Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[thinking as hard as i can about sci fi stuff i've seen] it would be cool if there were um. an indian planet and you had to relocate them. and wesley gets angry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How far does terraforming tech go? Can I terraform every world/moonlet to match my home planet?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

oddium posted:

[thinking as hard as i can about sci fi stuff i've seen] it would be cool if there were um. an indian planet and you had to relocate them. and wesley gets angry

Only if there's a near-identical event where you relocate white people instead and it causes your fleet to rebel.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

How far does terraforming tech go? Can I terraform every world/moonlet to match my home planet?

No. Only habitable worlds, plus some barren worlds (like Mars) in Banks. Stellaris galaxies are really too large for everything to be colonizeable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Wiz posted:

Only if there's a near-identical event where you relocate white people instead and it causes your fleet to rebel.

if my human empire's name bank means anything actual white people were genocided sometime in the 2100s

this explains why we were able to reach space so quickly tbh

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

I have seen a "League of rear end in a top hat Empires" form in at least one game, but I think that might be kind of rare.

I've seen this happen with two federations in one of my games and it's hilarious because you know the assholes that now keep getting invaded are causing hilarious amounts of damage to the federation by making them lose entire fleets, just by me declaring a single war.

Wiz posted:

No. Only habitable worlds, plus some barren worlds (like Mars) in Banks. Stellaris galaxies are really too large for everything to be colonizeable.

I honestly like it quite a lot that most systems don't support colonies. It makes space feel more hostile and bigger, and allows for the 1000 star galaxy without bogging everything down. Endless space 80 star galaxy felt both bigger and smaller than the stellaris 1000 star one at the same time, and not in a good way.

Speaking of stars, is there a mod that adds binaries? I don't care if it's just a different star model, but binary (or more) systems are supposed to be pretty common and there are none in Stellaris.

e: Found two mods when googling, will give one a spin if either works with the latest version.

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 13, 2017

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

A bit late to the party but can I just say that introducing diplo points doesn't sound like a good idea? If you introduced a new abstract point system to feed alliances the most reasonable thing to do would be to have planets cost points in peace deals. You'd have a separate resource for diplo actions that some here call for that would be equally useful for fanatic purifiers. But I don't see how it would be an improvement to the current system.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Aethernet posted:

You can draw from them by hitting the randomise button in the ship designer

You're gonna have to find this loving button for me then because I've been looking for months.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Wiz posted:

Generally speaking, players are good at identifying problems but bad at identifying causes and solutions. As a game designer, you want to understand their experience but draw your own conclusions as to the reasons and solutions for the problems they're having. That doesn't mean every player suggestion for a solution is bad, of course, just that it pays to try and get to the root of things.

Just want to say that this really is a great dev ethos and I am glad you picked it at career creation.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wiz posted:

I'm kinda glad for this, not just because you could get overwhelmed with planets by the end of the game, but because it also keeps some variety in the galaxy.

Since the switch away from the 'planet wheel' to the current biome system I've found myself just terraforming everything to match my own species preference unless I happen to find another species I can take control of and early on and use them to expand as well. The gene modification tech usually comes too late in the game to be of much use since I often find myself researching terraforming techs early on and since I usually have more energy than I know what to do with it's not too hard to start switching things to what I want.

Would be nice if there was some variety in planet's appearances but I get that it could cause issues with things like 'what is this' at a glance. Or confusing players into thinking they're somehow different when it's only purely cosmetic.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

genericnick posted:

A bit late to the party but can I just say that introducing diplo points doesn't sound like a good idea? If you introduced a new abstract point system to feed alliances the most reasonable thing to do would be to have planets cost points in peace deals. You'd have a separate resource for diplo actions that some here call for that would be equally useful for fanatic purifiers. But I don't see how it would be an improvement to the current system.

You could just allow aggressive empires to spend their points threatening people for gifts or service or convincing them to join in on your wars or not defend their ally or generally just back off.

Plenty of diplomacy opportunities for purifiers, although I imagine most wont be focusing on whatever infrastructure you get involved with to generate more than the baseline unless they are really on the ropes and surrounded by tougher enemies.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Give us resources and we'll purge you last?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Wiz is cool and good and his jib is a pleasing shape.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Poil posted:

First, they came for the mushrooms and I didn't speak out - because I wasn't a mushroom. :v:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Wiz posted:

Sure, I get you. I don't think your feedback is completely unreasonable either. Diplomacy is a bit lackluster, it's just that we're going to have to come up with our own solution, not hamfistedly copy EU4. Really my point is just that one player feeling something shouldn't have a cost because they feel it shouldn't have a cost is kind of a nonstarter as an argument. It may ultimately be the sort of thing you should make a personal mod for if you feel that strongly about it.

Hamfistedly copy Star Ruler 2 instead! I feel so bad for those dudes. Brilliant game, no sales.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
can we get a co-op farm to manage while we manage our empire?? maybe a new tab under empire called "farm" that gives unique bonuses for the crops you grow

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mad Wack posted:

can we get a co-op farm to manage while we manage our empire?? maybe a new tab under empire called "farm" that gives unique bonuses for the crops you grow

ideally you would get additional empire-wide bonuses for engaging with the farm on social media, recruiting new farmers, taking surveys, etc.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

also lets take from T.O.M.E. (tales of maj'eyal not troubles of middle earth) and literally implement a stellaris irc chatroom in the lower left corner

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

an anomaly that is just distorted martin anward tweets in system view

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Libluini posted:

A question for modders: I have this weird issue where 2 guys out of 40+ can't see the portraits from my portrait-mod, any idea what could cause the portraits simply not to show up?

The guys in question already tried shutting down all other mods, even though a simple portrait+namelist mod shouldn't cause trouble. It still didn't work. Since I don't have this problem, it's kind of hard to find out what went wrong here. :confused:

Hey, I downloaded the mod and poked around in the files and it looks like there's no text file that tells the game to display the portraits. Does that help any?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

Hmmm, would we be able to house aliens in our barns and adopt something cute like a Blorg as a house pet?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mad Wack posted:

also lets take from T.O.M.E. (tales of maj'eyal not troubles of middle earth) and literally implement a stellaris irc chatroom in the lower left corner

go full dark souls and let other players invade your galaxy from theirs as the ultimate endgame crisis

(I actually kind of like this idea even though it's dumb and unworkable for a dozen reasons)

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
After reading this thread for a while I have to say that it's really impressive that Wiz has the patience to still engage with all of you :spergin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Grizzwold posted:

Hey, I downloaded the mod and poked around in the files and it looks like there's no text file that tells the game to display the portraits. Does that help any?

There are actually two files for displaying the portraits in that mod. Also, two guys out of 56 (as of now) have this problem. Why are the other 54 seeing the portraits?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

CompeAnansi posted:

After reading this thread for a while I have to say that it's really impressive that Wiz has the patience to still engage with all of you :spergin:

It's always nice when people drop by threads full of content and engaging in lively discussion only to post crap like this. Thanks for your contribution.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

CompeAnansi posted:

Given Wiz has been around on SA for a while, I'm not surprised tbh. But if you think this is bad, there's a lot worse types around CK2/EU4 on Twitter.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
seconding that. he was posting here before he got the Paradox job and the nationalist psychos on the Pdox official boards make this gang of idiots seem like a well mannered church choir.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Libluini posted:

There are actually two files for displaying the portraits in that mod. Also, two guys out of 56 (as of now) have this problem. Why are the other 54 seeing the portraits?

I haven't looked but earlier a goon mentioned if some of those portraits are taking up spots from the plantoid DLC. That would cause it to be invisible if those two guys didn't have it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Given Wiz has been around on SA for a while, I'm not surprised tbh. But if you think this is bad, there's a lot worse types around CK2/EU4 on Twitter.

He managed turn posting on the forums and wasting time on Twitter into part of his job... living the Goon dream. God speed, Wiz.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I haven't looked but earlier a goon mentioned if some of those portraits are taking up spots from the plantoid DLC. That would cause it to be invisible if those two guys didn't have it.

That's impossible, I grouped those portraits in their own species classes and added them in Mammals and Arthropoids. Plantoids are a completely different group altogether. And the names I used for species classes are 100% not names Paradox would use for their own portraits. So they aren't replacing anything in those two groups either.

Edit:

In fact, I don't have the plantoid DLC, so I'm pretty sure I don't even have the code block for the plantoid species group, so I wouldn't have been able to put portraits in there in the first place.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 14, 2017

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Rakthar posted:

It's always nice when people drop by threads full of content and engaging in lively discussion only to post crap like this. Thanks for your contribution.

Yeah, I'm sure having to continually tell people that this isn't EU4 and that they have different design goals makes for a real 'lively discussion'. I'm sure it's a blast for him.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Star Ruler 2's diplomacy mechanics are great. I'd love to see something like that for the galactic U.N.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Poil posted:

"Remember, Space Parrots, when I when I promised to purge you last?"
"That's right! You did!"
"I lied."

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wiz posted:

In that case I hope border pressure upgrades go a long way, because I've got a sea of stars with delicious resources but no habitable planets, and I can only afford so many frontier outposts :(

Edit: is there some long-running joke behind parrots having fishbowls or was that simply a product of dev whimsy?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Don't tell him about the parrot in fishbowl helmet joke guys

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
It's like ramen noodles, the food comes in a container

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Did the Goon Mod that everyone submitted species to ever get released? I submitted a bunch of races for it months back.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 14, 2017

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Working on graphic overhaul mods which don't match the point of the game are fun to do. Finally started experimenting with flag emblems today. Couldn't figure out gradients, so I just started making completely new sets of emblems instead of trying to sneak anything in.

It's too bad emblems can't just be recolored on their own using the in-game palette.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mr. Fix It posted:

"Remember, Space Parrots, when I when I promised to purge you last?"
"That's right! You did!"
"I lied."
That's the quote that came to mind as soon as someone said something about purging someone last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Rakthar posted:

I post in here pretty often, is it okay for me to post something like that? Because holy poo poo is he right.

• Locked thread