Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Bubble girl looks more interesting in color, what with the blue skin and stuff.
Here's the original design, btw.

Incidentally, the wiki had her quirk (I assume translated from pixiv)

quote:

Perfume Bubble: With this Quirk, she can make bubbles filled with aroma that she had smelled at least once before! She can make both sweet-smelling bubbles and foul-smelling ones. When she’s too nervous, she produces very unpleasant-smelling bubbles that it’s self-destructing!

I'm not sure how you can use that as a superhero.
Crowd control, I guess?

Kyte fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kyte posted:

Bubble girl looks more interesting in color, what with the blue skin and stuff.
Here's the original design, btw.

Incidentally, the wiki had her quirk (I assume translated from pixiv)

Crowd control, I guess?

you obviously haven't smelled mustard gas before

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
It could be useful for marking and tracking, if the smell can stick to people, particularly if it's paired with a senses enhancing quirk. Come to think of it, group hero offices can probably get a lot of use out of niche quirks like hers, since they have other people to do what her quirk isn't suited to.

Apart from that, there are heroes who can do their job without making much if any use of their quirk (e.g. Gunhead) so having an unusable quirk doesn't mean that she can't be a good hero.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Well yeah but it's only been 5 chapters. And one was a recap.

Ochako didn't do anything but get rescued her first appearance too.

that's not really true, ochako saves deku from falling to his death right after he saves her from being crushed by the giant robot

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kyte posted:

Crowd control, I guess?

Chemistry! :science:

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2005/03/03/things_i_wont_work_with_carbon_diselenide
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/05/07/things_i_wont_work_with_small_smelly_isocyanides
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2012/05/15/things_i_wont_work_with_selenophenol

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Pop-Step's useful because people actually LIKE her, as opposed to poorly-socialized-punchman Knuckle Duster and 'Nice but habitually kicked around' Hauler. She's good PR.

I liked the discussion that the quirk powering drug is illegal in japan, with the implication that in other countries maybe it's not as restricted.
Also, possible slight goof: Thirteen showed up to the mass villain outbreak event to help contain the situation, despite him stating that he sticks to rescue work most of the time because it's too easy to kill people with his Quirk.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's not really true, ochako saves deku from falling to his death right after he saves her from being crushed by the giant robot

She also beat up a bunch of robots by herself. Way more than Deku did.

Though maybe Pop Step will one day fight her own Bakugou.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

The vigilante heroes are sort of supposed to be losers, right? I'm not sure why anyone would expect Popstep to be anything other than bratty wanna-be teen idol, at this point in the story.. Knuckleduster is an Antisocial Zealot doof, and Crawler or whatever is your typical loser-who-wants-to-be-a-hero.
Her initial character motivation is to be more popular on the internet-not exactly noble. If she were a capable bad-rear end heroine who can do it all, it wouldn't really fit into the story we're getting. I'm just not sure why anyone would expect more, given what we've had established so far.
It's kind of this ongoing problem people have with female characters, they're expected to do-it-all and represent all of womankind, regardless of any story... which leads to a whole other set of problems. Anyway, that's my super serious 2cents on The Character Popstep.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 12, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

her not getting into fights isn't important. her role being to get captured as motivation for the main character, however, is. it doesn't have to be her that this happens to every single time; she could contribute in some way that isn't fighting

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Manatee Cannon posted:

her not getting into fights isn't important. her role being to get captured as motivation for the main character, however, is. it doesn't have to be her that this happens to every single time; she could contribute in some way that isn't fighting

She has been? She has constantly been the "face" of the group, socializing with the punks and the W-Men, and gathering info in a way that isn't "punch mans until info falls out".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Crasical posted:

I liked the discussion that the quirk powering drug is illegal in japan, with the implication that in other countries maybe it's not as restricted.

:420:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Someone write a letter and ask who the top heroes in other countries like Greece and Finland are

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, All Might is on there. Should be interesting if this advances far enough to see reactions to the AfO/All Might fight.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Terper posted:

Someone write a letter and ask who the top heroes in other countries like Greece and Finland are

Other countries may not all have "heroes" in the same sense Japan does.

I'm actually interested in seeing more of the global angle: how laws regarding Quirk use in other countries differ from Japan's, military applications of Quirks, what it's like to be the only person with a really powerful Quirk in a tiny country, etc.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Silver2195 posted:

I'm actually interested in seeing more of the global angle: how laws regarding Quirk use in other countries differ from Japan's, military applications of Quirks, what it's like to be the only person with a really powerful Quirk in a tiny country, etc.

My Hero D&D has a standing rule on no threads about Quirk Control because of how out of control the thread making GBS threads gets.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I hope he does expand his universe outside the highschool sphere as time goes on. A world in the veins of Sanderson "Steelheart" series, where powerfull beings make cities their own fiefdom, rulling with absolute iron fist would be a really cool arc.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I hope he does expand his universe outside the highschool sphere as time goes on. A world in the veins of Sanderson "Steelheart" series, where powerfull beings make cities their own fiefdom, rulling with absolute iron fist would be a really cool arc.

I actually don't think there's much of that sort of thing in the MHA world. Even All for One exerted power over Japan behind the scenes instead of openly making the people of Kyoto kneel to him or whatever. Plus people with the necessary kind of Quirk power seem to be pretty rare; I don't think there's many people who could just take over and hold a city without getting assassinated or whatever. There's probably warlords who rely on their personal Quirk power to an extent, but not many invincible god-kings.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kind of wonder if the scope of the damage the VA is doing is going to go beyond momentary public outrage or UA. I mean- as in beyond just All Might retiring or people being skeptical of UA.

Like, Kemi/Caime or whatever- if she's dead or not is immaterial to the fact that by virtue of Toga apparently kidnapping her the VA vs Hero Society fun has now been spread to other schools.

Dead would be interesting but likely too dark a turn just yet, alive is actually kinda horrifying too.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Silver2195 posted:

There's probably at least one country that allows for quirks to be used in the workforce without becoming a hero. Just get the right license, and you can use your super-strength to tow broken down cars.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Crasical posted:

Just FYI this isn't the case. They said it was an Unscheduled drug, meaning there are no laws* prohibiting its use. There's all sorts of Unscheduled drugs you can buy online with no real oversight (including in the SA Mart!). The only criminal charge they can stick on him is related to the disturbance he caused. That probably won't change until the police issue an advisory and/or the public makes a big enough stick to get the lawmakers to push through an amendment to whatever Japan's Drug Schedules Act is.

It's kind of a big deal, since our Mysterious Drug Dealers aren't directly breaking the law. I'm not really an expert on legal matters so maybe someone could clarify, but I think the only real charge the police could make is that they are knowingly inciting other people to commit crimes, and I'll bet you could totally fight that one in court.

*Technically speaking this puts it in "you could totally sell this in a gas station" territory but I bet whatever FDA-analogue Japan has would take issue with the whole Villainification thing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Golden Battler posted:

Just FYI this isn't the case. They said it was an Unscheduled drug, meaning there are no laws* prohibiting its use. There's all sorts of Unscheduled drugs you can buy online with no real oversight (including in the SA Mart!). The only criminal charge they can stick on him is related to the disturbance he caused. That probably won't change until the police issue an advisory and/or the public makes a big enough stick to get the lawmakers to push through an amendment to whatever Japan's Drug Schedules Act is.

It's kind of a big deal, since our Mysterious Drug Dealers aren't directly breaking the law. I'm not really an expert on legal matters so maybe someone could clarify, but I think the only real charge the police could make is that they are knowingly inciting other people to commit crimes, and I'll bet you could totally fight that one in court.

*Technically speaking this puts it in "you could totally sell this in a gas station" territory but I bet whatever FDA-analogue Japan has would take issue with the whole Villainification thing.

Yup. Being an unscheduled drug rather than an illegal one also provides a good reason for the vigilantes to be doing things. The heroes are basically superpowered law enforcement, and can only legally intervene if it's actually against the law. While the acts people commit after taking the drug are illegal, the drug itself isn't so from a legal point of view their hands are tied unless the drug is criminalized. Vigilantes are already breaking the law to punish crime, so they don't really give a gently caress whether the drug is illegal or not. Either way knuckle duster is going to punch the people responsible.

Now, wasp girl? I'm pretty sure forcing people to take substances against their will is still illegal even if it's not an illegal substance.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yup
Its how people can order mystery drugs off the internet, ship them from china and not get arrested for it.

Most of the time when it isnt a novel chemical the chemists stick a few molecules off the side of an already illegal drug in a way that makes the law not apply anymore (the law has to be specific and cant blanket ban a certain subtype or configuration of chemicals lest they accidentally ban caffeine or something) and call it a day.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Ah, I love the smell of nootropics in the morning.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWgIa6G0UY

Boi get ready for sports.

In other news, man, I've been so busy with this move I'm like a month behind.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWgIa6G0UY

Boi get ready for sports.

In other news, man, I've been so busy with this move I'm like a month behind.

Shits been pretty cool.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The latest volume's bonus pages have dropped on Batoto.

Bakudad can secrete nitric sweat and can make it explode if he tries really hard. Bakumom sweats glycerin, and that's why Bakugou can sweat nitroglycerin :ms:

(It's also why Bakumom has absolutely flawless skin and looks super young.)

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New omake chapter featuring character profiles of Dekumom, Bakumom/dad, and Jiroumom/dad - http://bato.to/reader#40d8f60e160f19c7 (the profiles start from the 8th page onwards)

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Bakumom is fuckin fine.
But what, the quirk is just sweating glycerine?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zeruel posted:

Bakumom is fuckin fine.
But what, the quirk is just sweating glycerine?

Most quirks aren't very good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mikl posted:

The latest volume's bonus pages have dropped on Batoto.

Bakudad can secrete nitric sweat and can make it explode if he tries really hard. Bakumom sweats glycerin, and that's why Bakugou can sweat nitroglycerin :ms:

(It's also why Bakumom has absolutely flawless skin and looks super young.)

I bet their bedroom is basically a bunker.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it seems like a lot of the really strong quirks are combos of two others. everyone else just has to make do with what they have and try to make it cool by figuring out interesting ways to use it, like mirio

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The reason it's totally believable for a society where everyone has superpowers to still be terrorized by criminals and villains is because the vast majority of their powers are totally useless.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
The most important thing here is that Dekumom's birthday is Fourth of July.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rent-a-Bot posted:

hahaha

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So Dekudad is still in the picture, he's just living overseas like an rear end in a top hat with little to no contact.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gyges posted:

So Dekudad is still in the picture, he's just living overseas like an rear end in a top hat with little to no contact.

It's okay because now Dekumom can marry Deku's new dad.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nuebot posted:

It's okay because now Dekumom can marry Deku's new dad.

It's got to be a pain in the rear end to serve divorce papers internationally.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

New omake chapter featuring character profiles of Dekumom, Bakumom/dad, and Jiroumom/dad - http://bato.to/reader#40d8f60e160f19c7 (the profiles start from the 8th page onwards)

They never say what Jirou's dad's Quirk is, do they? Maybe he's Quirkless.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I figure since the earjacks are from her mother, the sound amplification/super hearing powers are from her father's side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Deku's dad will turn out to literally be the United States of America.