Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

morallyobjected posted:

my wife hates playing scary games but loves watching them. any recommendations for subtitled horror-ish games (she doesn't like people talking over stuff very much)? we've already watched Bioshock, SOMA, and Outlast

Lone Survivor is a fantastically atmospheric game with a subtitled LPer guiding up through it. Highly recced!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

my wife hates playing scary games but loves watching them. any recommendations for subtitled horror-ish games (she doesn't like people talking over stuff very much)? we've already watched Bioshock, SOMA, and Outlast

The Siren is a good subtitled one.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

morallyobjected posted:

Check out Lifeless Planet by Negatron00 if you've got archives - this has a really cool atmosphere as well as a great soothing soundtrack:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3716522
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCZ5kWRk3zlxyr_7K4ZxfR7A

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Can anyone recommend me an informative not-blind NG LP of Demon's Souls? I thought Geop did one in addition to Dark Souls, but I was wrong.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

RJWaters2 posted:

Can anyone recommend me an informative not-blind NG LP of Demon's Souls? I thought Geop did one in addition to Dark Souls, but I was wrong.

There's Squint's LP from 2010 which set the template for the later SA Soulsbourne runs. It's very good, but it's also from the era when youtube was still kinda crap -- the primary hosts were viddler and blip.tv -- and HD capture was expensive so the video quality is a bit pants by the standards of today. This may or may not matter to you.

E:

ApeHawk posted:

I know this was asked a few days ago, but this guys I follow (from SuperBestFriendsPlay) started streaming a playthrough of the game a week ago.

Thanks for the tip, I checked it out. He's definitely more personable than the youtubers I saw, no funny voices or extended lore digressions, but it's not exactly what I was looking for either. I guess I knew that Pillars not really a good game for video LPs in general, so I ended up just starting a new playthrough of my own.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 6, 2017

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Someone here got me into HarshlyCritical recently and I just found this video where he retsupraes his own LP channel from 5 years ago, his username being very apt. It's pretty much my favorite video on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTkY4BzxMfM

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
are there any LPs of eye divine cybermancy that explains what the hell is going on?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Now that Dazz's Dark Souls 3 LP is presumably dead, what's the best informative LP of it? I enjoyed her blind playthrough but I'd like to see a complete thorough playthrough of the game too.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Kuvo posted:

are there any LPs of eye divine cybermancy that explains what the hell is going on?

That would require someone who knows what the hell is going on. I've finished it and all I know is my legs are ok.

This is probably the closest anyone's going to get to figuring it out.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm trying to find fun LPs with people having a good time playing video games - I'm thinking similar to geop's group stuff, or Saints Row 2, or the coffee men. Any suggestions? Preferably dumb with lots of laughs

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Now that Dazz's Dark Souls 3 LP is presumably dead, what's the best informative LP of it? I enjoyed her blind playthrough but I'd like to see a complete thorough playthrough of the game too.

IGgy IGsen's doing a dual LP of Dark Souls 3, a thorough playthrough where you see everything and a casual runaround, over here. It's pretty great, although he's not quite done yet.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 8, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jordbo posted:

I'm trying to find fun LPs with people having a good time playing video games - I'm thinking similar to geop's group stuff, or Saints Row 2, or the coffee men. Any suggestions? Preferably dumb with lots of laughs

friend have you watched New Super Mario Bros Wii?

Playlist here

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Hm. What's the best blind let's plays some of you goons have seen?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Leon Cross posted:

Dark Souls by Geop & co. because Geop's the only one whose blind, while his co-commentators aren't, but tend to lead him into disaster anyways through either being too cryptic for their own good or outright lies.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Technowolf posted:

Dark Souls by Geop & co. because Geop's the only one whose blind, while his co-commentators aren't, but tend to lead him into disaster anyways through either being too cryptic for their own good or outright lies.
He also did Wind Waker HD blind, and ate the onion.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Leon Cross posted:

I'm a big fan of slowbeef bumbling through Metroid Prime and its sequels but have no idea how well that aged. I think they had the blind player/co-commentating expert dynamic first as well.

edit:

Jordbo posted:

I still maintain Mercenaries 2 is the funniest LP ever made. The amount of cooperative fuckery is second to none.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 8, 2017

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

i have not! i'll check that out, thanks

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

anilEhilated posted:

I'm a big fan of slowbeef bumbling through Metroid Prime and its sequels but have no idea how well that aged. I think they had the blind player/co-commentating expert dynamic first as well.

It's still pretty good. Could stand to be more edited, but it was six years ago.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm partial to DrTempest and Nietzschean/Addamere's playthrough of DS1, because while Geop has a fairly cautious playstyle DrTempest is a lot more brash. Somehow he managed to barrel his way through the game without using any shields, and at a fairly quick pace as well. (Geop & co. also have spawned a lot of dumb in-jokes, which have slowly metastasized from "cute" to "eye-rolling" if you're not one of the co-commentators.)

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I still maintain Mercenaries 2 is the funniest LP ever made. The amount of cooperative fuckery is second to none.

cannot agree enough. I love this LP so much, and to this day every time I'm having a bad time I'll watch this again to laugh at it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jordbo posted:

Boy do I have the groups for you.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuh9wAVb1zT3KgUGxwY7VmVYmMgM4PmSa
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuh9wAVb1zT2HQX6ZUJ9oH_vKEzyDrwXx

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuhyyy6nra7WB2OQwvMEFeY8EJ9tRrdZ5
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuhyyy6nra7Vyy_OaIQ02mZMfrOlVBsbd

They're very different to Geop's group though. Those guys are more like a 'go off the wall talking about random poo poo and having a good laugh about it' group than anything.

Leon Cross posted:

Geop's Asura's Wrath LP

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
FaerieFortune is currently doing a blind LP of Majora's Mask and ChaosArgate is doing a really funny blind run at Bloodborne with Artix, liquidypoo, Jobbo_Fett and CJacobs along as occasional co commentators and co-op partners/invaders.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Thanks. I'll check those out.

I watch Faerie every now and then, but I have to take it in small dosses.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

thanks for all the suggestions friends, lots of good fun stuff! :cheerdoge:

fibio
Apr 3, 2015
Hey all, I spotted the Sunless Sea devs were doing a kickstarters and realised that, despite sinking hours into Sunless Sea, I'd barely scratched the surface of their last game. Anyone got any good LPs of the game to recomend?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

fibio posted:

Hey all, I spotted the Sunless Sea devs were doing a kickstarters and realised that, despite sinking hours into Sunless Sea, I'd barely scratched the surface of their last game. Anyone got any good LPs of the game to recomend?

As far as I know there's only one, but people seem to like it http://lparchive.org/Sunless-Sea/

Megidolaon
Feb 13, 2017
After lurking the LP archive for the last several years I've finally run out of LPs that interest me. Surprisingly, it's a small list because any idiot can play a game, but what I really like to see are commented challenge runs. Orange Fluffy Sheep set the gold standard with his low(ish) level game of FF7 that kept Tifa at level 7 so I'd like to see some LPs like that. It doesn't have to be limited to JRPGs.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

OFS did a similar thing in Mega64's FFIX LP, and Dr. Pepper did one of FFV in its own thread/archive entry.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

There's always DoctorKill's Zelda threads, where he plays Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask completely wrong. I can't speak for the MM one since I haven't seen it but the OoT one is great, with dungeons being done in the wrong order, at the wrong time, with the wrong items, with a level of skill that borders on wizardry.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

There's always DoctorKill's Zelda threads, where he plays Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask completely wrong. I can't speak for the MM one since I haven't seen it but the OoT one is great, with dungeons being done in the wrong order, at the wrong time, with the wrong items, with a level of skill that borders on wizardry.

I can confirm that both of them are great.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Quovak did low level Chrono Trigger - Chrono at level 1 for the entire game, minimal exp for the others. He has a very verbose and in depth analysis of the game itself as well, which I loved.

https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Trigger/

Megidolaon
Feb 13, 2017

AlphaKretin posted:

OFS did a similar thing in Mega64's FFIX LP, and Dr. Pepper did one of FFV in its own thread/archive entry.

I've gone through the FF9 LP but FFV is new for me so I'll have to check that out in the next couple days. Thanks

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Quovak did low level Chrono Trigger - Chrono at level 1 for the entire game, minimal exp for the others. He has a very verbose and in depth analysis of the game itself as well, which I loved.

https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Trigger/

Another very good LP, one I even played along with. It looks like I'm more caught up with things than I realized I did a quick glance at the FF9 topic and assumed it was super old but no it's actually relatively recent so barring FFV I'm probably caught up, thanks for the suggestions though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
OFS also did a Final Fantasy Tactics LP. It wasn't a low level run, but he still showed a mastery of the systems and completely rolled over a few of the games challenges. Might still be your style.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I really like LPs of weird, old games. In particular, I enjoyed mzbundifund and Bacter's playthrough of Amulets & Armor and davidspackage's playthrough of Stonekeep. Are there any other good LPs that show off games I am unlikely to have ever played?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Do you need to be familiar with the games or is it really obvious how wrong it is?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tiggum posted:

Do you need to be familiar with the games or is it really obvious how wrong it is?

Basic familiarity with the game helps, but it's pretty obviously wrong and he often explains what's supposed to happen instead, as I remember it.

E: For OoT, anyway, I haven't watched MM either

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Tiggum posted:

Knowledge of both games' general progressions is helpful because it lets you appreciate just how much he's messing up the intended order doing everything. He does explain all of the tricks he uses though. The first couple of episodes for Ocarina are a little rough because he was figuring out his formula but afterwards the whole thing becomes much better streamlined while remaining absolutely crazy. WIth Majora's Mask he also did a randomized run of the game that tested his skills and ability since the game could put any item anywhere and he had to go scavenger hunt for them. Both are really good.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Man I was looking for someone who's LPing the HD rerelease of Dream Drop Distance because I don't have a PS4, and every single one has the most obnoxious Youtube LPer ever attached.

What I'm saying is, does anyone know of an LP being done of it right now that's a) tolerable and b) by someone who enjoys it?

If I had a PS4, I'd do it myself; it's that bad.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Any good "in character" Let's Plays?

I've recently been enjoying the Krillian Play's that TFS puts out, and was wondering if anyone else does anything similar (without it sucking rear end, anyways).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leon Cross posted:

Any good "in character" Let's Plays?

I've recently been enjoying the Krillian Play's that TFS puts out, and was wondering if anyone else does anything similar (without it sucking rear end, anyways).

Phone posting so linking is a bitch and a half, but Google "Goldvision Pacifist GTA" he tries to attempt to play GTA 5 multiplayer without hurting anyone or littering.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 15, 2017