Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

MiddleOne posted:

How would a nuclear power plant even catch fire? It's just huge bunker made of steel and reinforced concrete housing big pools of water with locked and isolated security doors up the whazo. I don't really see how office supplies or the break room catching fire could ever actually pose a threat to operations beyond the immediate inconvenience.

It doesn't. People don't understand nuclear power except in the context of nuclear bombs and automatically assume that a nuclear power plant will explode.

While conveniently forgetting that even a perfectly fine coal plant operating exactly as intended will spew more radioactive material into the atmosphere in a far, far more dangerous dust form.

I would rather live next door to a nuclear power plant then within 50km of a coal plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just to make it clear, I was joking with that post.

Why won't anyone use smilies to indicate when they're not being sincere anymore :negative:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

YF-23 posted:

It could've been dealt with in a worse way. The point is that stuff there shouldn't catch on fire in the first place.

Alright, first order of business for the fire-proof break room: No power outlets and nothing than runs electricity!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just get rid of breaks altogether! I mean why would nuclear power plant workers need to well rested and focused to prevent... Oh.

EDIT: This is a very silly topic.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
It is silly, off topic and devoid of serious arguments.

Don't force to go to the other thread and steal their derail bird.

VVVV well.... I think you are right and I was mistaken. Spoke too fast. While I try to return this bird, please, guys, try to debate better.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 11, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dawncloack posted:

It is silly, off topic and devoid of serious arguments.

Don't force to go to the other thread and steal their derail bird.
Is it really off-topic? European energy policy is one of the most important issues on the continent, with major implications for our collective security.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cat Mattress posted:

You've got to cut costs where you can, where it doesn't matter -- such as maintenance. And labor! Look, if you replace trained and qualified employees by temp jobbers from some Eastern European country that don't know the language and can't read what's on the documentation and signposts, then you can save up so much on labor cost. And labor cost is the antichrist, so every reduction of it and intrinsically cool and good.

The moronic Eastern Europeans running nuclear power plants, oh wherever will the world go next :magical:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

YF-23 posted:

If you can't trust a modern first world country to run NPPs then you can't trust anyone to run NPPs.

Uhm, we are talking about France right?

As for the fire - They clearly had procedures for exactly this situation. There clearly was no threat in anyway to reactor safety so why would you need to over-engineer a break room that is fireproof?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

YF-23 posted:

It could've been dealt with in a worse way. The point is that stuff there shouldn't catch on fire in the first place.

That's not a "point" that's a useless complaint. Food and papers and the associated stuff tends to be a bit flammable, and you can hardly expect all the paperwork and the employee lunches to be done completely off site.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Jean-Claude Juncker just said that he won't seek a second term (he'll still be around until November 2019 though).

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Just assume any groups against nuclear power are Russian controlled. And you'll be right.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

So he still has time to change his mind.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Just assume any groups against nuclear power are Russian controlled. And you'll be right.

Buy VVER. Russian Quality.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Private Speech posted:

The moronic Eastern Europeans running nuclear power plants, oh wherever will the world go next :magical:

You don't need to be moronic in order to not be able to read a language you didn't learn.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Cat Mattress posted:

You don't need to be moronic in order to not be able to read a language you didn't learn.

This is stupid enough statement that I don't even know how to answer.

Just to be clear, we are talking about people running nuclear powerplants here?

Presumably knowing French is in the job description. I mean it's not some tinyass backwoods language, it's .... well, French. And France famously requires you to know French to do much of anything, hell even as a tourist your life is much easier if you know French.

I'd maybe see a point if we were talking about like, Sweden, or Denmark. But even then, why single out Eastern Europeans specifically, rather than just any foreigners?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Private Speech posted:

I'd maybe see a point if we were talking about like, Sweden, or Denmark. But even then, why single out Eastern Europeans specifically, rather than just any foreigners?
Cheap, qualified and plentiful - and importantly, European?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
At least it's not his wife eh?

Maybe we need a strong, independent anti-corruption unit in the EU that is not beholden to anyone because this starts to really annoy me.
https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/830697213974032385
https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/830711694712147968

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Maybe we need to string up every single politician and live in independent self-sufficient and self-managed agricultural communes

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lets all move to dithmarschen and fight the nobles

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Maybe we need to string up every single politician and live in independent self-sufficient and self-managed agricultural communes

Agriculture was the beginning of everything that is wrong with politics today. To truly be free you need to go further, and live in the woods hunting squirrels and eating roots.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

doverhog posted:

Agriculture was the beginning of everything that is wrong with politics today. To truly be free you need to go further, and live in the woods hunting squirrels and eating roots.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Let's string up every single politician but leave the oligarchs that buy them wholesale, I'm sure the next batch will prove to be incorruptible ubermensch.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Cheap, qualified and plentiful - and importantly, European?

Qualified Eastern Europeans aren't necessarily cheap though, at least when they have to move to and live in France.

Admittedly where there's not a shortage of employees it's often the only way to get a job offer.

I dunno it rubs me the wrong way, replace it with Mexicans and the US or something and I'd find it kinda racist TBH.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

MeLKoR posted:

Let's string up every single politician but leave the oligarchs that buy them wholesale, I'm sure the next batch will prove to be incorruptible ubermensch.

whoa

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

Silly man, of course the abolition of capitalism and the stringing up of all capitalists, administrators, bureaucrats, police, fascists, and kulaks was an obvious given.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Private Speech posted:

Presumably knowing French is in the job description.

Turns out it wasn't! For the managers who took that decision, they figured that someone didn't need to know the language in order to scrub the floors (never mind that nuclear power plant maintenance actually involves a little more than a mop).

Private Speech posted:

Because the instance I've heard about involved Eastern European workers (mostly from Romania and Bulgaria) as maintenance personnel. This could tell you why, I think.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Cat Mattress posted:

Turns out it wasn't! For the managers who took that decision, they figured that someone didn't need to know the language in order to scrub the floors (never mind that nuclear power plant maintenance actually involves a little more than a mop).

Because the instance I've heard about involved Eastern European workers (mostly from Romania and Bulgaria) as maintenance personnel. This could tell you why, I think.

I don't know about which incident you are talking about, sorry. Could you post a link?

Regardless that seems more like a regulatory fuckup than anything. Presumably your cleaning staff should be qualified/certified to handle dangerous situations if there's a chance of something like that (whatever it was) happening.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 12, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Now he gets it

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Private Speech posted:

I don't know about which incident you are talking about, sorry. Could you post a link?

Nope, heard of it through my brother who works in energy distribution infrastructure.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/831172828833660928

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Chill out Pol Pot

I like the first part though

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
laydeez n' gennelmen, we officially have Schulz-mentum!
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/831292493480226817
His return to domestic politics has had a waaay bigger impact than I'd expected. On those figures, you'd just need a couple more points to make an SPD/Green/Left coalition theoretically workable.

I'd say that realistically it's just going to be another grand coalition, possibly with the SPD in the leading role rather than the CDU/CSU, but then a month or so ago I'd have said that realistically there was no way Merkel was going to fall behind so...

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 14, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
:laffo: now it's Fillon's spokesman's turn! He's being investigated for tax fraud. This is delicious.
http://www.leparisien.fr/politique/fraude-fiscale-enquete-preliminaire-sur-thierry-solere-porte-parole-de-fillon-14-02-2017-6680991.php

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lol I was joking before but they are actually trolling at this point

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And he's screaming conspiracy too

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

LemonDrizzle posted:

laydeez n' gennelmen, we officially have Schulz-mentum!
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/831292493480226817
His return to domestic politics has had a waaay bigger impact than I'd expected. On those figures, you'd just need a couple more points to make an SPD/Green/Left coalition theoretically workable.

I'd say that realistically it's just going to be another grand coalition, possibly with the SPD in the leading role rather than the CDU/CSU, but then a month or so ago I'd have said that realistically there was no way Merkel was going to fall behind so...

And the AfD is stalled around ~10%. It's pretty great news for the establishment, Germany and the European Union.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

And he's screaming conspiracy too
Yeah it must be a conspiracy, all our politicians were replaced with loving cheats. Oh wait my bad, they are just dumb cheater; it's no conspiracy, it's le milieu.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
no the "conspiracy" and unfairness against them is getting actually caught, like Trump tweeting about leaks

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Speaking of conspiracies, are they loving trying to provoke riots right before the election? I mean, I usually hate conspiracy theories, but what the actual hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Forgall posted:

Speaking of conspiracies, are they loving trying to provoke riots right before the election? I mean, I usually hate conspiracy theories, but what the actual hell?

It's an enquiry led by cops, and will have little to no bearing on the actual enquiry led by the judiciary.