Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alhazred posted:

Remind me again why it's bad show boobs in superhero comics but not to show this.

Because then the door would be open to seeing Superman's weird alien junk, and since everyone wants to see it, DC would have to do it. The problem is, nothing could live up to the hype we've all built up, the mythology we've constructed around Clark Kent's genitals. All we can agree on is that it's gotta be some sick rear end poo poo that'd make you vomit fire, and no artist can do it justice. Thus, we quietly accept a nudity ban so that no one will ever try. It's better it remain a mystery that we forever dream of, inspiring us as Superman should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Alhazred posted:

Remind me again why it's bad show boobs in superhero comics but not to show this.

Because American culture is rooted in Puritanical ethics which consider sex shameful and sinful and violence glorious and necessary.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Alhazred posted:

While I'd rather see 10 dongs and boobs a book than one panel of this, I would not really want to open that door for Cho & Friends. The end result would be Wonder Woman's new costume being topless to be "more authentic" and Spider-Woman featuring nipple web shooters...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Decius posted:

While I'd rather see 10 dongs and boobs a book than one panel of this, I would not really want to open that door for Cho & Friends. The end result would be Wonder Woman's new costume being topless to be "more authentic" and Spider-Woman featuring nipple web shooters...

I'm pretty sure it isn't a choice between "no nudity" or :byodood:all nudity all the time:byodood:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure it isn't a choice between "no nudity" or :byodood:all nudity all the time:byodood:

idk man have you seen some european comics

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
There's plenty of comics that have nudity, some superhero-ish ones even. It's just that the Big Two don't do it because they are kinda still adhering to the Comics Code in some ways.

The new Jessica Jones series even has an Explicit Content tag on it for language, since Marvel no longer has an imprint for that kind of stuff like they did when Alias was coming out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There will never be anything more than naked butts in T+ comics, but they had full frontal male nudity in Unfollow.
Midnighter had dudes explicitly boning in as much detail as you could get without actually showing anything.

edit: There was just this in Batman

I was gonna say the comics code people probably didn't have this in mind, but Fredric Wertham would just be relieved it wasn't Batman and Robin porking.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 13, 2017

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
If you ever read God Is Dead (which started out interesting and got stupid) there was so much male and female nudity in it that it barely made sense as to why it was included.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

If you ever read God Is Dead (which started out interesting and got stupid) there was so much male and female nudity in it that it barely made sense as to why it was included.

I'll tell you why. Because it was a book made by Avatar Press. Ridiculous violence and sex is their thing. Their only thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can understand nudity though I don't really agree it should be always bad but it always feels absurdly dishonest to me that absurd supergore is okay but saying 'gently caress' isn't.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Midnighter had dudes explicitly boning in as much detail as you could get without actually showing anything.
I specifically remember Steve Orlando stating that he went as close as he could because of how much Big Two comics had already gotten away with for male/female scenes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ImpAtom posted:

I can understand nudity though I don't really agree it should be always bad but it always feels absurdly dishonest to me that absurd supergore is okay but saying 'gently caress' isn't.

For sure, we're super weird about foul language and it makes no real logical sense. I'm all for restricting hate speech and dangerous reckless speech (fire in a crowded theater, etc) but the idea that there's this list of Forbidden Utterances regardless of context has always been weird to me. Why it's ok to say "Those two characters had sex" and not "Those two characters hosed" is completely arbitrary.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

For sure, we're super weird about foul language and it makes no real logical sense. I'm all for restricting hate speech and dangerous reckless speech (fire in a crowded theater, etc) but the idea that there's this list of Forbidden Utterances regardless of context has always been weird to me. Why it's ok to say "Those two characters had sex" and not "Those two characters hosed" is completely arbitrary.

It's even more absurd when Wolverine can say "go gently caress yourselves" in the movies but not in the comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

It's even more absurd when Wolverine can say "go gently caress yourselves" in the movies but not in the comics.

People still cling to the idea that comics are for children. I've had numerous religious crusaders in the store seeking to prevent certain evil comics from ending up in the hands of children.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wolverine is for children. I dunno if those PG-13 movies really needed any cussin' (edit: and I don't think the current Old Man Logan series I'm reading would be improved by any either.) (edit2: Though, I guess it is fun to hear a rare PG swear at the movies when you're a kid.)
I remember finding it weird when he actually killed human soldier guys in X2.

The Vision was one of the only real mature superhero comics recently and it didn't have much to do with explicit content.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 13, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hopefully now that Watchmen is making its way into the DCU we will get to see Manhattan's glorious blue dong in a Superman book.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wolverine is for children. I dunno if those PG-13 movies really needed any cussin'
Movies will deliberately put in a few swear words to get a PG-13 rating instead of a PG rating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I know they're not really a 'thing' in current DC but with Captain Marvel going by Shazam have they ever clarified what Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr would be called these days?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

I know they're not really a 'thing' in current DC but with Captain Marvel going by Shazam have they ever clarified what Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr would be called these days?

I think they are calling him Captain Marvel again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think so. I don't even think Mary and Freddy have been seen since Johns' mini that reintroduced Billy to the N52.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I don't think so. I don't even think Mary and Freddy have been seen since Johns' mini that reintroduced Billy to the N52.

And rightly so as they are garbage characters who belong in the dumpster.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think they are calling him Captain Marvel again.

I sure hope so!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Woah there. Where are those wrong opinions coming from, friend?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

This except exactly the opposite.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
TT and Titans crossover in May

quote:

As DC Rebirth continues, more mysteries about its hidden history are being answered, and one of the biggest is that of Deathstroke‘s relationship to the former Teen Titans. This May, Deathstroke, Titans, and Teen Titans will crossover for a four-part event titled “The Lazarus Contract,” as Slade Wilson targets the returned Wally West as part of an effort to resurrect his son Grant, aka the original Ravager.
The event is written jointly by Dan Abnett, Benjamin Percy, and Christopher Priest, and features art by Brett Booth, Khoi Pham, Carlo Pagulayan and Paul Pelletier. The name of the crossover brings to mind the famous “Judas Contract” storyline from Marv Wolfman and George Perez‘s New Teen Titans, which saw Deathstroke try to bring down the Titans from within, and it seems key answers may be found in the history of Deathstroke and the Titans.

http://comicsalliance.com/lazarus-contract-crossover-exclusive/

Honestly, the only thing I'm curious about is the fact this will be the first meeting of Kori and Roy since they split. I sure hope their relationship is acknowledged.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ooof. Very hard for me to care about Deathstroke.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Ooof. Very hard for me to care about Deathstroke.

Try this issue
http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/dc-comics/deathstroke-(2016)/11

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

the only thing I'm curious about is... Kori and Roy

We know.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 13, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Boy am I not interested in another Judas Contract.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKZNHiva7dc
:swoon:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That was fast

:v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wait, Ra's disrespected nature? I thought his whole deal was trying to kill 95% of humanity for the sake of the Earth? Swamp Thing sure is ungrateful!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's such a shame that Damian is aged up. Would they really get in that much trouble for letting you beat up a tiny 10-13 year old?

edit: Probably, but these are the Mortal Kombat people. A bit of controversy is good for 'em.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 13, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's such a shame that Damian is aged up. Would they really get in that much trouble for letting you beat up a 10-13 year old?

Violence against kids can be an extremely big thing in certain countries, and while Injustice is no Mortal Kombat it's still an extremely violent game.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Wait, Ra's disrespected nature? I thought his whole deal was trying to kill 95% of humanity for the sake of the Earth? Swamp Thing sure is ungrateful!

I think Swamp Thing would probably take issue with the whole unnaturally prolonged life due to use/abuse of Lazarus pits

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

TT and Titans crossover in May

http://comicsalliance.com/lazarus-contract-crossover-exclusive/

Honestly, the only thing I'm curious about is the fact this will be the first meeting of Kori and Roy since they split. I sure hope their relationship is acknowledged.

This can't be a Titan's of any sort, of event unless someone gets amputated against their will. :colbert:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 14, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The cover for Wild Storm #4 makes me think I'll really like this thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

The cover for Wild Storm #4 makes me think I'll really like this thing.

Too bad you won't read it until January

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Of 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's a preview and interview for the first issue that just went up.
http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/dc-comics-writer-warren-ellis-revisits-wildstorm-superheroes.html

Edit: And a Comixology sale for all his DC/ Vert/Wildstorm stuff.
https://www.comixology.com/Warren-Ellis-Collection-Sale/page/14092?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That's a hell of a timetwisty hyperbolic intro.