Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Hm, looks like my Framemeister got a bit angry about this new 4K screen (Samsung KS7005) and messed up the auto sync settings, causing tearing and judder and all that fun stuff. Manual sync fixed that, and now everything is looking good. I'm not noticing any extra input lag either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I respect the opinion on the Sega Saturn stick I bought, but for ten dollars, it kicks all kinds of rear end when playing stuff like Parodius.

Honestly any stick is better than a pad for arcade ports, for 10 bucks it's totally worth it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Doc Morbid posted:

Hm, looks like my Framemeister got a bit angry about this new 4K screen (Samsung KS7005) and messed up the auto sync settings, causing tearing and judder and all that fun stuff. Manual sync fixed that, and now everything is looking good. I'm not noticing any extra input lag either.
Is this the old XRGB-mini or the one that came out in January of this year that supposedly is meant for 4k?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 12, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The old Mini, yeah. I didn't even know there was a newer one.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
Does anyone have any recommendations on reducing/eliminating CRT whine? I know in a couple years I'll be old enough to lose that frequency of hearing, but as it is I have to give the unit a little tap on the side every hour or two to calm it down. Before any of you call protective services yes it's a PVM but it's honestly just a tap not a Fonz hammer fist.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Doc Morbid posted:

The old Mini, yeah. I didn't even know there was a newer one.
It's definitely a relevant topic for me as someone who doesn't have a 4k TV yet, but could maybe see myself forced to get one down the line if the next console generation goes heavily in on it. The issue then is of course how much worse the upscaling is in such a set going from 1080p to 2160p, whether it's adding any lag or just straight up looks worse. In your case it seems like you're all set.

XRGB-minis are still going for like $500 (:stare:) on ebay so people are still rushing on this after they ceased production. I'd love to hear some detailed impressions of the new XRGB before I'd jump in on that but it's awfully tempting as-is. I guess if I were to do that (and get a 4k set of course) then it'd actually be better to put my UltraHDMI through the XRGB to upscale it 2x, assuming the scaler in that is still better than the TV's.

E: You know I'm actually not sure if the 4k one is out yet. I'm mostly just going off of some dicussions in here back in Autumn.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 12, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

My TV handles the 1080p to 2160p upscale quite nicely and the image looks sharp and clean, the main thing I noticed was that I really need to buy some C-sync RGB cables for my systems. :v:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Social Dissonance posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on reducing/eliminating CRT whine? I know in a couple years I'll be old enough to lose that frequency of hearing, but as it is I have to give the unit a little tap on the side every hour or two to calm it down. Before any of you call protective services yes it's a PVM but it's honestly just a tap not a Fonz hammer fist.

To my knowledge, that's just the way CRTs are. I never thought tapping would do anything. That comes to me as a surprise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Whoever designed the Aquadome Gladiator fight in Headhunter is a loving bastard in need of a severe beating.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Social Dissonance posted:

If it's the transformer for the high current side of things, you could probably reduce it by covering the transformer in new hot glue. Usually noises like that are just transformers getting loose due to age.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elliotw2 posted:

If it's the transformer for the high current side of things, you could probably reduce it by covering the transformer in new hot glue. Usually noises like that are just transformers getting loose due to age.

This is the opposite of every other "globs of hot glue" advice in this thread.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It is a standard practice for that sort of thing. Nothing Drakon-tier, though.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
I did notice that moving my speakers father away from the set helped. I thought they were shielded, but even if they were, moving them away helped significantly.

I'd rather not spray hot glue around on random things, but if it gets too bad I'll consider it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

If you can get it, there's the various waxes and silicone sealant they used on older TVs for the transformer that will work nicer than hot glue. Sometimes it'll be listed as "potting material" or "high voltage insulator adhesive".

It's what people who restore old TVs use professionally, and will last longer than hot glue.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

Honestly any stick is better than a pad for arcade ports, for 10 bucks it's totally worth it

Disagree, especially the Saturn pad. Source/disclaimer: lifetime thumb-pilot.

Why are the buttons on that stick so hilariously small?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Disagree, especially the Saturn pad. Source/disclaimer: lifetime thumb-pilot.

I spent my entire life using pads at home and then I became an adult and realized playing arcade games without a stick is mad uncivilized :smugdog:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

NICE! But boo on not posting pics of it working and in action!

This reminds me that I should bust open the Extron 7SC I've got and see if it has any jumpers like that inside of it.

Finally took a few pics of duo RGB->RGB Switcher->Component Converter->Toshiba CRT.

Cell phone pics seemed to agree most with colourful stage 3.

Also this game is pissing me off and simultaneously being awesome.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Ofecks posted:

They're actually not that small! What you may be thrown off by is the GIGANTIC ball-top.

The ball on the right is for the NES Advantage.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/831098536913620993

These were outtakes for a reason, I guess.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

shoulda took out the rest too

e: just having a pretty decent variation of max man buried in the middle of this 5 minute sea of other sor3 sounding garbage is really funny to me

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 13, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mmmmmm just got my SD2SNES ship notification. Now I just need OSSC to get off its rear end :getin:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Finished Ys III on the SNES a couple of nights ago. It's not bad but has the look and feel of an 8-bit game ported to a 16-bit system. Makes sense I guess since it originally came out in '89.

I ended up cheating with the debug code because that last boss is seriously tedious. Just glad I didn't bork the game entirely because I'd initially tried the invincibility code on the SNES Game Genie and it screwed up the latest save such that the graphics in Redmont were a jumbled mess. Like I've heard that a Game Genie can ruin your games but I'd never seen an effect linger after it was removed like this, and never seen anything so bad with an official code vs just punching in random letters and seeing what happens.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not a retro game at all but if you haven't already give Oath in Felghana a try, it's a re-imagining from the ground up on Ys III and is far superior. It's probably my favorite Ys title.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Finished Ys III on the SNES a couple of nights ago. It's not bad but has the look and feel of an 8-bit game ported to a 16-bit system. Makes sense I guess since it originally came out in '89.

I ended up cheating with the debug code because that last boss is seriously tedious. Just glad I didn't bork the game entirely because I'd initially tried the invincibility code on the SNES Game Genie and it screwed up the latest save such that the graphics in Redmont were a jumbled mess. Like I've heard that a Game Genie can ruin your games but I'd never seen an effect linger after it was removed like this, and never seen anything so bad with an official code vs just punching in random letters and seeing what happens.

It is remarkable how much better the 3D remake of 3, Oath in Felghana is and no wonder they remade it. The original felt like they were cribbing Zelda 2 with transitioning to side-scrolling from top down and it just doesn't feel right. (Granted Adventure of Link took it much better)

e: if anything it is almost as if Ys III started out as a Sorcerian game.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Finally got around to installing my N64RGB. I'm going to be really proud of myself once it's all working correctly, but part of me wishes I just paid someone more talented to do it for me. (*cough* Monitor Burn *cough*)

My console has the kind of DAC that requires the separate adapter. Those solder points are tiny! I got it to the point of testing out, and I guess I have a bridged connection somewhere. I get an image, but it's... weird. Not sure how to describe it. All the colors are there, but it's definitely not right.

Guess I finally have a need for a continuity tester!

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
It's like you managed to make your N64 output video in GIF format.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Quiet Feet posted:

The graphics are actually worse on the PCE-CD version (lol that scrolling), but definitely take a listen to the soundtrack. It's really amazing. There's also a MD version, but I've never played it and I don't like Ys 3 enough to do so.

Seconding the Oath in Felghana, great game.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

the fabled bukkake64 edition

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Alucardd posted:

It is remarkable how much better the 3D remake of 3, Oath in Felghana is and no wonder they remade it. The original felt like they were cribbing Zelda 2 with transitioning to side-scrolling from top down and it just doesn't feel right. (Granted Adventure of Link took it much better)

All of their other games at the time were side scrolling, so they thought it was a good idea i guess.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Nate RFB posted:

Not a retro game at all but if you haven't already give Oath in Felghana a try, it's a re-imagining from the ground up on Ys III and is far superior. It's probably my favorite Ys title.

It's more the best Action RPG PERIOD. Ys Origin is also drat good but it really wants you to do multiple playthroughs to get the whole story. And honestly PSP is hitting retro now. Time is loving flying by in spite of the world being a gently caress.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Both those games are on Steam these days.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RZA Encryption posted:

Finally got around to installing my N64RGB. I'm going to be really proud of myself once it's all working correctly, but part of me wishes I just paid someone more talented to do it for me. (*cough* Monitor Burn *cough*)

My console has the kind of DAC that requires the separate adapter. Those solder points are tiny! I got it to the point of testing out, and I guess I have a bridged connection somewhere. I get an image, but it's... weird. Not sure how to describe it. All the colors are there, but it's definitely not right.

Guess I finally have a need for a continuity tester!

I just got my N64 back from Monitorburn, and showing the same results. He is a professional, so I know it not his fault, but what is causing this?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ofecks posted:

The graphics are actually worse on the PCE-CD version (lol that scrolling), but definitely take a listen to the soundtrack. It's really amazing. There's also a MD version, but I've never played it and I don't like Ys 3 enough to do so.

Seconding the Oath in Felghana, great game.

It's not only the graphics but the gameplay even feels kinda basic even for an early 16-bit game. Most of the bosses have ridiculously simple patterns. The second boss in the quarry is literally stuck in place. And Garland can be beaten by just slapping on the invincibility ring, standing in front of him and holding the attack button. You won't even run through half of your ring power doing that. I don't mean that to sound like I'm just complaining, it's just not a strong point to the game.

Wow, looks like a lot of endorsements for Oath in Felghana. I'll have to take a look some time. I never got into the Ys games back in the day and looking back I'd guess that it's because it seems like they kept jumping from system to system. Think I've been hesitant because the few videos I've seen of the early games remind me of Hydlide.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Absolutely would recommend any of the Ys games on Steam. They're still not perfect - sometimes you'll level up once and a boss will go from unbeatable to a joke - but they're really fun and polished experiences.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Ys 3 feels like an 8 bit game because it IS an 8 bit game. poo poo, it's not even the last game Falcom made for the PC-88/98/MSX first.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here the N64...I have no idea what wrong.

Can't be the deblur, as it was more subtle then making everything look like a photoshop filter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Quiet Feet posted:

It's not only the graphics but the gameplay even feels kinda basic even for an early 16-bit game. Most of the bosses have ridiculously simple patterns. The second boss in the quarry is literally stuck in place. And Garland can be beaten by just slapping on the invincibility ring, standing in front of him and holding the attack button. You won't even run through half of your ring power doing that. I don't mean that to sound like I'm just complaining, it's just not a strong point to the game.

Wow, looks like a lot of endorsements for Oath in Felghana. I'll have to take a look some time. I never got into the Ys games back in the day and looking back I'd guess that it's because it seems like they kept jumping from system to system. Think I've been hesitant because the few videos I've seen of the early games remind me of Hydlide.
The good news is that you won't have to worry about boss difficulty being low in Oath, because man can it be rough at times. My only gripe with modern Ys games is that none of them are nearly as challenging as Oath or Ys Origin, due to a myriad of gameplay changes made over the years. All still great, though.

Really running the gamut of any of the Ys titles on Steam is a good time. All have tons of modern updates implemented by the localizers that actually make them run better than they did at original release. Ys I & II are the oldest games on there and therefore the roughest around the edges, but they still look pretty nice (it's a PC re-release from 2000 or so) and well if you've gotten through original Ys 3, I think you'll be fine.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Really running the gamut of any of the Ys titles on Steam is a good time. All have tons of modern updates implemented by the localizers that actually make them run better than they did at original release. Ys I & II are the oldest games on there and therefore the roughest around the edges, but they still look pretty nice (it's a PC re-release from 2000 or so) and well if you've gotten through original Ys 3, I think you'll be fine.

I thought the Ys I & II version on steam was a port of the PSP version. It does have a 2000 PC port mode, IIRC, but that was an optional setting.

Question: is Ys 1 & 2 the game with the most official ports? Especially if you include the pre-1990 versions where they were packaged separately. I think the only platforms since 1986 that haven't gotten a version of the games are the SNES and Genesis...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 14, 2017

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Alucardd posted:

It originally wasn't an Ys game. Falcom used Adol as a placeholder for the intended hero, but for some reason he stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

I thought the Ys I & II version on steam was a port of the PSP version. It does have a 2000 PC port mode, IIRC, but that was an optional setting.

Question: is Ys 1 & 2 the game with the most official ports? Especially if you include the pre-1990 versions where they were packaged separately. I think the only platforms since 1986 that haven't gotten a version of the games are the SNES and Genesis...

Wizardry 1 would be up there too. Of course I am betting Pac Man and Tetris and maybe Space Invaders are the top 3 in some order.

Of course all of them are very very good games and even some of the remakes or weird rear end ports have a lot of value to them. Atari 800 Pac Man is fantastic. Atari 2600 Space Invaders is pretty much the first console Killer App. Tetris basically made the Game Boy plus got a lot of parents playing on an NES.

Honestly in some cases the ports beat out the original. Stock Space Invaders is loving DULL IMO. Arcade Pac Man is utterly destroyed by Ms Pac Man. Tetris' parent machine is probably the worst version. Original Wizardry 1 is kind of poo poo and is vastly superior on the NES or Commodore 64 for era versions, and the 68000 Mac version or JPN Win 9x Llygamyn versions own face overall.

Ys1 I am good with the PSP port though the Turbografx CD is still quite playable. The SMS version is a grindy slog though. Heard bad things about the DS version.

• Locked thread