Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

Eh, I'm happy to go to movies by myself but a theatre production is another thing... idk, maybe my mum will want to see it :v:

Yeah, take your mom. I went to TLK with my mom in Vegas and she really loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Das Boo posted:

I'm not really disappointed, I just really admire when animation can create something thoroughly unique. My all time favorite animated sequence is the creation story segment in Watership Down. :allears:
It's just if and when it happens, I'm super jazzed about it.

I really like "The Book of Kells" and "The Song of the Sea" or "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" for this reason. Expecting Disney to go off-brand though is probably a false hope.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

starkebn posted:

I really like "The Book of Kells" and "The Song of the Sea" or "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" for this reason. Expecting Disney to go off-brand though is probably a false hope.

Well, I think they can still be on-brand and play with things outside the main cast; for example, their John Henry is as standard as it comes in terms of character design for them, but the aesthetic approach as a whole reads as very unique due to tricks of perspective and retaining organic linework.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lmP6e6kbmg

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pick posted:

Well, I think they can still be on-brand and play with things outside the main cast; for example, their John Henry is as standard as it comes in terms of character design for them, but the aesthetic approach as a whole reads as very unique due to tricks of perspective and retaining organic linework.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lmP6e6kbmg

yeah, cool, I agree. But you can't expect Disney of all companies to go off the beaten path for their blockbuster movies.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I saw the Frozen live show at Disneyland Resort yesterday. The mother character was played by a black actress and Anna was either black or half-black. The show itself was pretty dire* apart from all the fancy tech toys they were showing off, but it was really refreshing to get to see a major character given that level of color-blindness. Hopefully this crosses over into animation and we get more projects with diverse casts that aren't reliant on being about a specific culture. (Not that Disney is doing a bad job with those or anything)

*I was likely not the target audience, as 75% of the adult women in the audience cheered enthusiastically when "Let It Go" started.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

starkebn posted:

yeah, cool, I agree. But you can't expect Disney of all companies to go off the beaten path for their blockbuster movies.

No, not all of them, just maybe some of them :shrug:. There is no perfect style forever, because the zeitgeist will change, and you can either react to that passively or you can be on the cutting edge and participate in defining it. I think Disney is playing it a little too safe and making it too possible for someone else to threaten their essentially unchallenged control of that part of American culture.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
IMO, Disney should commit to a plan, kind of like Pixar's plan to make no more than 1/3 of their movies prequels, to make at least 1/3 of their movies stylistically unique. We could get a Paperman-ish movie, a faux-stop-motion movie, a movie in that faux-painted style Rapunzel was supposed to be in, etc

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

dirksteadfast posted:

I saw the Frozen live show at Disneyland Resort yesterday. The mother character was played by a black actress and Anna was either black or half-black. The show itself was pretty dire* apart from all the fancy tech toys they were showing off, but it was really refreshing to get to see a major character given that level of color-blindness. Hopefully this crosses over into animation and we get more projects with diverse casts that aren't reliant on being about a specific culture. (Not that Disney is doing a bad job with those or anything)

*I was likely not the target audience, as 75% of the adult women in the audience cheered enthusiastically when "Let It Go" started.

I don't get it, what made the show dire? You just say it wasn't for you because people cheered when they sang a song?

:psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

I don't get it, what made the show dire? You just say it wasn't for you because people cheered when they sang a song?

I assume they did not enjoy the show at all but also admit they are not in Frozen's target audience and thus that may not apply to people who are.

21 Muns posted:

IMO, Disney should commit to a plan, kind of like Pixar's plan to make no more than 1/3 of their movies prequels, to make at least 1/3 of their movies stylistically unique. We could get a Paperman-ish movie, a faux-stop-motion movie, a movie in that faux-painted style Rapunzel was supposed to be in, etc

Disney had all 5 of the top 5 grossing movies last year. I imagine their response to that is 'lol, why?'

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ImpAtom posted:

Disney had all 5 of the top 5 grossing movies last year. I imagine their response to that is 'lol, why?'

See, that's something I really admired about Walt Disney- He risked financial loss to push innovative artforms. It's a pity Disney Corp can't be arsed to do that with billions behind them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember that some people back in the day got really mad at Walt for attempting to release a full-length animated movie. "How dare this purveyor of one-reel novelties fancy himself a real filmmaker?!" Disney's empire was basically founded on one of the biggest risks in cinema history.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Disney works have been fairly risky in terms of writing, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

See, that's something I really admired about Walt Disney- He risked financial loss to push innovative artforms. It's a pity Disney Corp can't be arsed to do that with billions behind them.

I think Disney is willing to take risks in some form or another, in terms of writing or casting. Maybe things that shouldn't be risk ("A woman star? Well, I never!") but they're not 100% safe at all times. That said I do wish they'd be willing to do more artistically. Hell, I wish we still got 2D films.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe Musker and Clements will do another 2D film next :kiddo:

2Princess2Frog coming 2025

starkebn
May 18, 2004

there has to be some other "foreign" mythology or legend they can butcher for a 2D film right?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ooh ouch, shots fired

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Drifter posted:

I think the idea is that someone who rolls their eyes at the starting notes of Let It Go really shouldn't have been watching a Frozen play.

starkebn posted:

there has to be some other "foreign" mythology or legend they can butcher for a 2D film right?

Aren't half of the 2D Disney films German fairy tales? I'm not sure what brought this on unless you really hated Mulan/Hercules/Aladdin.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 14, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

mycot posted:

Aren't half of the 2D Disney films German fairy tales? I'm not sure what brought this on unless you really hated Mulan/Hercules/Aladdin.

I enjoy most of the main Disney movies, but the stories are notorious for ripping the barest ideas of a foreign tale and "adapting" them. Whether you think that is a bad thing or not is up to you, like I said I think most of the movies are pretty fun to watch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty alright with Disney not including the rape from their version of Sleeping Beauty.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

starkebn posted:

i guess they could do season 1 of Babylon 5

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

starkebn posted:

Assuming they don't use them all up on their 3D films (eg: Moana with the legend of Maui), I'm sure they can find something.

But even then, they've started creating original stories entirely, like Zootopia or Wreck-It Ralph!, or started adapting really obscure Marvel properties like Big Hero 6, so they've got a fair bit to work with before we hit that point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fangz posted:

Disney works have been fairly risky in terms of writing, though.

You're kidding, right? About the only film in recent memory I can think of this would apply to is Maleficent, which I respect for the effort it made but didn't really pan out.

e: I mean maybe if you include Pixar under the "Disney" umbrella.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 14, 2017

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
'racism is bad, and systemic, and still happening' is a pretty risky message in modern-day america, tbh

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd go further than that:
'here, we made a movie with non-whites and oh also women' is incredibly subversive in the trumpian landscape

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You're kidding, right? About the only film in recent memory I can think of this would apply to is Maleficent, which I respect for the effort it made but didn't really pan out.

e: I mean maybe if you include Pixar under the "Disney" umbrella.

I don't think Pixar is any riskier. "Sad fish succeed by being scrappy"?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

'here, we made a movie with non-whites and oh also women' is incredibly subversive in the trumpian landscape

Is that really a risk when it's coming from the company that built it's empire on the Princess Movie?

EDIT: I mean I guess that could apply to Star Wars VII, maybe, but that's Star Wars, even the prequels were massive successes so just being better than those movies would make them money printers regardless of casting choices.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Is it though? Like yeah trying to tackle racism is cool but if the bar for subversive art is at "minorities and women are present" you're setting some real low standards.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I was making a joke about how the world is poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Is that really a risk when it's coming from the company that built it's empire on the Princess Movie?.

Yes, because "Princess Movie" doesn't mean the same thing now as it did then, and they're also not just doing it with movies involving princesses.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, because "Princess Movie" doesn't mean the same thing now as it did then, and they're also not just doing it with movies involving princesses.

"Most Disney princesses wear a ring. This Princess dominates one."

- Punch -
coming 2019

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Drifter posted:

- Punch -
coming 2019

i'd fuckin watch that

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Drifter posted:

- Punch -
coming 2019

Magic Hate Ball posted:

i'd fuckin watch that

In addition to echoing the sentiment, let me share Masaaki Yuasa's Kick-Heart, which features a wrestling nun:

https://vimeo.com/channels/559477/70299629

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Drifter posted:

- Punched -
coming 2019

Just a slight edit.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm pretty alright with Disney not including the rape from their version of Sleeping Beauty.
yeah, because they went with the Perrault story, which is what the Tchaikovsky ballet was based on, and that version doesn't involve rape.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Drifter posted:

- Punch -
coming 2019

I thought this was real for a second and got excited, then I looked it up and realized it's a joke.

Now I'm sad.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

- Punch -
coming 2019

:neckbeard:

Ooh ooh ooh, what animal sidekick does she have? :3:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Hedrigall posted:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

this is her old trainer who dies before her fight for the title

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hedrigall posted:

I vote Betta fish or Rhinoceros Beetle.

Comedy Option: an elk. He can hold her towels for her, but when she's getting pummeled in act 1 there's a moment of suspense when he can't get the towel unstuck to throw it in.

Actually, just go with the elk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

- Punch -
coming 2019

Well, I'm upset this film doesn't exist now.