving Johnny and getting with the other guy, so they actually trimmed out most of the romance and leave their relationship at least somewhat ambiguous? i.e., they almost kiss but don't and then they're just kind of portrayed as a team. Anyway, I still didn't like her character, but I think that's because while everyone else is eating poo poo and experiencing the horrors that surround them, she's just flying spaceships and being happy.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Despite seeing Robocop 1 and 2 well before Starship Troopers, it's the first movie that I ever recall disturbing me with graphic over the top violence. I think it's because I didn't expect it at all and it starts right of the bat with a guy getting bitten in half.

I still liked it.

Also, I forget where I heard this, but didn't test audiences react negatively to Denise Richards' character for leaving Johnny and getting with the other guy, so they actually trimmed out most of the romance and leave their relationship at least somewhat ambiguous? i.e., they almost kiss but don't and then they're just kind of portrayed as a team. Anyway, I still didn't like her character, but I think that's because while everyone else is eating poo poo and experiencing the horrors that surround them, she's just flying spaceships and being happy.

From wiki:

quote:

Test audience reactions led to several minor changes before the film was released. Originally, it was clear that Carmen was torn between Rico and Zander. Test audiences, regardless of gender, strongly felt that a woman could not love two men at once, so scenes which portrayed this were cut. These audiences also felt it was immoral for Carmen to choose a career ahead of being loyal to Rico, to the extent that many commented that, in so doing, Carmen should have been the one to die instead of Dizzy. While admitting it may have been a bad commercial decision not to change the film to accommodate this, the directors did cut a scene from after Zander's death where Carmen and Rico kiss, which the audience believed made the previous betrayal even more immoral.[7]

I wanted Rico to get with Dizzy, obviously. And he would've if it weren't for those darn bugs.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Rico and Dizzy thing was weird. He won't even touch her until Michael Ironsides basically ordered him to gently caress her.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Where do I have to go to get to say things like "actually this character is immoral and should be first to die" in Hollywood.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like that they make Carmen so despicable. Dizzy is one of the few characters who feels somewhat humane in the film, following the Mobile Infantry not because of dogma but because she wants to be with Rico. She has a normal human motivation, and we like her. But, this is a society where being a normal human means you're not important, or you're dead, so of course she gets impaled.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like that they make Carmen so despicable.

WTF? She does nothing but make her own decisions. Do you think Rico deserves to have her just because he's a guy and has feelings for her? That's despicable thinking dude.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

starkebn posted:

WTF? She does nothing but make her own decisions. Do you think Rico deserves to have her just because he's a guy and has feelings for her? That's despicable thinking dude.

She is immoral and deserves to die. I work in hollywood see.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

One of the weird things about the animation of the bugs in ST is that some of it was done by Phil Tippet studios. After summarily being kicked to the curb by Jurassic Park, Tippet tried to integrate traditional stop-motion animation with the new CGI visuals. He took the typical ball jointed figure used as an internal support for stop-motion figures, attached custom-designed sensors to the joints, and fed that data into the animation program. So they could hand-pose the physical ball-jointed figure in the keyframes for the animation, and use that to drive the digital characters.

Obviously that was slow and cumbersome as hell, and they even tried doing "live recordings", where there'd be six animators with their hands on the figure, moving the body and limbs in real time. I don't know if the animation they did actually ended up in the film, but I have a feeling it was one of those situations where the practical effects guys hand off their work to the CGI guys, and the CGI guys go "Oh.... thank you, I guess?" and then promptly toss that work in the trash and do everything 100% digital. Amalgamated Dynamics full-size bugs were kept around for some shots, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that Tippets animation data was never actually used.

And now Tippet remains the most bitter effects guy in Hollywood.
Huh didn't Tippet stay on Jurassic Park to help the CGI animators; him getting beat by CGI did lead to that great Malcolm line when Grant said they were out of a job.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The weirdest thing from the book (which I didn't read) that seemingly got left in the movie was a part where one of the spiders actually rapes a female soldier and then in the movie we see the girl who wants to get pregnant dragged off to a hole in the ground but not murdered for some reason by one of the spiders.

That and everything else I've heard about Heinlen definitely makes me sure he's some kind of sex pervert. I did try reading Stranger in a Strange Land but I just couldn't get into it at all, which is too bad because most my friends think it's a great novel.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

revdrkevind posted:

To be fair I think I just don't jive with Verhoeven. Like I get RoboCop, but at random the movie really doesn't need the acid melty guy. It's weird and out of place.

And why did King Kong trash NYC and climb up the Empire State Building and get shot down by planes. Totally out of place!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The weirdest thing from the book (which I didn't read) that seemingly got left in the movie was a part where one of the spiders actually rapes a female soldier and then in the movie we see the girl who wants to get pregnant dragged off to a hole in the ground but not murdered for some reason by one of the spiders.

While Heinlein is definitely a sex pervert* this never happened in the book

*not that there's anything wrong with that if it's not kids

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That and everything else I've heard about Heinlen definitely makes me sure he's some kind of sex pervert. I did try reading Stranger in a Strange Land but I just couldn't get into it at all, which is too bad because most my friends think it's a great novel.

It's his only good book, and even in that, Space Jesus is a polygamist.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Going back to the planetary defense system, my take on its failure to intercept the asteroid was just another sign of the military boondoggles we see almost non-stop through the whole movie. They spend a ton of time and resources on building a big, impressive planetary defense network, and of course it doesn't actually do anything. It's like Reagan's missile defense system, or the various projects to prevent terrorism after 9/11.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

starkebn posted:

If you're a Clarke fan don't look into this kind of stuff :smith:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Speaking of movies based on classic SF, has anyone seen The High Crusade? It's based on an a Poul Anderson novella about a medieval English village that takes over an alien spacecraft that lands in their field, and ends up founding a Holy Roman Space Empire. I remember it being pretty cheesy when I saw it as a kid, but I wonder how it holds up.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

starkebn posted:

Huh. I wonder where the gently caress I got this from. Probably something someone else in GBS posted once.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there any good feminist theory on Starship Troopers and how even though the future is fascist as hell there's literally no men questioning women as commanding officers OR grunts, although women are objectively conquests for the dumber males like Rico who still struggle with the idea of blind unquestioning fascism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
If you guys are a fan of watching Best of the Worst style movies at home, you should try to track down Nail Gun Massacre. It's amazing. Highlights include actors obviously reading off hidden scripts, stuntmen corpsing, male and female nudity, and some of the worst fake nails you'll ever see. It's amazing.

• Locked thread