Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because not everything on the internet can use the google authenticator or 1password authenticator.

To name a big one, Steam. I haven't checked in several months but I'm pretty sure they still only have email or their own smartphone app as options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

bobfather posted:

I guess I was being facetious when I said fairly unlikely. A 30+ character password with 62 possible characters yields over 128 bits of entropy.

So if the attacker can test 100 trillion passwords a second, they'll get my password after about 400 trillion years.

Hashcat on modern hardware can do like 8 million guesses a second. I'll have to watch out for the attacker that can network the needed 13 million computers so they can get my Gmail password in 400 trillion years.

Time isn't a useful factor to consider, because this implies a sufficiently quick computer can achieve it.
Energy is the problem. If you assume a perfect computer, which uses the theoretically smallest unit of energy possible to test one key, it would still take more energy output than is in a supernova to cycle through a 256bit keyspace. It's provably such a hard task that it's fundamentally impossible within our understanding of physics (and this includes quantum computing).

Bruce Schneier posted:

One of the consequences of the second law of thermodynamics is that a certain amount of energy is necessary to represent information. To record a single bit by changing the state of a system requires an amount of energy no less than kT, where T is the absolute temperature of the system and k is the Boltzman constant. (Stick with me; the physics lesson is almost over.)

Given that k = 1.38×10-16 erg/°Kelvin, and that the ambient temperature of the universe is 3.2°Kelvin, an ideal computer running at 3.2°K would consume 4.4×10-16 ergs every time it set or cleared a bit. To run a computer any colder than the cosmic background radiation would require extra energy to run a heat pump.

Now, the annual energy output of our sun is about 1.21×1041 ergs. This is enough to power about 2.7×1056 single bit changes on our ideal computer; enough state changes to put a 187-bit counter through all its values. If we built a Dyson sphere around the sun and captured all its energy for 32 years, without any loss, we could power a computer to count up to 2192. Of course, it wouldn't have the energy left over to perform any useful calculations with this counter.

But that's just one star, and a measly one at that. A typical supernova releases something like 1051 ergs. (About a hundred times as much energy would be released in the form of neutrinos, but let them go for now.) If all of this energy could be channeled into a single orgy of computation, a 219-bit counter could be cycled through all of its states.

These numbers have nothing to do with the technology of the devices; they are the maximums that thermodynamics will allow. And they strongly imply that brute-force attacks against 256-bit keys will be infeasible until computers are built from something other than matter and occupy something other than space.

If you stack that vs "er yeh they've been breached consistently over a handful of years but I PERSONALLY think its ok!" lastpass and other cloud solutions don't stack up.
Keepass or 1password encrypt with AES256 [granting the above math] and have no server to compromise and MITM your vault.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Well, the argument for LastPass is that even though their service has been breached more times and ways than Jenna Jameson, nobody has been known to have breached one of their password vaults.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, people just attack their browser plugin instead. Don't need to mess with the vault when javascript can sneak everything out the front door.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
lol if you don't use your own blowfish encrypted usb hardware key to protect your steam games and amazon receipts and encrypt all of your email client side

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I use Enpass for passwords. One time purchase, syncs to desktop / cloud / NAS.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I use 1Password and my only beef is that they deprecated the web access to people who paid the one-off fee for the app a while back and it's now a subscription only feature.

I usually have my phone on me, but sometimes it would be nice on someone else's PC to be able to log in to something if I left my phone in another room.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Question Mark Mound posted:

I use 1Password and my only beef is that they deprecated the web access to people who paid the one-off fee for the app a while back and it's now a subscription only feature.

I usually have my phone on me, but sometimes it would be nice on someone else's PC to be able to log in to something if I left my phone in another room.

The old web access was horribly insecure and needed to be depreciated. The subscription is for a cloud service which incidentally includes web access.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What's the point of password managers again, I'm a bit lost

Am I a pleb if I just let chrome save it

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It means if you have a different password for every website (which you definitely, DEFINITELY should), you've got them stored (and encrypted) somewhere so you don't have to remember them all - especially if you use random strings of numbers/letters/characters for your passwords rather than stuff people can guess. Having a multi-platform password manager means that if you're using something other than a Chrome install that you are signed into, you still have access to your passwords.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Consider the track record of browser exploits, and the fact your browser is almost your entire attack surface when you're online.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A password manager is faster than always having to select the "forgot my password" option and waiting for the mails.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VSCO are locking new presets behind a subscription paywall 🙄

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Every app seems to be going to a subscription model these days. It's extremely irritating.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm not paying a subscription fee for an app that hasn't updated its loving UI in four years and doesn't even support landscape editing. I've spent a serious chunk on the presets, I love VSCOs stuff for lightroom but a subscription service for a phone editor? Get outta here.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
They shat the bed when they changed the user interface a couple of years (?) ago. It's completely unusable now. A subscription model will probably be the final nail in the coffin and I won't complain.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What do people use for KeePass on iOS? I tried KeePass Touch and bought the ad removal IAP which...didn't remove IAP. I'd like something with TouchID support and no ads. Is KyPass 3 good? I would hope so for $7, but it doesn't have many reviews.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I believe all KeepASS users eventually use 1Password.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't use 1pass since it requires a stupid separate app to run for the browser extension to work.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Minikeepass works

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why is there sometimes a gray bar with an app icon that says "Good morning/Hello, [name]" in the app switcher in iOS? So far I've had both twitter and hangouts do this even though neither have had any activity. The bar appears at the bottom of the screen and I can tap it or slide it up to open or switch to the app. Seems pointless.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Why is there sometimes a gray bar with an app icon that says "Good morning/Hello, [name]" in the app switcher in iOS? So far I've had both twitter and hangouts do this even though neither have had any activity. The bar appears at the bottom of the screen and I can tap it or slide it up to open or switch to the app. Seems pointless.
Sounds like Handoff to me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sounds like Handoff to me.
I switched it off but the bar is still there. It does look like the handoff bar but I don't think hangouts supports it anyway.

E: And now it's gone again. Well, guess it's not doing any harm, just a weird thing.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 12, 2017

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Is there a twitter client other than the official one that will collapse twitter threads in my timeline? Tweetbot doesn't and it's a bit irritating.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I've been having a problem with reminders on my phone and I figure this is the best place to ask.

I have an iPhone and iPad. I have iCloud turned on for reminders. I only create reminders on my phone, but for some reason I recently started getting the notifications on ONLY the ipad. They used to work on both devices, but now nothing at all on the phone. It will show the reminder as past due if I go into the reminders app, but there is never a notification. My geotag based reminders also seem to not be working any more.

What is up with my reminders? Has anyone dealt with this before?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The obvious question is: have you checked the toggles in Settings/ Notifications / Reminders on your phone?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

cryptoclastic posted:

I've been having a problem with reminders on my phone and I figure this is the best place to ask.

I have an iPhone and iPad. I have iCloud turned on for reminders. I only create reminders on my phone, but for some reason I recently started getting the notifications on ONLY the ipad. They used to work on both devices, but now nothing at all on the phone. It will show the reminder as past due if I go into the reminders app, but there is never a notification. My geotag based reminders also seem to not be working any more.

What is up with my reminders? Has anyone dealt with this before?

I've been having a similar problem, iPhone only. When I make the reminder through another app (Fantastical) it seems to work fine, but through the Reminders app I'm encountering the same as you. Unfortunately I don't have a solution yet.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The obvious question is: have you checked the toggles in Settings/ Notifications / Reminders on your phone?

Yup, that's all fine.

ChetReckless posted:

I've been having a similar problem, iPhone only. When I make the reminder through another app (Fantastical) it seems to work fine, but through the Reminders app I'm encountering the same as you. Unfortunately I don't have a solution yet.

I'll give this a try, but Siri integration is my bread and butter. Hopefully someone else comes along with a solution for us.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

I switched it off but the bar is still there. It does look like the handoff bar but I don't think hangouts supports it anyway.

E: And now it's gone again. Well, guess it's not doing any harm, just a weird thing.

A little late, but seems more like an extension of the lock screen suggested apps? There was no Good Morning message, but I just noticed the handoff-style bar at the bottom of the switcher tray suggesting the Awful app with "Based on your current location" alongside it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, my battery life has been a bit shite lately on my 7+ so I checked usage stats today and is anybody else having Dropbox be between 24-31% of their total battery usage (last 7 days, last 24 hours, respectively, almost all background)? My pics are already all backed up through it and I don't take many new ones. I've opened the app once in the past week to take three quick doc scans. That's it, I'm never in the app. The gently caress is it doing?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you have one of the many battery glitches plaguing recent iOS/iPhones, and lose battery disproportionately quickly, it will assign this to the app/apps running at the time.
You could be chasing a red herring here, and 'just' have the usual battery woes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
gBoard updated today .. emjoi's yeah but the best thing is voice dictation now!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

mAlfunkti0n posted:

gBoard updated today .. emjoi's yeah but the best thing is voice dictation now!

Holy poo poo! This is the one thing I missed most from the stock keyboard. I've been using gBoard as my only keyboard for a while now and it keeps getting better.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
:confused: The iOS keyboard has had voice dictation for ages...?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Neon Noodle posted:

:confused: The iOS keyboard has had voice dictation for ages...?

but stock apps are bad :ohdear:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stock iOS keyboard is lighyears ahead of 99% of Android garbage. Third party keyboards are still buggy as poo poo on iOS.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of bad stock apps, could it have been possible for Apple to make the TV app any worse? Had a bunch of tv shows stored locally I wanted to get rid of and only way to do it (that I could find) was to individually 3d touch every single episode. And if the list is longer than fits on a screen, it scrolls back to the first item every time you delete a show.

The app is also full of UI glitches, if you try to tap something while the screen is scrolling you get weird ghosts on the screen of the item you were touching.

Get your poo poo together apple. :colbert:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Using gBoard as my only keyboard has made my iOS usage so much more enjoyable and useful. The very few times the stock keyboard comes up as a glitch or when I need to enter a password, I feel like I'm using some archaic piece of poo poo.

I use almost all Google products/services on my iPhone and it makes me feel like I should just get a Pixel. But then I remember how much I hate texting people in green and how iOS third-party apps are almost always better than Android.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just uncovered the option to make the Gboard black instead of white. It's slick as hell now. Never have an issue with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'll try Gboard and see how it goes. The way it has to go to another screen to do voice input is janky as gently caress.