Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Turok is one of my favorite games in existence and I don't care if that makes me a dumb idiot with bad taste. Turok rules :colbert:

Turok 2 really goes nuts with the confusing level design, but I'm excited to play it at higher than 10fps so I can probably actually finish it this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I loved the way the first human enemies do that beeline zigzag run and how the tilt their bodies

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

More wonderful work being done on Ken's Labyrinth 2. :toot: I'm extremely proud and happy to be a part of this project.

Quick glance at a test map:

https://twitter.com/KensLabyrinthII/status/830791217281638400?s=09

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cool, a room; haven't seen one of those in a first person shooter before.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

BattleMaster posted:

There's literally no reason to be like this, dude.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

OH poo poo

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

Better wrap up the thread folks, it's all downhill from here

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BattleMaster posted:

Wow you really showed him!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, I really like the art for what I've seen so far. Really nailed that aspect.

Kinda curious about how well it plays, ofc... Been burnt by games that looked stellar but played like rear end before, y'know?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Honestly, I really like the art for what I've seen so far. Really nailed that aspect.

Kinda curious about how well it plays, ofc... Been burnt by games that looked stellar but played like rear end before, y'know?

In terms of art, I completely agree, as biased as that makes me, being a part of the team; so far, our art team has really gotten the "Ken's Labyrinth but newer" look down.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Should've been Build engine imo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guillermus posted:

Last time I checked it on amazon, Quake 4 came with an extra DVD with Q2 so most used copies will not have that. Is it true? Or does it come in the same DVD like Doom/Doom2 on Doom 3 BFG?

I'm really not sure, I never had it personally, but it's not a hard game to find by any means so you could just snag a sealed copy off Amazon.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVrEFFdKVnw&t=104s

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

More wonderful work being done on Ken's Labyrinth 2. :toot: I'm extremely proud and happy to be a part of this project.

Quick glance at a test map:

https://twitter.com/KensLabyrinthII/status/830791217281638400?s=09

Nice, but what are the monsters going to look like? They're what made me not want to play the original game :v:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Buttcoin purse posted:

Nice, but what are the monsters going to look like? They're what made me not want to play the original game :v:
Honestly, what made me not want to play the original game was the inability to strafe and turn at the same time, even with the only source port available.

Apparently you can kinda hack something like that in if you use joystick controls at the same time as keyboard controls in DOSBox (using the keymapper to map things appropriately), but I forget the specifics. May have to try it sometime.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Honestly, what made me not want to play the original game was the inability to strafe and turn at the same time, even with the only source port available.

Apparently you can kinda hack something like that in if you use joystick controls at the same time as keyboard controls in DOSBox (using the keymapper to map things appropriately), but I forget the specifics. May have to try it sometime.

Get the update source port from Ken's site, it has dedicated controls for this.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I stumbled on a post in this thread pointing to a Gearbox patch for Duke3D World Tour that mentioned that they're now including the GRP file with the game. Does that include the new episode? I mean, I'd probably rather play it in Gearbox's engine because I like that rewind feature, but just for completeness' sake.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Buca di Bepis posted:

Should've been Build engine imo

Maybe for historical and aesthetic reasons, but Build is such a hacky mess that I absolutely don't blame the dev team for using the idtech engine.

I love the new Ken's Labyrinth! The textures and level design is so reminiscent of classic DOS games, all colorful and bubbly. I really can't wait to play it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Bundlestars Retroism pack might have a few things for y'all:

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/promotions/retroism-pick-mix

Redline, Slave Zero, Nam, Shadow Ops and Eradicator all have that old school FPS/TPS flavour :cool:

Also the £1 tier of this bundle has Russian jank-love-in Precursors, can't go far wrong.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/chaos-bundle

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I just started Doom II and it feels like a big step backwards. Cheesy music, blander textures, more linear level design (at least so far) and ridiculous amounts of blacked-out corridors. I guess the SSG is cool.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress yeah Slave Zero owned

Vakal
May 11, 2008

verbal enema posted:

gently caress yeah Slave Zero owned

It still a great game, but you might want to look at the GoG release over the Steam version. Slave Zero used nGlide for its advanced graphics option which doesn't play well with Direct3D video cards.

Apparently the GoG version comes with some extra drivers or something that helps fix things.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vakal posted:

It still a great game, but you might want to look at the GoG release over the Steam version. Slave Zero used nGlide for its advanced graphics option which doesn't play well with Direct3D video cards.

Apparently the GoG version comes with some extra drivers or something that helps fix things.

I'd just like to say, I had a Voodoo3. I feel like I can share that here.

(I never played Slave Zero, looks cool!)

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Last time I checked it on amazon, Quake 4 came with an extra DVD with Q2 so most used copies will not have that. Is it true? Or does it come in the same DVD like Doom/Doom2 on Doom 3 BFG?

It's a seperate disc, and not all copies have it. AFAIK only the first run of Quake 4 had the extra disc.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I just started Doom II and it feels like a big step backwards. Cheesy music, blander textures, more linear level design (at least so far) and ridiculous amounts of blacked-out corridors.

I think it's fair to say that that changes, although I only got to around map 12 when replaying it a few years ago - and it was a few years ago - so maybe my memory of it has faded a bit.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh thanks. I was more about spending 15€ on Q2 for the 360 but then having both classic doom games and NRFL is enough. I know I can return the game to amazon if it doesn't have the extra DVD but It's too much effort fora game I'll never play on the 360 (I barely play it on PC anyways nowadays).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Can anyone suggest any music packs or wads when playing DoomII or costum map packs without any costume midi tracks? I love Bobby Prince but I get bored of the Doom II tracks.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Can anyone suggest any music packs or wads when playing DoomII or costum map packs without any costume midi tracks? I love Bobby Prince but I get bored of the Doom II tracks.

Give Jimmy's Jukebox a try. It's a music randomizer that comes pre-packaged with a bunch of music from popular megawads, other 2.5D shooters, and even stuff like the Descent soundtrack.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The Demonsteele music pack with a couple hundred MIDI covers of metal songs can work on its own without Demonsteele.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Both Memento Mori megawads have separate WADs for the music and for a while I used to keep one or the other in ZDoom's skins folder to autoload them when playing other maps.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I just started Doom II and it feels like a big step backwards. Cheesy music, blander textures, more linear level design (at least so far) and ridiculous amounts of blacked-out corridors. I guess the SSG is cool.

The Doom 2 campaign isn't very good imo. It's not super bad but it's not something I'd ever sit down and play through these days without being heavily modded, unlike the original. It feels more like an expansion to Doom than its own game.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I've always preferred Doom II over the first game; none of the levels outside of KDITD are remotely memorable to me outside of a couple standouts (E4M2), whereas I love the vast majority of maps in the sequel.

I just hope we can all agree that TNT is the worst.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Flip Yr Wig posted:

What source port and rendering mode are you using to play it? There shouldn't be many no-light corridors, but some brightness settings and lighting modes will result in things being much darker than intended.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I really enjoyed Doom 2 apart from a couple of maps (The Spirit World, forgot the other one)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoiCaBLbgzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9aPGYOOPJs

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I still genuinely think that Going Down, aside from some of the difficulty spikes, is far and away a better campaign than Doom 2. It really feels to me that it could have been the true Doom 2 instead of what we got, as it feels like it's actually set on earth (which helps that whole 'Hell on Earth' thing), and it's all vanilla compatible, so there's no weird modding required to enjoy it.

Also, it's weird for me to watch the 'w/Bob and David' opening, and think "I've played that guy's Doom 2 WAD."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykPXNhqQM8E

EDIT: Bonus video on Cyriak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3NhV7QtoyI

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 14, 2017

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I've always preferred Doom II over the first game; none of the levels outside of KDITD are remotely memorable to me outside of a couple standouts (E4M2), whereas I love the vast majority of maps in the sequel.

I liked about half of TNT. Compared to Plutonia though, TNT isn't nearly as fun to play.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TNT's gameplay is, err, an acquired taste, but many of the levels were very good-looking for the time. IMO anyway.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shayu posted:

I play Blood the first time and thought it was very difficult, but I recently returned to it and found that the challenge was just enough so that I never felt it was easy, but did not ever get frustrated. I think the difficulty is perfect. I think it is my favorite shooter, but there is no user created content, what a shame.

There is, though!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/death-wish-for-blood

I think this is getting an update soon?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I agree with every word in this post except that I'm not a huge fan of E4M2.

E1 is obviously a masterpiece but I would take pretty much all of Doom 2 over Shores of Hell or Inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

E1, 3, and 4 are all great. I'm really not fond of Shores of Hell. Tower of Babel is a great finale, though, whereas Dis is just eh.