Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Even though Colossus became Juggernaut by appealing to Cyttorak against Marko when he was controlled by the Serpent.

Juggernaut usually takes Colossus or the Thing out in a punch or two. Thor has to pull some magic out of his rear end to stop him. He gets jobbed occasionally, but most of the time the heroes barely survive the encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nilbop posted:

I think what did it for me was in AvX (and I might be misremembering here because I hate this event and haven't read it since it was first released) he was going toe to toe with Thor or Hulk or somebody *before* he got the Phoenix upgrade and I remember thinking that was just silly.

Like if he's getting clowned on the regular by Juggy, Thor and Bruce should be punching him into space, right?

[Thor #411]

Open Marriage Night posted:

Even though Colossus became Juggernaut by appealing to Cyttorak against Marko when he was controlled by the Serpent.

Juggernaut usually takes Colossus or the Thing out in a punch or two. Thor has to pull some magic out of his rear end to stop him. He gets jobbed occasionally, but most of the time the heroes barely survive the encounter.
His appeal against Marko succeeded because Marko was explicitly using Cytorrak's power in the service and name of the Serpent, rather than when Piotr had the Phoenix Force and Cytorrak was just like "well, with the power of rebirth and destruction you can serve the Phoenix in rebirth and me in destruction, plus I like you better than Marko because he was a jobber".

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Uncanny X-Men #15

Colossus, juiced up on Phoenix fire, tries to renegotiate the mortgage on his soul.

Cyttorak says that heroes cause more property damage than villains. No refunds.

A few issues later, after he's lost the Phoenix, his half-demon little sister decides to impart a valuable life lesson:

Uncanny X-Men #18

Colossus is the universe's punching bag.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

colossus stronk!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Jetfire posted:

Does anyone have that Spider-Man panel where he goes "Doc Ock made my webbing stronger, and now it's stuck to my butt" panel handy?

Amazing Spider-Man #2 (2014)

Doc Hawkins posted:

colossus stronk!

He also pulled an entire submarine out of the ocean one time.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Who was it that, when Pete explained the Doc Ock stuff said "yeah that seems just dumb enough to be true."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Thor and Bruce should be punching him into space, right?

Really this should be happening any time you have people with super-strength but not super-mass.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Avulsion posted:

A few issues later, after he's lost the Phoenix, his half-demon little sister decides to impart a valuable life lesson:

Uncanny X-Men #18

I didn't think I could believe the Magik character was more garbage but nope, here we go with this nonsense.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was clear at the time she was manipulating him into becoming the Juggernaut, but the justification of "I needed you to understand I'm evil retarded" was the worst possible explanation for why.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Gnome de plume posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #2 (2014)

I'm disappointed they ordered the medical scan and didn't just say "yeah, that's Pete."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dordreff posted:

I'm disappointed they ordered the medical scan and didn't just say "yeah, that's Pete."

I know, right? That wouldn't have happened to anybody but Peter Parker.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I love how Cap is totally won over by cookies

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Are you surprised by this? In your heart of hearts?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Now post Colossus eating the gently caress out of a sandwich.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

As you wish.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hell yeah! Dude fuckin' loves sandwiches!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dordreff posted:

I said something like that last time it came up

Edit:

Duke Igthorn posted:

"I want a deep medical scan with DNA checks on multiple levels in multiple locations. Also we're bringing in Xavier to do a sub-conscious and conscious mind check with mechanical double checks all the way through, we also need-"

"Ah...I just pissed myself..."

"...get some sleep Peter, we'll see you tomorrow."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The best part of that, for me, is the sandwich has a sturdy belt.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Push El Burrito posted:

Who was it that, when Pete explained the Doc Ock stuff said "yeah that seems just dumb enough to be true."

Miguel O'Hara.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

This talk of Colossus and super strength reminds me of a part in Ultimate X-Men. Colossus was being forced to try and stop a speeding train. He was talking to the one ordering him to do it and said something like "There are many levels of super-strength, this train might just run me over." And then the train crumpled against him like a tin can.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Avulsion posted:

Uncanny X-Men #18

I want to put together a downerpost for the Touching & Inspiring thread about this. I've always been an Illyana fan, and I like the current characterization that the chance at redemption has sailed, so she's going to lean into the '"'m broken and damned, but I can save other people from my fate" thing. The occasional slip at keeping other people from her path (like this) is just as important as the occasional step to keep herself under some kind of control (her training with Strange).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't know, a hysterical "crazy bitch" might be the most overplayed thing in the history of ever, in this or any other genre.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Magik got her crazy honestly. She's not jilted or just inherently imbalanced. She grew up in Hell.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Magik got her crazy honestly. She's not jilted or just inherently imbalanced. She grew up in Hell.

Lots of people grow up in Hell and then turn out just fine. What do you have against Michigan?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It was actually Limbo, which is a distinctly different demon-filled hellscape dimension to Hell.
:goonsay:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghostlight posted:

It was actually Limbo, which is a distinctly different demon-filled hellscape dimension to Hell.
:goonsay:

Does Limbo have different levels, like the nine circles of Hell? How low can you go?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Lobok posted:

Does Limbo have different levels, like the nine circles of Hell? How low can you go?

Until your shoulders touch the ground.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nilbop posted:

Do X-Men writers keep telling their fans that Colossus is "one of the strongest beings on the planet?" Because that guy's power set is "muscular man with living metal armour." Did that get changed with power creep over the years?

Back in the '80s, he was something like the sixth strongest hero on the planet, behind the Hulk, Thor, the Thing, Hercules, and Wonder Man. He was also the youngest of them, and he's only gotten stronger since then.

Colossus just gets Worfed a lot, especially lately.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanderer posted:

Back in the '80s, he was something like the sixth strongest hero on the planet, behind the Hulk, Thor, the Thing, Hercules, and Wonder Man. He was also the youngest of them, and he's only gotten stronger since then.

When your entire power set is "strong" it's inevitable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

When your entire power set is "strong" it's inevitable.

Yeah, to be honest, the entire lineup mentioned there are basically "guys who get Worfed."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wanderer posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Spider-Man.

Edit:

Yeah, you're almost word for word thinking of this panel:

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 14, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Edit:

There was another page gauging the strength of various Marvel heroes and Colossus was like "and I'm still a teenager! Just wait till I'm fully grown!"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
from IDW's Ghostbusters, from which I could probably grab multiple panels as it just nails the feel of both the movies and 80s cartoon

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Who What Now posted:

Edit:

Forget strong, how loving tall is Thor supposed to be?!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Forget strong, how loving tall is Thor supposed to be?!

Hulk is slouching, and he didn't used to get much taller back in the day.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Thor is six foot six, the same height as grey Hulk and half a foot taller than Thing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Who What Now posted:

I'm thinking rather specifically of the OHOTMU from the mid-1980s and that issue of Marvel Two-in-One where the strongest humans on Earth get abducted to box with the Champion.

Colossus in the '80s, before he got powered up a bit, was in the 70-ton range. Ben Grimm is 85, Thor and Hercules are "Class 100," Sasquatch is 60-something, Namor is 85-ish if he's been in the water recently...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wanderer posted:

I'm thinking rather specifically of the OHOTMU from the mid-1980s and that issue of Marvel Two-in-One where the strongest humans on Earth get abducted to box with the Champion.

Colossus in the '80s, before he got powered up a bit, was in the 70-ton range. Ben Grimm is 85, Thor and Hercules are "Class 100," Sasquatch is 60-something, Namor is 85-ish if he's been in the water recently...

So what you're saying is that Colossus stole Spidey's claim to fame in the strength department.

Well ain't that just the ol' Parker luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Colossus was always my favorite of the X-Men and was primarily the reason I tried out taking Russian as my language elective in 7th grade and continued for another three years. And with the impending takeover that's going to give me a heads up for when real Secret Empire gets in place.