Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I've hit a bit of a brick wall and am thinking about respeccing to focus on swords. I was using axes until just now and have so much stamina I can pretty much wear heavy armor with A agility. Conversely I have only 8 heart.

Any good recommendations for a good sword build, preferably something with magic? My instinct is probably to ensure fast roll in light armor and just watch the damage stat go up. Magic if that increases elemental damage from natural elemental weapons anyway.

With all the stats and options in this game I wish I could save my build and swap between it and a different weapon focus.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sword plus magic. That's the build. This game rewards spreading your points out much more than souls/bb. You will want at least 15 in spirit. You stop getting more magic capacity after 30 capacity, so you can slow your roll in magic after that. There's a pretty comprehensive post on reddit abiut the deminishing returns of various stats, and our own Harrow made a post a few pages back about stat distribution as well.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
How do you unlock onmyo and ninja mystic arts? I only have the weapon ones in the dojo

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

SLOSifl posted:

I've hit a bit of a brick wall and am thinking about respeccing to focus on swords. I was using axes until just now and have so much stamina I can pretty much wear heavy armor with A agility. Conversely I have only 8 heart.

Any good recommendations for a good sword build, preferably something with magic? My instinct is probably to ensure fast roll in light armor and just watch the damage stat go up. Magic if that increases elemental damage from natural elemental weapons anyway.

With all the stats and options in this game I wish I could save my build and swap between it and a different weapon focus.

Does axe focused str/stamina build not work out? That's what I was doing + magic, but I'm still in the early game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The run back to the smoking castle boss is dumb

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Megasabin posted:

Does axe focused str/stamina build not work out? That's what I was doing + magic, but I'm still in the early game.
Oh no, it's been working great. All of my souls first runs were two handed poo poo like axes or giant clubs and fast rolls.

My problem is that I hit one boss I just can't beat in the fifth region. I've summoned for this boss only and almost everyone had died quickly.

While waiting for summons I started playing with different weapons to increase familiarity and get skill points. I just happened to really like swords, single and double, from playing with them. Just want a change before I exit this level and try again later.

Edit: oh and having so much invested in stamina and none in heart is probably hindering me in that respect. And I could max out the sword skill tree if I gave up my points in axes

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

tap my mountain posted:

How do you unlock onmyo and ninja mystic arts? I only have the weapon ones in the dojo

Its a skill tree on you weapon tree screen. Eventually in the story you will get adept ninja dojo then later veteran ninja dojo. That unlocks the powers. Play more story.

Dojo missions are preset builds you have to use. Sorry if that sounds basic. Your question seems like you are really lost.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Oh..Cool..A poison mine..

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The bird guy? There are like 50 shortcuts in that level. I guess that is a burning castle, and probably a different mission.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Snak posted:

The bird guy? There are like 50 shortcuts in that level. I guess that is a burning castle, and probably a different mission.

I guess it is more of a village. The ninja place

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Bombadilillo posted:

Its a skill tree on you weapon tree screen. Eventually in the story you will get adept ninja dojo then later veteran ninja dojo. That unlocks the powers. Play more story.

Dojo missions are preset builds you have to use. Sorry if that sounds basic. Your question seems like you are really lost.

No what I mean is how do you unlock the mystic arts, which are the two ultimate abilities on the right side of the skill tree. I already unlocked the ones for each weapon type and beat Yagyu for the katana mystic art, now I want the onmyo one since I am very invested in magic.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
You just have to have 20 points in it and it should unlock in Act 5.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

tap my mountain posted:

No what I mean is how do you unlock the mystic arts, which are the two ultimate abilities on the right side of the skill tree. I already unlocked the ones for each weapon type and beat Yagyu for the katana mystic art, now I want the onmyo one since I am very invested in magic.

Oh no idea there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm not even learning any of the bosses anymore or dodging, I'm just running around until I can stack all my debuffs and buffs and then mashing

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Was the Umi Bozu supposed to take like 15 minutes to kill? Jesus

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guw posted:

No. Did you use fire and hit him in his weak point?

Side note: I just discovered that Iai Quickdraw does not apply any elemental damage. Night Rain does. Might be relevant if you're a magic build. I have not tried tiger sprint.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Guw posted:

Did you use any fire on him

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Man, I keep trying to high five people and everyone either waves or bows or whatever... Why do they leave me hangin'?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

In the later regions you can unlock them when you have 500k proficiency in a weapon and 20 relevant stat for ninjustu / magic.

Then you can respec out of the 20 stats for dex / magic but still learn and equip the mystic artes :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not sure which boss you mean, but you're probably missing a shortcut or a shrine if so. This game likes to hide shrines that are a straight shot to the boss off the beaten path to reward fully exploring.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zaphod42 posted:

Not sure which boss you mean, but you're probably missing a shortcut or a shrine if so. This game likes to hide shrines that are a straight shot to the boss off the beaten path to reward fully exploring.

I know what boss he means, and I agree with him. I genuinely get lost in that stupid burning building trying to find the stairs.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh my god I never want to fight the end boss again. Holy hell thats a low point of the game.

Also I think the moral of the story is Oda Nobunaga did nothing wrong.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TaurusOxford posted:

I know what boss he means, and I agree with him. I genuinely get lost in that stupid burning building trying to find the stairs.

It made me pine for the souls games where building interiors are mostly designed like actual building interiors and not mazes for insane people.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
freed from this mortal coil

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

Immortal Flame?

Saika Magoichi? I can never learn boss names because I don't have time to read during the boss fight. I look them up later. I don't know if the boss name in the fight is Saika Magatoichi or Suzuki Shigetomo.

Dope fight, either way.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

There's a super fast route with no fighting direct from the shrine if you open the shortcuts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Umi bozus second phase is unmitigated bullshit. The hardest part about it is the lovely camera and the fact that the thing that makes it so you don't fall is magically turned off for the fight for some reason.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sorry, in the scenario I'm referring to the boss is smoking a pipe, and it's not in a castle. The Iga Escape. Going through that maze of doors was a pain. Good to know that there's an even better run in the future!

Also I am surprised that a demo level is actually pretty far into the game. Since I've already done this with a low-level character it should be simple, right

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sorry, in the scenario I'm referring to the boss is smoking a pipe, and it's not in a castle. The Iga Escape. Going through that maze of doors was a pain. Good to know that there's an even better run in the future!

Is it the giant toad boss in the bay house? Yeah, I feel your pain. But once you learn it, there is a pretty quick way to get there.

That's a fun boss too. This is a fun game.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I was not talking about that one, who is a cool boss for sure. But that said there probably is a faster route.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Where the hell are +2 or higher divine weapons? The help text makes it seem like you need a higher +x weapon than the base item in order to upgrade them, but I'm quite a few missions into ng+ and I haven't seen anything other than +0 or +1.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
they should really have a face pop up every time they mention a character's name.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh man, The Source of Evil is one hell of a mission. Sure, let me just [spoiler]fight an Onryoki from a regular goddamn yokai portal[spoiler] sure, why not.

I haven't really felt outmatched by the bosses of these late-game missions but the missions themselves are getting really nasty.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress this poison mine centipede​ dick head

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Climb the ladders and gently caress him up with plunging attacks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah his AI is so stupid once you figure out how to bait it into plunging attacks he can't even hit you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

verbal enema posted:

Pro tip: That chomping attack it does while it's squirming after you can be blocked for no damage to make it instantly stop and try to hit you. Just do that, smack it a few times, then wait for it to start chomping after you again.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Harrow posted:

Climb the ladders and gently caress him up with plunging attacks.

Yeah I saw that now I gotta figure that out or I'll do the blocking thing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I got to the point where I can get to the second phase of Umi Bozu without taking a hit but I just seem to always get randomly slobbered on or fall in the water in the last phase. usually he has like 1-5 hits left on him. So frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Naomasa will not drop his smithing texts and I hate his dumb rear end.