Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Zangyack shows up to conquer Earth and 34 teams of Sentai show up to kick their rear end and send them packing.

These Jark Matter jokers show up to conquer Earth and do so with no resistance.

Maybe they were all taking a nap.

Everyone was too busy dealing with the sudden appearance and influx of Zyumans to be adequately prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Xelkelvos posted:

Finally watched episode 1. What's the total number of times Lucky said "lucky"? That was actually really annoying. Green has no real personality afaict so far. Garu is pretty meh except that he's voiced by the same VA as Zoro from One Piece. Hopefully it'll improve once they're done with the requisite recruitment drive and the first round of collectible gathering.

The first episodes always look flashier than the later episodes. Expect less CG'd explosions per episode until the middle climax and the end. It's good to know that the Helheim props from Kamen Rider Gaim are getting maximum use though. They also made an appearance in Zyuuranger too iirc.

Green's catchphrase appeared to be "this is hilarious" and she used it both for Lucky being an oblivious idiot and (apparently) ruining things, as well as the goofy banter towards the end. Maybe she's a psychopath which would fit the Mele cosplay

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Mister Olympus posted:

Green's catchphrase appeared to be "this is hilarious" and she used it both for Lucky being an oblivious idiot and (apparently) ruining things, as well as the goofy banter towards the end. Maybe she's a psychopath which would fit the Mele cosplay

Amu 2.0: We've reduced the emotions and increased the brutality, plus we've added the Ninja DLC.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I suspect my favorite ranger is going to be green because she doesn't have a quirk.

This show seems to be right up my alley so far, but the cool mech battle just reminded me how Abaranger's first mech battle was a CGI filled nighttime epic and all the later episodes were the old familiar.

"The bad guys have already won" is a common anime sci-fi cliche that hasn't been used too often in sentai so that's interesting. Uhhhh, that's all I have to say.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Craptacular! posted:

I suspect my favorite ranger is going to be green because she doesn't have a quirk.

This show seems to be right up my alley so far, but the cool mech battle just reminded me how Abaranger's first mech battle was a CGI filled nighttime epic and all the later episodes were the old familiar.

"The bad guys have already won" is a common anime sci-fi cliche that hasn't been used too often in sentai so that's interesting. Uhhhh, that's all I have to say.

Green absolutely has a quirk, which is that she loves seeing other people gently caress up completely. She's gonna be the one absolutely roasting the monster of the week's personality and scheme, and I'm on board with it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad premiere, though I'm a bit worried that Lucky might turn into another Daigo/Takaharu (that is, having the show start revolving soley around him to the detriment of the rest of his team).

It is interesting to see a Sentai that doesn't start on Earth for a change (in fact, Earth hasn't even been mentioned yet though I'm sure they'll probably end up going there eventually). But overall yeah, this show definitely has me interested so far, hope it keeps up this way.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Not a bad premiere, though I'm a bit worried that Lucky might turn into another Daigo/Takaharu (that is, having the show start revolving soley around him to the detriment of the rest of his team).

It is interesting to see a Sentai that doesn't start on Earth for a change (in fact, Earth hasn't even been mentioned yet though I'm sure they'll probably end up going there eventually). But overall yeah, this show definitely has me interested so far, hope it keeps up this way.

While Lucky isn't hyper competent at least, he has weaponized plot armor in the form of his extreme luck which could be even more bullshit.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Xelkelvos posted:

While Lucky isn't hyper competent at least, he has weaponized plot armor in the form of his extreme luck which could be even more bullshit.

I'm better disposed to it than Daigo's nonsense, just because it's not really anything he seems to intentionally do, and seeing the ways that the universe will contrive increasingly improbable asspulls sounds like fun to me.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

It's not like Lucky doesn't eat copious amounts of poo poo in between his bouts of random rear end in a top hat luck.

Dude has managed to crash his ship twice, almost get blown up, get thrown out into space.

It's not even just 'good luck' so much as the universe keeps doing stuff that is straight up 'you should not survive this' and then he survives by an equally dumb turn of luck. If it stays like that I would enjoy it a lot.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Mister Olympus posted:

I'm better disposed to it than Daigo's nonsense, just because it's not really anything he seems to intentionally do, and seeing the ways that the universe will contrive increasingly improbable asspulls sounds like fun to me.

Red Ranger Chirico Cuvie is a terrifying but admittedly intriguing concept.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Larryb posted:

The very first scene took place on Earth.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
Kyuranger is eclectic as heck but I thought Ex-Aid looked too nuts until I gave it a chance.

Diggin it so far. Usually I'm not a fan of the hyper-Red's but this one has a Luffy-esque quality about him. Naive but with a "GET OVER YOURSELF. LET'S FRIGGIN DO IT!" attitude.
Lucky has Nagito Komaeda's "talent" from Dangan Ronpa 2. I hope equally as nuts things happen around him as they did in DR3 (let's not talk about the rest of that show...).

I hope it continues to escalate down the path and be Gurren Sentai Lagannranger + Mass Effect 2.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly surprised no one in this thread has made a Scooty Puff Jr joke about Lucky's space bike yet

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I've only tipped my toes in Sentai every other year (and started go-busters, follow Power Rangers) but this Red's luck thing is really concerning me. There's fun stuff like clearing a path of foes or having the bigger grunts get washed away in the waves when they got the upper hand, but stuff like "oh, i'm so lucky that i'm STRONGER THAN YOU." or how the leo orb showed up were potentially annoying. Like, I don't mind them too much, but if that latter stuff becomes a trend then it'll seriously damper my enjoyment.

Green also has a super forced gimmick, I mostly know it from Calisto Yew, an attorney in the Ace Attorney Investigations 1 game, but yeah, forcing a laugh whenever someone does something earnest or fails is some kind of gimmick.

I hope the show stabilizes into something nice, burning through "red vs blue in the beach to regain the will to fight", "almost dying in the cold vacuum of space" followed by "variation on Running Transformation" and that big awesome megazord fight was dope, but makes me worry about the legs the show will actually have.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I hope the show stabilizes into something nice, burning through "red vs blue in the beach to regain the will to fight", "almost dying in the cold vacuum of space" followed by "variation on Running Transformation" and that big awesome megazord fight was dope, but makes me worry about the legs the show will actually have.

It's cool, the legs are interchangeable this year.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Coq au Nandos posted:

It's cool, the legs are interchangeable this year.

They can even use the legs as arms!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I can't believe a kid's show has got them crotch thrusting whilst shouting "BALLS BALLS BALLS."

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

The Deleter posted:

I can't believe a kid's show has got them crotch thrusting whilst shouting "BALLS BALLS BALLS."

Are you new to this "Japan" thing? :)

Watched Carranger vs. Megaranger for the first time in years. Reinforces that Minoru is the best, Kyosuke is 2nd. The other are...there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Deleter posted:

Well as long as Gold isn't parading his Gin Tama around, I think it'll be okay.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fezz posted:

The very first scene took place on Earth.

Ah so it did, well at least it's not the main focus this time around. My main problem with Lucky is that, if his streak of dumb luck is mishandled, means you have a character that is essentially invincible and that's just boring to watch. Hopefully they dial it back a bit as the show goes on.

Still a decent show otherwise though (Black is probably my favorite so far, though Gold and Silver look like they have potential).

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

Larryb posted:

My main problem with Lucky is that, if his streak of dumb luck is mishandled, means you have a character that is essentially invincible and that's just boring to watch. Hopefully they dial it back a bit as the show goes on.

That character trait doesn't have to be boring. If they keep going over the top with it and have big chain reactions could be very entertaining. Of course at some point it will need to back fire and hurt someone else or fail him and he'll have to over come it with his own ability, and all that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yeah, Super Sentai seems like exactly the kind of series overall that will take a moment to have a really preachy episode where Lucky learns it's irresponsible to coast through life relying on good luck.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I too would be happy if Lucky's gimmick was a reverse Final Destination.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
If Champ doesn't get a wrestling episode featuring someone from NJPW I'll be slightly disappointed.
Tanahashi was already in Kamen Rider, do it!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kuso Meriken posted:

That character trait doesn't have to be boring. If they keep going over the top with it and have big chain reactions could be very entertaining. Of course at some point it will need to back fire and hurt someone else or fail him and he'll have to over come it with his own ability, and all that.

True, at least it's entertaining and his actor is decent enough (and honestly if Takaharu's actor had displayed even half the enthusiasm that Daigo's did I probably would have been able to tolerate him a lot more).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

I too would be happy if Lucky's gimmick was a reverse Final Destination.

This would be amazing if they delve into it.
"So, it seems to be the case that primal cosmic forces refuse to let you die."

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Kuso Meriken posted:

If Champ doesn't get a wrestling episode featuring someone from NJPW I'll be slightly disappointed.

Kenny Omega voicing a villain of the week would own.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

This would be amazing if they delve into it.
"So, it seems to be the case that primal cosmic forces refuse to let you die."

The Sentai version of Ricewind from the Discwirld series.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Kuso Meriken posted:

There is absolutely going to be an episode where it turns out Champ only lost one match in his entire career, and it was right before he became a Kyuranger, where he lost his Championship Belt to somebody.

Then that person is going to be a MotW and it'll be revealed he was working for Jark Matter the whole time and cheated.

I 100% guarantee this episode will happen. Lucky will probably figure out he cheated by accidentally falling down an elevator shaft and discovering the plot or something.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stallion Cabana posted:

There is absolutely going to be an episode where it turns out Champ only lost one match in his entire career, and it was right before he became a Kyuranger, where he lost his Championship Belt to somebody.

Then that person is going to be a MotW and it'll be revealed he was working for Jark Matter the whole time and cheated.

I 100% guarantee this episode will happen. Lucky will probably figure out he cheated by accidentally falling down an elevator shaft and discovering the plot or something.

Lucky will wrestle that dude to protect his Good Pal's honor or whatever, and somehow win the match even though the monster was cheating during like every move.

This will result in a giant tantrum on live galactic TV where the monster explains that it should have been physically impossible for Lucky to win the match because he rigged it, and Hammy will hop up on the ropes to be all,
"Nice meltdown :allears:"

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wish there could be a crossover episode with Zyuohger so Leo and Champ could wrestle a tag team match.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Ex-Aid's writing is so incredibly bad, like holy poo poo.

When a guy kicks another guy through a mountain so hard he gets set on fire, though, I'm like "Yeah, I can watch it for another week".

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

TerminusEst13 posted:

Ex-Aid's writing is so incredibly bad, like holy poo poo.

When a guy kicks another guy through a mountain so hard he gets set on fire, though, I'm like "Yeah, I can watch it for another week".

Shaezerus complained to me one time, and I kind of agree, that EX-Aid solves and creates plot issues by having a character do whatever the dumbest possible thing to do in that situation would be.

But it's flashy and it always seems like it's on the cusp of going somewhere really good so I keep watching.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stallion Cabana posted:

Shaezerus complained to me one time, and I kind of agree, that EX-Aid solves and creates plot issues by having a character do whatever the dumbest possible thing to do in that situation would be.

But it's flashy and it always seems like it's on the cusp of going somewhere really good so I keep watching.

I like how the doctor who is literally a criminal and lives in like an abandoned industrial office now has a plucky teenage sidekick who he lets boss him around like he's a put-upon babysitter. I'm going to be really amused if her parents show up to see why she's living with this 20something mob doctor out of wedlock.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Alternative-opinion: EX-AID's writing is good and has been from the beginning, and this latest episode was loving fantastic.

Dan's Mandark laugh was incredible.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Justin_Brett posted:

I wish there could be a crossover episode with Zyuohger so Leo and Champ could wrestle a tag team match.

There's always the Kyuranger vs. Zyuohger movie.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

I say this every time somebody compares Daigo to Takaharu because it's really important.
Daigo was undoubtedly overfocused on in Kyoryuger, but as a character he was a natural leader who brought out the best in his team and truly appreciated, respected, and had faith in them and never not once acted like he was better than them.
Takaharu is a spoiled poo poo who has raw talent and that's it. He constantly has to be told that he can't just do everything himself, even though he usually does. He's incredibly dense and has his head so far up his rear end that he can't see that he's always acting like he's an absolute jerk. And in the world of the show, that's fine. Takaharu is just better, and he never goes through an arc to learn humility.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Finally got around to watching Kyuranger and they are making it really hard for me not to mentally substitute Lucky with Luckiero everytime he's on screen. Admittedly, that just makes it funnier to watch.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I think I might be due for a re-watch of Kyoryuger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Watching Parad beat the poo poo out of Dan was extremely satisfying.

• Locked thread