Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
So I just sold a couple of items on ebay to help pay for my sweet new Ryzen build and I accidentally swapped the shipping labels so both items went to the wrong buyer. FML.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Aesculus posted:

How is the quad-core at 3.2ghz doing better than the octa-core at 4ghz per core :psyduck:

Too much thread ripping, they get all jammed up when you put them together, like Three Stooges Syndrome? Or a big ol' cache miss, like this guy did:

Bareback Werewolf posted:

So I just sold a couple of items on ebay to help pay for my sweet new Ryzen build and I accidentally swapped the shipping labels so both items went to the wrong buyer. FML.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Aesculus posted:

How is the quad-core at 3.2ghz doing better than the octa-core at 4ghz per core :psyduck:

The per core numbers seem to be just the total score divided by the # of cores so since the benchmark doesn't scale perfectly with additional cores any CPU with more cores will be disadvantaged on that chart.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

another wrinkle is that the 6-core seems to have the full 16mb of cache on the die to use -- which means it could be better than both the 4c and 8c in some contexts.

part of the reason why the 5820k is in the absolute price-perf sweet spot is because of the relatively fatass cache they have on it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So Intel CPUs are still going to be better for gaming?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

spasticColon posted:

if you're playing games that use only one or two threads, sure, but AMD CPUs will no longer bottleneck videocards as hard as they used to, plus if you do actual work (things like autoCAD etc) the price of a good home system went down by at least $550

also, encoding 144fps or 4k video is now on the menu for people who have at most $1000-1200 to spend on a platform

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Mr.Radar posted:

I've read that it's because those benchmarks heavily use AVX and Ryzen's AVX implementation is only "half width" (i.e. it processes AVX data in two 128-bit chunks whereas Intel's implementation can processes all 256-bits in one go) to save on transistors and power. Presumably that's something they'll address on the next generation Zen chips.

AMD chips are traditionally 2 x 128 bits here, i.e. one 256-bit op per clock.

Intel has 2 full 256 bit units (as of Haswell), so two 256-bit ops per clock

It's not so much the dual half units (that's actually better for non-AVX code, no disadvantage vs Intel there), but that Intel's chip have doubled up AVX resources, including a cache subsystem that can sustain it.

As pointed out, Intel's advantage is a bit reduced because their chips must downclock when the dual units are in use. But there's certainly linear algebra or even machine learning code that can make full use of the AVX units. That's also the kind of code that likes GPUs. So it's a bit of a wash - certainly a very reasonable trade-off from AMD.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a reasonable tradeoff on the whole, but it’s a little (but only a little) like the FDIV bug:

Sure, it probably won’t affect you, but you never know when you’ll run some code where it does matter.

It’s tempting to pay the Intel tax and guarantee that can’t happen.

No one has ever been fired for choosing Intel.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Platystemon posted:

I'm sure Synology, Cisco, and a number of other network vendors will beg to differ.

https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/5sbh7u/cisco_clock_issues_caused_by_faulty_intel_atom/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm sure Synology, Cisco, and a number of other network vendors will beg to differ.

https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/5sbh7u/cisco_clock_issues_caused_by_faulty_intel_atom/

No one was fired for that outside of Intel because no one outside of Intel could possibly have known about the issue at the time of purchase.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

It’s a reasonable tradeoff on the whole, but it’s a little (but only a little) like the FDIV bug:

Sure, it probably won’t affect you, but you never know when you’ll run some code where it does matter.

Bullshit analogy. The chips don't produce wrong results.

If you run code like this and it's important for you, you already know about it, because you're wondering why your Intel servers aren't running anywhere near the advertised clocks and/or TDP. poo poo will look like this:

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
stepping : 3
microcode : 0x1e
cpu MHz : 2299.999

That's "Intel tax" for you.

Now, it'll remains to be seen what the real life performance is, but there's a good chance that twice the amount of 3.4Ghz Ryzen cores leaves this 3.4Ghz-really-2.3Ghz Intel Xeon in the dust, despite the AVX disadvantage.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Platystemon posted:

No one was fired for that outside of Intel because no one outside of Intel could possibly have known about the issue at the time of purchase.
people have been fired from intel, for other people choosing intel :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

repiv posted:

Firestrike doesn't use AVX so you wouldn't expect to see any benefit from Intel's beefier SIMD units there.

That's kind of the point though - it's hard to care about Intel's AVX advantage when next to nothing actually utilizes those instructions.
Serious Sam 3 I guess...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skuto posted:

If you run code like this and it's important for you, you already know about it, because you're wondering why your Intel servers aren't running anywhere near the advertised clocks and/or TDP. poo poo will look like this:

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
stepping : 3
microcode : 0x1e
cpu MHz : 2299.999

That's "Intel tax" for you.

Now, it'll remains to be seen what the real life performance is, but there's a good chance that twice the amount of 3.4Ghz Ryzen cores leaves this 3.4Ghz-really-2.3Ghz Intel Xeon in the dust, despite the AVX disadvantage.
haswell/broadwell-e work at full speed with avx though

it just causes your cooling solution and possibly both the internal (CPU) and external VRMs to go :supaburn:

but yeah comparing this at all to a FDIV bug is just intel tramp stamping

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skuto posted:

The FDIV bug affected like 0.00000001% of operand combinations, and the results were only subtly wrong.

The negative perception was far in excess of the concern the problem warranted for most people.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yeah sure it's no big deal when hundreds of millions of research equipment in late 90s dollars are on the line with that kind of bug

half speed AVX? stop the presses :jerkbag:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s no big deal when hundreds of millions of dollars of research equipment are doing the work of half of hundreds of millions of dollars of research equipment.

No one is choosing between half‐speed AVX or erroneous FDIV. They can both be bad things. :ssh:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Speaking of weird outliers:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Platystemon posted:

It’s no big deal when hundreds of millions of dollars of research equipment are doing the work of half of hundreds of millions of dollars of research equipment.

No one is choosing between half‐speed AVX or erroneous FDIV. They can both be bad things. :ssh:
one drawback is listed as such in specs and company literature. the other is something someone found when their measurements kept loving up. how you think the two are comparable in fuckup scope is something only kyle bennett can comprehend or rationalize

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

It’s a psychological point. Not a technical one.

Next time I’ll stick with car analogies.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

that'd be prudent

but the car analogy would be the car going at 120mph tops and the speedometer scale is maximum 150 and the owners manual and sales literature tells you as much, while the other car can go up to 240mph and the speedometer goes up to 300, but veers ever so slightly to the right "desert bus" style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBr7EhL6Jpg

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 14, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

that'd be prudent

AMD’s car goes the same speed as Intel’s and costs 30% less.

Except if your destination address is a divisible by 486, in which case AMD’s car is only half as fast. To be fair, the manual did mention this, and the guy at the Intel dealership wouldn’t shut up about it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 14, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

"aw, this was in the loving brochure too! x86 hovercars were a mistake. i'm selling this and going to buy a POWER hovercar"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

But what does Kyle Bennet drive?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 14, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

But what does Kyle Bennet drive?
Toyota MR2

(this is a deep, deep reference)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Aesculus posted:

spasticColon posted:

They're random rear end leaked half benchmarks, just wait for real reviews.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

haswell/broadwell-e work at full speed with avx though

it just causes your cooling solution and possibly both the internal (CPU) and external VRMs to go :supaburn:

The numbers I quoted were a Haswell Xeon, which dips far below the rated clock speed. At least Haswell-EP downclocks to the base frequency (so less than 4-core Turbo) too.

Depends on your definition of "full speed", I guess.

eames
May 9, 2009

Daily dose of Ryzen leaks!

Passmark benchmarks of the R1700X

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-amd-ryzen-details-and-pricing-leaks/

Better single core IPC than Kaby Lake — to be taken with :salt:

clockspeeds:

https://notebookspec.com/pc-cpu/AMD-Ryzen-3-1100/254
https://notebookspec.com/pc-cpu/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200X/255
https://notebookspec.com/pc-cpu/AMD-Ryzen-5-1300/256
https://notebookspec.com/pc-cpu/AMD-Ryzen-5-1400X/257
https://notebookspec.com/pc-cpu/AMD-Ryzen-5-1500/258
https://notebookspec.com/pc-cpu/AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/259
https://notebookspec.com/pc-cpu/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/260
https://notebookspec.com/pc-cpu/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X/261
https://notebookspec.com/pc-cpu/AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X/262

eames fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 14, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

eames posted:

Daily dose of Ryzen leaks!

Better single core IPC than Kaby Lake — to be taken with :salt:

Not pictured: The mountain of salt needed.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

What's the Intel offering at ~$150? Those low end CPUs are looking a little anemic clockspeed wise.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

NewFatMike posted:

What's the Intel offering at ~$150? Those low end CPUs are looking a little anemic clockspeed wise.

There is the i3-7300 2C/4T at 4GHz for $150, but you are probably better off with a Pentium G4560 at 3.5GHz for $65 since the Pentiums now have hyperthreading just like the i3s. There is the i5-6400 4C at 3.3GHz boost for $180 too which seems like a better deal than the i3 even with the lower clock speeds.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Josh Lyman posted:

Toyota MR2

(this is a deep, deep reference)

I remember this reference but it's been so long I forgot the origin :doh:

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Arzachel posted:

Speaking of weird outliers:
Ubisoft games are well known for performing well with high clock speeds vs IPC. Far Cry 4, for example, scales almost perfectly with clock speed, not IPC. They do this specifically because its less work to make games perform well cross-platform. Then, of course, there are outliers like AssCreed 4. Ubisoft is not very consistent. (as shown in your post by 5960X still getting the highest performance)

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/derrickgott007/status/831509055424360451

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I can't wait for Easter AMD tweets. :doh:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

My Z68 motherboard died. If I can't source a local replacement, a refurb from HK would get here at around the same time as the Ryzen preorders are supposed to start.

Tempted to double down and sprinkle some tax return love on AMD. I don't regret my Fury yet, I'll play ginuea pig. I really want to see what this will do with a nice AIO like the H110X or w/e

So I guess this but unironically maybe?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: Threadripper? I Hardly Know Her!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

RyuHimora posted:

Ubisoft games are well known for performing well with high clock speeds vs IPC. Far Cry 4, for example, scales almost perfectly with clock speed, not IPC. They do this specifically because its less work to make games perform well cross-platform. Then, of course, there are outliers like AssCreed 4. Ubisoft is not very consistent. (as shown in your post by 5960X still getting the highest performance)

That's not the case with Watchdogs 2. It scales so well with extra threads that a 2600k and :siren:8350:siren: beat a 6600k.

Aesculus posted:

The prime number and physics benchmarks mostly scale off the memory latency. A guy on the anandtech forums posted his scores with various memory setting and going from 18ns to 9ns got him a >75% increase in those two. Basically:

Gwaihir posted:

They're random rear end leaked half benchmarks, just wait for real reviews.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
PCPer + Kanter + Zen Discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plXoBXFodHI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I really only care about increasing my FPS in Overwatch. Currently I have an i5 4570, 8GB DDR3 1600, and a GTX 1060 6GB. My modest setup averages roughly 120 FPS with the "Ultra" graphic preset.

Would a 4C/8T or 6C/12T Ryzen with whatever budget mainboard and DDR4 RAM get me considerably more Overwatch FPS?

• Locked thread