Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm about to re-open the 5E thread so you can stop posting about it here. I'd appreciate it if you didn't continue this in that thread either, I think we've had enough posting about posting for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So as someone who's been really interested in the system for awhile: how does the OSR-ness of Stars Without Number's basic game gel with the mounds of additional rulebooks for mass naval combat, cyberpunk stuff, military games, etc.? Or is my definition of OSR (just a cool relatively simple game without all the cruft) just flat-out wrong?

Does the stuff from the additional books play pretty seamlessly with the core book or does it just become super daunting?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The supplements don't really add a lot of "mechanics" at all. Something like 90% of the Starvation Cheap book is about describing what it's like to be in the military, how to add authentic flavor to a milwank-centric campaign, and generation tables on how to create militaristic NPCs, military missions, battlefield random encounters, and some additional milwank weapons.

There are mass combat rules, and maybe single-page simple rules on artillery fire, nuclear weapons and turn-by-turn resolution of an army's campaign progress in the game world, but the core of the game is still the same as in the book.

It really just a cool simple game without any cruft, but if you want the cruft to have been written for you, you pick up the books, and it still doesn't add too much mechanical material.

It's like if you were playing OD&D and you "supplemented" it by picking up a book on the Crusades so that you have a more detailed description of your town of Not-Antioch, rather than pulling something out of your rear end - you're still not adding a bunch of modifiers to an attack roll or adding lots of new classes, you just know that there are xxx number of NPCs in Masada of so-and-so level and equipment.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

The supplements don't really add a lot of "mechanics" at all.

I guess this is where I was confusing it with other systems that I'm more familiar with (FFG Star Wars) that just tend to add levels of crunch depending on your desire for it. Good to hear that SWN stays streamlined.

Is there any particular reason that it's not PBP'd much here, besides PBPs generally losing popularity? Like, is the system inherently difficult to run in an asynchronous forum setting, or is it just one of those games that really is just best when played in a swashbuckling live setting over beers and pizza?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

OSR games just aren't that popular here lately. I wouldn't object to a SWN game here on the forums, but I don't have the energy to run one right now since most of my creative output is currently focused on February's design contest. There's nothing particular about the rules that would prevent asynchronous gameplay like a PBP.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well there aren't a lot of them being run, but Kevin Crawford in particular is well-regarded. SWN is one of his books I really don't care for that much; in design terms I'd put Godbound and Other Dust at the top.

Running oD&D seems like a natural fit for PBP because, as I see it, a big problem with PBP is that people exhaust their enthusiasm in the character creation/campaign setup process. oD&D ain't having that poo poo. The problem is that in oD&D, everything except combat is resolved through conversation, normally in a very bit-by-bit way. Getting people to chatpost about dismantling a simple trap is also exhausting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Just from a read of the material, I found SWN's character creation just a little too heavy for my taste, what with professions and skills, though I accept that that's a natural part of the demands of the subgenre/setting.

I also found the depth and scope of the Tech Level system a bit too much, ranging from complete primitives to high-tech societies, though again, I know that that's part of the Traveller emulation that SWN does.

I probably should try giving it a full run before passing judgement, though I did use the splatbooks to generate missions for Traveller.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
How is Mutants and Masterminds? Might be doing a superhero game soon so I'm looking into picking that up. I read Masks and that's a little too specialized towards relationships and not general punch-man stuff.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

SunAndSpring posted:

How is Mutants and Masterminds? Might be doing a superhero game soon so I'm looking into picking that up. I read Masks and that's a little too specialized towards relationships and not general punch-man stuff.

You get a million points to throw at crunch and if that's your thing then you'll dig it. Sometimes the power scaling goes wack, like the time my super speedster punched a kryptonian into space on accident.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

SunAndSpring posted:

It's very good if you're down with a rules heavy-ish version of a game that ostensibly started as a d20 product. Very little of base d20 remains. Very much in the older vein of simulating everything about individual powers rather than painting with a broad brush. It's not as bad as Hero System but character creation will still take awhile. Actual play of the game is fairly quick once you get in the groove. Making up things on the fly is a bit of a chore but they do provide plenty of henchmen statblocks and such to help.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you want to go down the rabbit hole with M&M 3e, there's tons of supplements as well, from the individually short Power Profiles series (basically a how-to for various powers with examples) to various NPCs and locations as well as the usual adventures.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Speaking of OSR and PbP, I've been considering running a Labyrinth Lord game with the Solo Heroes rules here. Running a PbP game solo would do away with one of the main hurdles of PbP, i.e. being reliant on multiple people posting for the game to progress anywhere. Especially when combat breaks out PbP games tend to slow down to a crawl because you have to wait for each player to take their turn in order and that's when things usually start slowing down if people have different posting habits and times. Running a solo game would alleviate a lot of that, since even in combat it'd be a simple "I go, you go" affair.

Hell, make it even more simple and just let the player know the Hit Dice and Armor Classes of each monster so they can resolve their turns on their own, just telling you which mob of enemies they attack, rolling to attack, and then telling how many enemies they killed with their attack.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
How are the Labyrinth Lord rules? Are they anything like OSR?

Edit: vv thanks! vv

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 13, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

How are the Labyrinth Lord rules? Are they anything like OSR?

Labyrinth Lord is Moldvay basic D&D with some extrapolation in order to bring it up to high levels as the Moldvay basic game originally did not get its third and final volume. It has two pretty good supplements that add AD&D and OD&D classes, spells, and monsters, for people who want to play with stuff from those games using the Moldvay basic rules.

In general, what makes it better than Rules compendium basic is that the levels aren't so spread out and as such Thieves, while still awful, are no where near as bad as they are in the later set. Rules Compendium/Mentzer basic spreads out thief skill gains for 36 levels and in Labyrinth Lord/Mentzer they top out at 14th.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 13, 2017

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

It also gives Clerics spells starting at level 1 instead of making them wait until level 2, which I'm not sure how I feel about. On the other hand it gives Clerics something to do beyond turning undead at level 1, but Clerics are also graced with one of the quickest level progression schemes so they're bound to get their first spell pretty quickly.

Also, there's a free edition of Labyrinth Lord available, and the Solo Heroes rules are also free and they can be found easily by googling Black Streams: Solo Heroes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
IMO the best thing about Labyrinth Lord is actually Mutant Future, which is basically a version of Gamma World that is compatible with D&D Basic. (It seems most don't realize how different the editions of GW are from each other, and from D&D.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah pretty much the only versions of Gamma World that are compatible with their contemporary version of D&D are fourth edition and seventh edition which is the one that uses 4e mechanics (only technically compatible). Fifth edition was Alternity, and sixth edition was White Wolf doing a D20M game. I'm not even positive about fourth.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I like Mutant Future but I have one major problem with it, namely the fact that the combat charts work exactly like in B/X. Monsters use their HD to determine how well they hit whereas PCs use their level. Vanilla Mutant Future generally has tougher starting characters so monsters generally have more hit dice as well.

What this means is that monsters will generally hit the PCs really often at 1st level whereas PCs will whiff most of them time.

Besides that, yeah, it's great, and I love the fact that it's pretty much 100% compatible with Labyrinth Lord and has rules for introducing mutants into LL so if I wanted to offer psychic plants as a character class in Labyrinth Lord I could.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah pretty much the only versions of Gamma World that are compatible with their contemporary version of D&D are fourth edition and seventh edition which is the one that uses 4e mechanics (only technically compatible). Fifth edition was Alternity, and sixth edition was White Wolf doing a D20M game. I'm not even positive about fourth.
It doesn't take a ton of work to convert between 4th and AD&D2e, but most notably, GW4e had ascending AC and to-hit (THAC).

Edit: Also this:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This strangely reminds me of something last night. Ran the first session of Godbound. Went well enough, but, seriously, it is weird when they got into their first battle with a mob of tiny yokai and managed to consistently roll 1s until one guy got a hit with a blast attack and killed them all. Sure, the Fray die kept things moving and avoided them from making no progress each turn, but it was kind of funny for a bunch of demi-gods who just did things like gift people living Golden Elephants and just mindcontrolled a local, angry Kami into passiveness couldn't hit a horde of monsters to save their life.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

It has the usual issue of point-buy super hero games where it's not that hard to find broken combinations if the GM isn't paying attention (anything that summons extra minions or whatever, for example), but it's a lot better than most and avoids a lot of the usual crunchy supers game rule pitfalls (it doesn't allow multiple attacks per round, etc). There's almost nothing of D&D left in it besides "roll d20+x versus target number" and almost all the complexity is in chargen, it's really simple to actually run. There's some weird swingyness in combat due to the damage save mechanic, but it works well overall and the game's pretty generous with hero points (reroll options) if need be. The effects-based power creation can be confusing for people/groups who aren't used to that sort of design, but if you played Masks that probably isn't an issue.

I rather enjoy it, I've played in and run campaigns in it for years, but it has its faults and I can see why some folks wouldn't like it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

SunAndSpring posted:

I only played first and second edition, but I loved it. It has a lot of flexibility for character types and the alternate power/power stunt system gives players a lot of options during play as well. As Asimo said, there is some potential for rules abuse so you have to be willing to veto some things, but the power level system helps keep it under control.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the first thing i self-published on DriveThruRPG hit $100 in sales!! after over a year!! i'm so proud.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Countblanc posted:

the first thing i self-published on DriveThruRPG hit $100 in sales!! after over a year!! i'm so proud.

Link it my man

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's in the strike thread OP since it's really only of interest to people who play that game (it's a class, the Psion) and I didn't really post that for exposure so much as not having anyone really to brag to other than this tiny rear end forum and twitter.

e; eh whatever!! people might want to look at ferrinus' art he drew for it anyway

The Psion class (preview) - A class made by yours truly, based off the 13th Age Occultist class. Deals in interrupts and reactions.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 14, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Countblanc posted:

Congratulations, it's always nice to see stuff still selling over time.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Nicely done

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Countblanc posted:

Congrats

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

SunAndSpring posted:

(This is continuing on from what everyone else said about the game's balance)

To be fair to the game, too, it's well-aware of how some powers will break the system (time control, precognition, super speed, clones, etc.) and usually accompanies entries like those with a sidebar that says "Yo, this thing can break the game so hard, my man. Don't be a dick and work with your GM on how to prevent that." It still feels the need to put them in there, though, since it's all about capturing mechanics for as many super powers as possible. Of the front end-heavy supers systems that try to systemize powers that way, it's far and away the best version.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 14, 2017

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

On a related note, could anyone recommend lighter, non-PbtA rulesets for supering? I heard BASH! was good, but that's it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

depending on what you mean by 'lighter' marvel heroic roleplaying is great and is far more about genre emulation than calculating how many square pounds the hulk can lift (if you can put up with games that are discontinued + involve dicepools)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

How light do you want? Heroquest 2e is my goto narrative system.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Drone posted:

So as someone who's been really interested in the system for awhile: how does the OSR-ness of Stars Without Number's basic game gel with the mounds of additional rulebooks for mass naval combat, cyberpunk stuff, military games, etc.? Or is my definition of OSR (just a cool relatively simple game without all the cruft) just flat-out wrong?

Does the stuff from the additional books play pretty seamlessly with the core book or does it just become super daunting?

OSR can cover some pretty crunchy aspects actually(after all both editions of AD&D are normally counted as OSR), the thing that keeps it from bogging them down like a lot of other systems is that OSR systems are usually pretty modular in nature, so it's easy to change around subsystems as needed

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mitama posted:

On a related note, could anyone recommend lighter, non-PbtA rulesets for supering? I heard BASH! was good, but that's it.

The Atomic Robo RPG is lightish, although it's scaled more for pulp heroes than it is for 4-color.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On the topic of superhero games and OSR: get you an RPG that does both

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Between Asimo and I and a few other goon we have essentially seen every edition of M&M stress-tested so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I certainly have some opinions about fiddly bits in that game.

Marvel Heroic I appreciate for its simplicity but the same time the mechanics mostly boil down to throwing handfuls of dice and shrugging which bugs me. I wish there was a little more think in the mechanics.

What did people think of Worlds of Peril? I backed it and had mixed opinions but it didn't leave a strong impression, more kind of a vague "that was a thing".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gradenko_2000 posted:

On the topic of superhero games and OSR: get you an RPG that does both

I prefer Hideouts & Hoodlums for my OSR Superhero needs

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What did people think of Worlds of Peril? I backed it and had mixed opinions but it didn't leave a strong impression, more kind of a vague "that was a thing".

My impression was "This is certainly a game that could have used more examples of making characters in the book because holy wow, vague"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Marvel Heroic I appreciate for its simplicity but the same time the mechanics mostly boil down to throwing handfuls of dice and shrugging which bugs me. I wish there was a little more think in the mechanics.

This is my big problem with Marvel Heroic after participating in a somewhat houseruled game of Exalted using it for I want to say the better part of a year...it managed to be simultaneously rules-light and offputtingly opaque at the same time. The resolution system has you stepping dice up and down, breaking larger dice into two slightly smaller ones, assigning some dice to beating a target number and some to establishing potency on an independent axis, and it's frustratingly unintuitive whether you should, for example, keep a 1d10 in your pool or use an ability to break it down into 2d8 instead.

The answer to that one, btw, is that if you're concerned more about succeeding then breaking larger dice into smaller ones will give you a statistically higher probability of being able to stack up a larger Success Number at the cost of lowering your potential potency since you have fewer large dice to assign to that part of things, but also rolling more dice means you have more chances to roll 1's which get taken out of your pool and give the GM extra badguy points so maybe it's not a good idea? Stuff like this is why I eventually decided that as lightweight as it was in practice to just chuck dice and go "oh okay, I guess this thing happened" I didn't really feel like I was ever engaged with the system in a meaningful way so much as, well, throwing handfuls of dice and shrugging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A bunch of people at work got the RPG bug from listening to The Adventure Zone podcast, and they just made me run them through a session of Dungeon World.

They super loved it!

The Princess somehow charmed a giant spider named Chauncey into helping them take down Todd the Dragon when they fought it on top of their own burning ship over a lich's life-giving chalice.

Just spent 4 hours at a bar running some newbies through their first RPG sessions and they got into and are happy and want to make it biweekly and my otherwise exhausting and lovely day is so much better. :):

Hi this has been a reminder that fun exists and is good.

• Locked thread