Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Was it ever explained what the animus bell does? I seem to have missed it since I don't really have any sense of its power other than the liches are really enjoying having it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Asiina posted:

Was it ever explained what the animus bell does? I seem to have missed it since I don't really have any sense of its power other than the liches are really enjoying having it.

I think it makes the puppets move, which makes the liches able to use their abilities to make bigger, better games instead of an NPC audience.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
I guess the animus bell gives the wielder control over the souls of other beings and this somehow includes getting unlimited access to their memories. Otherwise they have another powerful relic that allows them to datamine THB without them being able to perceive it, like Merle's children or giving Magnus the choice of forgetting either Julia or the governor, bits of backstory that the other two characters didn't know about. Unless they can gather that information from the black smoke that pours out of them when they bitch about something.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I asked a while ago and people mostly seemed to be like "it's the necromancy relic duh," but I've seen conflicting reports on whether Griffin actually based all seven of the relics specifically on magic D&D schools. (Plus, knowing that the liches were apparently already liches and already running Wonderland before they even got the bell broadens up the possibilities, right?)

Either way I still think it's worth thinking about the name, because 'animus' has several different definitions which might be relevant to what its specific powers wind up being.

showbiz_liz posted:

1. A feeling of enmity, animosity, spite, or ill will

2. The basic impulses and instincts which govern one's actions

3. In legal terminology, it means 'intent,' as in you intended to do something

4. In Latin it means the mind or intellect, or the rational part of the soul, or willpower. (And if you don't have animus, it means you're insane.)

5. And in Jungian psychology it means 'the masculine aspect of the feminine psyche' but I feel like that part probably won't come up

I've seen some people saying it means 'life force' or similar in Latin, but it doesn't - anima (the feminine form) means life force and animus (the masculine form) means mind. (I mean, it's not impossible that Griffin either got it wrong or didn't care, but)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

showbiz_liz posted:

I asked a while ago and people mostly seemed to be like "it's the necromancy relic duh," but I've seen conflicting reports on whether Griffin actually based all seven of the relics specifically on magic D&D schools. (Plus, knowing that the liches were apparently already liches and already running Wonderland before they even got the bell broadens up the possibilities, right?)

Either way I still think it's worth thinking about the name, because 'animus' has several different definitions which might be relevant to what its specific powers wind up being.

He did, originally, but he dropped the "relics correspond to spell schools" about halfway through.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

He originally based them on the schools of magic from the Elder Scrolls franchise. This happened before he found out that DnD also had schools of magic. That's why there are seven relics and not eight.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Piell posted:

He did, originally, but he dropped the "relics correspond to spell schools" about halfway through.

Do you have a source for this? I've seen this come up in this thread before but I haven't heard it myself.

From context clues in this arc I assumed the Animus Bell could animate non-living objects, because of all the mannequins (and maybe it's even somehow behind the Monster Factory)

If he was still doing the school of magic from Elder Scrolls maybe it'd look something like this?

Illusion - Oculus from Rockport Limited
Alteration - Philosophers Stone
Destruction - Gauntlet from Gerblins
Conjuration - Gaia Sash maybe
Restoration - ???
Mysticism - Chalice from 11th Hour
Enchanting - Animus Bell

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

timp posted:

From context clues in this arc I assumed the Animus Bell could animate non-living objects, because of all the mannequins (and maybe it's even somehow behind the Monster Factory)

Considering the wide range of crazy stuff each of the other relics could do, what if it's not just that it can make non-alive stuff seem alive - what if it actually can create/sustain life? The liches said that they made Wonderland before they even got the bell in the first place, but that getting the bell changed something. Maybe the bell made it possible to keep people (like Cam) suffering forever, instead of just using them up and then killing them?

It would be kind of funny/tragic if that meant the bell was also potentially a powerful healing relic.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Certain takes on necromancy are less about raising the dead and more about keeping things alive and subservient.
The idea of being immortal is such a strong desire to some that it would be more important than having their own agency.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Griffin is 100% truthful about Now You See Me btw, the movie does actually end with Mark Ruffalo revealing that he was a real wizard the whole time and Woody Harrelson + co are going learn how to be wizards

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Improbable Lobster posted:

Griffin is 100% truthful about Now You See Me btw, the movie does actually end with Mark Ruffalo revealing that he was a real wizard the whole time and Woody Harrelson + co are going learn how to be wizards

Now You See Me 2 has a sequence in it that can literally ONLY work if real, actual, magic is involved. That card flying poo poo cannot work without magic powers.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm mostly posting this for myself because I know I'm gonna forget if I don't

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aw man, I dunno if I'm gonna get into my hotel in time!

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Now You See Me 2 has a sequence in it that can literally ONLY work if real, actual, magic is involved. That card flying poo poo cannot work without magic powers.

The first one is the same way. People are flying and throwing fireballs and poo poo.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

inthesto posted:

I'm mostly posting this for myself because I know I'm gonna forget if I don't

Who's arm is on Travis's shoulder? :gonk:

Also, Trends Like me is good.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, Trends Like me is good.

Uh, Griffin's right arm? :confused:

It's bent forward weirdly far (they've probably been edited closer together) but nothing absurd.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BigRed0427 posted:

Who is arm?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

User-Friendly posted:

The first one is the same way. People are flying and throwing fireballs and poo poo.

Didn't 1 also have a bit where they, in real human bodies we've established as 100% their real forms, jumped off a building, exploded into cards, and appeared elsewhere from the cards like a terrible super power?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Now You See Me sucks.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Actually it kinda owns.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's a heist movie where they never actually plan or execute the heist in any kind of exciting way. There are no obstacles for our literally magic protagonists and we never get to see how any of their Wet Stunts are executed.

It's an empty shell.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The protags don't learn real spells until the end. Their heist uses stage magic

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

loving LMFAO at Travis' magicians movie plane marathon.

I also saw Now You See Me on a plane and not totally clear that they're wizards

Serf
May 5, 2011

Now You See Me is as batshit insane as Griffin says and his description of it is exactly why it owns.

This was a fantastic episode, the brothers are really on a roll. My favorite bit is either the "in this trap they make him eat his own dad" Saw on a plane discussion or Griffin interrupting Travis to prevent him from saying Burt Wonderstone was a good movie.

Also "Jaguar Goldthwait"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's still completely unforgivable that the sequel isn't called Now You Don't

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

The protags don't learn real spells until the end. Their heist uses stage magic

Except for the part where it uses hypnosis in a totally impossible supernatural fashion.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr. Stab posted:

Except for the part where it uses hypnosis in a totally impossible supernatural fashion.

Yeah, it's a movie about stage magic that barely considers how stage magic works.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Best bit from this last ep was Justin's suggestion for a Burt Wonderstone trailer that directly addresses Travis

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

purple death ray posted:

It's still completely unforgivable that the sequel isn't called Now You Don't

What the fuuuuuuuck now I'm angry.

Also this is making me think I should watch these movies?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr. Stab posted:

Oh yea I forgot that the 'hypnotist' spent all of one act doing the whole 'no it's actually just reading people and social engineering' and then without any fanfare just became goddamn Jean Grey loving with people's heads.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
The beautiful TAZ fanart keeps on coming!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TRIVIA:
-What is Clint's favorite Little Debbie product?
Hint: It is the best one

-What two spells were required to retrieve the Philosopher's Stone from Magnus?
Bonus: MS paint what the hell happened.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I want to say stoneskin and polymorph? I don't remember the second exactly.

this is how i imagined it

http://imgur.com/a/wwVz6

couldn't get it to preview right so there's just a link

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 15, 2017

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

zimbomonkey posted:

Stoneskin and Stone Shape. He couldn't polymorph at that point.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Flesh To Stone and Stoneshape, I'm pretty sure. Or maybe Stoneskin?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
That was if anything a more ridiculous stretch of what spells actually do than the stuff in the last episode. Not that I'm complaining.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

zimbomonkey posted:

this is how i imagined it

http://imgur.com/a/wwVz6

couldn't get it to preview right so there's just a link

Stoneskin and Stone Shape (after Taako cast sleep so he wouldn't be aware of his new Chronenberg nightmare of a body).
Yeah, he was originally just a tube of flesh and stone and then they made him a spiral to make it more... fun?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
The part at the end of Now You See Me, where The Gruffalo says "Magic is really real, come be wizards with me", is in a mid- or post-credits scene, which I'm guessing is why about half of the reactions to Griffin's spoiler are "WTF I don't remember that" and the other half are "Oh yeah, that did happen."

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The twist of Now You See Me is cool when you watch it and then you think about it even a little and suddenly none of Mark Ruffalo's actions the entire movie make any sense whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Asiina posted:

The twist of Now You See Me is cool when you watch it and then you think about it even a little and suddenly none of Mark Ruffalo's actions the entire movie make any sense whatsoever.

he also is the single dumbest character in movies in 2 because he kept being an FBI agent

Like, he apparently spent however long between the movies still working in the FBI doing that really stupid 'I PRETEND TO BE CRAZY SO THEY DON'T THINK I'M PART OF IT' thing and then a real FBI agent is all 'what no you're clearly in on this because you just suddenly decided to be crazy after the magic crooks vanished'