Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The problem is that some champs have a low pick rate but high success rate because they are only picked in situations that heavily favor them.

Whereas champs that are more generally powerful are picked more often but with a worse win-rate.

Still doesn't explain Varus, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Shadow225 posted:

Your two arguments are at odds with each other. You can't say that playing more games increases the confounding variables (by the way these become null with enough data) and then claim that the solution is that solo queue win rate is the better gauge of champ quality.

I do agree that more data points are useful for a number of reasons, but i would comparing comp play and solo queue win rates are comparing two different populations.

Anywho, enough of that tangent.

That's not even what I said. I said that pro play doesn't play enough to reduce the magnitude of said confounding variables. But since you don't want to have a statistics tangent...

Varus can be picked into bad comps really hard (like into a good khazix comp). It's also a favorite of a few of the bad teams.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's the reverse of the Evelynn argument (prior to today), where one team picks one champion exclusively when they know it's good and has a 100% win rate on it - see also kassadin's 100% winrate in the LPL

when every team picks a champion because they're very strong but either play them badly (because the team is bad) or pick a bad comp (because they put too much priority on the champion in question) they can end up with a bad win rate overall

what's really disgusting is that kha'zix should be in the second category but still has a 66% winrate, but i suspect it's partially because all the Very Bad teams are busy first picking Varus (?) or Jayce (???) before failing to construct an actual good team comp, then losing to the enemy team who picks Kha because every jungler does the same thing and he's the second-best at it after permabanned Rengar

Once they nerf Lethality and hopefully buff tank junglers a bit I think he'll be less oppressive but he probably still needs more nerfs to his evolved Q specifically

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Kha'Zix's win-rate will plunge over the next week of play. it was an abusable first pick because it was individually strong and teams didn't make moves to shut it down (which is not all that complicated, you just have to build a composition that moves together and has plenty of shields/sustain). teams broadly know how to deal with it now, and everyone's picked up Graves (which will poo poo on it individually and compositionally unless you're a poo poo EU import jungler) and are figuring out how to build around Graves, so Kha FP days are over even on 7.2 tbh

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Watching Impact play Camille right now in solo queue - lol this champ is still completely busted after her nerfs, surprising no one.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
KT and MVP are entering the 'Throw Zone', my favourite character from The Incredibles

also maybe i am spoiled by pray but i've yet to see an ashe arrow from any other adc hit someone from further than basically point blank

mata built frost queen's claim, purposefully, as a joke

that's a second game with kt giving mvp camille, purposefully, as a joke

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 14, 2017

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

mvp have activated the hidden 'Challenge Mode' of league of legends, where you get gifted a great composition by KT's idiotic P/B and pick Kog'Maw/Brand to round it out

oh my god both adcs started boots

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MVP is the most oh who cares team in Korea and has been forever and they should be forced to field an interesting player if they're going to keep existing

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

for someone who loves the kog you are being real down on the team picking the kog

e: for what it's worth, this game is actually a really good case for smeb still being one of the best top laners, maybe even as good as Balls

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 14, 2017

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
B_n C_mille is my summary of this series

Also LS is actually a moron

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Kaidyn posted:

B_n C_mille is my summary of this series

Also LS is actually a moron

:agreed:

e: pffffffffffffffft ahahahaha

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

:downs: "let's trade baron for both nexus turrets!"

kha'zix: :getin:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Wow, I didn't really expect to see Blank at all this season.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Don't give Faker Jayce.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wait blank still exists? Why don't they just play peenut

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Wait blank still exists? Why don't they just play peenut

Lose game lose role.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Firebert posted:

Watching Impact play Camille right now in solo queue - lol this champ is still completely busted after her nerfs, surprising no one.

Camille's like the old Kassadin. She'll be busted or unplayable until they remove some stuff from her kit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Cloud9 declined IEM Katowice so Europe is sending a fourth team. G2, Unicorns, H2K, and M19 (Albus Nox Luna) join Flash Wolves, Kongdoo Monsters, ROX Tigers, and maybe EDG if China doesn't cancel a fourth time a week before the event.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 14, 2017

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Ok, well, EU should easily win that then

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

henkman posted:

Ok, well, EU should easily win that then

I think EDG is significantly better than all those teams but maybe I'm wrong.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

I think EDG is significantly better than all those teams but maybe I'm wrong.
that always seems to be the case at international competition and always ends up not working out when europe is involved

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?

RealFoxy posted:

Cloud9 declined IEM Katowice so Europe is sending a fourth team. G2, Unicorns, H2K, and M19 (Albus Nox Luna) join Flash Wolves, Kongdoo Monsters, ROX Tigers, and maybe EDG if China doesn't cancel a fourth time a week before the event.

Shouldn't it have been another NA team? If Korea gets to send their trash teams why did it go to EU instead of like NV or something?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Is edge of night a broken item, also why was it introduced?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Kaidyn posted:

Shouldn't it have been another NA team? If Korea gets to send their trash teams why did it go to EU instead of like NV or something?
It's short notice and taking place in EU, so it's easy to just pull a bunch of teams that are already around

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Is edge of night a broken item, also why was it introduced?
Riot wanted to make Zed and Talon strong. Yes it's broken. They made another broken item used by champions it wasn't exactly made for

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
unicorns are gonna roll that poo poo

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

RealFoxy posted:

Riot wanted to make Zed and Talon strong. Yes it's broken. They made another broken item used by champions it wasn't exactly made for
The Most Chill part of all of that is that the "ADCs are we can't have nice things" issue comes up with literally every item rework related to AD and they don't just slap "Melee only" on that poo poo and call it a day

But then they'd probably need to go back and do another ADC rework, or we'd be back to Jhin/Ashe utility carry fest in the meantime

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
G2 going to IEM means either they do well which is great for Europe or they implode and we get a bunch of fresh G2 memes. Sounds good to me.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I was looking at an old Reddit thread for one of the MSI semifinals and this comment about Darshan got me:

tankerton posted:

The dudes a monster. He was always a good top for NA but over the last two years he has grown so much that he's not recognizable by his in game choices. Now he's a formidable world class top that I'm sure any non S-tier team would tremble to matchup against. He's brutal on tanks in team fights, amazing at splitpushing and creating side lane pressure, and smart enough to read macro play and react accordingly. He's one of the few players I'd see as a potential NA export to a foreign region looking for a top tier player.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

MVP is the most oh who cares team in Korea and has been forever and they should be forced to field an interesting player if they're going to keep existing

Max put Velkoz support into solo queue, he's the interesting player/new Madlife.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chris de Sperg posted:

that always seems to be the case at international competition and always ends up not working out when europe is involved

can anyone in europe defeat zet and scout and fireloli? probably not, says this reporter

Urthor posted:

Max put Velkoz support into solo queue, he's the interesting player/new Madlife.

there is nothing interesting about a full damage support in solo queue

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Also Vel'koz support has been a thing since the champion was released

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

I know the whole ADC in 2017 meme, but I sort of wish it would come back. These games with 4-5 Marksman in them are miserable to watch as both teams are completely terrified to engage even with bullshit-level tank tops because the ADCs do absurd damage and can just kite backwards.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 15, 2017

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

graves two bot adcs corki mid, which marksmen am i missing here to ever make it five

graves jungle
corki mid
mf support
and a marksman for each team

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Firebert posted:

graves jungle
corki mid
mf support
and a marksman for each team

i forgot about mf support! she's the only one of those characters who actually gets played as adc now thanks to the lethality changes too, heh

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
everyone who doesn't build ie isn't an adc and should be deleted. or if they have abilities which provide any kind of help for their team they are also not adcs and can be deleted. thank u

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lovechop posted:

everyone who doesn't build ie isn't an adc and should be deleted. or if they have abilities which provide any kind of help for their team they are also not adcs and can be deleted. thank u

this buff to specifically henkman goes too far

edit: oh who cares

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 15, 2017

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

boom boom

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
M19 kills Rox callin it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Kashuno posted:

M19 kills Rox callin it now.

I wouldn't be shocked, who knows what crazy poo poo they will pull.

Also I think G2 loses that match even if they are better than FW.

• Locked thread