Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Then you haven't been paying any attention. Objectively, Democrats are engaging in heavier amounts of obstructionist and resistance to Trump than Republicans did to Obama

that's not really true in an objective sense as the republicans were being obstructionist for no reason (the president being black or being a democrat isn't a valid reason). obstructing awful poo poo is doing your job as a politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I can't believe I'm about to defend Rall, but, based on the complaints in that cartoon it seems to be a response to Democrats' approach pre-Sessions and DeVos where it very much seemed like they were just going to roll over and rubber stamp everything rather than making the GOP earn it. Even now I think one could lob a complaint about their lack of visible, determined opposition to the extreme proposals the Republicans are floating. Calling the Dems out on their lack of proper initial response is worthwhile.

Now, in like a month from now if he's still beating this drum given the shifts that are occurring, yeah, call him out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SomeMathGuy posted:

I can't believe I'm about to defend Rall, but, based on the complaints in that cartoon it seems to be a response to Democrats' approach pre-Sessions and DeVos where it very much seemed like they were just going to roll over and rubber stamp everything rather than making the GOP earn it. Even now I think one could lob a complaint about their lack of visible, determined opposition to the extreme proposals the Republicans are floating. Calling the Dems out on their lack of proper initial response is worthwhile.

They were never going to roll over and rubberstamp everything. This is completely disjoint from the policies and optics involved. When Trump's people put up his appointees, they intentionally started with ones that had high levels of support. Matthis is a great example of this. The whole point was that if Democrats voted en masse against Matthis, they would have both lost support among Matthis's broad support base. In addition, it would have let the Republicans use the nuclear option and revise rules earlier. This would have removed all formal capacity by Democrats in the Senate to do anything to resist anything. The Republicans have majorities in both legislatures and the executive. There is no form of resistance the Senate Democrats can muster other than the brief period of additional press coverage they will get when Republicans freeze them out entirely. This is, coincidentally, why two Republican senators voted against DeVos- to delay that moment and present the illusion of internal debate.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Now, in like a month from now if he's still beating this drum given the shifts that are occurring, yeah, call him out.

You appear not to be familiar with Rall. He will never stop beating this drum. If he was going to, he would have done it years ago. Leftist autocannibalism is all he does.

Cat Mattress posted:

Let's hope they continue. The only way to prevent Trump from committing unrepairable damage to the USA is by pretty much preventing him and his administration from governing.

But at the same time it's okay if the discourse (and therefore the public opinion) is that they aren't doing enough to obstruct. Alternative facts are how the game is won nowadays; let the Democratic Party be a force of obstructionism while presenting the alternative fact that they're incredibly accommodating.

All this "alternative facts" narrative does is further ennervate Democratic party support, and civic engagement generally. There's a reason Rall comics were showing up a few pages back with "Sputnik News" appearing in the corner.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 13, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pants Donkey posted:

I'm glad Rall made a cartoon with agreeable content. Now he just needs to improve his anatomy, perspective, panel construction, joke writing, coloring, shading, and he'll be a good cartoonist!

Well, a better cartoonist at any rate.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Breaking Pawlitics:

Also, if you were looking for a painterly left-wing cartoonist, Michael D'Antuono has you covered:

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Shangri-Law School posted:

Breaking Pawlitics:

I still have no idea if this is a real thing or not. Maybe I don't want to know.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
People are really defending Ted Rally? Jesus christ

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There are a million cartoons like this and I am sure there will be a million more, but I am still really not clear on what happens if Trump is raving nuts, everyone around him knows it, and he demands to access the nukes.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are a million cartoons like this and I am sure there will be a million more, but I am still really not clear on what happens if Trump is raving nuts, everyone around him knows it, and he demands to access the nukes.

He gets access to the nukes. The checks and balances are literally "don't elect a loving lunatic, like, make really sure you don't." Enjoy!

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Man I fuckin love Dees. His stuff is always so delightfully crazy

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

The system is still far from automated, so there's a fair amount of room for people in the chain to mutiny and disrupt the process. This NYT article has some interesting background on steps that were quietly taken towards the end of the Nixon administration to make sure he didn't end humanity in a drunken rage.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SomeMathGuy posted:

I can't believe I'm about to defend Rall,

Then you probably shouldn't.

Leaving aside how opposite of reality it is, and his "Dems totally love Gitmo" horseshit, the criticism for allowing a smooth transition of power to take place is just Rall being the height of a Rally idiot. Like, is he claiming Dems should have just declared martial law and ignored the election results?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NRVNQSR posted:

The system is still far from automated, so there's a fair amount of room for people in the chain to mutiny and disrupt the process. This NYT article has some interesting background on steps that were quietly taken towards the end of the Nixon administration to make sure he didn't end humanity in a drunken rage.

This is why I always disagree with people who try to mock the nuclear launch system for being outdated. It's dependable, it's secure as all hell through obsolescence, and more advanced tech would just remove more human layers that can prevent Armageddon.

The number of times the world would have ended if the Soviets had been able to use technology to bypass just one guy...

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Let's be fair, the US has had its fair share of false alarms too. Like the time they left a training program in the NORAD computers. Or that one time the moon rose.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
No argument here. However, the Soviet example is the most clear cut example of a guy getting all the info that says to attack, but he just wouldn't do it where a system absolutely would have.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

LoL, that's Swedish actor Robert Gustafsson in old-people make up from one of his more recent movies, they couldn't even get a real old man.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like if people feel the need to write out the process for firing nukes, or are discussing how nervous they are about a certain person having them, then maybe they shouldn't be given to that person in the first place? Maybe that's just me.
Redpanels is the new Tinsley. I just feel like they are both just following the path of least resistance and don't really want to take the effort to actually think about the issues. Mix that with a lack of empathy and you have this kind of "common sense Republican" that never really change because if you bring up anything outside of black and white they smugly wave you off for "overthinking things" and consider that a POSITIVE trait. Like, they both write something lovely, stupid, and easily rebutted and consider the amount of corrections they receive as proof that they're really getting at those stupid Liberals therefore they win, THEY are the clear thinking tough guy for sticking to their guns while Liberals are weak kneed children always thinking instead of acting. I just feel both ooze that kind of insincerity and a lack of real beliefs.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

• cub scout patch on bs uniform
  • no sanctioned pins are worn on the right pocket
  • modified HJ-trump symbol traditionally worn on left pocket
  • no ring

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That aluminum is... reducing an ester! Oh the humanity!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
is Animal Nuz still around, or did Trump's election give the anthropomorphic cat at heart attack?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Sandpuppy posted:

Happy Valentines Day!

You little poo poo you're in it now, I hope they throw away the key. You should have talked to me more often than you did, but no!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

You would think that this man would be in favor of things like the EPA, which limits heavy metals that cause brain poisoning, but I suppose he simply views them as tools of the Jewish, sorry, I mean globalist agenda.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sir Tonk posted:

is Animal Nuz still around, or did Trump's election give the anthropomorphic cat at heart attack?

The artist is still active, but they went on a break til they can figure some poo poo out.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
3 parts per million might sound insignificant, which I assume is Dees's point -- "look how little it takes to destroy minds!" -- but it's really a lot, especially when you're talking about air.

I'm not familiar enough with the cartoonist to know if they intend this to be a good or bad thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm not familiar enough with the cartoonist to know if they intend this to be a good or bad thing.

It's a completely unrelated to the thing that actually happened thing.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

I misread this at first and thought Dan was being reasonable. NOPE. Bible literalist.

Pretty sure the first human was the non-gendery binary, Adam.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vib Rib posted:

Dana Summers is a Branco-level shithead, so now you know.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Yes please

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Dana Summers is a Branco-level shithead, so now you know.

I love how hosed up you have to make this cartoon thinking everyone will agree with you

I'm invoking death of the author, now it's a good cartoon :getin:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Then you haven't been paying any attention. Objectively, Democrats are engaging in heavier amounts of obstructionist and resistance to Trump than Republicans did to Obama, to the point where a cabinet position needed Mike Pence to break the tie, which has never happened before.

I disagree completely. They can do a lot better. Like Joe Manchin voting for loving Sessions. Or Gorsuch's nomination

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 14, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Do I need to pull up the Republicans who voted to confirm Obama's cabinet? Again, objectively more obstructionist.

And they have been obstructing Gorsuch. What, you think Dems have a magic wand they can wave to stop him even being considered?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

The artist is still active, but they went on a break til they can figure some poo poo out.

someone said something about them taking a break in order to be more active in their local politics which is p. cool and good

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

SSNeoman posted:

Like Joe Manchin voting for loving Sessions.
I don't think you'll get any argument that Joe Manchin sucks, but you can't really blame the party as a whole for that. A crucial thing is that only Manchin has defected on any of the the recent cabinet votes, which is a marked change from the pre-immigration ban situation where a few others were breaking ranks as well. Add to that things like the walk-out and the protest over Warren, and the Senate Democrats seem to be holding up their end as best they can now. I think it's as important to acknowledge and encourage that as it is to pressure them to keep doing it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Lefty is just trying to do his job while he's on camera for some loving reason and he doesn't appreciate Righto's sarcasm.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Someone please edit in the inscription on the Statue of Liberty.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MageMage posted:

Pretty sure the first human was the non-gendery binary, Adam.

Depending on who you ask, Eve may have not even been the first woman. But she was apparently born from one of his ribs so best case scenario is that Adam essentially committed masturbation to produce Cain and Abel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

• Locked thread